PDA

View Full Version : Segway Tribute from a Chicago Day

4Seg
11-20-2002, 03:18 AM
From the first 60 Minutes and the introduction of Mr. Kamen months before the reveal, I was riveted. What was "IT"? I immediately began my research. My personal passion was to find out. December last year, we found out what "IT" seemed to be. Segway was the answer. One can only imagine the mouse miles and the countless keystrokes through web sites like Google.com, that_other_site.com, GingerChat.com, SegwayChat.com, and my site STLSegway.com.

Almost eight months later and on June 11th, 2002, I met with the Segway HT in Chicago. The chariot-like entity, quietly perched in it's triangular plexi-glass showcase, was proudly displayed next to such adversaries as a strong cold-steel steam engine train and gleaming silver jetliner. Although all three contrasted in size, I realized Segway's superior technology.

I wandered the museum nearly two hours, surveying hundreds of inventions and waiting patiently for the Segway show to begin. Gandering at great inventions throughout our time, I could not help but to wonder if Dean Kamen comes here to think? Perhaps The Smithsonian? I descended a staircase and strolled through a opening just outside a steam engine exhibit, when my blood ran cold and my heart refused to pump a single liquid ounce. Before and beside me, a Segway employee strolled to the vast center of the marble-floored rotunda. Ever so quiet and ever so graceful, only then I understood why the the Segway team called "IT" a Segway (seque).

Camera in hand, I snapped photos of other team members travel the floors, enter elevators, traverse entry ramps up to the Segway show. All seemed in place with other foot bound people in the museum. People began to flock while another camera man shot video of an elderly man taking his first ride. Thirty seconds into the ride, he fell off... JUST KIDDING!! Actually, the only thing he cracked was a huge smile lasting hours after his ride. Fifty or more people were on a segue path that day before yours truly decided to wait in line; thus, only watching was my vicarious Segway experience.

Having experience with myriad mobility devices (anywhere from bicycles, motorcycles, and even unicycles), my muscle memory dictated to me to "control" the Segway. Grab that control shaft and ride! Four seconds into my experience, I realized that muscle memory approach was wrong. My instructor coaxed me into relaxing. Thirty seconds later, I realized how intuitively responsive the Segway is. I was controlling it in a new way, "IT" was responding to me; quite differently than me "controlling" something. The Segway was different. The Segway HT a "Smart mobility device".
I met other Segway enthusiasts from that_other_site.com there that day. I have to thank CJ and Dave for snapping photos and making the videos for my site. They have been a pleasure to share with the Segway Community.
Yesterday, I ordered my first segway and will be posting items on a new site I registered a while back. www.myfirstsegway.com - I hope to let others share their experiences.
IT has been very exciting and IT is only the beginning.

If we could only be resellers...

Brooster
11-20-2002, 04:41 AM
Well said, bud!

Brooster

4Seg
11-20-2002, 09:08 PM
Thanks Broo. Hey did you get the code yet?

If we could only be resellers...

Brooster
11-20-2002, 10:21 PM
They sent me an invalid code! LOL!

Ohhh, man ... who knows, 4Seg? Ya hafta wonder ...

Brooster

GlideMaster
11-21-2002, 03:25 PM
I just heard from Brosster and he indicates that he just heard from Segway and they addressed the contest code problem and it has been resolved.

quote:Originally posted by Brooster

They sent me an invalid code! LOL!

Ohhh, man ... who knows, 4Seg? Ya hafta wonder ...

Brooster

Brooster
11-21-2002, 07:46 PM
Segway was quick to address the situation today, and I appreciate their help.

Brooster

Blinky
11-22-2002, 08:03 PM
Brooster writes,
quote:Segway was quick to address the situation today, and I appreciate their help.
I wonder what the respond time will be from Segway LLC once they get the ball rolling and have tons of people owning Segway's writing/emailing/calling in their problems.