PDA

View Full Version : Essay Contest

JohnM
11-18-2002, 02:30 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/413289/103-7526249-6324604

The folks placing their orders now get to enter the contest for early delivery. Anyone want to offer help in composing a sure-fire winning essay, 75 words or less, "What I like most about the Segway HT" ?

My motive is to put some lucky(?) forum member thru the agony of a December visit to Manchester. ;)

Runnin' with the Big Dogs

Seeker
11-18-2002, 03:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by JohnM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/413289/103-7526249-6324604

The folks placing their orders now get to enter the contest for early delivery. Anyone want to offer help in composing a sure-fire winning essay, 75 words or less, "What I like most about the Segway HT" ?

My motive is to put some lucky(?) forum member thru the agony of a December visit to Manchester. ;)

Cool idea, John. I betcha together we could come up with a pretty good one. Building an essay collaboratively online, would be an interesting adventure !! :)

Seeker
11-18-2002, 03:28 PM
Just to clarify, if you are one of contest winners, do you get a free Segway, or just get the chance to buy one for Christmas ?

Seeker

muckle
11-18-2002, 03:49 PM
How about:

I feel I should win the contest because I am not an idiot.

n/a
11-18-2002, 04:06 PM
quote:Cool idea, John. I betcha together we could come up with a pretty good one. Building an essay collaboratively online, would be an interesting adventure !!

Not a cool idea. I think they are going to be analyzing those letters rather carefully. If a couple of letters with the same content turn up, they will begin to wonder. I also think they are keeping track of this forum.

Seeker
11-18-2002, 04:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Lawrence

quote:Cool idea, John. I betcha together we could come up with a pretty good one. Building an essay collaboratively online, would be an interesting adventure !!

Not a cool idea. I think they are going to be analyzing those letters rather carefully. If a couple of letters with the same content turn up, they will begin to wonder. I also think they are keeping track of this forum.

Hmmm..you do have a point there Lawrence, but possibly there is some way around that problem.

Seeker

JohnM
11-18-2002, 04:42 PM

Lawrence, you've already questioned why anyone would want to be in a rush to get a Segway, when it's obvious even to a skeptic like myself why 4SegwayAdmin and weskifm would want be at the top of the list. What's the problem?

And I hope 'they' are keeping track of this forum. That way they know these guys deserve to have Segways under their Christmas trees for their enthusiastic support. Judging is based upon: "display of product knowledge and safe and appropriate use (60%); and appropriate and artful use of language (40%)." Winners will be chosen starting on this Wednesday, so 4SegwayAdmin and weskifm are probably penning thier entries right now, before anything is suggested here. These guys are shoe ins, with or without any assistance from the rest of us.

n/a
11-18-2002, 07:35 PM
quote:Lawrence, you've already questioned why anyone would want to be in a rush to get a Segway, when it's obvious even to a skeptic like myself why 4SegwayAdmin and weskifm would want be at the top of the list. What's the problem?

I think weskim and 4SegwayAdmin have a very good chance if they slip a little info in about their experiences with Segway and their Segwy related activity. Also they have a lot of knowledge about the Segway.

Also important to include is info to reassure them that u are a mature responsible person, with family. Dont tell them if u enjoy extreme sports or motorbike racing. They want Segways to get exposure so mention something about how u will ride it where it will be noticed. Tell them u want to demonstrate to the public how safe Segways really are. That should hit a warm spot.

Blinky
11-18-2002, 08:19 PM
Seeker writes,
and,
quote:Hmmm..you do have a point there Lawrence, but possibly there is some way around that problem.
Maybe the solution for your idea would be to designate the one buyer here who bought a Segway already, and to submit your thoughts online. But, I would keep the idea's general here on the forum(we could all help) and final drafts would be emailed to each other. If the person wins, that winner owes the rest of the participants at least a full day on the Segway. If its not out of your travel, or course.

Good luck guys ;)

Seeker
11-19-2002, 02:31 AM
Hi Guys,

If there's interest among members of this forum to contribute towards the construction of an essay, maybe we should email Segway, and ask them if this would be ok as far as they are concerned. If they gave us the go ahead, then I'd say, 'let's go for it'! Only the people on this site who've vouched that they will be buying a Segway, would be eligible to actually submit an essay to the contest.

Just some thoughts,

Seeker

GlideMaster
11-19-2002, 10:50 AM
Hi JohnM,

Well you're sort of right my 73 words went in last night. I had room for two more words at the end and I blew it. I forgot to add the words Merry Christmas. I've got my toes crossed. I would love to win then I might get to meet the member jgrohol (hope I have his member name right) and also my favorite person the King of Balance himself, Dean Kamen. They don't have to train me since I've already had the training. But they could give me the two day 3T course (Train the Trainer) and make me one of the Regional trainers they are going to have to have once people start purchasing their Segways. I'm available for the midwest and then some.

If I won I could kill two birds with one stone. I could pack up my Land Cruiser, monoski and don't forget the Segway (with snow tires and studs) and ski a little while I'm out east. I've been skiing for 28 years but I've never skied out east but I've been to everything out west and I do mean everything (most several times). But I digress, that's another forum.

<center>REMEMBER:

Segway Riders Ride Responsibly
and
Responsible Riders Ride Segway</center>

Lawrence, you've already questioned why anyone would want to be in a rush to get a Segway, when it's obvious even to a skeptic like myself why 4SegwayAdmin and weskifm would want be at the top of the list. What's the problem?

And I hope 'they' are keeping track of this forum. That way they know these guys deserve to have Segways under their Christmas trees for their enthusiastic support. Judging is based upon: "display of product knowledge and safe and appropriate use (60%); and appropriate and artful use of language (40%)." Winners will be chosen starting on this Wednesday, so 4SegwayAdmin and weskifm are probably penning thier entries right now, before anything is suggested here. These guys are shoe ins, with or without any assistance from the rest of us.

charmed
11-19-2002, 01:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by weskifm

Hi JohnM,

Well you're sort of right my 73 words went in last night. I had room for two more words at the end and I blew it. I forgot to add the words Merry Christmas. I've got my toes crossed. I would love to win then I might get to meet the member jgrohol (hope I have his member name right) and also my favorite person the King of Balance himself, Dean Kamen. They don't have to train me since I've already had the training. But they could give me the two day 3T course (Train the Trainer) and make me one of the Regional trainers they are going to have to have once people start purchasing their Segways. I'm available for the midwest and then some.

If I won I could kill two birds with one stone. I could pack up my Land Cruiser, monoski and don't forget the Segway (with snow tires and studs) and ski a little while I'm out east. I've been skiing for 28 years but I've never skied out east but I've been to everything out west and I do mean everything (most several times). But I digress, that's another forum.

REMEMBER:

and
Responsible Riders Ride Segway

Best of luck, Weskfm! I got a good feeling about your chances!

Blinky
11-20-2002, 10:19 AM
I have a feeling Weskifm is going to rock this essay! [8D]

Good luck.

Blinky
12-08-2002, 04:08 AM
Hello segway buyers,

I thought it would be great if you could post your short 75word essays for all to see. For those who won and those who came close.

If you don't mind to share of course. I would love to read them..

pt
12-08-2002, 04:22 AM
quote:Originally posted by Blinky
Hello segway buyers,I thought it would be great if you could post your short 75word essays for all to see. For those who won and those who came close.If you don't mind to share of course. I would love to read them..

i would suggest that everyone waits to post any of their writings until after the contest is over (one more week or so). seems like the right thing to do.

cheers,
pt

http://www.bookofseg.com

Blinky
12-08-2002, 04:26 AM
Good point PT,

For those who did not see them, here are the three previous winning essays that did make it.

quote:"My father-in-law is the kindest, most generous man I've ever met. He wants nothing, yet he loves to give and see others happy. He is fascinated by the Segway's ingenious design, never dreaming of owning one! November 26 is his birthday—this seems like the perfect gift."
- Marlene Sanders, daughter-in-law of Norman Sanders, Jacksonville, Fla.

"The Segway HT is an extension of body and mind—reacting smoothly to move you elegantly. Maintain an upright balance while controlling ballet-like movements with cues that are invisible, undetectable. Arrive un-winded, exhilarated. It is the 'ascent of man' from invertebrate to primate to biped to Segway!"
- Ezra Goldman, Naperville, Ill.

"My dream... Gliding effortlessly onto the sidewalk, crowded with commuters. Someone calls my name and I turn on a dime to see a neighbor who looks out of breath. He says he's running late for work. I smile. Their way, the old way. My way, Segway."
- Michael Osver, Washington, D.C.
http://www.segway.com/aboutus/press_releases/pr_112702.html

Blinky
12-10-2002, 10:17 PM
Just a reminder for those who forgot, please post your essays here. Again, only share if you wish, no one if forcing you :D

do it... post it.... now.... c'mon.... any day now... lets go...

Thanks ;)

jwood
12-10-2002, 11:31 PM
I'm IN! I received the phone call today, and I'll be visiting Manchester, NH next week (all the way from Portsmouth, NH). I'm new to this forum, but I had to tell someone (that cares)! Feel free to comment, ask questions etc., and I'll be glad to keep you all posted. This is a wonderful day! Best of luck to the rest of you.

pt
12-10-2002, 11:42 PM
wow, congrats you're going to have a blast.

cheers,
pt

quote:Originally posted by jwood_segwaychat

I'm IN! I received the phone call today, and I'll be visiting Manchester, NH next week (all the way from Portsmouth, NH). I'm new to this forum, but I had to tell someone (that cares)! Feel free to comment, ask questions etc., and I'll be glad to keep you all posted. This is a wonderful day! Best of luck to the rest of you.

http://www.bookofseg.com

Blinky
12-10-2002, 11:42 PM
Welcome jwood,

don't forget to post in the Owners thread

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=536

drucilla
12-11-2002, 01:15 AM
you are a lucky dog jwood..looking forward to more posts from you when you get back..

mind if my segway and i pass?

4Seg
12-11-2002, 01:34 AM
jwood! That's awesome! Frank, isn't this GREAT! More members are winning (or more winners are joining the site)!

If we could only be resellers...

Mike
http://www.stlsegway.com
Yahoo: stlsegway

RobbW
12-11-2002, 03:06 AM
OMG, something just occured to me!!!

What if Dean Kamen is really Willy Wonka in disguise and his factory is making Segways now because Nestle bought the rights to Wonka years ago and forced him to do something else and the reason he is inviting 30 people to his house and factory is because he is looking to give his factory away to one of the lucky winners that doesn't try eating one of his inventions when he's not looking and maybe the factory workers are really Oompa Loompas in disguise, and holy cow, has anyone tried licking the wallpaper at the factory, I mean, what if it tastes like Snozzberries and well....

RobbW (coming to you live via WonkaVision in Santa Clarita CA)

jwood
12-11-2002, 04:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by RobbW

OMG, something just occured to me!!!

What if Dean Kamen is really Willy Wonka in disguise and his factory is making Segways now because Nestle bought the rights to Wonka years ago and forced him to do something else and the reason he is inviting 30 people to his house and factory is because he is looking to give his factory away to one of the lucky winners that doesn't try eating one of his inventions when he's not looking and maybe the factory workers are really Oompa Loompas in disguise, and holy cow, has anyone tried licking the wallpaper at the factory, I mean, what if it tastes like Snozzberries and well....

RobbW (coming to you live via WonkaVision in Santa Clarita CA)

Exactly what I was thinking. :)

np
12-11-2002, 09:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by 4SegwayAdmin

jwood! That's awesome! Frank, isn't this GREAT! More members are winning (or more winners are joining the site)!

If we could only be resellers...

Mike
http://www.stlsegway.com
Yahoo: stlsegway

Here is the beginning of the article about the first winners. They posted the entire article at the old site, the name of the thread is the same as the title.

A Segway under the tree
Author: AMY ABBOTT

Sunday News Correspondent
Publication: New Hampshire Sunday News (Manchester, NH)
Page Number: B1

By AMY ABBOTT

Sunday News Correspondent

BEDFORD --Dean Kamen and Segway may be household names in the Granite State, but increasingly that's becoming true for other parts of the country where the inventor's Human Transporters are being used by municipal and corporate organizations such as the U.S. Postal Service and Disney Cruise Lines.

Now Segways are available to the public; but who is buying them and for what sort of use?

http://www.neuroprosthesis.org/blogger.html

Casey
12-11-2002, 10:07 AM
Thanks for this np.

quote:Tuesday, December 10, 2002

Permanent Link 10:13 AM

Segway enthusiasts and new owners chronicle their happiness.
See also Segwaychat with lots of FIRST links.

http://www.neuroprosthesis.org/blogger.html

JohnG
12-11-2002, 11:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by Blinky

Good point PT,

For those who did not see them, here are the three previous winning essays that did make it.

Those aren't the entire essays, they are just excerpts... We won't post the entire essays until the contest is over, as we don't want to give people ideas! :)

axiotek
12-11-2002, 06:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by jwood

Maybe I'll see you there jwood, I just got that call myself! Yes!

Brooster
12-11-2002, 07:28 PM
Congratulations Jwood and Axiotec! Fantastic news! I'm really excited for you guys ... sounds like you're in for the experience of a lifetime.

Brooster

axiotek
12-11-2002, 08:14 PM
Thanks Brooster. May I thank everyone here for the warm welcome, stimulating dialogue and inspiration to purchase. This is the first cyber community I have really felt a part of. All are welcome in the World of Seg...

Blinky
12-11-2002, 08:27 PM
jgrohol writes,
quote:Those aren't the entire essays, they are just excerpts... We won't post the entire essays until the contest is over, as we don't want to give people ideas!
Thanks for pointing that out. We can't wait to read them and pick them apart for a next essay contest ;) (if there was to be another).

Happy Holidays

RobbW
12-12-2002, 12:56 AM
Congrats Axiotek and JWood!!!!! I am as happy for you as I am jealous of you!! (And that's a whole lotta happy!!!)

Have a fantastic time!!!

RobbW (livin' large' in the Alps of Santa Clarita CA)

jwood
12-12-2002, 12:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by axiotek

Awesome and congrats! Are you going Wed/Thu (18/19)? If so, I'll see you there! Where are you coming from? By the way, what's your shirt size, and do you have any dietary restrictions?! :)

GlideMaster
12-12-2002, 12:52 PM
JWood and Axiotek, Enjoy The Glide and have a safe trip and Glide one for those who have yet to Glide. Being an Ambossodor of the Glide or a Glide Ambassador is truly a great experience. Already being one of the few Ambassadors of the Glide myself I know the feeling and soon you will too.

<center>Ahhh The World of Seg, and a good world it is.

Have Seg Will Travel

REMEMBER:
and

Segway, The Mind Changer</center>

Awesome and congrats! Are you going Wed/Thu (18/19)? If so, I'll see you there! Where are you coming from? By the way, what's your shirt size, and do you have any dietary restrictions?! :)

drucilla
12-12-2002, 12:56 PM
jwood and axiotek! You guys are soooo lucky. I thought my essay was good and might win but no such luck. Have tons of fun and make that 3 month lead on the rest of us count. Congrats

n/a
12-12-2002, 02:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by drucilla

jwood and axiotek! You guys are soooo lucky. I thought my essay was good and might win but no such luck. Have tons of fun and make that 3 month lead on the rest of us count. Congrats

drucilla, do u know if u can enter more than one essay? We might help u with a second essay if it is not too late for u. How about posting your first one?

GlideMaster
12-12-2002, 02:47 PM
Lawrence Lawrence Lawrence one essay only. Enjoy the Glide

Have Seg Will Travel

REMEMBER:
and

drucilla, do u know if u can enter more than one essay? We might help u with a second essay if it is not too late for u. How about posting your first one?

drucilla
12-12-2002, 02:47 PM
thanks for the offer lawrence. only one entry per purchase, and i have already made mine. As far as posting the essay I'll respect the others request to wait till after the contest. No matter, not good enough to win, so wouldn't want anyone else to lose out cause of me...lol

GlideMaster
12-12-2002, 02:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by weskifm

Drucilla you and your Seg may pass only if you promise to Glide past.
Enjoy The Glide

Have Seg Will Travel

REMEMBER:
and

drucilla
12-12-2002, 03:03 PM
i promise to glide with grace once i recieve my traning..thanks for the support

GlideMaster
12-12-2002, 03:14 PM
Drucilla The Grace Of Your Glide Shall Be Noted. Enjoy The Glide

Have Seg Will Travel

REMEMBER:
and

i promise to glide with grace once i recieve my traning..thanks for the support

axiotek
12-12-2002, 06:12 PM

Darn, I have slightly different days. I'm so close, I get to depart with Seg in hand, no shipping!! :D

jwood
12-12-2002, 08:16 PM

Darn, I have slightly different days. I'm so close, I get to depart with Seg in hand, no shipping!! :D

Yep, I'm lugging mine home as well. Enjoy!

BBBix
12-12-2002, 08:20 PM
I wish that you could ride them onto planes.....I think that they are too big. The 'p' series might be small enough, but it is not out.

Bill B.

Blinky
12-13-2002, 09:38 PM
BruceWright writes,
quote:Since I haven't bought one, and probably won't for a little while, I thought I'd say what I would have said in my Essay.

Anyone is free to use this as their entry, but if they win, they have to give me a free ride.

What I like most about the Segway HT.

How can a device change the world? Imagine Jobs and Wozniack, showing the first personal computer to a group of students. Imagine the Wright Brothers, working in their bicycle shop. Imagine Edison, winding tinfoil around a spool, and speaking into a cone, "Mary had a little lamb..."

"That thing? It can't even......"

Not yet.

One computer is not the internet. One airplane is not a fleet. One voice is but the very beginning of the communications revolution.

A better question to ask: "If this was to change the world, how would it, and what would the new world look like?"

Instants of time pass with little regard and no sufficient measure. There is a time before and a time after each instant. Man did not walk on the moon, until suddenly -- he did.

Our ancestors tamed horses, and forever after man and horse travel as one, achiving together what neither could alone.

We invented the wheel, and man and machine moved as one. Not as gracefully as the horse, but more predictably and more powerfully.

We stand at the dawn of the 21st Century, and we see the world that is to come. We apply all that we learn about the human body to improve our machines. We create machines with human senses like balance and inertia. We give machines logic circuits and nervous-systems that mimic our own. We create machines, not in our image, but with the designs of nature in our minds. We call this field "robotics" and we begin to see the wonders it makes possible.

And so we come to another instant.

People bound to wheelchairs never stood again. And then suddenly, they did.

And the world changed again.

I was not alive when a men first rode horses. I did not see the first wheeled chariots. But I was here at this instant.

I will be the first generation to travel with an intelligent vehicle. To move as one, predictably, powerfully, with the grace of horse and rider. Achieving together what neither could alone.
BruceWright was kind enough to share an essay he wrote and shared with all of us from another thread.

Read and enjoy!

Happy Holidays!

flashgoirl
12-14-2002, 04:46 AM
Have a great time guys - it's really a trip of a lifetime - it will be fun when everyone's been and returned, so we can start sharing the experience with folks here at Segwaychat - hopefully those of us who took early delivery can share tons of info and pics to help the time fly for everybody!

"When buying dog toys one must always consider the delicate balance between fluff and squeak." - pt