PDA

View Full Version : segway copies to flood the market!

wenshidi
11-20-2002, 11:58 PM
Does anybody know if there is any truth to the rumour that technicians in southern China already have specs for the segway, supposedly gained from patent documents and Russian prototypes, and that they are are planning to come out with a heavily discounted model early in 2003?
My own unfortunately second and third hand sources, said that comments on some of the chat boards at BeiDa were talking about two plants in Dongguan readying up for an export lauch in late spring. How will this affect pricing? Will the extortionate 3000 USD price tag quickly drop to more reasonable levels and encourage a more rapid take up of this excellent new technology? Could the US impose import controls to keep the price artificially high? How friendly is the invertor with the government these days? What is going to be a realistic price tag for imported segways based on similar technology?

charmed
11-21-2002, 12:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by wenshidi

Does anybody know if there is any truth to the rumour that technicians in southern China already have specs for the segway, supposedly gained from patent documents and Russian prototypes, and that they are are planning to come out with a heavily discounted model early in 2003?
My own unfortunately second and third hand sources, said that comments on some of the chat boards at BeiDa were talking about two plants in Dongguan readying up for an export lauch in late spring. How will this affect pricing? Will the extortionate 3000 USD price tag quickly drop to more reasonable levels and encourage a more rapid take up of this excellent new technology? Could the US impose import controls to keep the price artificially high? How friendly is the invertor with the government these days? What is going to be a realistic price tag for imported segways based on similar technology?

Interesting rumor. Do you read chinese?

GyroGo
11-21-2002, 04:11 AM
While I suppose any product can be reverse engineered, I have great doubt that the extraordinarily complex Segway has been knocked off without any patent violations in this short a period of time.

I’ll believe it when I see it.