PDA

View Full Version : Censoring Content and Segway Community Interests

GyroGo
06-10-2003, 12:31 PM
It is my goal to promote safe and responsible Segway use and to see the Segway succeed in the marketplace. As the owner of a website that posts Segway classified ads and links, I do have the ability to control its content and at some point may exercise that prerogative.

There has been some controversy recently over rentals in general (whether they serve the interest of owners) and the practices of some rental companies specifically. I have been asked to investigate some of these due to my role in SegCenter.com, and hopefully also as a valued advocate of responsible and safe Segway practices. I respect and value the rights and opinions of members of this Segway community, and desire to act in the best interest of all Segway users. My record stands for that.

While I am interested in collecting the necessary information to understand the issues, there are a few reasons why I am not inclined to pass editorial judgment, censor or exclude content.

First, my ability to collect all the facts and positions on all sides is very limited. There are often contradictory observations and opinions and it becomes difficult to sort out information with a politically charged spin from cold facts. It is difficult to measure the degree to which a bad business practice exists; was it an anomaly, occasional mistake, or policy? Has it been corrected or does it continue? What was the intent of the business owner? Was it a thoughtless oversight or motivated by financial greed?

Second, I appreciate the difficulties in starting up a new business, especially when acting as a pioneer in the uncharted and nascent Segway business, and empathize with the entrepreneur. While some startups are better thought out and prepared than others, and others make more mistakes, there will be errors by all. Some are better capitalized, and others forced to choose compromises while working with more limited resources. Some of these compromises may prove to be appropriate and reasonable, others bad judgment. There are different concepts of strategy and operation.

An entrepreneur either learns quickly, adapts, and recovers, or he/she will not be in business long. While there is no excuse for unsafe and irresponsible policies and practices, the failure to foresee certain problems does not necessarily indicate malicious intent or the desire to make just a “quick buck”. If laws are being broken, it is best for the proper agencies to enforce those laws. It would be premature and presumptuous of me to draw any conclusions on legality prior to that. If the local population does not favor the business, they will not patronize it or will otherwise address it in their own way. The marketplace will prevail.

. . SegCenter.com (www.SegCenter.com) . .
StirlingInfo (www.StirlingInfo.com) StirlingChat (www.StirlingChat.com)

larryKay
06-10-2003, 03:19 PM
Amen!

Larry

pt
06-11-2003, 03:56 AM
gary-

would you allow someone to place a classified on your site stating rentals not done properly are not in the best interests for segway ht owners?

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:
http://www.bookofseg.com

other stuff:
http://www.flashenabled.com

GyroGo
06-11-2003, 08:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by pt

would you allow someone to place a classified on your site stating rentals not done properly are not in the best interests for segway ht owners?

pt:

Rentals not done properly are not in the interest of ANYONE. Whatever problems need to be resolved, I think people understand that. I don't think it would serve the purpose of the website's classifieds to mix in editorials or "letters to the editor" as a classified ad.

pt
06-11-2003, 01:11 PM
in your post you say this...

"...I am not inclined to pass editorial judgment, censor or exclude content".

so if someone wanted to post a classified that was a short as any of the ads, but stated rentals not done properly are not in best interests of owners you would or would not pass editorial judgment, censor or exclude content?

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:

other stuff:

GyroGo
06-11-2003, 10:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by pt

in your post you say this...

"...I am not inclined to pass editorial judgment, censor or exclude content".

so if someone wanted to post a classified that was a short as any of the ads, but stated rentals not done properly are not in best interests of owners you would or would not pass editorial judgment, censor or exclude content?

pt, dude, first, you have taken my quote out of context and the meaning is qualified by the rest of the sentence. Here is the full sentence:
quote:While I am interested in collecting the necessary information to understand the issues, there are a few reasons why I am not inclined to pass editorial judgment, censor or exclude content.
and then I go on to state reasons to explain how this statement relates to the specific circumstances. Btw, I say I am "not inclined" in this circumstance, and not saying that "I never would" in any circumstance.

Anyway, it's not a matter of "passing editorial judgment, censoring, or excluding content" to not include something that is beyond the whole purpose of the Segway classified section. I'm not accepting ads for snowmobiles, etc. I don’t think the classified ad section is the place for editorials.

I do edit ads and links to put them in the proper format, spelling, grammar, length, etc and make them consistent with the theme/spirit of the site.

I'd like to accommodate you, respected friend, so here's what I am willing to do for you:

Write-up what ever you want, as long as you want. Put it on your website. Send me the link to the page and I will place that new link under your existing BookofSeg link. I will label it "pt's rental editorial", "pt's rental link", "pt's rental perspective", or maybe something similar that you suggest. I do reserve the right to EDIT (oh, what a nasty word) the label you submit, or choose one I have suggested instead.

I hope you find this fair.

pt
06-12-2003, 12:54 AM
i was just curious, since ya posted about censorship and community interests-- nothing more than that. right now, i link to your site, you link to mine, it's all good bud :-]

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:

other stuff: