PDA

View Full Version : No Longer For Sale

wenbias
06-02-2003, 01:18 AM
Am considering selling. I let my 13 year old grandson ride it today and he broke out two front teeth. Freak accident. He was good, he was careful, smooth pavement ...don't know. I love it, but it will never be the same. Want it out of my garage. Show and interest. Make an offer.

johnphipps
06-02-2003, 01:36 AM
Dear Wendell,
Sure wish you had had the wisdom to avoid putting you untrained, 13 year old in harms way by ignoring the accepted Segway user guides - 16 years and up, "professional indoctrinated". And Segwayers are worried about aspiring renters! The child's "freak accident was "you". Good luck with the sale, and good riddance..........

wheels
06-02-2003, 02:49 PM
Wendell;

First, I want to,from my point, apologize for Johnphipps. His post,in my opinion, is insensitive, and judgemental without facts. Anyone can Monday morning quarterback.

I am fully aware of what a grandfather usually thinks of his grandson (even when he is a scrapgrace).

My heart goes out to you. I do wish to offer this consideration.....
Sit down and discuss with your grandson (private, one on one) confidentially, exactly what happened, (by the numbers) in order to learn another lesson of life. He should (with your help) to take responsibility when appropriate.

Ask him for his thoughts as to whether you should sell the HT. What responsibility he had in the mishap.
What he would do different if he could do it over.

The answers he provides could tell you a lot.
Email me privately if you wish.

One way..... SEGWAY ! !

BruceWright
06-02-2003, 07:47 PM
Wenbias,

I concur that johnphipps' post is rude, he's just starting here. I apologize that he wrote that to you.

I'm sorry that happened to your grandson. I'm really quite surprised, since I haven't had any trouble with folks riding my Segway.

Is it possible that you could tell us what happened and how it happened? Your help might save some front teeth for all of us.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

KonaSegway
06-02-2003, 09:25 PM
One guy actually thought my 12.0 front bag was a Segway "Airbag" for if I fell over. Thought about it for a bit .. not a bad idea :-) I don't think it would work though.

Sam

http://www.konasegway.com

johnphipps
06-03-2003, 12:09 AM
For those of you (I think all readers) who think I was wrong to critize winbias for putting his grandson on Segway ... I agrre, I was wrong and I have apologized to winbias via private email....jphipps

JP4Segway

maperrye1989
06-03-2003, 01:19 AM
Hey..johnhipps, im 14 and i rode on glidemasters segway (cause i don't have my own) for alsmost an hour and i never even lost balance, not the slightest bit! So its not how old you are..it depends on if you know what your doing. and i do know that Segway says you should be 16 or older.

M.P.

ElectraGlide
06-03-2003, 01:21 AM
Ouch ouch ouch !!! I imagine how it hurt you to see your grandson get hurt like that . So sorry for him , I hope he's better by now. I had a similar experience having one of my teenagers come running into the house screaming when he fell on the street( not on a Seg ) and broke his two front teeth . It took a lot of consoling , then a trip to the dentist made them look as good as new again . He told me he tripped , but he had his skateboard with him . Seems there's more to his story than I am told....but I dont push for more .It was basically a little carelessness . That was a couple years ago , and maybe for that reason he really doesnt care to ride the Segway as much as my other son wants to ride it. Before you sell , perhaps take a few days to reconsider.........kids will always get hurt....lets hope they learn and keep the damage to themselves to a minimum. Good luck to you both

Steve

johnphipps
06-03-2003, 02:00 AM
[quote]Originally posted by maperrye1989

Hey..johnhipps, im 14 and i rode on glidemasters segway (cause i don't have my own) for alsmost an hour and i never even lost balance, not the slightest bit! So its not how old you are..it depends on if you know what your doing. and i do know that Segway says you should be 16 or older.

M
I agree....jphipps

JP4Segway

wenbias
06-04-2003, 06:42 PM
Thanks to those who commented with sympathy. Mr. Phipps has apoligized which I appreciated. My grandson had been on the Segway several times. In my driveway, down the alley, at a Babe Ruth game. I limited him to the yellow key. His teeth will look fine, but it is a shame to start so young with "false parts" in your body. I know it was an accident and could have happened on his skateboard or bike or whatever, but it didn't, so I have to feel some culpibility. I haven't sold my Segway yet, but it has (temporarily I hope)gone from an object of joy to and evil toy! I too had let anyone of any reasonable age and physical ability ride it with the black key bragging that "if you can walk, you can ride". I won't be doing that anymore. The circumstances of the accident are not exactally known. I was not in the immediate vicinity as he was on the way back from his father's house. It was new sidewalk and he says it fell over frontward. I'm guessing he stopped, coasted backward for a bit and started forward, and somehow twisted the grip and flipped himself frontward. I've done that many times but didn't go down. He must have held fast to the handle bar and took the blow to the concrete with his chin, driving his bottom teeth into the top teeth, back into the gums, breaking them off. I know this is too much information, but others have asked in private e-mails and I sort of need to purge anyway. Thanks for everyones concern and no hard feeling to Mr. Phipps who has actually made some good suggestions in follow up. L8R wen

BruceWright
06-05-2003, 08:49 PM
Wenbias,

When I was a kid, I lost a tooth to a baseball bat (Don't worry, didn't hurt). I don't blame baseball, or my parents for letting me play. I still love baseball.

Just a word of encouragement.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

ElectraGlide
06-05-2003, 09:51 PM
Thanks Wenbias ,
Theres never TOO MUCH information when it comes to safety. And Segways are new to ALL OF US. Even a couple months doesnt make anyone a " pro". There are "those that have and those that will have " accidents , and since we can all learn from others your postings are appreciated and helpful. I took a tumble early on, and I believe it now makes me a safer operator. Your post here will most likely save someone a little pain out there......................

Steve

BerettaIndy
06-06-2003, 01:17 AM
how much are you selling it for

GlideMaster
06-06-2003, 11:46 AM
wenbias I just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear about your grandson and hope the injuries he sustained will heal correctly with no permanent damage.

<center>The GlideMaster</center>

BerettaIndy
06-06-2003, 01:23 PM
how much are you selling to for

mzokc
06-15-2003, 01:09 AM
Wow, I just read this thread for the first time. Scary stuff. I broke three front teeth when hang gliding years ago. They were rebuilt through the years about 4 times with additional repairs (due to improvements to dentistry.) With the recent porcelain veneers, they look better than ever.

While I am concerned, at least I keep the Segway on the ground. No more air time for me (unless skiing on soft snow!)

Mark

segwayowner
06-17-2003, 03:25 PM
i am very sorry that that happened to you and your grandson. i have had 14 year old kids on my segway MANY times without incident. i digresed from what i meant to say... is this about what we can do to avoid this in the future or how to sell the segway?

DES: Segway owner

jimdago
06-22-2003, 07:09 PM
My wife just spent a half day in the ER nursing a badly sprained wrist after catching a tire on a wooden planter in front of a 7-11 store and falling off. Very painful -- but, after a month, fully recovered. She'll tell you it was due to inattention and unfamiliarity with the width of the machine, not the machine's fault. She also is still quite the Segway advocate. My point is, accidents do happen, and sometimes even though they have painful or costly results, the entire purpose of the Segway is still valid. We have liability insurance, but won't make a claim for such a minor incident.

Segchick079
06-29-2003, 04:30 PM
how much are you selling it for??????

sgreene
07-11-2003, 11:15 PM
Hey, Have you sold it at this point? What is your current price? Thanks

Steven Greene
Mobile 917-656-1837

adwarfnamed007
07-13-2003, 04:16 PM
Yeh, wats the condition of it, how old is it and how much? (as youve seen in previous posts)

jdrive
08-10-2003, 12:52 AM
Wow. All of a sudden I feel like maybe I've been a bit crazy letting a 5, 7 and 8 year-old ride it. They are only on the black key, and trained only on grass, but they weigh enough to control it and have become quite good. They always have helmets, but that wouldn't have helped in your grandson's case, I gather.

+++ jdrive +++

mattk
08-10-2003, 08:20 PM
my 13 year old brother has ridden it a bunch of times and never had a problem.

mulner
08-31-2003, 07:50 PM
I am writeing this i guess because i am a little bitter there is one person with more money and time than brains.I have failed back syndrome that has resulted in Arachnoiditis that is scarr tissue that looks like a spyder web that has wrapped itself around my spine and nerve roots and in sevear pain all the time it never stops i take heavy doses of pain killers that brings my pain level to a 7 ten being the worst it can be it is exteramly painfull to walk I will most likely be in a wheel chair in 6 or 7 years I am at my witts end trying to raise money to buy a segway but i guess times are hard for most of us so my thoughts make me sad that people that can afford a segway for a toy that sits and collects dust.In one moment i lost everything i worked for all my life and nobody will help god knows this is the first time i have ever asked for anything.So if someone knows somebody that can help me please contact me.And for anyone that wants to say mean things to me please keep it to yourself i realy cant take any harsh words now I really am standing on the edge of a building and am ready to jump.thanks for reading this.Pete mulner@excite.com

Pete

stuart
09-01-2003, 02:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by mulner

I am writeing this i guess because i am a little bitter there is one person with more money and time than brains.I have failed back syndrome that has resulted in Arachnoiditis that is scarr tissue that looks like a spyder web that has wrapped itself around my spine and nerve roots and in sevear pain all the time it never stops i take heavy doses of pain killers that brings my pain level to a 7 ten being the worst it can be it is exteramly painfull to walk I will most likely be in a wheel chair in 6 or 7 years I am at my witts end trying to raise money to buy a segway but i guess times are hard for most of us so my thoughts make me sad that people that can afford a segway for a toy that sits and collects dust.In one moment i lost everything i worked for all my life and nobody will help god knows this is the first time i have ever asked for anything.So if someone knows somebody that can help me please contact me.And for anyone that wants to say mean things to me please keep it to yourself i realy cant take any harsh words now I really am standing on the edge of a building and am ready to jump.thanks for reading this.Pete mulner@excite.com

Pete

No harsh words Pete. I do feel sympathetic to your cause but I think there are agencies and the like that can help you with your mobility issues. Segways are cool and a lot of fun but they are also expensive (as you know from your post). I personally am not sure this is the place to "appeal" for someone to give you a Segway (This is what you're asking for, right?) With the internet being what it is and the anonymous nature of posting on this site I really think it's better that appeals of this nature are not entertained. I hope I don't come off as being hard-hearted I'm just concerned that no one on here is taken advantage of.

I wish you the best,
Stuart

mulner
09-01-2003, 09:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by stuart

Pete

No harsh words Pete. I do feel sympathetic to your cause but I think there are agencies and the like that can help you with your mobility issues. Segways are cool and a lot of fun but they are also expensive (as you know from your post). I personally am not sure this is the place to "appeal" for someone to give you a Segway (This is what you're asking for, right?) With the internet being what it is and the anonymous nature of posting on this site I really think it's better that appeals of this nature are not entertained. I hope I don't come off as being hard-hearted I'm just concerned that no one on here is taken advantage of.

I wish you the best,
Stuart

Pete

mulner
09-01-2003, 09:44 AM

quote:Originally posted by stuart

Pete

I wish you the best,
Stuart

Pete
Sturat thanks for your reply i thought someone here might know the right people.but your right and thank you. here in michigan there arent any agencys like that.but there was a post here and that person indicated she didnt want hers so i tought she could help me she said she jus wanted it out of her garage "give me a deal" then she shut me down like i was a bum begging for change.sturat she made me me feel bad she might as well knocked my front teeth out to me she isnt a kind woman just as well im over it she knows what she said to me but i will do it.Later Pete

Pete