PDA

View Full Version : IBOT Approval Recommended by FDA panel

dave27
11-23-2002, 01:49 AM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3005621&thesection=news&thesubsection=world

GAITHERSBURG - A wheelchair that can climb stairs and lift users to normal height while balancing on two wheels won the backing of a United States advisory panel yesterday.

The advisers unanimously urged the Food and Drug Administration to approve the wheelchair for sale in the US. The chair, called the iBOT, was conceived by prolific millionaire inventor Dean Kamen. It will be marketed by Johnson & Johnson. The FDA usually follows its panels' advice.

more

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/4569074.htm

The FDA isn't bound by its advisers' recommendations, but it usually follows them, and it granted iBOT a fast-track review reserved for important medical technology, meaning a decision could come in a few months.

more

http://www.wset.com/showstory.hrb?f=n&s=63726&f1=loc

To prove iBOT works, 20 wheelchair users test-drove it for two weeks, allowing scientists to compare maneuverability, falls or other problems with their regular wheelchairs. They also took a road test, scooting up hills and over bumpy sidewalks, crossing curbs, reaching shelves and climbing stairs.

The patients performed most of the challenges more easily with the iBOT, said study leader Dr. Heikki Uustal of New Jersey's Johnson Rehabilitation Institute. For example, everyone had to ask for help to reach a book atop a bookcase while in their own chairs, but merely pushed a button on the iBOT to slowly rise and reach it themselves.

Twelve patients could navigate stairs alone with the iBOT, while the rest used an assistant. In regular wheelchairs, two patients could literally bump their way down stairs, but no one could go up a single step.

Three people fell out of the iBOT and two fell out of their own wheelchairs during the study, suggesting the iBOT was as safe as today's technology.

"I wanted to take it home and keep it," said Karl Barnard of Tilton, N.H., who tested the iBOT in a study required by the FDA, which regulates wheelchair safety.

In the iBOT, he rose to the height of a 6-foot-tall person to do his grocery shopping without help.

But with a predicted $29,000 price tag, Barnard, 46, calls it "more a luxury item" that he probably wouldn't spring for until he's too old to push his manual wheelchair easily. The chairs will be manufactured by Independence Technology, a Johnson & Johnson subsidiary.

-dave

Brooster
11-23-2002, 04:07 AM
Thanks Dave,

Many of us know about this and it'll no doubt be moved off-topic, but I think the more exposure we can get for the iBot the better. This is a huge victory for Dean Kamen, for DEKA, and for thousands of soon-to-be-users.

Brooster

n/a
11-23-2002, 09:10 AM
quote:Many of us know about this and it'll no doubt be moved off-topic, but I think the more exposure we can get for the iBot the better. This is a huge victory for Dean Kamen, for DEKA, and for thousands of soon-to-be-users.

I think most of us see the ibot and Segway as closely related, as were Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. The future of one affects the other.
The way things seem to be going with Segway, ibots may sell better than Segways. Hardly anybody would say that a $5000 Segway would have a significant impact on their lives, but they could legitimately claim that with the ibot.

Brooster
11-24-2002, 03:40 AM
quote:
The way things seem to be going with Segway, ibots may sell better than Segways. Hardly anybody would say that a $5000 Segway would have a significant impact on their lives, but they could legitimately claim that with the ibot.

I personally feel that you're a bit premature with that comment Lawrence, but we'll see what happens. I've been meaning to ask you ... if the i-Series Segway was to be made available in Norway for the same price, and you had an opportunity to be one of the first to have one, would you do it?

Lawrence, you've always been one of the biggest supporters of Dean Kamen and his vision. I'm a bit surprised at your comments. Please explain.

Thanks. Broo

Brooster

n/a
11-24-2002, 09:23 AM
Brooser, u ask and interesting question, but to keep this thread on track, I will answer it in a new thread.