PDA

View Full Version : A proposal for sidewalk use

P. Sage
11-20-2002, 06:13 PM
I think that anything moving much faster than normal traffic tends to be unsafe on streets and on sidewalks. Someone running on a crowded street is unsafe. Remember those scenes in movies where people running down sidewalks are always bumping into someone carrying packages? Sure, they put those scenes in for comedic purposes, but there's a lot of truth to them.

Yes Segways are maneuverable and stop fairly quickly, but they're also harder than flesh and heavier than a person alone. I think accidents are unavoidable if people go down crowded sidewalks faster than a walking speed.

I personally don't see why one would want to ride one on a sidewalk anyway, given that it will be necessary to go slower than one could go in a bike lane. Also, going up onto the curb and down across the street at every block is often quite annoying, especially since pedestrians are often blocking the wheelchair ramps.

The only time one would need to ride on a sidewalk would be when the streets are unsafe or when one is in a pedestrian only zone.

So here's my proposal:

- Segways should be equipped with a "sidewalk switch". The sidwalk switch will limit the Segway's speed to the speed of a typical pedestrian (perhaps 3-5 mph).

- It will be legal for people to ride Segways on sidewalks ONLY with the sidewalk switch turned on.

- It will be legal for people to use the bike lanes on Segways at any speed.

This would be a good compromise between Segway users and pedestrians. It would allow Segway users to take to the sidewalks when it's dangerous or impractical to use the streets, but they'd have to stick to a speed that's safe for mixing with pedestrians in these cases.

Thoughts (flames :))?

JohnG
11-20-2002, 06:22 PM
Umm, they come with three keys, one of which is for sidewalk operations. This is the key that users are expected to use if they are going to be riding on the sidewalk.

Casey
11-20-2002, 06:40 PM
A very intelligent post P.Sage. Most of what you suggest is good common sense. As Mr. Grohol says, one key limits it to 6 mph, which I think is very reasonable on sidewalks. Not much more than a brisk walk or jog. It should stop on a dime at that speed.

About all I can add is that I agree with your ideas and if I were riding one it would be pretty much what I would do. Lets just hope other Segway riders take the same good sense approach.

JohnM
11-20-2002, 06:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by jgrohol

Umm, they come with three keys, one of which is for sidewalk operations. This is the key that users are expected to use if they are going to be riding on the sidewalk.

The sidewalk key still allows speeds up 8mph, faster than the walking speeds P.Sage is suggesting.

And the operative word here is 'expected'. This is totally unenforcable. Let's face it, in reality folks are going to stick in the fast key and leave it in.

Runnin' with the Big Dogs

ftropea
11-20-2002, 07:03 PM
I think that's fair enough. If the law doesn't allow speeds higher than 8mph on the sidewalk, and people insist on riding the fast key and traveling at 12.5mph, they subject themselves to whatever penalties are prescribed by the law.

Speed limits don't actually limit your speed. It's up to the person to obey the local rules/laws...

And as JohnM points out.. it's about about what is and isn't enforced. So who is ultimately responsible for that part of society? Law enforcement officials.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Seeker
11-20-2002, 07:15 PM
quote:

- It will be legal for people to ride Segways on sidewalks ONLY with the sidewalk switch turned on.

I think these are some good ideas that you've expressed Sage ! How about also having something that would indicate to the public whether the sidwalk switch is on or off ? (Sort of like the flag that's on a mailbox showing that you have mail in the box)

I have also suggested that Segway riders be required to purchase licence plates ( not licences).

So if someone was driving along a sidewalk at a speed above the acceptable limit, then this could be noticed easily, and the person could be reported.

Since it could be possible to forget to put this switch on from time to time I think some system where you were given a warning first, and then received a small fine etc might be suitable.

I wonder, might it be ok for someone to drive at faster speeds if no one was around ?....or would that lead to ambiguity in applying the rules ?

Seeker

Casey
11-20-2002, 07:34 PM
Sidewalk speed limits varying from congested areas to open areas such as those for automobile traffic would work. And they would give the cops something to enforce as long as it wasn't used as a revenue enhancing operation the way it sometimes is on the roadways.

bicycledriver
11-20-2002, 07:36 PM
I would prefer it if a colored lamp, visible to other people on the sidewalk, indicated the speed mode in which the Segway were operating - green for the mode limited to 6 mph, and red for anything higher. This would aid enforcement.

However, we see how poor law enforcement already is with the speed limits on our streets. Do we really think we'll see speed enforcement on the sidewalks?

It's ironic that the lobbyists from Segway LLC claim that operating Segways on the roadway is undesirable because Segwayists would feel pressured by impatient automobile drivers to get out of the way, but then these same lobbyists try to argue that Segway drivers would never put pressure on pedestrians to get out of the way on sidewalks.

Perhaps we should start by enforcing the existing laws on the roadways before we decide to surrender the sidewalks to smaller vehicles.

Steve Goodridge

Casey
11-20-2002, 07:59 PM
Or maybe PROPERLY enforcing the laws instead of cops acting as revenue agents by setting up speed traps.

Incidentally in almost 50 years of driving I have had a total of 2 speeding tickets. Both very small.

BBBix
11-20-2002, 08:13 PM
Casey-

I was looking in your photo album and the picture of the office caught me by suprise......Do all segway employees get one? It seemed that there were quite a few there.

Bill B.

Casey
11-20-2002, 09:19 PM
BBB,

I haven't been to that office. The picture was picked up off the internet. But I think Segway usage is very much encouraged in the DEKA and Segway offices.

Seeker
11-21-2002, 03:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by bicycledriver
I would prefer it if a colored lamp, visible to other people on the sidewalk, indicated the speed mode in which the Segway were operating - green for the mode limited to 6 mph, and red for anything higher. This would aid enforcement.

However, we see how poor law enforcement already is with the speed limits on our streets. Do we really think we'll see speed enforcement on the sidewalks?

Hi Steve,

I could see a coloured lamp working well, as an indicator of the speed of a Segway driver.

As you've said, enforcing sidewalk 'speed limits' would present a challenge for police officers, and I also agree with Casey's point that it wouldn't be nice to see Segways become fodder for a cash cow for the police.

But I do think that it may be easier for the 'average Joe' to report an errant Segway driver, than it would be to report an out of control car driver, just because Segways are going at slower speeds.

Seeker

Seeker
11-21-2002, 03:44 AM
Hi Sage,

Here's an idea I've brought it up in the past, which seems to have similarities to the one you're proposing :

What if the Segway was fitted with a sensor which senses/measures the speed of objects in front of it, and provides this speed data to the Segway's computers ? (Don has suggested that a infrared sensor could do the trick).

So the sensor could tell if an object in front of the Segway was moving or not. If it was moving, then the computers could do calculations to determine whether the speed you were moving at was slow enough, given the speed of the object moving towards you, and your distance from it.

At a certain point, if you had not slowed down enough to be safely passing the moving object, the Segway could do its 'vibrational warning thing'. If there was a measure of discomfort to the feeling of the platform vibrating, this might be enough to cause most people to slow down.

Alternately, another option might be to have the Segway assume control of your speed, in the event that you had ignored the vibrational warning.

I guess the question is, could such a system be implemented at a reasonable cost, and work effectively ?

Seeker

Blinky
11-21-2002, 10:21 AM
Ftropea writes,
quote:Speed limits don't actually limit your speed. It's up to the person to obey the local rules/laws...
I agree with ftropea on this one, let the law decide what the fate is for the reckless rider. Some have mentioned that the Segway be installed with lights to let the 'walking public' see them comming and this is not a bad idea.

I think that to much is being made of the high speeds of the Segway as it is. It is fast, but not that fast. I don't think that the Segway alone will cause any deaths. It is soley up to the riders to be responsible.

n/a
11-21-2002, 12:59 PM
quote:And the operative word here is 'expected'. This is totally unenforcable. Let's face it, in reality folks are going to stick in the fast key and leave it in.

On the Segway LLC site, they state that one of the main advantages of Segway is that u can be more productive by covering 3 times as much ground as by walking. If this is the reason for people buying Segways, they will want to go at top speed whenever possible and would likely be frustrated with having to go at walking speeds. People might feel foolish riding at walking speeds with everybody around them was walking, unless they were carrying a lot of stuff.

n/a
11-21-2002, 01:02 PM
quote:Incidentally in almost 50 years of driving I have had a total of 2 speeding tickets. Both very small.

Is that because u are good at not getting caught or because u are so law abiding Casey?

Casey
11-21-2002, 01:11 PM
I just turn on the charm and talk them out of it Lawrence. :)

I gave that to show I wasn't on a crusade because of receiving a lot of tickets.

I also have never had one chargable accident in that time. I did back into an illegally parked car once but she got the ticket.

charmed
11-21-2002, 01:25 PM
I think a light to broadcast what mode the vehicle is in will never fly. How easy would it be to run with doctored lights? Very.

They sell street legal cars that approach 200 mph.

They let speed boats travel on waterways with speed limits of a tiny fraction of their top speed.

I can think of a lot of sidewalks where a controlled 12 mph. would be perfectly safe. I can think of sidewalks where a Segway at any speed would be more trouble than it is worth. Until they are ubiquitous, I don't see a huge issue here. Much like bicycles tend to choose their paths for their relative freedom from collision, so too will Segwayers on the sidewalks. Will there be scowflaws? Of course. Will it upset the status quo to any measurable degree? Doubtful.

If it is a problem, there is nothing stopping lawmakers from amending the law to solve any real problems. Let's face it, the Segway is going to have to become hugely popular before any significant problems materialize. There is a lot of time to react to what IMO will never be a problem.

If I had my way, there would be a huge federal program for expanding bike paths nation wide. More bikes, more small independent electric vehicles, more separation from the dinosaur automobile. This would be a nice token of progress in the face of the impending war(s) in the middle east, and would be a tiny nick in the kitty of what is likely to be spent on the military and defense costs of our oil addiction. This whole sidewalk issue would be moot where extensive bike paths exist (such as where I live, in Amsterdam, where all manner of non-auto traffic coincides nicely on the bewildering array of bike path options), and such a plan would open up many other new options for personal transport (other electric scooters, ultra-lite, speed limited cars, faster Segway type devices, etc.)

One reason I am so keen to see them gain popularity, as I hope it would foster such alternatives.

Okay, off my soapbox.

bicycledriver
11-21-2002, 03:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by Lawrence
On the Segway LLC site, they state that one of the main advantages of Segway is that u can be more productive by covering 3 times as much ground as by walking. If this is the reason for people buying Segways, they will want to go at top speed whenever possible and would likely be frustrated with having to go at walking speeds.

Actually, the Segway LLC web site claims you can access 50 times as much area as walking, which requires seven times the linear speed of walking, which means a travel speed of about 18 mph.

Clearly Segway LLC intends to sell machines that go 15 mph or faster. That's what they said at the unveiling before the pedestrian advocacy groups started making a fuss. The recent claims of 12.5 mph limits are just for PR. The law, if anything, establishes a more realistic limit, but when users figure out how to bypass or modify the electronic speed limiter, anything goes.

Steve Goodridge

n/a
11-21-2002, 03:51 PM
bicycledriver, I should have given u the credit for having pointed this out earler.

tcrosas
11-21-2002, 04:50 PM
I think much of the concern about the Segway and sidewalks is absurd. I went to college on a track scholarship and have spent thousands of hours and thousands of miles running on sidewalks, trails, footpaths, and bike lanes at anywhere from 6 to 11 miles per hour. In all that time, in all weather conditions, in all hours of the night and day, I have "run into someone" one time. As with any other pedastrian, I and my group (when I ran with teammates) have simply manuevered in and around the main flow of sidewalk traffic.

Blinky
11-22-2002, 08:07 PM
tcrosas writes,
quote:I think much of the concern about the Segway and sidewalks is absurd. I went to college on a track scholarship and have spent thousands of hours and thousands of miles running on sidewalks, trails, footpaths, and bike lanes at anywhere from 6 to 11 miles per hour. In all that time, in all weather conditions, in all hours of the night and day, I have "run into someone" one time. As with any other pedastrian, I and my group (when I ran with teammates) have simply manuevered in and around the main flow of sidewalk traffic.
Good point. Don't you think that there might be a difference if you and your buddies were running with a 80pound object in your hands including your own body weight. Forget about the control part of it, but think about the actual impact this would have on a bystander.

P. Sage
11-23-2002, 11:30 AM
I think the flashing colored lamp idea is a good one.

If necessary (and this law could be by municipality), the Segway could also beep or chime regularly when in Sidewalk mode, to alert pedestrians.

I do think that a "Sidewalk Switch" is needed, not just a key. The keys are a good idea, but they'd be too inconvenient to keep switching every time you want to move from the street to the sidewalk.

As for people tampering with their Segways and causing the green "sidewalk mode" light to flash when they really are in a faster mode, that could be punishable with some large fines. Sure it would still happen, but not that often.

The automatic collision avoidance idea is nice, but would add considerable expense to the unit, and doesn't help in cases where people walk out of a doorway suddenly, for example, and there isn't enough time to come to a stop quickly when moving at a high speed.

The point of all of this is that the laws need to take changing situations into account while still providing the protection they were intended to provide. This means that we should allow safe motorized devices in pedestrian zones, but only under rules which insure that pedestrians are as safe with the devices in their midst as they would be if the devices were not allowed.

Blinky
11-24-2002, 02:15 PM
P.Sage writes,
quote:If necessary (and this law could be by municipality), the Segway could also beep or chime regularly when in Sidewalk mode, to alert pedestrians.
I don't think they built the Segway as quiet as it is for it to one day sound like an annoying beeper or cell phone riding down the sidewalk. I could see people stoping in front of or indirectly move in front of the Segway while the noise becomes increasingly louder. I think the owner will have to be responsible for their actions when on the sidewalk and take precaution.

Good idea, but there has to be a better solution.

GlideMaster
11-24-2002, 06:14 PM
You don't need a noise maker on a Segway. True it is very quiet and a lot of people won't know you are coming from behind them. But, it is your responsibility to slow down and go around them at a reasonable speed so as not to alarm them and maybe say coming on your left or coming on your right. If you hit someone from behind it is just like driving your car into the back of someone. YOU ARE AT FAULT. That means you were driving to fast for conditions or following to closely or what ever. But you will be wrong no matter what. Unless you can prove that another Segway came up and ran into the back of you and caused you to hit the person in front of you. Just like a three car accident.

<center>REMEMBER:
Responsible Riders Ride Segway
and
Segway Riders Ride Responsibly

Segway, The Mind Changer</center>

quote:Originally posted by Blinky

P.Sage writes,
quote:If necessary (and this law could be by municipality), the Segway could also beep or chime regularly when in Sidewalk mode, to alert pedestrians.
I don't think they built the Segway as quiet as it is for it to one day sound like an annoying beeper or cell phone riding down the sidewalk. I could see people stoping in front of or indirectly move in front of the Segway while the noise becomes increasingly louder. I think the owner will have to be responsible for their actions when on the sidewalk and take precaution.

Good idea, but there has to be a better solution.

BruceWright
11-24-2002, 06:45 PM
Here's where a segway is leagues better than a bicycle. How many times have I had a person whizz by me from behind on a bicycle? Them saying the words "on your right" just before they whizz past, it still startles the bejezus out of me. The Segway is better, because you can slow down and pass pedestrians at normal walking speed, without losing mauverability.

Blinky
11-24-2002, 07:03 PM
BruceWright writes,
quote:Here's where a segway is leagues better than a bicycle. How many times have I had a person whizz by me from behind on a bicycle? Them saying the words "on your right" just before they whizz past, it still startles the bejezus out of me. The Segway is better, because you can slow down and pass pedestrians at normal walking speed, without losing mauverability.
Unfortunately if you experienced this on a sidewalk, most likely the rider of that bike was riding illegally. Even though the Segway doesn't make much of any noise, you have to keep in mind that someone reckless riding a Segway can be going at a top speed doing the same.

You absolutely right about the Segway not losing any maneuverability while stoping behind someone. That is probably one of the most important things about the Segway's safety. Being able to stop and asses the situation around you with no worry about keeping balanced has got to be awesome.

yop
11-25-2002, 10:32 AM
Just tossing another idea into the pot: fit Segways with "electronic dog collars". You know the dog collars that give your pet a mild electric shock if they try to stray from your backyard? How about modifying that technology for the Segway. Instead of giving an electric shock, you program it to restrict the Segway's max speed whenever the Segway enters a high-pedestrian traffic zone. The local city government can be in charge of locating the "restricters," radio signal generators that define "Segway Slow Zones". The restricters can be programmed to broadcast different signals that correspond to different max speeds for different times of the day. The police can carry portable restricters to help apprehend law-breakers or to slow traffic down in emergencies. Special at-risk people can carry special portable short range restricters to keep them safe. A restricter for a blind person would slow down a nearby Segway and cause it to ring a bell. A restricter for a deaf person would slow the Segway down and cause a light to flash.

Actually, now that I think about it, how about adapting this technology for cars, too?

Or, we could just trust our fellow citizens' good judgment....

bicycledriver
11-25-2002, 12:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by BruceWright

Here's where a segway is leagues better than a bicycle. How many times have I had a person whizz by me from behind on a bicycle? Them saying the words "on your right" just before they whizz past, it still startles the bejezus out of me. The Segway is better, because you can slow down and pass pedestrians at normal walking speed, without losing mauverability.

Cyclists who pass pedestrians at high speed do so because they are impatient or inconsiderate, not because they cannot maintain balance at pedestrian speed.

If Segways become popular, there is no reason to expect Segway operators to be more patient or more considerate than cyclists. People are people. Utilitarian travelers have places to go and want to save time.

I bicycle on greenways/multi-use paths on occasion where they serve as useful short-cuts, and I have little difficulty following pedestrians at walking speed while waiting for a safe passing opportunity. Often while I am waiting for pedestrian congestion to disperse and enough space to become available, another cyclist will fly past me and weave through the pedestrians with little regard for anyone.

I am happy to wait for pedestrians when bicycling on ped facilities because I only use pedestrian facilities when they greatly reduce my trip *distance*. If I want to reduce my trip *time* for a given distance, I use the roadway, and the traffic law encourages this. It is my observation that those drivers of light vehicles who feel disenfranchised regarding roadway travel tend to operate at higher speeds and with less consideration for pedestrians when using pedestrian facilities than do those operators who feel that they belong on roadways.

Steve Goodridge

Seeker
11-25-2002, 01:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by yop

Just tossing another idea into the pot: fit Segways with "electronic dog collars". You know the dog collars that give your pet a mild electric shock if they try to stray from your backyard? How about modifying that technology for the Segway. Instead of giving an electric shock, you program it to restrict the Segway's max speed whenever the Segway enters a high-pedestrian traffic zone. The local city government can be in charge of locating the "restricters," radio signal generators that define "Segway Slow Zones". The restricters can be programmed to broadcast different signals that correspond to different max speeds for different times of the day. The police can carry portable restricters to help apprehend law-breakers or to slow traffic down in emergencies. Special at-risk people can carry special portable short range restricters to keep them safe. A restricter for a blind person would slow down a nearby Segway and cause it to ring a bell. A restricter for a deaf person would slow the Segway down and cause a light to flash.

Actually, now that I think about it, how about adapting this technology for cars, too?

Or, we could just trust our fellow citizens' good judgment....

Hi yop,

In my opinion, the fact that Segways would be allowed on sidewalks, would be, in itself an evidence trust of the good judgement of the operators of this kind of technology,since a number of other candidates for sidewalks are not allowed on them. If Legislators had felt that Segway riders would be a devil may care, out of control breed, they may not have granted Segways legislative approval for their use on sidewalks. I wonder if this is why Segways are (at least in some people's opinion, though not mine)..not 'cool looking'. Possibly the design of a Segway leads to the impression that Segway riders will drive responsibly.

At any rate, I believe that Segways should have a certain measure of regulation placed on them for a few reasons :
- The first is that Segway/rider combinations are heavier and faster than most pedestrians. This suggests that pedestrians should be given some sense of 'protection' and have confidence that they will be safe while walking on the sidewalk, and that rules which govern proper Segway operation can be enforced either through the police or through more natural enforcement methods (eg a flashing light)
- Regulation of Segways may also be in the best interests of Segway riders in the long run. If there are methods of making 'out of control driving' and 'excessive speeds' an unlikely occurence, this will mean better public perception of Segway riders, and fewer negative repercussions such as accidents, which may lead to lawsuits and other actions taken against Segway or individuals.

It seems to me that a balance can best be struck between the rights and freedoms of Segway riders, and pedestrians, by implementing measures such as the flashing light idea, or other ideas along those lines. I think the benefits of such measures could be compared in a sense, to the benefits of having car insurance...it's something that protects you, in case a problem should occur.

Just a few thoughts,

Seeker

n/a
11-25-2002, 01:59 PM
The legislation passed allows for every community to add their own regulations regarding Segways as I understand it. In some places it could be wise to restrict sidewalk speed, require licence plates, lights etc.

GlideMaster
11-25-2002, 03:37 PM
Hi Lawrence, just wanted to say I agree that each individual city should state where a Segway can and cannot be ridden. What might work in Big City USA may not be necessary in Small Town USA.

<center>REMEMBER:
Responsible Riders Ride Segway
and
Segway Riders Ride Responsibly

Segway, The Mind Changer</center>

quote:Originally posted by Lawrence

The legislation passed allows for every community to add their own regulations regarding Segways as I understand it. In some places it could be wise to restrict sidewalk speed, require licence plates, lights etc.

bicycledriver
11-25-2002, 05:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Seeker
In my opinion, the fact that Segways would be allowed on sidewalks, would be, in itself an evidence trust of the good judgement of the operators of this kind of technology,since a number of other candidates for sidewalks are not allowed on them. If Legislators had felt that Segway riders would be a devil may care, out of control breed, they may not have granted Segways legislative approval for their use on sidewalks. I wonder if this is why Segways are (at least in some people's opinion, though not mine)..not 'cool looking'. Possibly the design of a Segway leads to the impression that Segway riders will drive responsibly.

In the late 1800s there was a great deal of opposition to bicycles and bicyclists. Pedestrians and horse drivers didn't like the high speeds at which some bicyclists would zip around city streets; they felt that these devices made travel uncomfortable for others. When it rained, the dirt streets often become rutted and difficult for cycling; cyclists would instead try to ride on sidewalks (which were paved to make walking easier.) Pedestrians in most of the United States lobbied to enact laws outlawing cycling on sidewalks in order to protect pedestrians. Bicyclists organized through the League of American Wheelmen to promote the paving of smoother roads for better bicycling. This effort was known as the "Good Roads Movement."

Near the turn of the century, motorized horseless carriages began to appear on roads. Most road users, including pedestrians and cyclists, were quite alarmed at these devices given their weight and potential speed. Many cities debated prohibitions against the use of these "automobiles" on public streets. Some cities limited their operation to 15 miles per hour; others actually required automobiles to travel at walking speed and follow a man waving a warning flag to clear the way.

Soon the city governments were lobbied by the automobile manufacturers and rich automobile owners to change the laws and make make motoring faster with access to more streets. The lobbyists swore up and down that the allowance of motor vehicles on public streets would not be allowed to impact the safety and comfort of travel by other, slower, more vulnerable road users. They pointed out how responsible and upstanding the automobile purchasers were.

By the early 1930s, traffic fatalities had skyrocketed to epidemic levels. Road crashes involving automobiles were a leading cause of death. People who learned to drive in one city would travel to another city with different rules, and consequently get into crashes.

Eventually a nationwide effort to create uniform traffic laws based on colision prevention, using science to determine efficacy, was begun. This evolved into the Uniform Vehicle code, and its engineering component the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices. The UVC grouped traffic into two groups based on speed and maneuverability: one group was drivers of vehicles, and the other was pedestrians. Bicyclists were grouped as drivers - a classification that bicyclists have lobbied to protect ever since, for their own safety and convenience. In a minority of states and towns, local governments tried to classify cyclists as pedestrians, but cyclists and pedestrians pointed out that higher collision rates resulted from such policies, and had them changed.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. Segway LLC should take notice.

Steve Goodridge
http://humantransport.org

n/a
11-25-2002, 08:13 PM
bicycledriver, keep those postings comming!

cheesemike
11-25-2002, 10:24 PM
I'd like to see the Segway used on sidewalks. I live in Maryland in the D.C. metro area, and I would use it to go to a Metro subway station, traveling the two miles on the Segway. HAve any of you looked at the laws for Maryland? It says for some reason not on roads where sidewalks are on both sides. Does that mean not in the roadway, or not on anything when sidewalks are there? I don't get it. Anyone help?

4Seg
11-26-2002, 03:36 AM
How about compiling this into a "Best Practices" document?

If we could only be resellers...

Mike
http://www.stlsegway.com
Yahoo: stlsegway

Casey
11-26-2002, 08:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by cheesemike

I'd like to see the Segway used on sidewalks. I live in Maryland in the D.C. metro area, and I would use it to go to a Metro subway station, traveling the two miles on the Segway. HAve any of you looked at the laws for Maryland? It says for some reason not on roads where sidewalks are on both sides. Does that mean not in the roadway, or not on anything when sidewalks are there? I don't get it. Anyone help?

I think you will find that that means you must use the sidewalk, not that you can't use the Segway there. ie, in that circunstance you are not allowed to ride in the road.

Seeker
11-27-2002, 03:11 AM
Here's a question for you :

Is there a way for a Segway to be able to 'know' that it is riding on a sidewalk ? First, I was thinking that this could be done by the Segway recognizing the vertical rise that is characteristic of going from a road to a sidewalk, but then sometimes a rider might go up the part of a sidewalk where it tapers down to the street,rather than up the curb.

Could the wheels somehow detect the regular grooves of a sidewalk, or could some sort of sensor system be employed to detect these 'sidewalk cracks' ?

Seeker

Blinky
11-27-2002, 03:17 AM
If they could hook up the Segway with such sophisticated 'A.I.' and visual abilities, you might as well hook up some voice recognition to it and tell it where you want to go.

Nothing is impossible, but that idea might be just a little to much.

JohnM
11-27-2002, 08:17 AM
Is there a way for a Segway to be able to 'know' that it is riding on a sidewalk ?

Maybe the rider could give the Segway a clue by inserting the 'sidewalk' key. ;)

Seeker
11-27-2002, 06:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by JohnM

Is there a way for a Segway to be able to 'know' that it is riding on a sidewalk ?

Maybe the rider could give the Segway a clue by inserting the 'sidewalk' key. ;)

I hear ya my friend. Those rascals better make a practice of that ! I guess what I was thinking was if some people weren't so inclined, there might be relatively easy ways for the Segway to be able to sense it was on a sidewalk. (none that I can think of at the moment though)

But maybe the key idea with the flashing light showing which key is inserted, would be the best way to go, if there's a concern about possible abuse of sidewalk etiquette.

Seeker

Blinky
11-28-2002, 02:23 AM
Seeker writes,
quote:But maybe the key idea with the flashing light showing which key is inserted, would be the best way to go, if there's a concern about possible abuse of sidewalk etiquette.
Maybe we should leave this to the police and their speedometers. You wouldn't want these things on cars. If it were such a good idea anyway, why don't cars have then now?

The rider will just have to obey the law like everyone else.