PDA

View Full Version : Message from Dean Kamen

ftropea
11-18-2002, 12:38 PM
From the Amazon.com Segway page:

Inventors' Note

The dictionary defines segue as "a smooth transition from one place or idea to another." While the Segway HT represents a smooth transition from one physical place to another, we chose the name Segway for our company because we believe the Segway HT also represents an important transition to a new idea: an energy efficient, environmentally friendly, productivity enhancing, and fun alternative for short distance travel.

Segway enthusiasts who choose to purchase the first Segway Human Transporters through this program will have the world watching them. Hopefully, you will represent Segway with the same passion and vision we had in bringing the idea to reality. Why such great expectations? Because we believe that when you are among the first to purchase and embrace new technology, you personify the spirit that allows inventions to become innovations, and that spirit can change the world.

So, welcome to Segway, and enjoy the ride!

Thanks, Dean Kamen and the team at Segway

We at SegwayChat couldn't agree more. The first Segway-HT owners will be representative of this new technology. They will have a special responsibility to show the world that this technology works and that the product is practical.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Blinky
11-18-2002, 11:28 PM
Amazon clip,
quote:Segway enthusiasts who choose to purchase the first Segway Human Transporters through this program will have the world watching them. Hopefully, you will represent Segway with the same passion and vision we had in bringing the idea to reality. Why such great expectations? Because we believe that when you are among the first to purchase and embrace new technology, you personify the spirit that allows inventions to become innovations, and that spirit can change the world.
How many crazed protesters do you think will buy one to sabotage Segway's image knowing Kamen & co are watching. It would help their cause. [}:)]

Podkletnov
11-18-2002, 11:47 PM
How many are they selling this way? A limited #, or as many as will buy them at that price?

I'd love to be one of the first to own one, but 5k is 1/5 of my teachers' salary...oh well, maybe some day...

ftropea
11-18-2002, 11:53 PM
2 per customer. I suppose that prevents someone from buying, let's say, 10 of them and renting them out. Imagine getting an inexpensive booth at your local mall... and renting them out to shoppers for an hour or so. You could attach little security tags to the Segways so people don't drive 'em out... Make sure you get a credit card number and a major piece of identification, like a driver's license!

But you can't do it anyway... that was my original point :D

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea