PDA

View Full Version : YOUTUBE-Ultimate Segway fails compilation

bob yarbrough
01-27-2013, 07:11 AM
This appeared on You Tube today. Thought you all might enjoy. There is one fail clip in the compilation that (in my humble opinion), was performed on purpose. Since it is just my opinion I'm not gonna say which one it is, of course one could argue that because of stupidity or carelessness they are all done on purpose <grin>.

Ultimate Segway fails compilation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8oKJbU5MCQ

be safe
enjoy your glide

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

JPM
01-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Well, I think what I just saw was a mixture of:

1. A lack of (more likely a complete absence of) proper training.
2. Zero understanding of the physics behind how the Segway works.
3. Attempts at stunting and using the Segway in places and ways that it was never intended to be used.
4. A complete disregard of the machine as well as a lack of respect one needs to have of its capabilities in order to be a safe and happy operator.
5. People doing what they do best - being dumb.

If nothing else, this video did show how durable Segways really are. Some of those crashes weren't exactly gentle and it appears as if the Segways survived each and every one of them.

KSagal
01-27-2013, 01:55 PM
I am afraid that I do not see this as amusing.

This is a positive segway place, this forum. That tape was designed to make fun of people having accidents. I do not think that making a video of that sort more popular will make the segway environment improved or better received to the general public, but just the opposite.

No one was explaining the most common mistake I observed which was a wheel strike to another object (sometimes another segway) and no one mentioned that all of these accidents were operator error, or even that one was not even a segway.

I see tapes like this to be destructive, and do not promote anything positive.

I would place this video among others of car accidents, or people falling and hurting themselves. I have never gained entertainment from watching others hurt themselves.

I am not saying that it should not be posted here, just that I could not enjoy it as the OP suggested.

bob yarbrough
01-27-2013, 04:41 PM
I am afraid that I do not see this as amusing.

This is a positive segway place, this forum. That tape was designed to make fun of people having accidents. I do not think that making a video of that sort more popular will make the segway environment improved or better received to the general public, but just the opposite.

No one was explaining the most common mistake I observed which was a wheel strike to another object (sometimes another segway) and no one mentioned that all of these accidents were operator error, or even that one was not even a segway.

I see tapes like this to be destructive, and do not promote anything positive.

I would place this video among others of car accidents, or people falling and hurting themselves. I have never gained entertainment from watching others hurt themselves.

I am not saying that it should not be posted here, just that I could not enjoy it as the OP suggested.

Karl,

(IMHO), I know you are probably not joking in your response, but you are taking that compilation way to freaking seriously. Yes, you are a person of strong opinions but really...GOOD GRIEF!!!

be safe
enjoy your glide...
and if someone catches you falling / crashing on video we will probably laugh (or cry or even pray) at/for you.

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

gbrandwood
01-27-2013, 06:25 PM
I am not saying that it should not be posted here, just that I could not enjoy it as the OP suggested.There is a certain fascination with this kind of video and there has been for as long as the common man could afford a video camera.

It is not to everybody's taste but there is enough public interest in such things to keep primetime TV shows running for years and year and years.

I don't see the video as positive as such but I can see the humour in it. I can also see how some narrow-minded people might try to claim it as evidence of how unsafe the Segway is - but I would hope most people can discern that every slip, trip and fall is being caused by people either being dumb or by making mistakes (user error).

These videos exist for almost every vehicle type you can imagine and I would hope that a Segway is now common enough to also feature because it shows it is becoming more mainstream.

My only gripe is that it is not entitled "Segway PT operator fails" - but the more accurate title might not register so many hits in the search engines and is not the way these things are done.

If the video was explicitly asserting the fails were the direct fault of the Segway, then I would have a different position and I assume Segway INC might too.

KSagal
01-27-2013, 07:10 PM
There is a certain fascination with this kind of video and there has been for as long as the common man could afford a video camera.

It is not to everybody's taste but there is enough public interest in such things to keep primetime TV shows running for years and year and years.

I don't see the video as positive as such but I can see the humour in it. I can also see how some narrow-minded people might try to claim it as evidence of how unsafe the Segway is - but I would hope most people can discern that every slip, trip and fall is being caused by people either being dumb or by making mistakes (user error).

I believe that some of these very same clips were used on this forum not two weeks ago, from an individual who was claiming to be both a segway owner with a heart condition and also claiming it as evidence as to why he thought Disney aught not admit segways. (Of course he was ignorant of the fact that they already have many many segways, and rent them everyday.)

I may not have as much of a sense of humor in this area, but I also know it does not take many to make a complaint, nor change access rules. And they are more than happy to take videos like this out of context and use them as examples.

For the record, I know that there are many video television shows that show funny home videos of people falling down and hurting themselves. I don't find them entertaining either. I do know that some people find them amusing, and do not say they should not, but neither am I happy to have people tell me that I should. In this area, I guess it is best to say, "to each, their own."

gbrandwood
01-27-2013, 07:41 PM
I would never tell you what to do or like, Karl!

The position put forward in the Disney thread, supported by such videos, was so easily refuted, so quickly and by so many, it makes my point!

Maybe we should edit the video releasing our own version, with additional text before each clip explaining the cause? That would be positive.

bob yarbrough
01-27-2013, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=KSagal;228201]I am afraid that I do not see this as amusing.

That tape was designed to make fun of people having accidents.

No one was explaining the most common mistake

Karl,

I don't believe me saying "I hope you might enjoy it" is anything akin to telling someone to watch it.

There was NO "designed" in that video. It was a simple compilation of factual video clips. I saw at least two compilation videos before this one. In both some of the clips were, as you said "designed" in that several of the clips were repeated in slow motion. This video showed no such "designed".

If you want to offer an opinion fine. All I would ask is not to compare it to your "designed" videos.

be safe
enjoy your glide

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

Lily Kerns
01-27-2013, 11:28 PM

The position put forward in the Disney thread, supported by such videos, was so easily refuted, so quickly and by so many, it makes my point!

Maybe we should edit the video releasing our own version, with additional text before each clip explaining the cause? That would be positive.

Not too bad an idea, actually... I've seen some of these enough times that we probably wouldn't get into any legal hassles. Or if not using this video, showing and explaining the result of hitting a stationary object, the toppling back and forth as sheer stupidity--testing the law of gravity maybe? a title like Segways and the Law of Gravity or The Truth About Segways ought to attract the people looking for this kind of stuff. And then linking to it from this and similar videos...

kendall69
01-28-2013, 01:06 AM
I believe that some of these very same clips were used on this forum not two weeks ago, from an individual who was claiming to be both a segway owner with a heart condition and also claiming it as evidence as to why he thought Disney aught not admit segways. (Of course he was ignorant of the fact that they already have many many segways, and rent them everyday.)

"

NO the Ignorant curmudgeon is you Jerk. You wanna start calling NAMES, then I'm all in Moronic FAN BOY. The second you pull your head out of your private parts you's see I'm 100% correct .
Only a fool like you would attempt to ride a Segway in Disney with TOE TO TOE crowds.

Once you stop Drinking the Segway Koolaid you will see these are NOT the safest products on the planet. Segways FALL OVER WITH PEOPLE ON THEM. ( VIDEO PROOF ) Kids will get killed. There a thousand videos on the web proving MY POINT and none proving YOURS - you simpleton. Here's FACT Jerk boy. two wheels are not as safe as FOUR do the math moron.

Serious Injuries From Riding Segways Increasing
Injury Data Released Shortly After Company Owner Dies in Segway Accident

http://www.webmd.com/brain/news/20100927/serious-injuries-from-riding-segways-increasing

The Guardian the British government's response to the unveiling of the Segway was to publish its "Regulations for Self-balancing Scooters" which effectively banned the machine from all paths and roads due to the apparent dangers:

http://www.treehugger.com/cars/segways-illegal-in-the-uk-the-guardian-asks-why.html

GRAVE of DEAD SEGWAY INVENTOR
http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/articles/deadly-segway

Injuries Caused by Segways

California Segway accident attorneys recover financial damages for people suffering from the following kinds of injuries due to a malfunctioning or defective Segway:

Broken bones
Broken wrists
Spinal cord injuries
Facial injuries
Head injuries
Disfiguration
Severe lacerations

Unfortunately for some riders, this resulted in the machine suddenly turning off if it sensed its speed limit was about to be exceeded. In other cases, a Segway would suddenly turn off if its battery ran out; in other cases, the Segway would suddenly go in reverse at high speeds. In each case, riders were thrown from the machine or fell to the ground with their Segway, suffering serious injuries and head contusions.

Lastly You pathetic LOSER put your money where your BIG MOUTH IS. Put up the price of a NEW SEGWAY and if I can't prove ownership of a Segway and a heart condition you mentally deficient liar, then I will but you a new Segway. If I CAN then you buy me one.

Ya I thought that would shut your big mouth while hiding behind a computer screen

KSagal
01-28-2013, 02:59 AM
NO the Ignorant curmudgeon is you Jerk. You wanna start calling NAMES, then I'm all in Moronic FAN BOY. The second you pull your head out of your private parts you's see I'm 100% correct .
Only a fool like you would attempt to ride a Segway in Disney with TOE TO TOE crowds.

Once you stop Drinking the Segway Koolaid you will see these are NOT the safest products on the planet. Segways FALL OVER WITH PEOPLE ON THEM. ( VIDEO PROOF ) Kids will get killed. There a thousand videos on the web proving MY POINT and none proving YOURS - you simpleton. Here's FACT Jerk boy. two wheels are not as safe as FOUR do the math moron.

Serious Injuries From Riding Segways Increasing
Injury Data Released Shortly After Company Owner Dies in Segway Accident

http://www.webmd.com/brain/news/20100927/serious-injuries-from-riding-segways-increasing

The Guardian the British government's response to the unveiling of the Segway was to publish its "Regulations for Self-balancing Scooters" which effectively banned the machine from all paths and roads due to the apparent dangers:

http://www.treehugger.com/cars/segways-illegal-in-the-uk-the-guardian-asks-why.html

Injuries Caused by Segways

California Segway accident attorneys recover financial damages for people suffering from the following kinds of injuries due to a malfunctioning or defective Segway:

Broken bones
Broken wrists
Spinal cord injuries
Facial injuries
Head injuries
Disfiguration
Severe lacerations

Unfortunately for some riders, this resulted in the machine suddenly turning off if it sensed its speed limit was about to be exceeded. In other cases, a Segway would suddenly turn off if its battery ran out; in other cases, the Segway would suddenly go in reverse at high speeds. In each case, riders were thrown from the machine or fell to the ground with their Segway, suffering serious injuries and head contusions.

Lastly You pathetic LOSER put your money where your BIG MOUTH IS. Put up the price of a NEW SEGWAY and if I can't prove ownership of a Segway and a heart condition you mentally deficient liar, then I will but you a new Segway. If I CAN then you buy me one.

Ya I thought that would shut your big mouth while hiding behind a computer screen

You might want to calm down. I fail to see anyplace where I called you a name. I said you claimed to be a segway owner with a heart condition. That is so, you did claim to be that. I did not say if it was so or not, as I do not know. I also said you claimed some of these video clips were evidence as to why Disney denies them access, which is also so. You did claim this. Disney does however allow them for profit, just not for other reasons.

You however have called me many names for naught. I hope it makes you feel better.

Have a nice day.

gbrandwood
01-28-2013, 02:59 AM
Not too bad an idea, actually... I've seen some of these enough times that we probably wouldn't get into any legal hassles. Or if not using this video, showing and explaining the result of hitting a stationary object, the toppling back and forth as sheer stupidity--testing the law of gravity maybe? a title like Segways and the Law of Gravity or The Truth About Segways ought to attract the people looking for this kind of stuff. And then linking to it from this and similar videos...

Yes, I think I might attempt it over the next few days. Will post back. "The truth about Segway fails"?

KSagal
01-28-2013, 03:04 AM

You say they are easily refuted, but Disney has won in court. We are talking about the appeal.

That indicates to me that they are not as easily refuted as you claim.

Look at the silly claims made as a result of my saying that these video clips were used as supposed evidence.

We, who actually know what we are talking about, may easily refute them. Unfortunately, there are others among us with different capacities.

gbrandwood
01-28-2013, 03:08 AM
Sorry, I wasn't saying the Disney position was easily refuted. If Disney based their entire position on those videos on YouTube then perhaps it would. But the Disney case is far more complex and over my head in terms of the facts and detail. I'm not up on those details to comment enough.

KSagal
01-28-2013, 03:58 AM
Sorry, I wasn't saying the Disney position was easily refuted. If Disney based their entire position on those videos on YouTube then perhaps it would. But the Disney case is far more complex and over my head in terms of the facts and detail. I'm not up on those details to comment enough.

I would say that the media is flooded with far more misinformation about segways than information. Surely the popular video markets, like you tube and gizmodo are.

When you are trying to educate even honest and reasonable people about a topic, yet you constantly bombard them with images you say they should ignore, and do not replace them with commensurate positive images, then you will influence the thinking on that topic.

Marketing and advertising use this all the time. So do political ads. Your brain can only logically tell your memory to ignore images when it has other images that it can substitute with.

I can tell you not to think of a pink elephant. Now, do not think of a pink elephant, because if you think of a pink elephant, you will visualize pink elephants. That is of course, unless you think of a red and white zebra.

Consider honestly, the images that were in your head through that last paragraph.

eJM
01-28-2013, 06:49 AM

Why not just post comments to the existing video(s)?

Before I got my Segway, I saw a bunch of crash and burn videos. To an idiot, one would have to believe not even a monkey (or a chimp) could do it. An idiot would believe these things a serious danger to society, let alone a viable mode of transportation to someone disabled like me. But I'm not an idiot, so I got one. 'Course, I gotta admit, idiots don't really know they're idiots, so maybe I am one. :eek:

I enjoy crash and burn videos of all sorts. The Segway ones not so much, but there is a snicker or 3 in some of them. I don't see them as a liability here on SegwayChat. Maybe in court, as testimony for Disney, but I have confidence that the attorneys representing us disabled Segway users and their witnesses, expert testimony and evidence shows those videos for what they are. I am sure that these videos will exist, whether we like them or not. We can't do anything to stop them.

Anti-seggers exist too. I repeat my plea to all of you to stop taking their bait. Instead of replying to them, report their offensive posts. I did.

Thanks, bob yarbrough, for the entertainment tonight. :D

Jim

carlotaglia
01-28-2013, 07:14 AM

Kendall, first of all you are so rude, secondly I will make you a question: do you have a Segway?
Have you ever rode a Segway for more than 10 minutes of demonstration or 1-2 hours of Segway Tour?
I suppose not and if you have a Segway, you are probably not able to use it properly.

All riders in that video were absolutely beginners and this is a fact.
With over 4000km riding experience, I fell just one time (excluding first tests), when a driver that decided to park his car on the bicycle path, also decided to go back quickly without checking on the rear-view mirror and it crashed directly on me, that was braking (I have to thank to Segway's crash test's department).
Instead, in 6 years of using my i2, I can't calculate how much dangerous situations I escaped from with emergency braking (also when it's raining or snowing) without falling or lay one of my feet on the floor.

So, please, don't talk about things that you don't know perfectly and don't be rude.

Five-Flags
01-28-2013, 07:35 AM
NO the Ignorant curmudgeon is you Jerk. You wanna start calling NAMES, then I'm all in Moronic FAN BOY.

{snip}

How about a picture of the very-much-alive Segway inventor:
http://venturebeat.com/2012/11/30/after-two-decades-dean-kamen-the-mascot-of-invention-is-still-touting-educational-sports/

You have to actually KNOW what you're babbling about before anyone will listen.....

See my signature for further guidance....

:)

gbrandwood
01-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Why not just post comments to the existing video(s)?I think people are more likely to watch the video than read the comments. And I think it might be fun to do. So I will have a go and post back here. If we don't think it is helpful then it can be deleted.

I can tell you not to think of a pink elephant. Now, do not think of a pink elephant, because if you think of a pink elephant, you will visualize pink elephants. That is of course, unless you think of a red and white zebra.

Consider honestly, the images that were in your head through that last paragraph.As I read the words pink elephant I visualised that - same for the red and white zebra. But that does not leave me thinking they exist. Do they? ;)

Pictures, words, videos, actions... can all be powerful and persuasive, but that does not mean all pictures, words, videos and actions are persuasive - at least not for everyone.

Having watched your Road Runner video I do not think that Segways are all evil devices trying to take down Wile E Coyote! But some people might ;)

QuadSquad
01-28-2013, 09:33 AM
You say they are easily refuted, but Disney has won in court. We are talking about the appeal.

To be perfectly clear Disney successfully crafted and engineered a settlement....they neither successfully argued or won the argument about the safety of the Segway. It is this settlement which is being appealed.

The greatest danger to any community is always posed by those from within (or claiming to be from within) the community who are willing to sell their soul for a few pieces of silver.

vantramp
01-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Like most other threads, I can see good points on both sides of the main discussion in this one.

I don't personally enjoy fail compilations either for most of the same reasons as Karl, but I like the perspectives given by most of the others who posted and really appreciate the idea of using the negative in a positive way as some suggested(education).

Kendall69, your methods are drowning out anything useful you might be trying to convey. Since I imagine that isn't your goal, try a calm, thoughtful and factual approach maybe.

-Mike

gbrandwood
01-28-2013, 05:40 PM
I think editing the video might take longer than I thought!

So I thought perhaps using something like TubeChop might work? No copyright issues that way. Here is my attempt at a draft page.

http://www.legalisesegways.co.uk/fails.html

It might be good to group the same types of fail clips together (e.g., hitting immovable objects - all grouped together with one description/advice)?

Lily Kerns
01-28-2013, 07:14 PM
I think editing the video might take longer than I thought!

So I thought perhaps using something like TubeChop might work? No copyright issues that way. Here is my attempt at a draft page.

http://www.legalisesegways.co.uk/fails.html

It might be good to group the same types of fail clips together (e.g., hitting immovable objects - all grouped together with one description/advice)?

I have the software (but limited time) for editing video if that will be of any help...
Yes, the grouping would be a good idea.

Limited time??? I just started an online class about online learning from Coursera. There are 40,000--yes you read that right--- people enrolled for this class from literally around the world. Fascinating and a bit of mass confusion....

Bob.Kerns
01-28-2013, 07:50 PM

Stop right there. You have just demonstrated your total disregard for facts. The Segway's inventor is alive and well.

Please take your foul language, rudeness, and peddling of falsehoods elsewhere.

I am happy to engage people who disagree with me, but not people who are simply disagreeable.

KSagal
01-29-2013, 12:25 AM
As I read the words pink elephant I visualised that - same for the red and white zebra. But that does not leave me thinking they exist. Do they? ;)

Pictures, words, videos, actions... can all be powerful and persuasive, but that does not mean all pictures, words, videos and actions are persuasive - at least not for everyone...

You missed my point.

You did think of a pink elephant. You did think of a red and white zebra. Neither exist for real, yet you had those images in your head.

My point however, is that you did not even consider a grey elephant, did you? (Be honest)

You did not even consider a black and white zebra, did you?

That is my point. And, even if you did think of a proper elephant or zebra, these are very common images we can all come up with.

The general public however, has very little exposure to actual segways in the wild, we talk about that all the time. They have very little exposure to segways doing the right thing. (The grey elephant)

Because of all this, the only image that is quick to come to mind, are the video images that are offered up time and time again, like the ones offered in the discussed video.

That was my point.

If you only offer negative images, and do not offer nearly as many positive images, the minimally educated (on this topic) public will pull the images they have seen. Even if we depend on people who know very little about segway to determine in a vacuum that almost all the images they have seen about segways as not representative as to how segways act, it is a dicey proposition.

I know what I am speaking about. I taught skydiving for a dozen years. The segway is not the only thing on the planet that has people who have never experienced it making constant decisions about it. Who do you think could make a better assessment about anything, a person who has done it, or a person who has not?

I do not know if you have ever jumped from a plane, but I am sure you have heard many people who never have tell you all about it, how dangerous, and silly or negative it is. They ignore the fact that statistically, the argument could be made that it is more dangerous to drive to the airport than it is to jump from the plane.

Segways are not different. If we present only negative images, we will get negative impressions...

Maybe I should explain myself differently...

If you go to a skydiving site, a skydiving enthusiasts site, you will get testimonials about how much fun it is. You will get information about how it is more safe than people may think, and it needs to be carefully considered, but can be done thousands of times well and healthfully. You will not get collections of people having accidents.

Same here. For the most part, we have posts about how much fun segways are. We have posts about how well segways have helped people both with mobility, but also with fun and pleasure. All that is good. That is why I think that a collection of fails is out of effective context.

eJM said it directly. Before he bought his segway he saw lots of negative images, and had to decide to buy and try the segway ANYWAY. How many people are going to see all that and decide to do it anyway? I say far less than more.

It would be like a skydiving site selling the concept of skydiving by telling you that many people die, but you might not, so come and join us. That just does not make sense to me.

If I were that poster who bought his segway for himself, and his bride, and she knew nothing about it, wouldn't it be nice to have a site to bring her to that has positive images of segways? If he brought his bride to this site, and her first experience with images of this segway she knows nothing about was that video, would it be better or worse for her segway buying hubby?

I suspect that it would put him in the doghouse more than not.

There are lots of other places to go to see people trash and lie about segways. I prefer not here.

But don't get me wrong. I NEVER said it should not be here. All I said is that I do not appreciate it. This goes into the range of tolerating it is the same as endorsing it, in my mind. It is the same as when you said it should have subtitles, because it was misleading. For me, it is the same as having a lie on this forum go unchallenged. Many turn the other cheek, or ignore the lie. I choose to refute it. That is all.

I feel most of us generally agree that it is not representative of most segway experiences. Our difference is in how we deal with that.

jgbackes
01-29-2013, 01:23 AM
My goodness, isn't there anyone that can close threads around here?

bob yarbrough
01-29-2013, 07:31 AM
You missed my point.

You did think of a pink elephant. You did think of a red and white zebra. Neither exist for real, yet you had those images in your head.

My point however, is that you did not even consider a grey elephant, did you? (Be honest)

That is my point. And, even if you did think of a proper elephant or zebra, these are very common images we can all come up with.

The general public however, has very little exposure to actual segways in the wild, we talk about that all the time. They have very little exposure to segways doing the right thing. (The grey elephant)

Because of all this, the only image that is quick to come to mind, are the video images that are offered up time and time again, like the ones offered in the discussed video.

That was my point.

If you only offer negative images, and do not offer nearly as many positive images, the minimally educated (on this topic) public will pull the images they have seen. Even if we depend on people who know very little about segway to determine in a vacuum that almost all the images they have seen about segways as not representative as to how segways act, it is a dicey proposition.

I know what I am speaking about. I taught skydiving for a dozen years. The segway is not the only thing on the planet that has people who have never experienced it making constant decisions about it. Who do you think could make a better assessment about anything, a person who has done it, or a person who has not?

I do not know if you have ever jumped from a plane, but I am sure you have heard many people who never have tell you all about it, how dangerous, and silly or negative it is. They ignore the fact that statistically, the argument could be made that it is more dangerous to drive to the airport than it is to jump from the plane.

Segways are not different. If we present only negative images, we will get negative impressions...

Maybe I should explain myself differently...

If you go to a skydiving site, a skydiving enthusiasts site, you will get testimonials about how much fun it is. You will get information about how it is more safe than people may think, and it needs to be carefully considered, but can be done thousands of times well and healthfully. You will not get collections of people having accidents.

Same here. For the most part, we have posts about how much fun segways are. We have posts about how well segways have helped people both with mobility, but also with fun and pleasure. All that is good. That is why I think that a collection of fails is out of effective context.

eJM said it directly. Before he bought his segway he saw lots of negative images, and had to decide to buy and try the segway ANYWAY. How many people are going to see all that and decide to do it anyway? I say far less than more.

It would be like a skydiving site selling the concept of skydiving by telling you that many people die, but you might not, so come and join us. That just does not make sense to me.

If I were that poster who bought his segway for himself, and his bride, and she knew nothing about it, wouldn't it be nice to have a site to bring her to that has positive images of segways? If he brought his bride to this site, and her first experience with images of this segway she knows nothing about was that video, would it be better or worse for her segway buying hubby?

I suspect that it would put him in the doghouse more than not.

There are lots of other places to go to see people trash and lie about segways. I prefer not here.

But don't get me wrong. I NEVER said it should not be here. All I said is that I do not appreciate it. This goes into the range of tolerating it is the same as endorsing it, in my mind. It is the same as when you said it should have subtitles, because it was misleading. For me, it is the same as having a lie on this forum go unchallenged. Many turn the other cheek, or ignore the lie. I choose to refute it. That is all.

I feel most of us generally agree that it is not representative of most segway experiences. Our difference is in how we deal with that.

You,...you're talking about missig "my point"

Are you trying to change/improve the perception of every person/idiot on this planet or just those in this forum?

GOOD LUCK or maybe it's just GOOD GRIEF!!!

be safe
enjoy your glide

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

KSagal
01-29-2013, 08:56 AM
You,...you're talking about missig "my point"

Are you trying to change/improve the perception of every person/idiot on this planet or just those in this forum?

GOOD LUCK or maybe it's just GOOD GRIEF!!!

be safe
enjoy your glide

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

Bob,

You are right, I am trying to change the perception of too many, but that is my choice. I'll settle for every person/idiot in the United States to start with.

And as you and others have said, I am bucking a big tide.

I do not take this as serious as it may seem when I am trying to explain myself, but I was trying to express my point.

Thanks for bringing the video to this forum, as several have enjoyed it.

MTOBATTERY
01-29-2013, 10:24 AM
my Goodness, Isn't There Anyone That Can Close Threads Around Here?

Agreed!!!!!

gbrandwood
01-29-2013, 04:05 PM
My goodness, isn't there anyone that can close threads around here?
Agreed!!!!!
I would agree that certain parts of this thread could do with being removed but why close off the whole thread?
You missed my point.

Maybe I did. But it doesn't mean I would agree with it when I found it.

I just think that it is not as simple as you make out. You appear to be assuming that people will make the leap that you describe. Some might, some might not. For marketing to be effective you are normally bombarded with a message, carefully and cleverly designed to appear to certain needs, fears or emotions. These random fail videos, no matter what the subject, do not make me think the devices are not safe. I think there are risks associated with them - and being stupid on them or obviously not using them correctly increases those risks. But I can't see a carefully planned strategy of anti-Segway marketing material in these videos. Or, to be more precise, no more a coordinated attack on Segways than any other time of subject matter covered in other fail videos.

This is a Segway forum for enthusiasts and interested people. I don't want there to be lots of negativity about Segways in the forums but I expect a little reality. Some good aspects, some bad aspects - some funny and creative aspects. We can't pretend or shy away from the fact that sometimes riders will get it wrong and fall. We are not selling Segways here. We are talking about everything Segway related. Should we hide their weaknesses or rather discuss them and come up with ways to get around them - or, in the case of Segway fails, suggest ways to avoid Segway fails? You say you like to refute "lies" so why would you not want them listed here so you can confront them?

You've made it clear you do not appreciate the video being here. Personally, as a Segway fan, I did enjoy seeing the video. I got a few laughs out of it. Most of which I'd seen before. This forum should contain EVERYTHING about Segways, the good and the bad and the funny.

And do you know what people used to say to me about Segways, when I used to do my Segway tours? They used to ask whether it was possible to fall off them! I made it very clear that indeed it is very possible to fall off them - but the chances are they won't if they listen to what I would tell them. A bit of reality did them good.

KSagal
01-29-2013, 06:32 PM
You've made it clear you do not appreciate the video being here. Personally, as a Segway fan, I did enjoy seeing the video. I got a few laughs out of it. Most of which I'd seen before. This forum should contain EVERYTHING about Segways, the good and the bad and the funny.

I find this interesting. I use lots of words, but probably too many.

In posts #3 and #6 I specifically said I was not against having the video here, but that I did not like it.

In post # 5, you quoted me saying that I did not have a problem with it being here, and that I did not like it.

You said I did not need to like it, which is true.

In posts 13, 15, 25, I did not mention having the video here at all, but generally spoke to filling the public's memory with negative images, instead of positive ones.

In post 28, I actually thanked Bob for posting the video, saying that while I did not like it, several others did.

Now you say I have made it clear I do not think it should be here. You go on to say that it should be here, and that way I can refute it if I like.

I have to ask, what do you think I have been trying to do? I have been trying to say that I feel this is a bad thing. Not trying to say it is a thing we should avoid, or hide from, or not acknowledge, but that it is a bad thing, and bad for the betterment of our community.

One of the first things I said about this was it would have to reside in the "to each their own" view. I maintain that is how I still feel.

gbrandwood
01-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Sorry if you misunderstood, Karl. My last post was posted somewhat quickly. I got the distinct impression that you personally did not appreciate these types of videos on SegwayChat. You are not saying what should or should not be posted, just that you do not personally like seeing videos like this. Did I get that wrong? That was the one thing I thought I was clear on. Oh well.

KSagal
01-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Sorry if you misunderstood, Karl. My last post was posted somewhat quickly. I got the distinct impression that you personally did not appreciate these types of videos on SegwayChat. You are not saying what should or should not be posted, just that you do not personally like seeing videos like this. Did I get that wrong? That was the one thing I thought I was clear on. Oh well.

If I like them or not, I think we (I) have beaten this topic to death. (that might make a fun video for some :rolleyes:)

Let's just let this one die on the vine.

Gihgehls
01-30-2013, 03:42 AM
This appeared on You Tube today. Thought you all might enjoy. There is one fail clip in the compilation that (in my humble opinion), was performed on purpose. Since it is just my opinion I'm not gonna say which one it is, of course one could argue that because of stupidity or carelessness they are all done on purpose <grin>.

Ultimate Segway fails compilation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8oKJbU5MCQ

be safe
enjoy your glide

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

Thanks for posting this!

Things I liked about this video:
Silly people falling in comical ways
Nobody appeared to be seriously injured.

Things I didn't like about the video:
The comments.

Thanks again!

kendall69
03-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Kendall, first of all you are so rude, secondly I will make you a question: do you have a Segway?
Have you ever rode a Segway for more than 10 minutes of demonstration or 1-2 hours of Segway Tour?
I suppose not and if you have a Segway, you are probably not able to use it properly.

All riders in that video were absolutely beginners and this is a fact.
With over 4000km riding experience, I fell just one time (excluding first tests), when a driver that decided to park his car on the bicycle path, also decided to go back quickly without checking on the rear-view mirror and it crashed directly on me, that was braking (I have to thank to Segway's crash test's department).
Instead, in 6 years of using my i2, I can't calculate how much dangerous situations I escaped from with emergency braking (also when it's raining or snowing) without falling or lay one of my feet on the floor.

So, please, don't talk about things that you don't know perfectly and don't be rude.

Let's take you ignorance one point at a time, and remember this YOU STARTED IT.

You call it rude I call it defending myself from self proclaimed experts like you that resort to personal attacks. When you "doubt" someone you are calling them a LIAR - F.Y.I. Second when you interpret incorrect facts as truth, by design you look like a fool by bloviating.

I only reciprocate in kind when ignorant bully's like you and the other loud moth here project your insecurities on others. So if you feel better calling it RUDE, that's fine because being a narcissist I would expect as much.

I own THREE Segways, and ride often. You want the serial number, then put up or shut up. I'll prove I have three segways if you put up your Segway as collateral if I Win? YA just as I thought, Big man on campus is SPEECHLESS.

Some of your comments are so childish I won't even give them the credibility to answer them. Besides the next person in line needs to place an order so straiten your hat and ask them what they want on their burger.

I love your ignorant rant about ALL RIDERS. Do a two second search on the web and you will see TRAILED POLICE OFFICERS falling down. What's that I hear now coming from you - cricket sounds. Now I'll take YOUR ORDER, do you want ice cream with your crow pie, for making ludicrous unfounded and false statements?

Come on lets besmirch a TRAINED POLICE OFFICER and tell me how it's HIS FAULT, and not the poor design of a two wheeled vehicle. OH what is that all over your face EGG?

Lastly, to prove I am 100% correct on the TWO WHEELED Segway being dangerous, SEGWAY is now designing a THREE WHEELED SEGWAY.

Oh and for all the big mouths here that DOUBTED a salesperson told me something NEW was coming from SEGWAY - Put this in your pipe and smoke it.

So that would be CHECK & MATE.

http://www.segway.com/downloads/pdfs/News-Release-SEGWAY_ANNOUNCES_THREE_WHEELED_PRODUCT_3_6_2013.pd f

Tritium
09-13-2013, 09:18 PM
The problem with these riders are, they just don't pay e bought attention.

Because of the Segways magicality, some people don't realise that you still have to watch out for obstacles, however I also observed people falling off from turns and bumps that wouldn't seem to be possible.

I don't think the videos hurt Segways much.

KSagal
09-13-2013, 10:18 PM
The problem with these riders are, they just don't pay e bought attention.

Because of the Segways magicality, some people don't realise that you still have to watch out for obstacles, however I also observed people falling off from turns and bumps that wouldn't seem to be possible.

I do not agree, I think that most people see very little from segways when they are done well, so the positive images of segways is not very popular, or seen much at all.

These segway fail videos are fun and all, but with a vacuum of positive images, and a glut of negative images, they give the segway ignorant public a very inaccurate impression of how dangerous segways are.

Still, I do not think it is a major issue at all.

Tritium
09-13-2013, 10:20 PM
I do not agree, I think that most people see very little from segways when they are done well, so the positive images of segways is not very popular, or seen much at all.

These segway fail videos are fun and all, but with a vacuum of positive images, and a glut of negative images, they give the segway ignorant public a very inaccurate impression of how dangerous segways are.

I really wasn't talking about the video, I was talking about why these people are probably falling so easily.

KSagal
09-13-2013, 11:12 PM

I really wasn't talking about the video,...

Some days are easier to understand this forum than others...

Tritium
09-13-2013, 11:14 PM
Some days are easier to understand this forum than others...

I meant the whole, the end is null at this point.

gbrandwood
09-15-2013, 06:03 AM

Youtube is full of people sharing things that are out of the ordinary. It is the wacky, funny, clever, unusual, unbelievable, scary etc. that get the big hits. If the Segway contingent of videos was full of people riding Segways really well, no one would watch. If no one watches, no one posts them. Youtube favours the "fail and win" type videos because they are out of the ordinary and popular and so you are more likely to see them. I maintain that seeing people do stupid things on anything on youtube does not make a normal person think "gee, those things are really unsafe"... whether it be Segway, motorcycle, BMX, trampolining.

And I recall the biggest impression most people had when I was doing my tours was that people thought you couldn't fall off them. That is a worse state of mind to have than thinking there might be some risks involved here.

Rolacoy
09-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Having the video on here probably makes no difference to people who have used a Segway for any period of time or those who haven't, after reading the positive comments. And yes I am no longer a Segway owner, sadly I say.

However, I would say that 90% of the people who discussed gliding on a Segway with me had the fear of falling. Most of them were retired people. When you find yourself in your late 60's, or older, falling is a big deal. I always explained to them that the Segway helped keep me from falling. A Segway is much more agile then me. I did fall once, my fault, I took it down in a ditch where it should never have been.

Seeing crash pictures does not help the Segway image, but we live in a video world.

jgbackes
09-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Perhaps a little context will help… 50,000 segways on the road. 1 hr per month usage. 10 years on the market (assuming linear growth) if my math is right that's 3,000,000 hours of Segway usage… If that's all the fail videos out there it's a pretty small percentage of total usage time.

Segway fails are popular because really everyone wants a Segway and just doesn't have the disposable cash to purchase one ;)

LET THE FLAMES BEGIN!!

KSagal
09-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Perhaps a little context will help… 50,000 segways on the road. 1 hr per month usage. 10 years on the market (assuming linear growth) if my math is right that's 3,000,000 hours of Segway usage… If that's all the fail videos out there it's a pretty small percentage of total usage time.

Segway fails are popular because really everyone wants a Segway and just doesn't have the disposable cash to purchase one ;)

LET THE FLAMES BEGIN!!

You do bring up a good point. I have railed against these videos as presenting the segway in a negative light because of the absence of a positive light.

Considering your numbers, 3 mil hours of use will have to be seen by someone.

Also, in the past few years, I regularly get approached by neighbors and acquaintances who say they tried a segway on vacation here or there. That was something that just did not happen 6 or 8 years ago.

So, I for one, will lighten up a little on my statements of how this is a site that should encourage positive segway use, and not a good place to make fun of segways, the way that these videos do.

Lily Kerns
09-17-2013, 12:23 PM
You do bring up a good point. I have railed against these videos as presenting the segway in a negative light because of the absence of a positive light.

Considering your numbers, 3 mil hours of use will have to be seen by someone.

Also, in the past few years, I regularly get approached by neighbors and acquaintances who say they tried a segway on vacation here or there. That was something that just did not happen 6 or 8 years ago.

So, I for one, will lighten up a little on my statements of how this is a site that should encourage positive segway use, and not a good place to make fun of segways, the way that these videos do.

This is one point where I think you are both right <g> and it depends on the viewer. If you know nothing about a Segway, these videos are a definite negative influence. Just read some of the comments posted after web news stories! Ignorance and misinformation are rampant!

On the other hand things have changed. Some of you will recall that I have been battling Missouri's Conservation Department for more than four and a half years. Just this summer they were still requiring disabled Seg users to get a permit (a separate permit, every year for every site in the state) AND requiring that you submit a doctor's prescription along with your application. I also discovered ( via a Sunshine law request and hidden at the very end of the safety rules where you can't see it until your permit is approved) that they have redefined EPAMDs to include motorized scooters and Hoverrounds...all of which officially therefore require permits! GRRR...

Well, Sunday, I was at the area Nature Center and was stopped by a uniformed volunteer official. He said that Segways are not allowed but that there are exceptions... I assured him that I am disabled and that I ride their trails frequently. He said that he had never seen me before (true), thanked me for my patience--- and that was it ! He didn't ask to see proof of disability, a permit was never mentioned. In short he did exactly what the ADA requires.

I'd say the MDC has a problem!
1. They have changed their policy and are refusing to respond to my requests and complaints.
2. They have an intelligent, informed... and highly independent volunteer.
3. They have a misinformed, poorly trained volunteer!

Who knows! But things have definitely changed!

Gihgehls
09-18-2013, 02:27 PM
I feel that after 10 years, the image of the Segway is not going to get any better. What the public thinks they are is not going to be changed by us nor any other responsible users. There are only going to be more balancing machines on the market, not fewer. Things are going to get cheaper and thus more people will have them. The percentage of dumb everywhere will remain the same, but more of them will have access to these machines. Expect the amount of idiocy you encounter to rise.

Additionally, the fact than many people derive enjoyment from seeing dumb people be dumb isn't going to change any time soon. People are recording more often than ever, and as the amount of footage rises, so does the probability of catching someone being stupid. I enjoy a Segway fail video just as much as I enjoy seeing a skateboard fail video, a BMX bike fail video, or a DUI checkpoint refusal video.

Just my two cents. People who don't care about my opinions can skip to the next post.

eJM
09-19-2013, 04:12 AM
I feel that after 10 years, the image of the Segway is not going to get any better. What the public thinks they are is not going to be changed by us nor any other responsible users.
Oh, I don't agree with that at all. I have seen people's perception of the Segway change. And not just in my small community, where I have been the only Seg user for the last 6+ years, but also in metropolitan areas I have frequented. In fact, just recently I had the pleasure of meeting up with another Segger for a glide and we stopped at an ice cream joint. A couple bikers came in and we chatted them up with a few jokes and some small talk. I believe we made a small impression on them as Seg users that was probably not what they expected. And more than once I have been challenged by some authority figure, only to see their demeanor and attitude change in a positive way. I think you may underestimate the power of people to influence and educate. Not everyone has an idea about Segways and its users that is etched in stone.

As for the rest of your post, I think I agree with every bit of it. Very well said. :thumbsup:

Jim

AltRiders
09-13-2018, 01:32 PM
Funny stuff :D

electroshock735
11-16-2018, 03:29 PM
good video but I'm pretty sure that some of these are set ups to generate clicks on YouTube

tomshaw
06-21-2019, 08:28 PM
I just saw the Ultimate Segway fails compilation and it was absolutely hilarious. I too have found myself in these kind of situations so its relatable :D