PDA

View Full Version : Where/when do you park it?

AstroBoy
11-21-2002, 04:11 AM
I'm having trouble understanding how/when you transition from Segway to foot travel.

So you ride your Segway to the mall or the supermarket. Do you ride it inside? All through the mall? Right into the stores? Would they let you?

Or do you park it outside? $5,000 for an 80 pound gadget is going to invite theft. I guess you need a pretty good bike lock on it! Some people do have $5,000 bikes but I doubt that they leave them chained up outside the supermarket.

Blinky
11-21-2002, 10:01 AM
I could see no problem with the Segway being parked in the Mall's parking lot. Those things are usually built large enough to fit high amounts of cars, why not make a seperate section for Segway's. But then again, why not be able to ride the Segway in the Mall.

As for small supermarkets and those types of stores, it is a risk that the Segway owner will have to take. You could lock it up, chain it, it really takes a slip second for someone to steal it.

It will be interesting what other security devices they come up with for the Segway.

Casey
11-21-2002, 11:26 AM
If you use the available Kryptonite Lock (http://www.segway.com/segway/accessories.html) and take the key it would be very hard to steal. Even after managing to get past the lock (wrap the cable around a pole) it could not be ridden, and would have to be loaded up and hauled away. All this in full public view.

quote:Kryptonite Lock Kit
The Kryptonite cable lock is used to physically secure the Segway HT to any fixed object. This lock can be used on all Segway™ HT models.

Also see the following thread: Theft of a Segway / How to keep yours (http://66.241.210.178/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=498)

Lazarus
11-21-2002, 05:30 PM
I'm planning to use mine instead of always taking my electric scooter which is bigger/more awkward. As a disabled person I walk short distanceswith a rolling walker and expect some resistance to the Segway from stores/restaurants in which I now use the scooter or the walker. I plan to have my handicapped car permit with me so people will understand.

So, I won't be leaving it anywhere.

I live in a college area so people may be more accomodating to this new vehicle!

Casey
11-21-2002, 06:13 PM
I don't think you will meet with oposition as a handicapped person. You might display that permit prominently on your Segway to ward off anyone who is prone to give you lip without checking out your situation.

I think it would be a good idea for a handicapped tag/banner or some such visable sign to be available for the handicapped just as a blind person's cane puts others on notice.

If you frequent the same stores you have been I would expect a lot of positive reaction to your new way of "walking". Good luck, and I believe your new ride will give you a lot more freedom than a walker or Jazzy ever could.

AstroBoy
11-21-2002, 07:17 PM
That was another worry I had. What if someone assumed I was handicapped when I'm riding in a store? They might think its an assistive device when actually its a souped-up skateboard.

I could just see someone rushing to open the door for me or asking if I need help carrying anything. I'd feel pretty guilty if that happened.

Astro

Brooster
11-21-2002, 07:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by Lazarus

I'm planning to use mine instead of always taking my electric scooter which is bigger/more awkward. As a disabled person I walk short distanceswith a rolling walker and expect some resistance to the Segway from stores/restaurants in which I now use the scooter or the walker. I plan to have my handicapped car permit with me so people will understand.

I live in a college area so people may be more accomodating to this new vehicle!

And then there were 4! Congrats Lazarus!

Brooster

Blinky
11-22-2002, 08:00 PM
AstroBoy writes,
quote:That was another worry I had. What if someone assumed I was handicapped when I'm riding in a store? They might think its an assistive device when actually its a souped-up skateboard.

I could just see someone rushing to open the door for me or asking if I need help carrying anything. I'd feel pretty guilty if that happened.

Astro
Maybe some kind of sticker or tag would have to be hung on the Segway-HT for those with the machines. I wonder if this will be an issue in future legislation.

4Seg
11-23-2002, 04:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by Brooster

quote:Originally posted by Lazarus

And then there were 4! Congrats Lazarus!

Brooster

LAZUARUS.... WELCOME!

If we could only be resellers...

Blinky
11-24-2002, 02:05 PM
Does anyone see any money to be made to one day open up Segway garages/safe storage/recharging areas for people who don't want to park on the curbs.

n/a
11-24-2002, 02:17 PM
quote:Does anyone see any money to be made to one day open up Segway garages/safe storage/recharging areas for people who don't want to park on the curbs.

If and when Segways become popular, I can see these things happening. I wonder how they did it in the old days, when people had to park their horses?

I expect mixed reacions and strong feelings with regard to taking or riding Segways inside buildings. Some will welcome them because they might create some positive attention. But I would think that if a few people have a negative attitude towards them and complain, they would be quickly banned from many buildings. When will we see the first "no Segways allowed" signs being posted?

GlideMaster
11-24-2002, 05:35 PM
Hi Lawrence,

I hate to say this but......having riden a Segway in all kinds of places from elevators to aquariums to hotel cafeterias I don't think a person should ride a Segway in a building unless they work in a building or unless there is a sign that says Segways permitted.
Because there is always that 20% that won't like it in the first place and won't like the fact that it is in the building, the type that won't like it even if you let them ride the Segway. I've past by people on the street that were walking straight toward me when I'd be on the Segway and they would not look at the Segway to save their life. I would stop just to see if they turned and took a peek but no such luck. Like I said, there is always that 20% against something no matter what.

<center>REMEMBER:
Responsible Riders Ride Segway
and
Segway Riders Ride Responsibly

Segway, The Mind Changer</center>

quote:Originally posted by Lawrence

quote:Does anyone see any money to be made to one day open up Segway garages/safe storage/recharging areas for people who don't want to park on the curbs.

If and when Segways become popular, I can see these things happening. I wonder how they did it in the old days, when people had to park their horses?

I expect mixed reacions and strong feelings with regard to taking or riding Segways inside buildings. Some will welcome them because they might create some positive attention. But I would think that if a few people have a negative attitude towards them and complain, they would be quickly banned from many buildings. When will we see the first "no Segways allowed" signs being posted?

lookforward
12-11-2002, 05:42 PM
hey I'm a little confusewd by this:

quote:
I hate to say this but......having riden a Segway in all kinds of places from elevators to aquariums to hotel cafeterias I don't think a person should ride a Segway in a building unless they work in a building or unless there is a sign that says Segways permitted.
Because there is always that 20% that won't like it in the first place and won't like the fact that it is in the building, the type that won't like it even if you let them ride the Segway.

what exactly do you mean? you don't think people shoudl ride inside buildings because it creates ill will toward segways? or because it's awkard? or because you can run into people?&gt;

would love to hear some first-hand accounts of people riding them around inside buildings: what exactly happens? again I'm thinking supermarket, book store, the mall, etc. did management come over and tell you to stop? did everyone ignore you? did people stop and look but nobody really cared? your real-world stories wanted :-)

"lookforward" in Los Angeles, California
...a crowded metropolis begging for better transportation options

hodgepoj
12-11-2002, 08:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by Lawrence

They tied the reins loosely around the hitching post. But the biggest persuader against horse theft was the penalty when you were caught.

Dr. Paul O. Johnson
Senior Exhibit Developer
The Science Place
Dallas, Texas 75210