PDA

View Full Version : Segway Rental Companies

NEVrland
06-01-2003, 11:51 AM
Rentals:

People who have been watching Segway want to have the “Segway Experience”. The best way to expose a large number of people to the Segway is through demos or rentals. Rentals can and will lead into sales through exposure to the public. However, if not done properly rentals could become a major detriment to the Segway and self-balancing technology.

When a rental location opens they are possibly looking for a quick revenue scheme. If proper education about the product and its safe use is not given to the renter, then potential for problems exist. However, if the rental facility uses safe orientation techniques and educates the public about the product then they will have a great experience and will be able to envision how the Segway could be a part of their life.

The product as we all know is not about speed or to see what angles you can launch it off of or sharing it with your friends. The Segway is about transportation; the last mile commute is Dean’s vision. Rentals should be a tool for education, exposure and ultimately sales.

Rentals can be used for independent rentals or guided tours. They can give people a fun and education experience but a lot of due diligence should go into the business by the operator before they begin. We are all “ambassadors” of the Segway product. It is imperative that we make ourselves, as well as the product, successful. Businesses should go through the proper channels, work with city, county and state government officials and become part of the community in which you rent. We need the public and the community to be part of the experience so other areas will welcome the Segway.

Some of the rental locations popping up now will be of the “hit and run” variety. They are out to make a quick dollar without thought to the future of the product or the technology after they create negative media through unsafe education or lack of cooperation with the local community.

This email is not meant to make comparisons; it’s about one-man’s vision and how to make it succeed. I created our Segway rental business at NEVrland to promote the image of the product by allowing people to have a exceptional Segway experience and taking that experience back to their own lives. We are truly dedicated to the future of Segway and our new locations (soon to be franchises throughout Florida, the US and internationally) will provide a consistent, fun, quality experience for everyone.

We all need to do our part to contribute to the continued success of the Segway.

Keith Albrizzi
NEVrland

Keith Albrizzi NEVrland, Inc. Relay Transportation 407-566-0911 Segway Service, Sales and Rentals

maperrye1989
06-01-2003, 12:16 PM
Do you know how long till they come to chicago?

M.P.

GlideMaster
06-01-2003, 12:31 PM
<center>Not long!</center>

<center>The GlideMaster</center>
<center>http://www.geocities.co.jp/Athlete/1267/gif/segway.gif</center>
<center>If You’re Not Graceful In Your Glide, You Must Just Be Out For A Ride. </center>
<center>Looking To Provide A Glide To And For The Rest Of The World</center>
<center>Glide On</center>

quote:Originally posted by maperrye1989

M.P.

Brooster
06-01-2003, 01:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by maperrye1989

After the unfortunate happenings in Seattle, I'm kind of afraid to even think about it. Just a few poorly trained, irresponsible renters on the lakefront, and the Chicago Park District could shut us all out. I'd be one bummed Brooster. The lakefront is where I do 75-80% of my riding. I can't say I'm the least bit supportive of rentals after what we've seen in the past week.

I really do fear that it'll be the undoing of everything we've worked so hard to promote. I hope I'm wrong.

Edit: I've really sort of held back on commenting about this issue. This is how I feel today ... my feelings aren't necessarily cast in stone forever. I hope that Keith and Larry really are going to set the standard for safety and responsibility. If they're successful in somehow passing the "ambassador" torch to their renters, more power to them. Time will tell the tale. Show me I'm wrong, guys. I'd love it.

BruceWright
06-01-2003, 01:52 PM
Keith,

Do you think that perhaps the Rental business should have been the FIRST business that Segway got into? That way they could make sure that only approved Segway companies had access to Segways for rental? Segways could have been rolled out, in the public eye, safely and with the proper controls.

Monday-morning quarterbacking, I know.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

mzokc
06-01-2003, 02:23 PM
Since mall glides and rentals are desired by the masses, combine them.

Disney should change "The Disney Store" to "Innoventions" and provide Segway style training for rental in the mall or other limited rental area, then SELL the Segway right on the spot.

I am serious. The Disney Company has the quality and reputation for safe theme park attractions. The visitors to the parks and cruise ship have been seeing/riding the Segway for over a year. It's a perfect use for most of those stores that need to be changed.

Mark

GyroGo
06-01-2003, 03:11 PM
This has been a tough week of negative publicity for the rental market, but should not be prognosticator of the future of rentals. I think for the most part we are seeing people with good intentions who are still figuring things out in uncharted territory; there will be bumps in the glide. There may be a couple of bad apples, as in any business, but that should not spoil it for everybody.

Rental is not just about recreation; it as an important part of the “last mile” transportation solution. And there is nothing wrong with recreational use either.

Frankly, I’m getting a little tired of the owner bigotry and the transportation bigotry. I fail to see where owners have greater inherent rights to the use and enjoyment of Segways than renters, and one using it for transportation is better than one using it for recreation. Recreation is also an important part of life. Sure, in a societal sense, transportation is the nobler cause, but I don’t see that transferring to the individual’s rights.

While I recognize the concept that a renter theoretically may carry a very slightly higher accident risk, I firmly believe the difference will prove to be nominal and not a real issue. Many people are overstating the risk and describe a reckless disposition of renters.

I give renters credit for being responsible adults, and we have NO data trend to suggest otherwise. Adults understand they need to be careful, especially when they leave a drivers license, a credit card deposit, and they sign an agreement acknowledging their understanding of liability. I have yet to hear of one single incident (not that it will never happen) where a anyone was hurt, anything damaged, or anyone endangered by the specific action of a renter.

A few times I have heard the charge that renters sign a liability waiver as some sort of negative thing. Don’t you think this will cause them to be MORE careful? The rental company STILL NEEDS TO BE INSURED, and then an incident would not only be more likely avoided, but backed by more than one party. Liability waivers are good for rental, not bad.

Safety should be of paramount importance in renting and using Segways. Adequate training is a necessary component of both running a rental business and of using a Segway.

Segway to the future ...

. . SegCenter.com (www.SegCenter.com) . .
StirlingInfo (www.StirlingInfo.com) StirlingChat (www.StirlingChat.com)

ftropea
06-01-2003, 03:26 PM
I think Gary just hit the nail on the head...

He wrote, "While I recognize the concept that a renter theoretically may be carry slightly higher accident risk, I firmly believe the difference will prove to be nominal and not a real issue. Many people are overstating the risk and describe a reckless disposition of renters."

If there are more renters per day than Segway HT owners in total, and the accident/incident rate among renters is higher than owners, then the public perception will be that Segway HTs are more dangerous than they actually are - hence the bans that we've seen.

Could it get worse?

(You don't have to answer that.. I know it can get worse. Yes, this has been a bad week.)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

[/sc] Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me (segwaychat@segwaychat.com)

clm
06-01-2003, 04:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by GyroGo

... Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of the owner bigotry and the transportation bigotry. ...

Hear, hear. If your a student of influence and the methods of advocacy groups, this is becoming an ideal case study. There is a saying around, "The pot calling the kettle black".

I see the disability groups working to ban Segways, which should occur in my town on June 17th, just two weeks from now. I see Segway owners working just as hard to ban rentals.

It is all about "turf".

My observation: People fear what they can't control, and ban what they don't care to keep for themselves.

This is why our forefathers wrote a love of "freedom" into the Bill of Rights. There are few true champions for real freedom. We are discussing on this board the elimination of the freedom of movement, one of the most basic of rights.

Think about it people! Think what kind of a world do you really want?

Chris

pt
06-01-2003, 04:48 PM
clm-

no one is working to ban rentals, you're making a huge assumption and trying to confuse the issue(s).

it is not about turf, it's discussing what is safe, what is not and what we can do.

we all wrote emails and printed letters to your city, i'm fighting for you, we're fighting for you and each other.

gary (gyro) does not own a segway, he has never rented a segway and runs a segway site that features rentals. he has his point of view, other people have theirs.

welcome to an open forum of ideas.

we all want the ht to be allowed, some rental places are caused bans, just like your city. we're trying to figure it all out.

our founding fathers killed people when the english put a tax on their breakfast beverage! it wasn't even coffee :-]

so i think everyone needs to chill out a bit and look at the big picture.

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:
http://www.bookofseg.com

other stuff:
http://www.flashenabled.com

vpv
06-01-2003, 06:28 PM
Keith:

You've said it correctly. "The Segway is about transportation; the last mile commute is Dean’s vision" -- this is the BIG PICTURE.

It's unfortunate that some Segway owners (especially some in this forum) don't see this vision and are going around in circles tryin to figure out what should be done or doing it the wrong way. And they think the rental aspect of this model is a threat.

Segway is here to stay and will be used in a manner that fulfil's Dean's vision, whether acquired or purchased is just a means to the end.

clm
06-01-2003, 06:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by pt

clm - no one is working to ban rentals, you're making a huge assumption and trying to confuse the issue(s).

Hmmm, somehow I am in both violent agreement and disagreement with your reply. I bet someone out there, perhaps not you, would vote to ban rentals if they could. I do think it is about "turf" and I think I could convince you to agree with me in a more protracted discussion, and I am not trying to confuse issues (least I think not), but to help frame them.

quote:We all wrote emails and printed letters to your city, i'm fighting for you, we're fighting for you and each other.

Let me use this as an opportunity to give to each who did a huge THANK YOU from Segboy, myself (the two active Sacramento based owners), and all future Sacramento Segway owners..

Chris

GyroGo
06-01-2003, 06:41 PM

clm-

gary (gyro) does not own a segway, he has never rented a segway and runs a segway site that features rentals. he has his point of view, other people have theirs.

I hope to own one or more soon, sorry if it offends you that I could not afford one sooner. What have I said that is in error that would be corrected by having paid for one? I have ridden a Segway, and as an avid follower of the IT/Ginger/Segway since January 2001, I probably know more about Segways (at least from a business perspective) than most owners.

Anyway, I don't see how owning a Segway would change my appreciation for safe and responsible renting and use, adequate training, owners and renters having the same rights to use and enjoy Segs, that the Segway is a serious transportation solution as well as a recreational device, and that both transportation and recreational uses are both important.

pt
06-01-2003, 06:47 PM
gary-

you have a different point of a view and valid one, that was my only point.

please do not rope other points in with that.

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:

other stuff:

GyroGo
06-02-2003, 10:52 AM

gary-

you have a different point of a view and valid one, that was my only point.

please do not rope other points in with that.

pt,

If that was your only point, then that is all you should have said. YOU are the one who "roped in other points" by inferring that my opinion is some how tarnished because I do not (today) own a Segway and I have a website. I countered that I do not understand how the points that you roped in adversely influence my position of freedom and equality of all Segway users, training, and absolutely safe and responsible use.

pt
06-02-2003, 11:02 AM
gary-

read my entire post or even parts of it. you opinion -is very valued- because you have another point of view than mine and someone else with a segway, most of all you have a rental destination web site and have a couple of the rental places (jack for example) listed, so you of all folks have a -very very valued opinion, view, etc..-

&gt;&gt;gary (gyro) does not own a segway, he has never rented a segway and runs a segway site that features rentals. he has his point of view, other people have theirs.
&gt;&gt;welcome to an open forum of ideas.

folks, we need to look at solutions (working with rental places, segway, etc..) as opposed to picking on each other.

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:

other stuff:

Brooster
06-02-2003, 11:59 AM
I think that if anybody out there truly respects our concerns about rentals, it's probably Gary. Hey, he got his initial HT experience from the Brooster!

[:P][8]

Brooster

GyroGo
06-02-2003, 12:27 PM

gary-
folks, we need to look at solutions (working with rental places, segway, etc..) as opposed to picking on each other.

This is certainly something we do agree on, pt. [^]

*** Officially Demo'd by Brooster ***

everkool
07-27-2003, 02:46 PM
Segway is a disorganized company that missed the whole market. Lets face it it was a fad, and has a few brief months left. To those who wish to become renters think about it with the law suits piercing your corporate shell, the spare parts that you will fight with daily to get from segway or be forced to work with one of their so called rental agents,,, go to ebay buy 6 of them get sued and enjoy your ice cream cone for a day if you can.

quote:Originally posted by NEVrland

Rentals:

People who have been watching Segway want to have the “Segway Experience”. The best way to expose a large number of people to the Segway is through demos or rentals. Rentals can and will lead into sales through exposure to the public. However, if not done properly rentals could become a major detriment to the Segway and self-balancing technology.

When a rental location opens they are possibly looking for a quick revenue scheme. If proper education about the product and its safe use is not given to the renter, then potential for problems exist. However, if the rental facility uses safe orientation techniques and educates the public about the product then they will have a great experience and will be able to envision how the Segway could be a part of their life.

The product as we all know is not about speed or to see what angles you can launch it off of or sharing it with your friends. The Segway is about transportation; the last mile commute is Dean’s vision. Rentals should be a tool for education, exposure and ultimately sales.

Rentals can be used for independent rentals or guided tours. They can give people a fun and education experience but a lot of due diligence should go into the business by the operator before they begin. We are all “ambassadors” of the Segway product. It is imperative that we make ourselves, as well as the product, successful. Businesses should go through the proper channels, work with city, county and state government officials and become part of the community in which you rent. We need the public and the community to be part of the experience so other areas will welcome the Segway.

Some of the rental locations popping up now will be of the “hit and run” variety. They are out to make a quick dollar without thought to the future of the product or the technology after they create negative media through unsafe education or lack of cooperation with the local community.

This email is not meant to make comparisons; it’s about one-man’s vision and how to make it succeed. I created our Segway rental business at NEVrland to promote the image of the product by allowing people to have a exceptional Segway experience and taking that experience back to their own lives. We are truly dedicated to the future of Segway and our new locations (soon to be franchises throughout Florida, the US and internationally) will provide a consistent, fun, quality experience for everyone.

We all need to do our part to contribute to the continued success of the Segway.

Keith Albrizzi
NEVrland

Keith Albrizzi NEVrland, Inc. Relay Transportation 407-566-0911 Segway Service, Sales and Rentals

opti6600
07-27-2003, 03:07 PM
Everkool, don't quote an entire bloody post, please. Who's getting sued is my question. Last time I checked, all Segway-authorized rental companies and locations worked in synch with LLC. What on earth are you talking about with this spare parts rant? I've never had a single problem when it came time to replace something, and I haven't had to replace anything since then. Last time I checked, nobody else has had a problem either. In fact, Segway LLC's and all of the authorized third parties, especially NEVrland, whose head you just quoted to flame, have GLEAMING support and help.

Learn something, then flame. Thanks,
Jordan

---------
Let's just take the safety labels off of everything and let America's problem sort itself out.

KonaSegway
07-27-2003, 07:02 PM
everkool .. I'm guessing you started a rental business and got sued by segway ?
Post doesn't make much sense .. more details please :-)

http://www.konasegway.com

LarryL
07-28-2003, 01:55 PM
everkool:
I agree with the other posts... I have no idea what you are ranting about. We've rented to thousands now and have not had a suite or problem. We have very happy renters who continually come back to rent. Our business is growing over 60% a month in a small community of Spokane. We are working on many more locations for rentals and see it continuing to grow.

You have now made a couple posts that make no sense and you rant and rave in each about the rental market falling apart and Segway not being able to take care of people. I would love to know where you are coming from on this rather than just listening to you go on and not know why.

Larry

mjeaslick
07-29-2003, 11:41 PM
Just ignore the 14 year old.. They are on every forum.

BruceWright
07-31-2003, 06:34 PM
Babbling idiot.

Blah blah, ice cream... blah blah communists .. fad.. BELCH...

Either make sense or stop trolling, everkool.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream