PDA

View Full Version : Seg groups please provide leadership ids

Itsi Atkins
07-05-2003, 04:06 PM
I would like to have a list of email addresses for the leadership spokespersons for each group. It would be very helpful to have this lists in order to send out news and mail. Please if possible send me or post the 1st and 2nd names of those who have been selected to speak for your group. Thanks, itsi atkins, segwaynyny@aol.com

Neelix
07-05-2003, 04:12 PM
Itsi, can you offer any tips on getting Segway groups together? I would love it if we started one here in the Bay Area.

-------------------------
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.

Itsi Atkins
07-05-2003, 05:35 PM
Someone needs to just do it. Be a self appointed leader call the shots and see if it works. What is the lastest concerning SF bans on Segways.

Neelix
07-05-2003, 05:55 PM
Still illegal. The law defines an EPAMD as "a self-balancing, nontandem two-wheeled device, that can turn in place and is designed to transport only one person, with an electric propulsion system averaging less than 750 watts (one horsepower)."

For some reason, the one horsepower part seems weird to me, like I read somewhere that the Segway averages 2 horsepower, or something like that.

It also says that it is a device designed to transport one person. What would happen if we attached a "baby seat" to the control shaft? Would we not be classified as a EPAMD in that situation?

Edit
----------
After reading it again, I saw the "two wheels" comment. What if every SF glider put a decorative wheel somewhere on the Seg?

-------------------------
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.

opti6600
07-06-2003, 12:40 AM
Well, if I had ever met one of the few Miami Seggers, I'd be happy to declare myself their leader...but they're few and far between.

god1138
07-06-2003, 06:31 PM
If there is a Houston Area group, I'd like to think of myself as the leader of the pack. I'm still organizing and trying to get an active group that meets regularly together, so for what it's worth, I'm sure no one else down here minds me taking the initiative.

-Robert
"BORN TO GLIDE"

ftropea
07-06-2003, 06:39 PM
Just wanted to let the forum/community know..

As Itsi is aware, something is currently being worked on to satisfy the growing need for local groups to stay in touch with each other (and with the leads from other groups), form their own riding groups and meet on/discuss local issues - so stay tuned for a solution :)

Side note: Please become familiar with this forum's current policy about linking to other community/forum sites. If you have any questions, please send me an email.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

[/sc] Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me (segwaychat@segwaychat.com)

Sunday
07-06-2003, 06:49 PM
That sounds neat! Maybe there could be a link here that is titled Clubs or Owners Groups or something. Then people could just click it, and see if there is anything listed for their area. It would be great if Segway had something like this on their site for people. Then folks could get together who want demos, but haven't yet heard of this site.

Just rambling,

Mark Sunday

vpv
07-07-2003, 01:24 AM
It's seems like my post here about how to setup an email list at Yahoo Groups for local segway groups have been censored by Frank Tropea. Frank, I don't know what your FEAR about losing members, but I think your overboard.

Since I cannot link the LA Segway community here, (something that SC admins are so scared about).. I will just say that you can go to yahoo groups and form your own local segway group along with an email list that will allow you to communicate as a group. This is something missing in SC and hope that it's offered in the future..

ftropea
07-07-2003, 01:44 AM
vpv - check your email. We've exchanged about 5 - 6 emails in the last week about this. Also, check the terms of service, again.

Members should form their own local groups - there is no doubt about that. We're still working out the mechanism by which this site can be used for that purpose. As we discussed, you used the site's "contact us" feature to mass mail a large number of users. That's a "no-no" - check your emails and your responses to me for a refresher.

To put it simply.. If you need to attract a large number of users to your message service, I suggest you establish a site, get it listed in the search engines and then open registration to those members who wish to subscribe to your service. That's what we did here and it worked, although it did take some time.

Having said that, we're working on providing the 'mechanism' to satisfy this need. In the meantime, please respect the rules of this site. If that isn't satisfactory, please send me a private email so that we can discuss your concerns.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

[/sc] Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me (segwaychat@segwaychat.com)

vpv
07-07-2003, 01:50 AM
Frank:
Excuse me but I was responding to Itsy and Neelix question on how to form an email list. That response included a link to the yahoo group site that anyone can search if they go to Yahoo and search for "Segway". I put the link for convenience so that Neelix can see what I'm talkin about... This response was in no way a SPAM or a plug for that site.... so.. no reason for an admin censor.

ftropea
07-07-2003, 01:54 AM
vpv - no need to drive this thread off topic. Check my previous, and most recent, emails to you about this issue. In the context of our previous correspondence, I think you of all members should have the greatest understanding.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

vpv
07-07-2003, 02:09 AM
ok.. let's start all over..

Neelix.. to answer your question about "getting [local] Segway group together" What I have done is setup a group email list in Yahoo Groups. You can search it using Segway as a keyword. With this email list you can email members who chose to sign up in this list and everyone will be able to communite to each other via email. There may be other tools out there that can do the same effect. This is the one I know of that will accomodate this purpose. While the mechanism is being setup in SC and we hope that someday, the SC site will be able to do this, you can for the meantime use this tool.

Itsi Atkins
07-07-2003, 11:45 AM
vpv, I just wanted to list in my aol email address book, the presidents of all the city groups. This would enable me to send a note to the other guys.I need to know who they are. I am dedicated to the use of SegwayChat for all information and communications and find no other reason to use any other sites. If you are the elected leader of the LA group please send me your groups info. thanks,

vpv
07-07-2003, 11:16 PM
Itsi:
We didn't have a formal election of a group leader for the LA group last meeting. I will bring this up in our next meeting and will keep you updated.
All I did is setup a group email list for the convenience of the LA group because SC currently cannot provide such function, therefore the need for the other site.

pt
07-07-2003, 11:29 PM
vpv-

if there were web forums for each group, would that be useful?

cheers,
pt

Itsi Atkins
07-07-2003, 11:50 PM
Please don’t start a divide between east and west and LA and NY. I spent half my life working in LA and consider it my second home. Segway is new as are the groups,and the organizations that support the owners. It would be best for all to work with Frank and SegwayChat to develop what is needed to fulfill the needs of the groups. You know it will be NY/LA, which leads the others, and we have always had a spirit of competition, but starting a new way to communicate will only lead to a weakening of the power structure of the entire group of owners. We need worldwide unification and it would be a tragedy to start off with LA/NY on different threads or having any attitudes other than total support. Nobody is making money, the efforts and dedication of the Segway owners leadership, is all out of love for the machine.
Please get LA organized, stay with what is working and Yahoo is not the place! Make peace with SegwayChat and please have some tolerance , things are moving fast and the legal battles are just beginning. We need to be united under one site. Thanks itsi atkins

RAG1247
07-08-2003, 12:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by Itsi Atkins

Please don’t start a divide between east and west and LA and NY. I spent half my life working in LA and consider it my second home. Segway is new as are the groups,and the organizations that support the owners. It would be best for all to work with Frank and SegwayChat to develop what is needed to fulfill the needs of the groups. You know it will be NY/LA, which leads the others, and we have always had a spirit of competition, but starting a new way to communicate will only lead to a weakening of the power structure of the entire group of owners. We need worldwide unification and it would be a tragedy to start off with LA/NY on different threads or having any attitudes other than total support. Nobody is making money, the efforts and dedication of the Segway owners leadership, is all out of love for the machine.
Please get LA organized, stay with what is working and Yahoo is not the place! Make peace with SegwayChat and please have some tolerance , things are moving fast and the legal battles are just beginning. We need to be united under one site. Thanks itsi atkins

Itsi

I certainly support Frank and his work and this forum and hopefully a method will be arrived at within this forum, so that emails can be sent to all members in a given state or geographical area. pt's comments about web forums for each group within SegwayChat may accomplish this, such as the individual forums for selling stuff, etc. Having said that I also think it is important that all areas continue somehow to post areas of interest that all members can see and be better informed without having to go through 36 separate forums.

I look forward to Frank's progress and I guess we in other areas will have to wait for NY and LA to lead us, since you somehow feel that such areas are ahead of the curve.

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale
http://www.sonyguy.com/stars_rag2.gif[/img=left] [i]If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around you

vpv
07-08-2003, 12:18 AM
pt.. web forum for each group is not ideal since it's already being used here by creating new topics.

Itsi..
Your original post of asking email addresses from different groups is the whole reason for the yahoo email list. Currently, to email segway members of a particular regional location you have to do a search under SC and then email each member at a time (very ineffective). With Yahoo group list, you can email everyone in a group all at the same time by using ONE email address (edited by admin) for that particular group instead of trying to remember 20+ individual email addresses. This is in no way divides or detracts anyone from being united in the use and enjoyment of Segway. Instead it's a more effective and organized way of communicating within a group. Something that is lacking in this site.(email list, that is). And I've always stated that if this function is provided by SC then there is no need for yahoo email list, but for now the yahoo email list is a practical solution.

Again, I'm only talking about regional (group) EMAIL LIST, not a new discussion forum or site.

pt
07-08-2003, 12:23 AM
vpv-

so if there was a forum group called "la-segway" here:
http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/default.asp?CAT_ID=1

would that work?

cheers,
pt

ftropea
07-08-2003, 12:27 AM
Admin note..

At this point, this thread is more about "sites and resources" for Segway HT owners.. so it has been moved to the appropriate forum.

Also, vpv - enough is enough. Continued violation of the TOS will result in your account being suspended.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Brooster
07-08-2003, 12:34 AM
VPV ... I think it's being suggested that you just lay low on this issue. Will we see you at SegwayFest?

Brooster

RAG1247
07-08-2003, 12:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by pt

vpv-

so if there was a forum group called "la-segway" here:
http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/default.asp?CAT_ID=1

would that work?

cheers,
pt

pt

I think that might work. however, if someone posts something of importance as to operation, maintenance, etc., etc. in the Idaho forum, how then would those in other areas be aware of such inof (without having to read multiple forums. maybe when it was posted you could select local or national forum or both.

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale
http://www.sonyguy.com/stars_rag2.gif[/img=left] [i]If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around you

vpv
07-08-2003, 12:38 AM
pt.. think of it this way... if there's an event just for LA (eg, meeting #3), I don't think it would be effective to send it to all 1000 members of this SC site. This event i think only applies to the LA group, or the NY group, or the WA group, etc. Therefore the need to communicate only to that particular group.

I don't know if a web based forum group would be effective either because 99% of the time, when users turn on their computers, the first thing they check is their email, then they check web updates. Therefore the need for a group email list to communicate.

Then again, a group email list should be voluntary not mandatory. Just because one lives in LA doesn't mean that one need to be a member of an LA group email list. I would suggest to visit the Yahoo group site and see how it work sand maybe mimic the same functionalities in this site.

vpv
07-08-2003, 12:40 AM
frank..
please chill.. we're discussing how we can improve this site.. what violation are you talkin about? please be more detail.
Thanks.

ftropea
07-08-2003, 12:47 AM
vpv -

If you have a suggestion to improve the site, please post it here:

Site Announcements & Feedback (http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6)
For site related announcements, comments, suggestions, problems and bug reports.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

vpv
07-08-2003, 12:50 AM
Brooster:
How can you lay low on this issue if your Admin continues to threaten to suspend your account when all we're doing is chat about how a group communicates. He thinks there's a violation on this topic. Has anyone seen any link on THIS TOPIC "to a yahoo group, forum site or mailing list"? IS THIS A CENSORED SITE?? I don't know where this bad karma is coming from.

ftropea
07-08-2003, 12:55 AM
vpv - don't even go there.. I have your deleted/edited threads backed up. Just because they're no longer visible doesn't mean they don't exist and that the other moderators aren't already aware of them. Nice try.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Itsi Atkins
07-08-2003, 01:07 AM
This is my last post on this topic, but Richard don’t take my point of leadership as a geographic slap. I pay real estate taxes in Broward County, but in NYC trying to promote and organize Segway owners. Why one because it’s too hot in Ft. Lauderdale, but second this is where the media, financial power base lies. This is where the imposing ban on Segways in the largest city in the US is going to do monumental damage to the acceptance of Segways. We have been able to have 2 meeting each with 12 – 15 members. When we have our third it will produce about 24-30 members, not bad in 8 weeks. So yes NY and LA due to populations and many other reasons will probably be the point of the Segway spear, Please do not take it personal, as Florida is already passed legal status and will come in #3.
Regards from a fellow property owner and resident of Ft. Lauderdale.

Itsi Atkins
07-08-2003, 01:51 AM
Florida will need to fight Chicago for 3rd and if LA blinks Chi town might place, good idea, itsi lets get a top racehouse named Segway to run at Arlington.