PDA

View Full Version : Segway therapy?

Lily Kerns
04-15-2015, 08:31 PM
I spent the morning at a Horses for Healing class for special Ed students. Some functioned well, many had walking problems. They carefully fitted the child to the horse. The kids definitely enjoyed themselves! Even those who were on a horse for the first time.

In talking afterwards, we wondered if anyone has ever used segways in therapy sessions of any kind beyond fitting them as a mobility device? If so, what kind of goals and outcomes were being worked on?

fathertime
04-15-2015, 09:13 PM
We sold some machines to an assisted living facility a few years ago and they used the machines for immediate indicators of balance issues and therapy for same. After speaking with one of the therapists she indicated that the machine was beneficial in showing the particular resident if they were balanced on their feet or if there was an issue. Of course the machine would start moving if the resident was leaning forward or backwards and by correcting their position on-board the machine they would get positive feedback immediately. I was very surprised, and pleased, that they had discovered a nuance that I was unaware of.:D:):D:):D