PDA

View Full Version : Ambassadors for Segway

n/a
11-24-2002, 11:10 AM
Brooster posted this in the ibot thread:

quote:Originally posted by Brooster

quote:
The way things seem to be going with Segway, ibots may sell better than Segways. Hardly anybody would say that a $5000 Segway would have a significant impact on their lives, but they could legitimately claim that with the ibot.

I personally feel that you're a bit premature with that comment Lawrence, but we'll see what happens. I've been meaning to ask you ... if the i-Series Segway was to be made available in Norway for the same price, and you had an opportunity to be one of the first to have one, would you do it?

Lawrence, you've always been one of the biggest supporters of Dean Kamen and his vision. I'm a bit surprised at your comments. Please explain.

Thanks. Broo

Brooster

Brooster,I still admire Kamen and his visions and hope those visions can be realized but that doesnt mean I dont question some of the decisions being made by Deka & co.

Making the first models of Segway available to the public even at $5000 may have been a good idea. I dont know all the arguments for doing so. Telling the public not to expect drop in prices is understandable in the short term. Sales people rarely suggest to customers to wait a week or a month before buying a product because there will be a price reduction on a product or that a cheaper model is in the works. Though I did not see the GMA announcement, from what I have read, Kamen and Bezos may have disappointed a lot of people by telling them not to expect less expensive Segways. Elsewhere Kamen and other have hinted that prices will fall, cheaper models will be produced. Cheaper Segways have to become available if Kamen wants to sell them to the masses, especially to the poorer nations. If it is all the computing power in the Segways that make it so expensive, we know the trend, computers become more powerful and cheaper at an amazing rate. The computer I type on costs about 1/10 of what I paid for it about 4 years ago.

In my view Kamen & Bezos should have made it clear on GMA that the first Segways are relatively expensive and intended for special groups, that prices will drop and that they do plan to come out with less expensive models. By not having done so, I think a lot of potential buyers were disappointed and perhaps dismissed the Segway as a ritch man's toy. If Kamen was telling the truth, that prices are not likely to drop significantly, I think Segway will remain a nich product and wont have the impact Kamen envisioned.

As to the rest of your question: would I be interested in being among the first in Norway to buy a Segway at the current prices, the answer is: yes and no.

Having read and discussed Ginger/Segway/Kamen for almost 2 years I am obviously very interested in the topics and the Segway. Being an admirer of Kamen, his work and his visions I want him to succeed. However, I dont think that the general public, even in the most affluent societies, is going to be willing to pay $5000 for a transportation device that at best will get them to their destination at 3 times (at best) faster than walking. I could see myself being an ambassadorfor Segway and be among the first in Norway buy a Segway at its current price if I there was sufficient evidence that in the not to distant future, prices would fall, and I was convinced that Segway could become a solution to congestion and pollution problems. I could then justify to myself and others for spending the money. But the justification would be based on idealism, ie., that I saw myself as an ambassador for a product that I believed could have significant social impacts. The justification would not be that Segway makes me more productive and saves me money or that I couldnt resist buyin one because it is so much fun.

BTW I do think it would be a good idea for Segway LLC to recruit and nurture ambassadors for Segway and the vision behind it. Apple has had a cult like following. I dont really know how much that has meant for Mac's survival. When the Mac came out, I was a big Mac enthusiast and was instrumental in starting a number of Macintosh user groups in Norway. Eventually I even got a job in a firm that was to develop and sell pedagogical programs. I very quickly became disillusioned with the cynical "business" approach.

I think Segway may need some idealistic enthusiasts, I call them ambassadors here, to promote the Segways, especially if they cant get prices down to a level where people will want to buy them primarily because they consider them to be economically justifyable productivity tools and/or must-have recreational vehicles.

I wonder how many of u would be willing to be ambassadors for Segway?

n/a
11-24-2002, 11:29 AM
I just found a new article that reflects my view very well.

http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/6/003099-3436-031.html

quote:The inventor has put a great idea on wheels, he says. But a bulky battery and limited range -- 15 miles or so -- put the brakes on mass use.

Then there's that price.

"Its existence proves we can do it," Saffo says. "But basically it means people with a lot of money can buy one of these things and drive it from power outlet to power outlet while dreaming of the revolution to come."

That statement hints of a rude awakening for secretive inventors who attempt to jump-start demand for a new technology.

So cut the price, pump up the power and range, and we may all go along for the ride

(BTW: Paul Saffo is director of the Institute for the Future in Menlo Park, Calif.) I would think his opinion counts for something. Some of us have been saying this for a long time.

Blinky
11-24-2002, 01:50 PM
from article,
quote:So cut the price, pump up the power and range, and we may all go along for the ride.
Many things Saffo wrote in this article seems to be on the same level as a lot of opinion's you have shared about the Segway-HT for as long as I can remember. Although somewhat critical in his view on the possible uses the Segway will have and Segway LLC's decision to push this technology forward before its time, I can't disagree with anything else he said in this article.

The only thing that bothers me right now is the price. I would get one if a little cheaper. Knowing that the battery life and size for the Segway will get better, the Segway is upgradeable in this way will make it worth my while to have one.

n/a
11-24-2002, 03:55 PM
quote:The only thing that bothers me right now is the price. I would get one if a little cheaper. Knowing that the battery life and size for the Segway will get better, the Segway is upgradeable in this way will make it worth my while to have one.

How little cheaper Blinky? What do u know about upgradeability?

Blinky
11-24-2002, 04:43 PM
quote:How little cheaper Blinky? What do u know about upgradeability?
I actually know nothing about the Segway's upgradeability. I made a very simple assumption that the Segway will be able to take different kinds of batteries in the future. Just like in other devices in the world that take batteries(cell phones), they always make better batteries around that item. I didn't really think I was going out of the way in saying that.

As for the price, the 'P' model would be great at $3,500. I would almost certainly get one at that price. There is also the factor of when it does come out, will it drop the price of the 'I' series model. If so, I might think about getting the 'I' rather than the 'P'.

I am taking it day to day. I will wait and sit back and see what Segway LLC does with their marketing and sales. The price will drop.

GlideMaster
11-24-2002, 05:41 PM
Hi Blinky,
Don't assume you want the consumer model before you ride the i167 model. It's the bomb.

<center>REMEMBER:
Respopnsible Riders Ride Segway
and
Segway Riders Ride Responsibly

Segway, The Mind Changer</center>

quote:Originally posted by Blinky

quote:How little cheaper Blinky? What do u know about upgradeability?
I actually know nothing about the Segway's upgradeability. I made a very simple assumption that the Segway will be able to take different kinds of batteries in the future. Just like in other devices in the world that take batteries(cell phones), they always make better batteries around that item. I didn't really think I was going out of the way in saying that.

As for the price, the 'P' model would be great at $3,500. I would almost certainly get one at that price. There is also the factor of when it does come out, will it drop the price of the 'I' series model. If so, I might think about getting the 'I' rather than the 'P'.

I am taking it day to day. I will wait and sit back and see what Segway LLC does with their marketing and sales. The price will drop.

BruceWright
11-24-2002, 06:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by weskifm

Hi Blinky,
Don't assume you want the consumer model before you ride the i167 model. It's the bomb.

Have you ridden both? What were your observations on the differences? If not, what diferences do you think there will be?

Brooster
11-24-2002, 11:21 PM
Thanks Lawrence ... that was an excellent, well-considered response.

Brooster

n/a
11-26-2002, 03:07 PM
quote:Thanks Lawrence ... that was an excellent, well-considered response.
Thanks Brooster.

I am surprised that there has not been more discussion of the ideas I touched on here, but I do get the impression that I am not alone with some of these sentiments.

I notice that Amazon has reduced the price of Kemper's book about Kamen/Segway by 30%. I wonder if they did so because the book is not getting sold or because Amazon realizes that to that they will sell more Segways if they can get people to read the book?

I think the first PC's were sold at least partially because people bought into the vision of the information age. The vision appealed to them so they bought those first PC's. I know I did at least partly. There was also the fun aspect. Could that have been part of Kamen's motivation to have a book written about Segway and his visions?

Brooster
11-26-2002, 08:16 PM
Hi Lawrence,

Going back to your original question of who might be willing to be an "ambassador," I consider myself one already. I'm excited about it, and I think all of the early owners will be called upon (in a sense) to be ambassadors for this technology. As Dean said in his message on Amazon.com, the eyes of the world will be on us. Perceptions will hinge upon our responsible and safe use, and our interactions with the public. I look forward to talking with people and answering their questions. I think it'll be a great way to meet people.

Hard to know what to say about the book. I imagine having a book released certainly doesn't hurt Dean in getting his "vision" and "message" out to the masses.

Brooster

Blinky
11-27-2002, 02:47 AM
Hey Brooster, I am sure you know a lot more now at this time about the Segway than most do who actually bought one. You would be a great 'Ambassador'

Brooster
11-27-2002, 03:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by Blinky

Hey Brooster, I am sure you know a lot more now at this time about the Segway than most do who actually bought one. You would be a great 'Ambassador'

Thanks, Blink ... for someone with pretty limited riding experience, I think I know a little (with emphasis on "a little") about it.

As I mentioned in an off-topic thread on Spliff's site, ginger-chat.com, it's hard for people to plunk down the money for a product like this, sight unseen. Let's face it, most people have never even seen a Segway being operated with their own two eyes, much less ridden one. I can tell you that it's a solid, serious piece of equipment, that lives up to (and indeed surpasses) expectations.

My feeling is that when people on the street actually see the Segway being used, interest will skyrocket. I think that just underscores the critical role of "ambassadors" (as Lawrence so aptly put it) to properly introduce this technology and its incredible potential.

It's all about public perception, and if the very first users blow it, it's all over. Having one will be an opportunity ... and a great privilege. Can you tell I'm a little excited? LOL! :D

Brooster

Blinky
11-28-2002, 02:58 AM
Brooster writes,
quote:It's all about public perception, and if the very first users blow it, it's all over. Having one will be an opportunity ... and a great privilege. Can you tell I'm a little excited? LOL!
I am sure having the Segway's running around the states will have everyone talking.

How willing would you be for someone to try your Segway for a spin? You are going to have lots of excuses for this one. You won't always be able to give people a chance to do so.

I wonder how much rubber necking and accidents will occur by people checking the machine out too. Once driving with my friend to a ball game, of all things 'KITES' was slowing up traffic. The Segway will cause mayhem ;)