PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a SoloWheel...

Tritium
06-30-2013, 02:00 PM
I had been hearing about the Solowheel for years now, and at one point, decided I wanted one, so after looking around, I saw that the retail was set at $1750 and nowhere could you find one cheaper, so I put that idea to the side for a while.

Last week, I saw an auction for a solowheel and it was at $700, I decided to put a couple bids on it and soon it got to around $1300 and I got outbid so I stopped.

Then I woke up this morning to see that the Solowheel auction ended in 20 minutes, so I put a final bid of $1350 on it in the last 5 seconds, and viola! I've won!

The seller was semi-local so I'll be able to save money on post.

I have a use for it, where if I need to take a vehicle with me where the Segway isn't allowed, the solowheel can fit in a shopping bag or backpack so I'll have no trouble with Amtrak and the like, right?

I don't quite know how I'll be able to use the thing, but if I attach a pole to the handle, it may help.

Always looking to try new modes of transport, next stop, Robin M1 testing.

Does anyone here own a SoloWheel?
Any tips to prevent me getting even more disfigured?

Bob.Kerns
06-30-2013, 04:21 PM
The guy I talked to, indicated you could get a major ticket for using it on the Caltrain platform, rather than carrying it. He was using it there, though.

Congratulations on winning the bid, and let us know how it goes.

Tritium
06-30-2013, 04:52 PM
The guy I talked to, indicated you could get a major ticket for using it on the Caltrain platform, rather than carrying it. He was using it there, though.

Congratulations on winning the bid, and let us know how it goes.

I would thinks that would be so, I'm just saying that, my PT, I cannot even put inside the train, whereas a more compact and less intimidating vehicle would not be a problem.

I've taken 2 PT's on an Amtrak once, (X2 and i2) and it took up all of the space for getting around, but with a solowheel or say a robin, you can put it almost anywhere.

I often take the train and bus/trolley, so I wish I could take my Segway but it is just too heavy and bulky, but a solowheel or robin would be a good option.

I would wonder how much the ticket would be for doing that, obviously there's a major danger of falling into the tracks so I'd guess at least $500

Bob.Kerns
06-30-2013, 06:53 PM
I would thinks that would be so, I'm just saying that, my PT, I cannot even put inside the train, whereas a more compact and less intimidating vehicle would not be a problem.

I've taken 2 PT's on an Amtrak once, (X2 and i2) and it took up all of the space for getting around, but with a solowheel or say a robin, you can put it almost anywhere.

I often take the train and bus/trolley, so I wish I could take my Segway but it is just too heavy and bulky, but a solowheel or robin would be a good option.

I would wonder how much the ticket would be for doing that, obviously there's a major danger of falling into the tracks so I'd guess at least $500

He indicated it was on the order of $400.

In my experience, transit agencies are pretty paranoid about risks. What to you or me is a tiny risk, doesn't look so tiny when you scale it up to thousands of people daily.

A Segway ended up on the BART tracks a while back, when the owner suffered some medical issue. Baby carriages have also ended up on the tracks; there was another case of this just a few weeks ago -- baby included.

Tritium
06-30-2013, 08:44 PM
For the record, the manufacturer of the solowheel states:
"Specifications:• Unit Weight: 24 lbs/10 kg"

KSagal
09-29-2013, 07:15 PM
So, what ever happened here? Do you use your solo wheel? Did I forget another conversation? I was looking thru some off topic posts, and stumbled upon this short thread.

airdale
09-29-2013, 08:13 PM
I realy like the RYNO wonder if you will have restrictions on that? Ive read 25mph and 12.5 mph.

So is the solo considered a mobility device? If not how does it meet the requirment?

Bob.Kerns
09-29-2013, 08:26 PM
I realy like the RYNO wonder if you will have restrictions on that? Ive read 25mph and 12.5 mph.

So is the solo considered a mobility device? If not how does it meet the requirment?

I can't see the SoloWheel working for anybody (or barely anybody) as a mobility device. It requires more active balance from the user than the Segway, and thus also more exertion.

It can't go slowly, so it really ends up only solving the "point A to point B" part of the equation, leaving you to deal with any mobility issue at both ends of the journey, burdened with an additional device.

So it would only provide advantage to a narrow range of physical capabilities, for a portion of the need. The cases where it does work -- it would work for anyone, and really should not need to be viewed as a disability aid.

I'm not saying it would absolutely never could be viewed as a mobility aid -- but I don't expect it to come up in practice.

If it ever did, I'm sure it would run into the same issues people on Segways face -- that it makes you look able-bodied, and looks like too much fun to have a serious purpose.

airdale
09-30-2013, 09:15 AM
I can't see the SoloWheel working for anybody (or barely anybody) as a mobility device. It requires more active balance from the user than the Segway, and thus also more exertion.

It can't go slowly, so it really ends up only solving the "point A to point B" part of the equation, leaving you to deal with any mobility issue at both ends of the journey, burdened with an additional device.

So it would only provide advantage to a narrow range of physical capabilities, for a portion of the need. The cases where it does work -- it would work for anyone, and really should not need to be viewed as a disability aid.

I'm not saying it would absolutely never could be viewed as a mobility aid -- but I don't expect it to come up in practice.

If it ever did, I'm sure it would run into the same issues people on Segways face -- that it makes you look able-bodied, and looks like too much fun to have a serious purpose.

Thanks I never knew any of that!...When you rely on nothing but mobility devices Im allways hoping for somthing new and better...

I cant figure out how you get on it? from a seated posistion?

PeteInLongBeach
09-30-2013, 11:29 AM
Online videos show the SoloWheel to have quite a learning curve, and even then it appears quite precarious. I think this is how the uninitiated / uninformed often view the Segway...

PeteInLongBeach
09-30-2013, 12:01 PM
*Thread hijack warning*

For places I can't take the Segway, I find this ingenius device works reeeely well :

http://www.bubblews.com/news/133325-brompton-folding-bike

Bob.Kerns
09-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Thanks I never knew any of that!...When you rely on nothing but mobility devices Im allways hoping for somthing new and better...

I cant figure out how you get on it? from a seated posistion?

Standing. And I can confirm, from conversation with an owner, that the learning curve is steep and much longer than for the Segway.

It's a cool device, and I expect to see more of them, among the able-bodied. It looks like a lot of fun, and has some real practical advantages in its portability, quick charge, price, etc.

Violet
10-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Thanks, Bob. This is good to know. I've been curious about SoloWheels.

gbrandwood
07-24-2014, 08:22 AM
They have been officially released in the UK under the brand name "AirWheel". It looks identical to the Solowheel.

I'm very tempted to get one. They are proclaimed to be UK legal ("AirWheel is the only legal unit of its kind"). The smallest and cheapest unit has the shortest range (6-8 miles) which is a bit shorter than I'd like. Not sure I want stump-up for a more expensive model as a first purchase. A used one for starters would be good until I master it. The most expensive models says it will do 24-28 miles - and actually has 2 wheels - http://www.theairwheel.com/airwheel).

Has the OP any further comments to share about their experience with the unit?

Gihgehls
07-24-2014, 12:36 PM
I tried riding a co-workers. I struggled a lot and it took me 10 minutes to be able to go forward 20 feet. He said I was learning remarkably fast. Turning is a very delicate balancing act. Expect to fall a lot before actually being able to take it on a ride somewhere.

Amimoto
07-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Please try before you buy, it's not as relex as Segway. I've spend 30 minutes try to master the thing but gave up in the end, as I don't want to break any bones.
Use the rope handle is easier to learn, but it is nowhere easy try to put the second foot on the paddle and take off, try to stop the wheel is anothet drama.

gbrandwood
07-24-2014, 05:19 PM
I tried riding a co-workers. I struggled a lot and it took me 10 minutes to be able to go forward 20 feet. He said I was learning remarkably fast. Turning is a very delicate balancing act. Expect to fall a lot before actually being able to take it on a ride somewhere.
Thanks for this. Sounds like it will be tough. I take it actually having ridden a Segway is not much help?

Please try before you buy, it's not as relex as Segway. I've spend 30 minutes try to master the thing but gave up in the end, as I don't want to break any bones.
Use the rope handle is easier to learn, but it is nowhere easy try to put the second foot on the paddle and take off, try to stop the wheel is anothet drama.I won't get the chance to try before I buy. It was like that when I bought my first Segway hence I bought the Segway expecting to keep it for a few months and then sell it. That's what I did but it wasn't long before I bought another...:)

The dealer has some used ones. I might go for the cheapest one if the discount is good enough and if I master it, upgrade. Otherwise, pop it on eBay and hope I don't lose too much. In fact, eBay has people in the UK selling them much cheaper than the dealer, and they are new. But I think I'd rather support the official dealer if his used prices are reasonable. Will find out tomorrow.

Gihgehls
07-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Having experience on the Segway will only help with your confidence in leaning forward. You will have almost no ability to turn (or correct in order to go straight) when you start. The things are really tough though, no problem jumping off and letting it fall over.

gbrandwood
07-25-2014, 08:00 AM
Well, I bought one! My Segway days are not all behind me but this will keep me busy for the next week or two! I'll let you know how it goes. It will arrive next week. I could do with some bruises! [B)]

(my wife doesn't know yet)

Amimoto
07-25-2014, 08:26 AM
Please use protective gear, a knee protection and gloves would be a good idea, as when you lose balance while turning, it's likely you hands and knee will have contact with ground.

sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk APP

gbrandwood
07-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Please use protective gear, a knee protection and gloves would be a good idea, as when you lose balance while turning, it's likely you hands and knee will have contact with ground.

sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk APP

Thanks for your concern. I will take some sensible precautions.

Gihgehls
07-25-2014, 12:17 PM
It is actually very easy to step off of the Solowheel. You're very low to the ground and your feet have plenty of escape routes.

gbrandwood
08-02-2014, 07:59 AM
Well, it still hasn't arrived yet but I now have confirmation that it will be dispatched on Monday for delivery on Tuesday. I bought a used model - an ex demo, so it is likely to be pretty bashed up but in full working order. And it was cheaper so I will see how it goes. I ended up with an x6 model which has the bigger wheel and stronger motor (and is a bit heavier), which I thought would be useful. Let the pain commence!

Gihgehls
08-04-2014, 12:28 PM
I had the chance to ride the solowheel again. After about 30 minutes (about an hour of total time) I was able to ride around our office, through open doorways and inbetween people. After I jumped off, someone said I looked like I had been climbing a mountain. I was sweaty!

During my second time out on it, I had a really enjoyable time rapidly learning. I could feel myself getting better and better each time I stepped back on. It was definitely a challenge, but very rewarding.

gbrandwood
08-04-2014, 04:31 PM
Excellent! I hope I can learn as quickly.

Gihgehls
08-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Feel free to hit me up in private if you'd like more advice. I'm open to skyping or something similar.

gbrandwood
08-05-2014, 04:56 PM
My AirWheel arrived today, a lot more battered than expected but I suppose my purchase price reflected its condition.

I practiced for over an hour in total, going from "gee this fun" to "gee this is impossible" to "hey look I'm doing it" (followed by jumping off abruptly).

After about an hour I got the hang of starting off and keeping going. I can't really turn too well yet. I can only vaguely influence its direction but I did almost manage a turn in the road before having to stop off.

When I plan to stop, I can slow it down and step off. Nothing too graceful yet. Lots more practice required. I can see developing a skill on this device will be quite rewarding making the experience much more serene.

Like Gihgehls found, it was very tiresome and I managed to work up a sweat. Probably all the jumping off and walking back to the start in my case.

I started off by leaning against a wall and moving along it. But as soon as I moved away from the wall I had to step off. I persevered and persevered.

Luckily it comes with a strap that you can use to stop it from toppling over when you step off. It stopped it getting even more banged up than it already was. [B)]

I found going a little faster made it easier to control. Although the constant beeping every time I exceeded the envelope was abit annoying. A bit like the Segway beeping when you turn with one foot off the mat - but louder.

I agree that having ridden a Segway is not much help in terms of the required skill. But, the keeping your legs bent and loose and the observation side of things - and hazard perception etc., put me in good stead. I thought back to the "Unofficial Segway code" guide I put together - and much of the advice is relevant (but much of it was common sense anyway I guess).

I really enjoyed progressing from bumbling buffoon to just a slightly bumbling buffoon! I'll practice again tomorrow, weather permitted. Much more control is required.

I have the x6 model so it is heaver than the lighter x3 - 11.5KG versus 9.8KG. And it felt quite heavy to me - heavier than I thought it would. You couldn't really carry it very far but it is light enough to pick up and maybe take it onto a train or bus, or easily pop it in the back of your car. But I'm not the strongest guy on the planet.

I think once I develop more control I will be able to better comment on its characteristics compared to the Segway.

Gihgehls
08-05-2014, 06:44 PM
So did you get a SoloWheel or an Airwheel? It seems Airwheels are much less expensive.

gbrandwood
08-06-2014, 02:19 AM
Mine is an AirWheel. But the Solowheel looks the same to me. Not sure if one is a copy of the other or simply different versions/branding. I've seen several different names used but they all look the same or very similar. I think the concept on all of them are the same.

KSagal
08-06-2014, 03:02 AM
Mine is an AirWheel. But the Solowheel looks the same to me. Not sure if one is a copy of the other or simply different versions/branding. I've seen several different names used but they all look the same or very similar. I think the concept on all of them are the same.

I wonder. I suspect that people who do not own a segway will see some of the knock offs, and feel and pretty much say the same thing...

Of course, I don't know the lineage. All I know is that the solo wheel exists, and that it was posted that Airwheels are much less expensive.

These things are often difficult to sort out.

gbrandwood
08-06-2014, 03:55 AM
I had the same thought when I wrote that. I might ask the seller if he knows the story. The top AirWheel model is now for sale in Harrods (in store) so I hope it is not a shameless copy.

Amimoto
08-06-2014, 09:20 AM
There's so many other brand of the single balancing wheel transporting device in Asia, I think there's more then 10 brands on the market and there's also the two wheel variant.

I found using the training rope is easier to get the hang of it, but overall experience is still hard to handle and nowhere near the relax glide of Segway.

Gihgehls
08-06-2014, 12:25 PM
It appears the Airwheel is actually more advanced, sporting the equivalent of our speed limiter and audible warnings. The solowheel instructions say something like "be careful about leaning too hard as there might not be enough power to keep you up."

gbrandwood
08-06-2014, 04:06 PM
It appears the Airwheel is actually more advanced, sporting the equivalent of our speed limiter and audible warnings. The solowheel instructions say something like "be careful about leaning too hard as there might not be enough power to keep you up."
I didn't get a manual with mine but the ones I have found online have all been poorly translated. It has the ability to slow you down when the battery runs low but the manual warns about starting it up again afterwards in case there is not enough power to manage a safe shutdown. A bit like a V10 Segway before the first recall (v12), I think.

I managed a couple of laps of my estate just now - which is a fairly quiet residential area with gentle turns. This followed lunchtime practice at work trying to slalom around some lampposts (fairly unsuccessfully). I feel like I am getting there but my ankles are sore (and red) and the side of my shins are also surprisingly sore. Speed bumps are manageable but stones might be enough to cause a mishap.

At this point, I think it will be a long time before I am totally relaxed - if ever. My goal is to become competent enough to operate on quite pavements so I can have a go at riding to work via the train station, a journey I made several times on my Segway (but from a different house which was about 2 miles closer to the station). So, I will focus on turning and then slopes.

gbrandwood
08-06-2014, 04:09 PM
There's so many other brand of the single balancing wheel transporting device in Asia, I think there's more then 10 brands on the market and there's also the two wheel variant. Airwheel offer two two-wheel models (their Q range) - mine is part of the single wheel X range. The two wheel version is supposedly much easier to learn requiring less balance skills, but I imagine also lacking something in fluidity. Not sure what would happen if you lean to the side and one wheel lifts... :eek:

PeteInLongBeach
08-06-2014, 09:40 PM
It seems to me that a folded Brompton isn't much larger or heavier a package than the airwheel / solowheel, and infinitely better dynamics and utility...

gbrandwood
08-07-2014, 04:20 AM
If all you are looking for is a way to get from A to B (with maybe some public transport involved) then the folding Brompton would certainly be an option - a fine option for many people. But not nearly as interesting or fun as something a bit more 'gadgety'. There are pros and cons for both and we have debated these when considering a bicycle versus a Segway, many times over the years. In this instance, the turning circle of the Airwheel is much bigger than the Segway - but probably smaller than a bicycle. Top speed is less than a bicycle and a Segway but still much quicker than walking. The range is infinitely less than a bicycle and most models offer less range than a Gen2 Segway, but there is much less exertion involved on the Airwheel than a bicycle (about the same as a Segway, once mastered) and practically no folding to be done. It's smaller and lighter than a Segway but less suited to people who need more stabilisation. And of course, as I'm finding, it is taking time to learn. A Segway was very quick for me. Can't recall how long it took me to learn a bicycle! The new Airwheel/Solowheel models posted by Luckie (http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=33238) look really cool - especially the Orbit (http://www.engadget.com/gallery/solowheel-orbit/2720909/#!slide=2720909)

gbrandwood
08-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Okay, getting there. Managed to ride to a coffee shop on campus, step off outside, carry it in, lean it against the wall and placed my order (to go). Carried my coffee and the ride back outside and started it up (was a bit tougher with an audience and the coffee in hand). Rode it back to the office... "like a boss"!

I hit the speed limiter for the first time today. I felt a bit more confident so tried to go faster. The speed limiter acts a lot like the Segway one does. It pushes you back - or rather it tilts the platform back so you only feel it in your feet (as there is no handlebar) - but it also beeps. I did as I was told and slowed down.

I can start and stop better now. If I could juggle I think I'd definitely try for a career in the circus!

I'm still using the training strap but not needing it so much. I think maybe in a week it'll come off.

airdale
08-08-2014, 09:17 AM
Okay, getting there. Managed to ride to a coffee shop on campus, step off outside, carry it in, lean it against the wall and placed my order (to go). Carried my coffee and the ride back outside and started it up (was a bit tougher with an audience and the coffee in hand). Rode it back to the office... "like a boss"!

I hit the speed limiter for the first time today. I felt a bit more confident so tried to go faster. The speed limiter acts a lot like the Segway one does. It pushes you back - or rather it tilts the platform back so you only feel it in your feet (as there is no handlebar) - but it also beeps. I did as I was told and slowed down.

I can start and stop better now. If I could juggle I think I'd definitely try for a career in the circus!

I'm still using the training strap but not needing it so much. I think maybe in a week it'll come off.
Have someone take a video for us to see? I know with my balance problems no way...but would be cool to see how a Seger makes the transition! Be safe

PeteInLongBeach
08-08-2014, 07:40 PM
My issue with this device would be evasive maneuvering / emergency stops. On the segway there have been countless times I have needed to turn and/or stop quickly and accurately to avoid something unexpected. I can't see how this can be accomlished as effectively (or at all) with a solo/air wheel.

gbrandwood
08-09-2014, 06:52 AM
Have someone take a video for us to see? I know with my balance problems no way...but would be cool to see how a Seger makes the transition! Be safe

I'm probably past the transition stage now having been using it on and off (no pun intended) this last week. However, I'd echo what Gihgehls said earlier - I don't think actually learning to use it was affected by my Segway skills. The learning is so different. Sure, you lean forwards and backwards etc., but I think a non-Segway rider would find it just as easy/tricky as I did. I think this device requires more skill to learn and your rate of success will be very personal based on your own individual abilities. Hence a video of me pootling around - or even videos of me learning, would be no different to other videos already online (other than people will be quicker to learn or take longer).

So basically, any videos you find on youtube will be just as valid, whether the rider uses Segways or not. I'll put some videos that I found useful at the end of this post.

My issue with this device would be evasive maneuvering / emergency stops. On the segway there have been countless times I have needed to turn and/or stop quickly and accurately to avoid something unexpected. I can't see how this can be accomlished as effectively (or at all) with a solo/air wheel.

I think once you have developed a high level of proficiency on these devices your ability to turn and stop will be better. Braking works pretty much like on a Segway. Only having a single wheel (smaller than a Segway on some models and narrower too) and no handlebar to hold, probably limits the aggressiveness of the braking manoeuvres but it will brake pretty well in my limited experience. The best bit is you are so low and not going much faster than 10MPH most of the time, in an emergency (I've had a few - "I'm about to hit a lamppost" type emergencies), you can step off or jump off. If you are quick you can grab the handle or if you have the learning band, you just hang on to that to prevent the wheel continuing without you. You can turn very quickly - probably quicker than on a Segway by twisting your feet/legs. But I've not mastered that yet.

The goal would be to minimise those situations where heavy breaking or turning is needed - which I'm sure we all do - but they do happen from time to time.

Of course, as far as I know there is no redundancy in this machine: one wheel, one motor, one battery, one control board etc. This worried me a little at first but it does seem to be solid and reliable. And I can't think of any times where the Segway's redundancy actually saved me from harm - but I would rather have redundancy if possible.

Other thoughts:

there is no key, just a single push button to power on and power off the device
Changing the tyre seems tricky has you have to take the case apart - but at least the valve is easily accessible and the tyres are readily available (standard ebike tyres).
No kickstand!
No lights (for illumination) or reflective gear (shame - they could at least carry some reflective stripes or something).
Very very quiet running. Quieter than a Segway - and less wheel-to-ground noise (because there is less wheel!).
Fewer legal issues. But that will vary country to country / state to state I guess. But Segways are not legal in the UK but these are so it is a plus. Although, I hope to hear of some more promising info about this on Monday.

These are some of the videos I found useful:

First attempts (this guy did much better than I did!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuxNoCBn7x8

Commuting in London promo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_KFIT8nWF8

General promo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0wdWLJPGLY

Airwheel starter video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivai7qOQq4s

Learning to ride.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDgx3H7lJGM

Learning the Solowheel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_-um9BU8Q4

PeteInLongBeach
08-11-2014, 10:14 PM
The goal would be to minimise those situations where heavy breaking or turning is needed - which I'm sure we all do - but they do happen from time to time.

Of course, as far as I know there is no redundancy in this machine: one wheel, one motor, one battery, one control board etc. This worried me a little at first but it does seem to be solid and reliable. And I can't think of any times where the Segway's redundancy actually saved me from harm - but I would rather have redundancy if possible.

Minimise, yes, but you can never eliminate those situations. I'm quite cautious, but I still encounter surprises on occasion. On such occasions, I find the Segway outhandles all my other "last mile" transports (kick scooters, bicycles) in response, accuracy, and predictability.

Redundancy has saved me from harm on several occasions, "unfortunately". I have an early i2, and if you've been following these forums you will remember I have had numerous subsystem failures that resulted in controlled shutdowns. If there had been no built-in redundancies, I hate to imagine what could have happened...

Lily Kerns
08-11-2014, 11:40 PM
Looks like good ankles would be an asset....

gbrandwood
08-12-2014, 02:27 AM
Don't get me wrong, Pete, there is no comparison. The quality and safety and utility of the Segway is superior. No doubt in my mind. And the redundancy is a key feature - but whilst I recognise the importance of it, I have never had it save me the way it has saved you.

But this device is fun and can do a lot of what a Segway can do and is much cheaper.

Lily, my ankles got pretty battered in the first few days as my riding style developed. They're OK now but strong ankles and legs help on this device for sure.

Gihgehls
08-12-2014, 12:23 PM
The solowheel really highlights what is amazing about the Segway: You can get up and go with very little "rewiring" needed in your brain. The cool thing about the solowheel is how much rewiring you get to experience :)

gbrandwood
08-16-2014, 06:26 AM
Well, I thought it only right I should come back here and report that I took a bit of a tumble...

Went to the shop to buy some bread. On the way back, after re-mounting, I had a bit of a wobble and had to step off. Got back on but this time I lost it. Didn't get chance to step off, I went down on to the pavement. Not quite a face plant. I landed on my side - shoulder and hands took the brunt of the fall.

I think I may have hit my head - my face ended up on the floor but I'm not really sure to be honest. There were no marks on my head or face.

I got up and inspected the damage. Some scrapes on my hands, some mud on my hoodie. But what is this? My little finger in a seemingly impossible position? Yikes! I looked around. No one seemed to be about. I picked up the bread and my ride and walked back home.

Turned out I had broken and dislocated my finger. It was popped back in later that day and is now bound up for a week or so. On the way to A&E in the car I passed out. Glad I didn't drive myself! A week on and I'm fine - just a bit sore and waiting for my finger to heal. Some 'road rash' on my hand and shoulder.

Since then I have been out twice on the Airwheel just to make sure I didn't become psychologically detached from it. You know, get straight back on it.

I've thought about what happened in some more detail and I think a number of factors caused my tumble. All my own fault. I think I was still feeling slightly uncomfortable and under pressure whenever my ride area was narrow and whenever people were about. When I stepped off the first time I felt people were watching. I rushed to get back on and this was in a fairly narrow pavement consisting of houses on one side and parked cars on the other. The pavement was not particularly smooth. I wobbled as is normal but this wobble was more severe. It either caused my foot to slip off the pedal or I tilted too much and the pedal grounded, hurtling me off. I'm not sure, in my haste, I actually had a sound mount to begin with. Plus it was wet. It had been raining and my previous step off would have meant my trainers were also wet. I was also carrying a bag with the bread in. So, I took a tumble and felt like a fool.

Two days earlier I had taken a ride on much rougher terrain and for several miles. The second half of which was all pavement alongside traffic. It had felt great. It was dark and difficult to see - so I was ultra cautious. But I made it 90% of my trip before the battery gave in and I had to walk. Reminded me of my early Gen1 days "mowing the pavement". The Airwheel gets heavy fast!!

So, there you go. I'm not giving up on it. I'm just going to be more careful about how and where I start up. I think, a little like on a Segway, starting off and stopping (and hills) are the tricky bits, riding is fine, so long as you avoid hazards of course.

KSagal
08-16-2014, 11:25 AM
1. I am glad you are okay.
2. Passing out is a bit scary. Did you have a brain scan, or did anyone check for concussion?
3. Were you wearing a bike helmet?
4. We all know this device is very different than a segway. Can you postulate on the likelihood of the outcome if you had taken this same adventure via segway?
5. I know there are safety gear that is available for roller blades as an example, in addition to helmets, there are elbow and knee pads, and wrist guards that have a firm plastic shank that protects wrists and fingers from injuries like yours.

Might you suggest some of these as either training aids, or standard ride gear?

6. Again, I am glad you seem to be okay. Story would have been much worse with permanent injury.

Additionally,
You mention that the tumble is all your own fault. I might say that I believe that everything we do, or don't do is our own fault, but in this case, while you did tumble because of actions you took, it is worth remembering that each tool we choose to use has its own set of additions and subtractions from any situation.

If you try to hammer a nail with a rock, the nail may go into the wood, but you may easily damage your fingers or the wood, and will more likely do this than if you use a hammer. The fault of damage would be yours for choosing the rock, but if you have no hammer, it may be a reasonable choice.

You chose to use this airwheel for a task. The airwheel brings to the table a certain set of advantages and disadvantages. Your tumble is a result of your choosing to use the airwheel, but also because of the characteristics of that airwheel. In the same situation, had you chosen a bicycle, a segway, or a car, or your own shoes, the results would have likely been different. Because of this, the airwheel also has some culpability in the damage to your body.

We all make discriminating decisions about the tools we use every day. Bike with exercise, sweat and enjoyment? Segway with less exercise, less sweat, more notoriety, enjoyment, and ...? Air wheel with all it brings and does not bring? Car with less enjoyment, exercise and sweat, but more convenience and speed, but also the hassle of parking and the nagging annoyance of fossil fuel consumption when not needed?

These are all presented to us each and every day. At some point, most of us want to use each tool available to us. At other points, each conveyance I mentioned above will not get chosen, often times for what it may have been chosen for on another day.

Over time, some will make the cut, and become a standard conveyance in our every day choices, and some will fall from daily use. There are things I use less than I used to, because the novelty has worn off, or because their pluses have been subtly overcome by their minuses.

gbrandwood
08-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Hi Karl

1. I am glad you are okay.
2. Passing out is a bit scary. Did you have a brain scan, or did anyone check for concussion?Thanks. There was no brain scan, the doctors just looked me over. Everything was fine. I probably just lost a few brain cells.
3. Were you wearing a bike helmet?I wasn't wearing any helmet. Had I been, I don't know if, on this occasion, it would have helped much.
4. We all know this device is very different than a segway. Can you postulate on the likelihood of the outcome if you had taken this same adventure via segway?Well, if I was on my Segway I certainly wouldn't have tumbled the way I did. I'm much more experienced on my Segway and haven't fallen off it, ever. I've had to step off a few times but never fallen. Had I been inexperienced and on my Segway, I still don't think it would have happened. Whilst getting on and off a Segway can be tricky for beginners, I always found it just takes a mere few minutes to master the mount and dismount. Other things tend to cause problems on the Segway - hazard perception and avoidance - but those things also apply to the Airwheel. I think the only advantage the Airwheel might have with regards to hazard avoidance is that it is much narrower.
5. I know there are safety gear that is available for roller blades as an example, in addition to helmets, there are elbow and knee pads, and wrist guards that have a firm plastic shank that protects wrists and fingers from injuries like yours.

Might you suggest some of these as either training aids, or standard ride gear?I think I would recommend some precautions when learning to ride. Some safety equipment would be sensible -as recommended way further up this thread. There has been one or two discussions about using helmets on this forum so I won't mention that here! :)

So, what have I learned? Well, when setting off, I need to ensure I take my time. I need to ensure the area is not crowded or has anything in it that will panic or stress me out should I veer slightly to the left or right (e.g. parked cars or buildings). I need to ensure my 'mounting foot' is firmly and correctly in place before setting off. I need to focus and not let the presence of other people make me do anything I wouldn't ordinarily do. If I step off and need to remount, I must take it slow the second time. Do not rush. Do not feel pressured by others or become frustrated with myself.

If I can do all that, I'm sure I will be more successful, just like I was a few days earlier on my 8-9KM ride.

KSagal
08-18-2014, 07:04 PM
Hi Karl

Thanks. There was no brain scan, the doctors just looked me over. Everything was fine. I probably just lost a few brain cells.
I wasn't wearing any helmet. Had I been, I don't know if, on this occasion, it would have helped much.
Well, if I was on my Segway I certainly wouldn't have tumbled the way I did. I'm much more experienced on my Segway and haven't fallen off it, ever. I've had to step off a few times but never fallen. Had I been inexperienced and on my Segway, I still don't think it would have happened. Whilst getting on and off a Segway can be tricky for beginners, I always found it just takes a mere few minutes to master the mount and dismount. Other things tend to cause problems on the Segway - hazard perception and avoidance - but those things also apply to the Airwheel. I think the only advantage the Airwheel might have with regards to hazard avoidance is that it is much narrower.
I think I would recommend some precautions when learning to ride. Some safety equipment would be sensible -as recommended way further up this thread. There has been one or two discussions about using helmets on this forum so I won't mention that here! :)

So, what have I learned? Well, when setting off, I need to ensure I take my time. I need to ensure the area is not crowded or has anything in it that will panic or stress me out should I veer slightly to the left or right (e.g. parked cars or buildings). I need to ensure my 'mounting foot' is firmly and correctly in place before setting off. I need to focus and not let the presence of other people make me do anything I wouldn't ordinarily do. If I step off and need to remount, I must take it slow the second time. Do not rush. Do not feel pressured by others or become frustrated with myself.

If I can do all that, I'm sure I will be more successful, just like I was a few days earlier on my 8-9KM ride.

I can boil that all down to the beginning and the end...

I have so few brain cells left, I keep them numbered and have a pet name for each. Loosing a few brain cells for me might be the difference of being sentient or not. (Some here may say I have already lost that contest...)

You need to start this device in a place devoid of cars, people and buildings. Sounds like a great device, as long as each ride starts and ends in Kansas. Maybe Oklahoma. Perhaps an abandoned aircraft carrier.

As long as these criteria are met, seems like a great item...

All kidding aside, keep us posted on your progress. Perhaps this was the one and only spill you will ever have to report.

Also, I recall a movement last year or two ago, about people who were trying to pad all poles and posts on sidewalks over there, in order to help those who walk and text at the same time, and had been walking into posts.

Is that still going on? If so, you may want to only start and end your glides in places where all (and I mean ALL) the potential obstacles are padded for your comfort as you collide with them.

I just thought of a way you can comfortably glide most anywhere you like... Hire a bunch of kids who can run along side you with mattresses. (perhaps air mattresses would be easier)

If you have the money, and they hold the mattresses vertical like walls, you can have your own travelling padded octagon. Kind of like a padded cell that moves with you...

On weekends, you can save some money, and use a travelling hexagon.

Good luck. Keep us posted...

gbrandwood
08-19-2014, 08:54 AM
I will certainly keep you posted.

I think I just need more time to master this device. Once I feel I have it licked, my operating requirements will be simpler and not require Kansas to be at either end of my journey!

I have to say that I have read about and seen, first-hand, much worse endured by Segway riders. And none of those incidents were the fault of the SPT per se, usually just the operator or other environmental factors - as was the case for my tumble off the Airwheel.

gbrandwood
12-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Just as a minor update to this thread. I have since sold the Airwheel. Whilst I did enjoy riding it and did manage to get back on it after my accident, I fell out of love with it as a serious transportation option, for me at least.

SegwayDan
12-18-2014, 12:51 AM
Just as a minor update to this thread. I have since sold the Airwheel. Whilst I did enjoy riding it and did manage to get back on it after my accident, I fell out of love with it as a serious transportation option, for me at least.

Thanks for the accounts, which I just read, of your Airwheel experience. Glad you survived it reasonably intact.

Reflecting on your experience and my own perceptions of the device when I saw the initial videos of it in operation, I really couldn't see the validity of its design, based mainly on the fact that it had only one wheel.

Sure, they somehow made it "work" and showed skilled operators on it who were rather convincing. But what I DIDN'T see were any "panic stops" or any slow speed maneuvers which would be rather essential if one were operating it in crowds or busy concourses.

But then I could see why we didn't see any such operations, because such aren't really possible on that thing.

I'm also not surprised to NOT see any Ryno devices around for similar reasons.

Dean Kamen stuck his neck out with the design of the Segway PT, perhaps giving the general public too much credit in expecting mass adoption in large numbers. Even though its design is much more sound and viable, it also carries with it a rather high requirement that the operator be substantially agile, both mentally and physically, and be able to be far more alert and observant than the average Joe so as to avoid gliding mishaps.

I've called gliding "low level flight" on a number of occasions. I think the comparison is apt, because airplane pilots are also held to much higher than average levels of alertness, training, preparedness, clear thinking, quick reactions, calmness under pressure and/or dangerous condition, etc.

Airplanes cost a lot, mainly because they have be be safety certified and reliable. Same goes for the Segway PT.

Operators of both, though, enjoy the uncommon pleasures of flight.

Gihgehls
12-18-2014, 02:46 PM
The solowheel seems to me to be more of a sporty hobby, like rollerblading or some such. The Segway is much more "pedestrian" (heh) in its design. The solowheel never tried to be a Segway. It's an electric unicycle, that's all. If you ride a solowheel, you're still riding a unicycle. Panic stops work the same way they do on a unicycle-- You put your feet on the ground. Working in crowds is more difficult, since you need to keep moving to remain stable, but you don't need to be going very fast. The expert at my work can do turns roughly 5 feet in diameter, which is difficult.

Basically, if you don't want to learn a new physical skill, and want a safety-conscious method of transport, the Solowheel is not for you. That doesn't mean it is useless.

gbrandwood
12-19-2014, 09:11 AM
The solowheel seems to me to be more of a sporty hobby, like rollerblading or some such. The Segway is much more "pedestrian" (heh) in its design. The solowheel never tried to be a Segway. It's an electric unicycle, that's all. If you ride a solowheel, you're still riding a unicycle. Panic stops work the same way they do on a unicycle-- You put your feet on the ground. Working in crowds is more difficult, since you need to keep moving to remain stable, but you don't need to be going very fast. The expert at my work can do turns roughly 5 feet in diameter, which is difficult.

Basically, if you don't want to learn a new physical skill, and want a safety-conscious method of transport, the Solowheel is not for you. That doesn't mean it is useless.

I agree with Gihgehls on this. It required much more effort to learn (for me anyways) but was rewarding in its own unique way. But it also carried more risk in my opinion - but also had other benefits in terms of portability and lower costs.

It's such a shame to me that the Ryno, which once talked about travelling at speeds of up to 25MPH, will launch limited to 10MPH (launching next year - they're not out yet). That's the same speed as an Airwheel and slower than a Segway. With less range than a Segway. Shame.

airdale
12-19-2014, 11:00 AM
It's such a shame to me that the Ryno, which once talked about travelling at speeds of up to 25MPH, will launch limited to 10MPH (launching next year - they're not out yet). That's the same speed as an Airwheel and slower than a Segway. With less range than a Segway. Shame.

Those are very good points....then the better batteries are extra....the delay of the launch and that you have to go to Oregon to test ride before you can buy...

There communication is lacking from ever aspect.... Price is OK...

mikemrm
01-01-2015, 11:02 PM
I too looked at last mile alternatives to my Segway. after reading about Solowheel(and now 100's of copies) I decided to try one of these: Mini Smart Self Balancing Electric Unicycle Scooter balance 2 wheels (sorry I don't NO how to paste a link, look this up on ebay) Not bad! look around as there are already 100's of these! one thing that steered me away from the Solowheel( 1 wheelers) is their legality. This meets the definition of a EPAMD

Cybercat
01-02-2015, 09:39 AM
I too looked at last mile alternatives to my Segway. after reading about Solowheel(and now 100's of copies) I decided to try one of these: Mini Smart Self Balancing Electric Unicycle Scooter balance 2 wheels (sorry I don't NO how to paste a link, look this up on ebay) Not bad! look around as there are already 100's of these! one thing that steered me away from the Solowheel( 1 wheelers) is their legality. This meets the definition of a EPAMD

Since when does a "unicycle" have 2 wheels???

mikemrm
01-02-2015, 10:16 AM
Yeah I NO. Chinese(Japanese) descriptions (and their manuals) are hilarious! Google the description WITHOUT the unicycle word. Me

mikemrm
01-02-2015, 10:38 AM
Look up efreefeet.com.(S5-05)It says "tire size: 1700mm"(should be 170mm)! That tire size would give my Segway XT 62.92" of ground clearance! Me

mikemrm
01-09-2015, 03:46 PM
Sorry, I meant 29.46" of ground clearance.

Gihgehls
01-12-2015, 12:19 PM
Sounds like you're saying that numbers can be easy to screw up.