PDA

View Full Version : Segway legal status--2 questions

Lazarus
11-24-2002, 08:53 AM
1. Is there an effort to get Segway status as a medical device (like the ibot)? I plan to call mine an 'electric walker'.

2. On a previous thread someone asked if stores and museums were letting a current Segway user enter...That is just the question I had.

Linda

Blinky
11-24-2002, 06:43 PM
Hello Linda,

I am not sure that Segway LLC will be aiming for the Segway-HT to be considered as a medical device. Its not that I see anything wrong with it the Segway-HT also being labeled as a medical device. I do think that if they were to do so, they should create a way for (questions 1,2) store owners/museums to know to leave those alone who need the Segway alone.

I said in another thread that if the Segway could also be considered a medical device, there should be a way for people to know that it is being used for such a purpose. Maybe a sticker or tag that can be hung from the device would be a great way for people to know what the Segway is being used for.

- - - - - -

Maybe someone else knows more about this and would like to share. :)

JohnG
11-25-2002, 02:14 PM
It is best and most polite to ask before entering a store, restaurant, or museum about whether the Segway is allowed in with the rider. Naturally, this will vary from business to business.

Lazarus
11-25-2002, 02:16 PM
Thanks for your post. I had thought there might be some effort to have it declared as a medical device as I read an article where Kamen said he envisioned it as helful to people w/Parkinsons.

(I have MS but expect my Segway to make life a lot freer)
Linda

JohnM
11-25-2002, 03:36 PM
How many years has it been since the Ibot was reveled? And it's just now getting towards the end of the government approval process as a medical device. It's a long costly procedure that DK might want to avoid at this point in time with Segway. Folks like yourself will see the possibilities in Segway and get one anyway.

Runnin' with the Big Dogs

Blinky
11-25-2002, 10:05 PM
Yes, a costly procedure in the beginning. The economic and self gratifying payoffs for something like this would have for Kamen might make this well worth it for him.

BTW: I am happy that this device will help you Lazarus!

What could you do and go where you can't normally go on your own or under current assistance?