PDA

View Full Version : Someone 'splain this

Podkletnov
11-19-2002, 12:01 AM
From the Amazon ad:

Our engineers were so obsessed with the details on the Segway HT that they designed the meshes in the gearbox to produce sound exactly two musical octaves apart--when the Segway HT moves, it makes music, not noise.

Anyone know what this sounds like? Any of you who rode it? What does it sound like?

ftropea
11-19-2002, 12:07 AM
Hmm.. missed that. OK, I have some video of me on a Segway-HT.. I'll pull an audio clip out... be back in jiff!

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

ftropea
11-19-2002, 12:09 AM
Whoops... left it at work!

OK, it's going to have to wait 'till tomorrow :(

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

BBBix
11-19-2002, 12:11 AM
Well, whe I rode, I didn't hear anything.....it was so quiet. It is an amazing machine.

Bill B.

ftropea
11-19-2002, 12:20 AM
The motors do make a humming sound.. it's very low and almost imperceptible. I rode the Segway-HT and held a camera low to the ground - right next to the wheels.. This made for a "bird's eye" view shot for what it looks like from the perspective of the wheel's hub :)

I was going to post the video at some point.. when I had time.. and do apologize for not having it handy so you could hear that motor sound the engineers were talking about.

Tomorrow!

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

GlideMaster
11-19-2002, 02:35 AM
Hi Podkletnov,
I've ridden 55 hours and I've never heard a sound. If you know of one that makes a noise loud enough to hear it may need to be repaired. By the way who are "our engineers?" Is this reverse engineering?

quote:Originally posted by Podkletnov

From the Amazon ad:

Our engineers were so obsessed with the details on the Segway HT that they designed the meshes in the gearbox to produce sound exactly two musical octaves apart--when the Segway HT moves, it makes music, not noise.

Anyone know what this sounds like? Any of you who rode it? What does it sound like?

JohnG
11-19-2002, 09:00 PM
I think it meant the Segway engineers... Yes, the gearboxes do make a sound, but it may be mistaken for the motors or something else while riding. But that low hum you hear are the gearboxes, not the motors.

ftropea
11-19-2002, 09:43 PM
Yeah.. that's right, the gear boxes make the sound - sorry! :P

Well, I brought the tape home and will go capture a sound clip for you to hear. Check back a little later. I'll post a link in this thread.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Blinky
11-20-2002, 10:03 AM
Podkletnov writes,
quote:Our engineers were so obsessed with the details on the Segway HT that they designed the meshes in the gearbox to produce sound exactly two musical octaves apart--when the Segway HT moves, it makes music, not noise.
As long as the gear boxes are not playing any songs such as ones from 'Back Street Boys" Segway riders should be alright.

Blinky
11-20-2002, 10:05 AM
Ftropea writes,
quote:Well, I brought the tape home and will go capture a sound clip for you to hear. Check back a little later. I'll post a link in this thread.
Looking forward to hearing it! You can sort of hear it from other video clips, but it would be great to hear yours especially if its mostly all Segway and no background noise.

GlideMaster
11-20-2002, 10:23 AM
I guess riding in the City it's too loud outdoors to hear something as quiet as the Segway. But when I ride inside I don't really hear any noise either; except sometimes on real smooth cement floors and these real shiny waxed floors I hear the Mitches squeal.

<center>REMEMBER:
Responsible Riders Ride Segway
and
Segway Riders Ride Responsibly </center>

quote:Originally posted by jgrohol

I think it meant the Segway engineers... Yes, the gearboxes do make a sound, but it may be mistaken for the motors or something else while riding. But that low hum you hear are the gearboxes, not the motors.