PDA

View Full Version : Green Demo Key Offer - $10

toybuilder
06-25-2003, 05:13 AM
In light of the recent "Green Incident", I will make Green Demo keys for $10 (plus $2 for return postage via regular mail).

The Green Demo keys will be set to 4 mph (lowest I can make it) and turn rate "48". In comparison, the black key limit is 6 mph and has a turn rate of "60". (Originally, I said I was going to do the very slowest turn rate, but I realized that too slow of a turn rate at 4 mph is also a problem.)

I am ONLY doing Green demo keys. Please do not ask for any other keys.

<s>I have enough for making 5 keys right now. Please e-mail me if you're interested. If there is more interest, I will order additional parts.</s>

I now have more green key blanks again, and am re-offering Green Keys to people that want/need them.

http://www.pasadenasegway.org/
A bicycle in 1897 cost $25 ($2,200 today adjusted for inflation).
A Ford Model-T cost $850 in 1908 ($75,000 today adjusted for inflation).

(Updated with more information, plus updated price for postage which turned out to be higher than I originally thought.) (Updated to reflect availability of more keys.)

lipinsky
06-25-2003, 02:09 PM
Cool! That is very nice of you.

solarseg
08-21-2003, 10:53 PM
Hey Toymaker, I am a little concern that there is someone out there making seg keys. Can these not be used on stolen segs? And if so - so much for 16~32 bit encryption.

Deviant
08-22-2003, 11:06 PM
The keys do not have encryption, but more of a HUGE random number that is specific to one HT. If someone stole only the HT, then the serial number on the machine cannot be used (by us keymakers) to create a key. We need the "key code" that is on the tag of the spare red key, and embedded in all of the original keys.

toybuilder is providing an amazing service, since he really is giving away his time and efforts (acquiring the parts can be a torturous process in itself!) to provide such a low price.

solarseg, if you're using solar, send me an email so we can compare notes. I thought I was the only one (so far) with a Solar Segway. If you've got an interesting setup, please post it in the discussion forum for all.

opti6600
08-22-2003, 11:26 PM
You know what key would be very useful now that I think of it? A "Range Key" - a yellow key with red turning! I know that I maintain my red key use for the turning ability, however yellow key speeds are all that are necessary for the second, longer leg of my commute. Such a key would allow me to keep the appropriate speeds by edging under limiter, even in loud traffic and/or wind when I can't use the audible cues to judge my speed.

And as Deviant said, there isn't really any "encryption" to the keys. They're just long Unique ID strings. I think eventually we're going to see Segway switch to using Java-enabled iButtons, and perhaps some form of SecurID loaded onto that so that we actually get top-notch security from our HTs, but for now, it's just a startup code.

---------
Segway LLC is blocking the servers of home users... read on... (http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4931)

toybuilder
08-27-2003, 01:15 PM
Yup. I've made "commuter" keys. I found that I don't use it much anymore. But it's a good training aid to keep you at the right speed.

http://www.pasadenasegway.org/

See you all at SegFest 2003! (August 29.)
Register now at www.segwayfest.com