PDA

View Full Version : NY Segway Club's 2nd meeting (with Special guest!)

ftropea
07-03-2003, 12:41 AM
Hello all,

I'm still a bit overwhelmed so I'll apologize in advance for neglecting to mention every detail of tonight's NY Segway HT owner's meeting... but the highlight of which was our special guest, Dean Kamen!

The club met at around 6:00-6:30PM - Carnegie Deli in Manhattan (on 7th avenue and 55th street - close to Central Park.) I think there were about 15 - 17 folks in attendance.. most brought their Segs. We were able to bring our Segs inside the deli and line them up against a wall behind our table, as per an arrangement with the deli's ownership.. they didn't have a problem with that :)

We ordered our food and had a quick meeting.. went over issues such as the NYC legal status.. Itsi provided "Segway" riding maps of the city.. David Rose gave all the Seg owners one month free wi-fi access for laptops and portable, throughout the city's hotspots.. exchanged stories and riding experience..

But then we were rudely interrupted by Dean Kamen, Stacy Ferguson and a close friend to Dean (I won't mention his name.. I didn't ask him if he would mind.) Dean sat with us and ordered a pastrami sandwich and cream soda.. told us a bunch of stories.. some stuff to share, and of course - in typical Dean fashion - a lot of stuff we can't!

Dean spoke about the NY legal situation and looked for feedback. Stacy sat apart from my group and went over strategy with some other owners.. It was a large group and a fairly noisy atmosphere, so it was difficult to include everyone in the conversation. I was lucky enough to sit directly across from Dean so I got an earful of what he's been up to.. From the great stuff going on with the Keolis group in Paris (thanks to David Rose for reading the Keolis brochure to Dean and company - which was entirely in French. That David is really well rounded!)

Dean was totally jazzed about the Chicago Fest.. he can't wait. He mentioned he loves the site and reads it often.. He talked about the Bush demo (the whole story behind the purchase.. him going to do the training.. etc.) Good news - there are 15 - 20 Segway HTs going to the NYPD! They're already using them! Apparently they were already used to patrol a parade.. we had no idea. Dean left us with a lot of positive thoughts so I think everyone walked away feeling better about the NY situation and Dean/Segway's commitment to getting us legal. Also, I saw a lot of business cards exchanged.. One owner (you know who you are) created a biz card on the spot (by writing behind one of the deli napkins) and gave it to Dean.. :-D

At some point, Itsi asked that I come up.. we had a present for Dean.. One was a watch with an inscription for him.. and the other was a group photo from out first meet.. matted and signed by some of the members in attendance.

But then a surprise.. I was presented with a couple of awards. Dean gave a speech about how everyone accuses Segway of spending all sorts of money on marketing.. when it's really the passion and dedication of the owners that's making it happen.. it all led up to me getting the "1st Annual PAVE Award - For outstanding service and dedication - Promotion - Advancement - Visibility - Education - Helping pave the way for Segway" - signed Dean Kamen and Itsi Akins, our club's first president.. I think we elected him pres today! :)

I also got the very first of what will be an annual award.. (see photo below - the tire mounted on a backing, adorned with rhinestones and a group photo) - "Segway NY NY Owner's Group - For outstanding service and dedication.)

We eventually made it outside.. talked some more. We did lots of demos.. even chatted with cops about the Segways.. all smiles and no problems. Dean brought his p/metro Segway.. and his blue key :) Dean let everyone ride it.. even though it's *his* Segway and "nobody" rides it (yeah, right).. Dean gave in :)

Thanks to Itsi Atkins for making this happen, big time!
Thanks to Stacy Ferguson (the enabler) and Dean Kamen for spending time with us.

There is so much more.. I'm hoping the other owners in attendance will help fill in the details. I didn't get to take a lot of photos with my camera (too busy listening and chatting).. but here are the shots (some I took - some SegwayBill took for me.. thanks Bill!)

PLEASE - PLEASE - to those who got photos, post them up here as well or email them to me :)

/images/dean-azeeza.jpg

/images/frank-points-dean.jpg

/images/frank-gets-award1.jpg

/images/frank-gets-award.jpg

/images/group.jpg

/images/leonardo-dean.jpg

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

[/sc] Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me (segwaychat@segwaychat.com)

god1138
07-03-2003, 12:49 AM
Frank,

All of this post -- everything -- is fantastic! I'm really glad to hear you and the New York crowd have it all going on and one day, just one day, I hope I can have the Houston crowd grouped up regularly to do the same.

Thanks for the story and news... and please let Dean know he's
welcome to come visit with me and the H-town gang A-N-Y-T-I-M-E!!!

All my Best!

-Robert
"BORN TO GLIDE"

Itsi Atkins
07-03-2003, 12:58 AM
checked the video and we have the entire awards on tape, thanks to Z. We really need to collect all photos of the group's members and put them on special NYNYSEG cd. Thanks and glad you had a great time and your hard work and support of the Segway from the early days is appreciated and expressed by giving you this award. (by the way, it was also Dean's idea to honor you.)

mzokc
07-03-2003, 01:23 AM
Thanks for sharing this special event. The award is wonderful, and you deserve it! Great to see the photos and all the fun!

Mark

Neelix
07-03-2003, 01:28 AM
Wow, you got to ride the HT that ran over my foot?! Cool!

Isn't it exciting meeting Dean! I wish that I could have sat down and talked with him like you guys.

May I use those photos in the compiliation video that I am making?

-------------------------
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.

LeonardoNYC
07-03-2003, 01:45 AM
Hey it was a great meeting and great to meet you all. I put up some pics and video highlights from the evening at this link:

http://www.falltour2.com/segway/nyc/

I look forward to our next meeting and seeing everyone in Chicago too!

For pics and info about gliding in Manhattan see my site at www.falltour2.com/segway/

Neelix
07-03-2003, 02:00 AM
I love the security guard thing, Leonardo!

"So, even a wheelchair couldn't ride on your property?"

ROFL

-------------------------
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.

Brooster
07-03-2003, 02:36 AM
Glidin' with Dean ... it's a beautiful thing! :D

Great job guys! And congratulations Frank! As they used to say in New York, "Who's better than you!?"

Man, I wish I was there! Not for Dean, but for the huge roast beef sandwiches at the Carnegie Deli ... LOL!

Seriously though ... Fantastic! Thanks for the wonderful report, guys. Chicago will be fun.

Broo

[:P][8]

Brooster

axiotek
07-03-2003, 09:52 AM
wow, Frank, that's just great, congrats, sounds like a very cool time.

www.segwayboston.org

statmed
07-03-2003, 10:00 AM
We all had a great time last night. Itsi and Frank did a marvelous job in putting this together and Frank well deserved the awards he received last night.

What impressed me the most is to see that Dean cares that much to spend some time with our group. It shows he really cares not only about his product and what legislation can do to it, but he cares about the people who purchase his product as well.

I've been a lifetime member of HOG (Harley Owners Group)and Willie G Davidson never did this.

But Dean, and his organization do care and it gives us even more respect for the man, his company and his machine.

H.M. Stern
statmed@optonline.net

I Love It When A Plan Comes Together (Hannibal Smith)

GlideMaster
07-03-2003, 11:11 AM
Great meeting guys, having had a similar opportunity I know how you feel about getting a chance to interact with the King Of Glide.

<center>The GlideMaster</center>
<center>SegFest 2003</center>
<center>There is no opportunity like the first opportunity</center>
<center>Be there or be square</center>

pam
07-03-2003, 11:11 AM
quote:What impressed me the most is to see that Dean cares that much to spend some time with our group. It shows he really cares not only about his product and what legislation can do to it, but he cares about the people who purchase his product as well.
H.M. Stern
statmed@optonline.net
I think this is what is going to make the SegwayFesT! so exciting. Dean and crew being there, and the excitement they have with not only their product, but also with us and our excitement with the HT.
Pam

L.I. Glider
07-03-2003, 11:31 AM
It was wonderful to meet and speak with Dean and Stacy. What an evening - there was so much going on and so many conversations. We heard Segway’s perspective concerning the NY state legislation and what it could mean to gliders in NYC and the rest of the state. We also heard how enthusiastic everyone at Segway is about the convention next month!

The SegwayNYNY group is a great bunch of people and it was nice seeing everyone again and welcoming some new members as well.

Many thanks to Itsi for organizing this meeting and congratulations to Frank on his well-deserved awards.

Regards,
Joanne

You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Mahatma Gandhi

segwayowner
07-03-2003, 12:02 PM
did DK just fly down on one of his helicopters? what did the p feel like?

DES: Segway owner

I Glide
07-03-2003, 12:06 PM
WOW, another excellent meeting. We had a great time and way too much food. The face to face discussions and real time dialog I think will help us understand what we can do to help shape gliding in New York. Talking with Stacy provided me with some good insight as to what’s happening with legislation here in NY and other places.

Demos galore, endless questions, abundant gilding, food, food, did I say food, friends and Dean. This was a meeting to remember. Major thanks to all who contributed.

Steve
---
Starboard!! ~~~/)~~~(\(\(\~(\~(\(\~(\(\~~~ Oops
---

AtlSeg
07-03-2003, 12:47 PM
Congrats, Frank!! You guys in NYC really have it together!!!

Dick (Richard) in Atlanta

chovey
07-03-2003, 12:53 PM
Hi Frank,

Many thanks for including me in your 2nd meeting. You deserve the praise I see you're getting. Sitting next to Stacey Ferguson gave me a chance to really get up to speed on Seg developments. She was very helpful. Meeting Dean also gave me a much better understanding of how Segway has developed to its current status. Pass my thanks on to Itsi also; he's a neighbor and I'm hopeful we'll get together soon.

I don't think I'll get to Chicago but I look forward to the next NYC meeting. Pls keep me in the loop.

Best wishes, Chandler Hovey

PS. I went to Paris last month and was treated royally by Sylvain Pernin of Keolis. I'd recommend that Segway fans use his Segs whenever they are in Paris. Segging is the best and only way to really see Paris.

SegwayBill
07-03-2003, 03:02 PM
Itsi and Frank
Thanks for a wonderful evening. Dean flew in his plane and has the glow of a truely special being and Stacey is the one who makes dean's dream work! The P model is lite and agile, Frank will probably one of the first to own one in NYC, Azeeza loved her demo.

Bill

lipinsky
07-03-2003, 10:27 PM
One day I will be in town to attend a NY meeting. Boy, it sounded like fun! Dang I missed it.

mac
07-03-2003, 10:29 PM
Frank, you SO deserve all this. Just this afternoon, Itsi remarked, if it wasn't for the 'chat', how long would it have taken for us all to find one another?? Forever, is the answer to that. Why, just last night, I discovered that Chandler cruises down 2nd Ave in the morning while I'm gliding up 3rd, and in the evening, the reverse! Our paths, though identical, will never cross.

Thanks again to Itsi for pulling all the right strings and filling in all the details - this meeting will last a long time in our minds. Happy Fourth y'all.

GyroGo
07-04-2003, 12:19 AM
WOW!

. . SegCenter.com (www.SegCenter.com) . .
StirlingInfo (www.StirlingInfo.com) StirlingChat (www.StirlingChat.com)

ftropea
07-04-2003, 07:07 PM
Mac, thanks for those kind words. There are many more Seggers out there and I'm sure we'll eventually find them, or they'll eventually find us through the site. It's all of you that make this a great place.

I'm sorry the other NY Seggers missed the meeting and the opportunity. By now, the entire club should know Itsi doesn't let 'ya down, so I hope to see more NYC representation at the August meet :)

Everyone have a happy & safe 4th of July. I'm here spending it with my family (we're visiting).. and yes, the Segway is here as well :)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

[/sc] Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me (segwaychat@segwaychat.com)

ElectraGlide
07-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Wow , nothing better than a NY glide with the "Dean of Gliding" himself, AND, a corned beef sandwich piled mountain high!! I'd love to sit and listen to Dean talk all day !

Steve

Itsi Atkins
07-07-2003, 07:58 PM
I hope the "special guests" for Aug 4th will be geekfactory,the two George's of Brooklyn and the other phantom owners who we have yet to meet.
Let's all really try to make it Aug 4th, Cafe Blue. If you want to consider some sort of rental transport to carry the segways to Chicago, let SegwayBill know. He is checking on several modes of transport.

Stan671
07-08-2003, 06:25 PM
Fantastic! Fantastic! Fansastic!

Frank, you deserve that award.

Itsi, you make good things happen.

Stan Dobrowski

macgeek
11-12-2004, 09:09 AM
Well, a year and many months later. - Me (being the newest member) of SegwayNYC - I am honored to be part of a group. and even though many people have disappeared and gone on with life. The new blood (and spirit) of NEW segway enthusiasts will keep the light burning bright as we glide off into the night. (aint that Poetic!)

Jonathan
(aka 'Macgeek')

Segway - "Let's Roll"
Centaur - "Lets Roll on all fours"
www.segwaygeek.com

Itsi Atkins
11-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Stan, your right. Who was it that at the steakhouse meeting brought a flyer for your election & expressed a strong opionion for you to run for SegAm. I am glad it worked out the way it did. I am all about NYC and you are doing a great job getting the rest of the US moving. Next step for both of us is to get the international users market under our fold and then take on the tours.
thanks Stan....keep up the dedicated work. itsi

macgeek
03-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Wow! - almost two years later, I'm a bit more jaded, but still in love with this device we call the segway!

Jonathan