PDA

View Full Version : training sessions--can I sign a waiver?

Lazarus
11-19-2002, 01:27 PM
How absolutle/serious is going to the training session? Any way to get around it?

Is there a possibility that one can 'flunk the session' and be denied the Segway?

Thanks in advance

ftropea
11-19-2002, 01:41 PM
I think they're pretty serious about it. From their terms and conditions:

"Purchaser must contact Segway LLC, in advance, to arrange attendance at one of these Training sessions. Segway LLC will not ship Product to Purchaser until Purchaser or Purchaser's Designee completes attendance at a Training session. If Purchaser or Purchaser's Designee has not attended Training as of the date Segway LLC is prepared to ship Product to Purchaser, Segway LLC shall (by email to the email address provided by Purchaser to Amazon.com at the time the order is placed) send Purchaser a second notice with a second schedule of Training sessions to be held in the succeeding thirty days. Purchaser must contact Segway LLC, in advance, to arrange attendance at one of these Training sessions. If Purchaser or Purchaser's Designee fails to attend a Training session on or before the date payment is finally due under section 4, above, Purchaser shall be in default hereunder, whereupon Purchaser forfeits all rights under the order, and Segway LLC shall retain the Deposit as liquidated damages."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/412888/002-8197619-7408806

So you would lose your deposit... and that probably means no Segway too...

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Lazarus
11-19-2002, 01:53 PM
OK--thanks, Frank, I had read the agreement. I just hoped it was for liability reasons which is why I had hoped one could sign a waiver for the training--absolving the company of any liability...

Also, do you know about training if the purchaser has a physical disability. I read somewhere that it might aid people with Parkinsons as long as one could step onto the Segway and step down as well as control the handlebar controls with left hand...(I realize it is not being sold/touted as a medical devce.

ftropea
11-19-2002, 02:01 PM
Well, according to those same conditions I linked to...

"The rider must be able to step on and off the Product, which requires physical abilities similar to climbing and descending stairs without assistance. The rider's weight must not exceed 250 pounds. The rider must be able to operate the steering control with the left hand."

And I didn't see any other mention... so as long as you qualify as per the above, you should be golden.

However, I'm not an attorney. I'm just giving you my best interpretation...

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Blinky
11-20-2002, 10:18 AM
Lazarus writes,
quote:How absolutle/serious is going to the training session? Any way to get around it?

Is there a possibility that one can 'flunk the session' and be denied the Segway?

Thanks in advance
I don't think anyone will fail this Segway training test. Mandatory or not. Not because the company won't like to see anybody fail, from what it sounds I don't think anybody will botch this session up it doesn't sound that hard to ride a Segway at all. Especially if the class is 4hrs long, and it only takes '15min' to learn how to ride it.

GlideMaster
11-20-2002, 11:36 AM
Quote:
"Especially if the class is 4hrs long, and it only takes '15min' to learn how to ride it."

Blinky it's more like 15 seconds to learn to stand on the Segway. All you have to remember is you don't balance "it", "it" balances you.

<center>REMEMBER:
Responsible Riders Ride Segway
and
Segway Riders Ride Responsibly </center>