PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Toy Patent Application

dave27
11-21-2002, 02:03 PM
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=5&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=sunstein&OS=sunstein&RS=sunstein

(Heinzmann also works on balancing vehicles w/Kamen)

United States Patent Application 20020170754
Kind Code A1
Heinzmann, Richard K. November 21, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Controlled balancing toy

Abstract
A balancing toy having a chassis and a pair of laterally disposed wheels coupled to the chassis for motor-driven rotation with respect to the chassis. A circuit governs wheel rotation to maintain balance of the toy on the basis of chassis tilt as measured by a sensor. The sensor may include a gyroscope, and the balancing toy may have a single motor driving both wheels, or separate motors driving each wheel.

What is claimed is:

1. A balancing toy comprising: a. a chassis incapable of supporting a person, the chassis characterized by an instantaneous tilt in a fore/aft plane with respect to a vertical direction; b. a pair of laterally disposed wheels coupled to the chassis for motor-driven rotation with respect to the chassis; c. a sensor for measuring the tilt of the chassis; and d. a circuit for governing wheel rotation to maintain balance of the toy on the basis of the tilt of the chassis.

2. A balancing toy according to claim 1, further including a second sensor for measuring the angular rate of change of tilt of the chassis.

3. A balancing toy according to claim 2, wherein the second sensor is a gyroscope.

4. A balancing toy according to claim 1, further comprising a motor for driving the wheels.

5. A balancing toy according to claim 1, further comprising a first motor for driving one of the wheels and a second motor for driving another of the wheels.

6. A balancing toy comprising: a. a chassis incapable of supporting a person, the chassis characterized by a center of gravity; b. a pair of laterally disposed wheels rotatable about an axis, the wheels rotatably coupled to the chassis and the axis disposed beneath the center of gravity of the chassis; and c. a motor for driving the wheels in such a manner as to maintain balance of the toy with respect to tipping in a fore/aft direction during operation.

-dave

n/a
11-21-2002, 02:13 PM
Good find dave, we have been expecting toys from reading earler patents. Maybe by next Xmas?

charmed
11-21-2002, 03:07 PM
Nice, Dave.

I've been waiting for something like this. Toys, robotics, transportation-- DS could become a lot more common place in the coming days.

ftropea
11-22-2002, 03:30 PM
In our Science/Tech forum, J10 posted a link to a site describing a Lego Mindstorm project to construct a "Segway-like" robot:

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=428

I also describe how I might try it without light sensors or gyros.

When that toy Dave27 mentioned does come out, I wonder how popular it'll be. Will they make it look like a robot? Perhaps these self-balancing toys will be the genesis for real world self-balancing robot applications involving the Segway-HT.

Will that child who plays with 2-wheeled self balancing toy look at his dad's Segway-HT and think.......... (whatever wonderful creative thoughts run through a child's mind.)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Blinky
11-24-2002, 02:47 PM
I know of a toy that uses gyros. Any of you guys hear of the 'Nikko - UFO Buddy'. It is a radio controlled robot that walks and turns via remote control.

I am having a hard time finding a link for this to display for all to see. There are two different characters for this toy 'UBO and MBO'.

Some of you must know what I am talking about.