PDA

View Full Version : Who's Placed Their Order

Pages : [1] 2

GlideMaster
11-18-2002, 11:48 AM
Well guys I've placed my order at Amazon.com.

Model i167
$4,950.00
Deposit $495.00

Now the wait, DAM. OOPs!

Who's next?

ftropea
11-18-2002, 12:05 PM
Way to go weskifm!

So who will be the first SegwayChat Segway owner?

You and 4SegwayAdmin are in the game... I hope you both win that trip to NH!!!!

It's tougher for me boys.. I have wife to think about. We can't get just one Segway. We'd have to buy two... and as I've told you, she absolutely loves the Segway. However, the money layout for us would be more than 10K - and that's a lot restaurant dinners and movies to give up.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

charmed
11-18-2002, 12:28 PM
Way to go, you two! Pretty exciting. Hope both of you get them in by Christmas!

GlideMaster
11-18-2002, 12:39 PM
Franky Franky baby! Sell your car or if calmer heads prevail just buy one for now and let your wife ride four days out of the week and you ride three days out of the week. Hey a guy has to do what a guy has to do: and you and your wife have got to ride. The family that Segways together stays together. Do you like that for a Slogan?

You just have to get one by whatever means necessary.
Legal of course.

n/a
11-18-2002, 04:17 PM
What is the rush guys? The price will surely drop significantly in the next 6 months. Are u that eager to have the first Segway in your neighbourhood?

ftropea
11-18-2002, 04:20 PM
Don't listen to Lawrence... ;)

You guys go and buy those Segways.. In fact, each of you should buy two... and then get all your friends to buy them. By the laws of probability, one of you - or someone you know - will win one of those trips to NH. Then SegwayChat would be sure to get the exclusive scoop of the experience!!

Yeah - it's all about what *I* want. :P

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Casey
11-18-2002, 04:29 PM
quote:The price will surely drop significantly in the next 6 months.

One question that was asked specifically toward the end of the GMA segment was if the price would be coming down. The answer was an emphatic NO by both Kamen and Bezos.

Kamen make a little speach about how some things come down in price, but things like houses go up. Segway he said would not be coming down, but they would do their best to keep it from rising. Bezos then went into an explanation of the technology and how it was amazing that Kamen had been able to keep the price as low as it is.

IOW, they may have to change their minds, but as of now don't expect any price reduction.

charmed
11-18-2002, 05:14 PM
Let's not forget about the personal models. When released, they are likely to be significantly lower.

Casey
11-18-2002, 05:21 PM
Well Charmed, all I know about is the E commercial model and the I consumer model. This is the I model so I don't know what other one you are referring to.

charmed
11-18-2002, 06:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by Casey

Well Charmed, all I know about is the E commercial model and the I consumer model. This is the I model so I don't know what other one you are referring to.

Am I crazy? I thought the I and the E were virtually the same (with the E model inclusive of sidebags, front basket, etc), while the P is a smaller, lighter, slightly slower consumer model.

I realize that the P isn't well represented on the Segway site, but it has been seen here and there in the past. I believe it is 20 lbs lighter.

Casey
11-18-2002, 06:31 PM
I sure won't say there won't be other models. In fact I am sure there will be, I just wasn't aware of any that are planned immediately.

I've seen pictures of everything from very lightweight looking ones to one that looks like it has garden tiller tires on it.

n/a
11-18-2002, 06:37 PM
quote:Kamen make a little speach about how some things come down in price, but things like houses go up. Segway he said would not be coming down, but they would do their best to keep it from rising.

If true, I think Segway will have big problems selling to the consumer market at that price. I would think thrice about buying it for $3000 as would most people IMO. I figure they say that so that people wont hold back buying for a while. Also I figure that the $5000 price is for the early, early, adapters.

charmed
11-18-2002, 06:38 PM

I sure won't say there won't be other models. In fact I am sure there will be, I just wasn't aware of any that are planned immediately.

I've seen pictures of everything from very lightweight looking ones to one that looks like it has garden tiller tires on it.

Good point. I was taking the P model a bit more seriously due to the fact that at one point someone had linked to some promotional materials that layed out the I, the E, and the P model I refer to. Also, we have seen the P model in use in some of the demonstration footage.

For all I know the P model had been superceded by something else.

n/a
11-18-2002, 07:01 PM
The models being sold are top of the line. So there will in all probability be cheaper models available soon. In that case, Kamen and Bezos might have been serious about the price not falling. The comment about house prices was a little odd though.

Casey
11-18-2002, 07:11 PM
Dean also mentioned cars as an item whose prices rise each year. He was just pointing out that not everything comes down in price.

n/a
11-18-2002, 07:25 PM

Dean also mentioned cars as an item whose prices rise each year. He was just pointing out that not everything comes down in price.

There are supposed to be 10 micro processors in those things. How could the prices not fall?

I didnt see the program, I only read a description. Still I dont think Kamen could say that prices will fall or that cheaper models will be available next year. That would be bad for sales.

Casey
11-18-2002, 07:45 PM
quote:There are supposed to be 10 micro processors in those things. How could the prices not fall?

Funny you should mention that. Bezos pointed out the 10 "computers" as a reason for the high price.

GlideMaster
11-18-2002, 07:48 PM
Hi Charmed,
The e-series is the Model that the Postal Service uses with the saddle bags.

The e-series has the electric kickstand. The platform is tilted back. The Segway stays in place (park) with the e-series. Shaft is near vertical.

The i-series has no electric kickstand. The platform is level will not stay stationary unless wheels are blocked. Segway HT may move up to 6'.

"Optimum tire pressure is 15psi for an i-series or e-series. For an e-series with cargo in the bags, the tires should be at 22psi to avoid flattening out under the payload weight."

Blinky
11-18-2002, 07:58 PM
Casey writes,
quote:One question that was asked specifically toward the end of the GMA segment was if the price would be coming down. The answer was an emphatic NO by both Kamen and Bezos.

Kamen make a little speach about how some things come down in price, but things like houses go up. Segway he said would not be coming down, but they would do their best to keep it from rising. Bezos then went into an explanation of the technology and how it was amazing that Kamen had been able to keep the price as low as it is.

IOW, they may have to change their minds, but as of now don't expect any price reduction.
I think they prices could do nothing more than come down eventually. We are not going to hear that from Kamen, Bezos or any other Segway employee, but how can they possibly go up on existing models in the future.

Why should they say the price will go down? So people won't buy it right away. Segway would not make any initial sales that way. Bezos is full of crap. I wonder what the (money saved on this item will be) for the Segway. I am to lazy to check their page, let me know if they have that.

GlideMaster
11-18-2002, 08:03 PM
Well I cannot believe out of all this chit chat every day and every hour from all over the world that only two members have indicated that they have placed their orders.

Well I guess the old adage is true "Talk Is Cheap." But then again I guess the Segway isn't.

I think the King of Balance would be a little disappointed in his main supporters. [:0]:([V][8]

momentone
11-18-2002, 08:04 PM
Re: the personal model.

The personal model is the one Mr. Kamen himself rides around on all the time -- except today.

When I met him he was on the personal model. It is shorter and narrower and seems more appropriate for indoor-outdoor use.

Will they sell the personal model? If they meet with success on this model I am sure many more will follow.

adios

Casey
11-18-2002, 08:09 PM
Maybe their intent is to sell the more expensive model first while they are ramping up. Then follow with an "economy" model. Car companies often pack the dealerships with the loaded models of a new car line before finally getting the cheaper versions on the lots.

Blinky
11-18-2002, 08:13 PM
Very true Casey. And maybe at the same time we should not assume that the 'P' model will be any cheaper when it comes out due to its less weight and size. I could see that thing ringing for the $5000 price and the 'I' model dipping down a bit.

This is of course they don't sell the 'P' for more than 5k and leave the 'I' price alone.

Brooster
11-19-2002, 01:09 AM
Well, last night I had myself all worked up and convinced that I'd be one of the first in line. But the light of day and common sense got the better of me. $5G is an awful lot of money for a guy who until only recently was out of work for a long time. But hey, at least I have a shiny new Northwestern degree to show for my lost time and income, so not all is lost.

There's absolutely no one who wants a Segway (and an i-Series at that) more than me, but the right thing for me to do is wait. At least I'll always be able to say that I was one of the first to ride one, and for that I'll always be very grateful. It's a wonderful device, but as Mick and the Stones say, "You can't always get what you want." My day will come.

Congrats to 4Seg and Weskifm ... I'm excited for you guys, and I hope you both win the contest! You both deserve that trip to NH and a dinner with Dean.

Broo

Brooster

n/a
11-19-2002, 05:21 AM
quote:Originally posted by weskifm

Well I cannot believe out of all this chit chat every day and every hour from all over the world that only two members have indicated that they have placed their orders.

Well I guess the old adage is true "Talk Is Cheap." But then again I guess the Segway isn't.

I think the King of Balance would be a little disappointed in his main supporters. [:0]:([V][8]

That tells us and Segway LLC something very usefull Weskim. It tells us that even the most interested people, some of whom have been discussing Segway for 2 years, are not willing to fork out $5000 for a Segway.

Casey
11-19-2002, 08:11 AM
I think there is something we need to remember.

There are in excess of 10 million cars and light trucks sold each year in the US. With that large amount, the manufacturers still consider approximately 20 thousand units to be the break even point for a given model.

I don't expect Segway to sell more than that 20000 units the first year. But I do expect it to be enough to make them profitable and keep them going and growing.

My point is that I don't believe Segway has to sell a new vehicle to everyone who would like to have one anymore than the auto manufacturers do. Those who do want a Segway and can easily afford it will buy them even if just as a toy to be used occasionally. Add to that the transportation and industrial applications they will grow into, and I think Segway will do just fine well into the future.

ftropea
11-19-2002, 10:28 AM
Talk isn't cheap, wekskifm. In fact, I doubt you'll find bigger supporters than us, not including Segway employees or their families.

I'll tell you what else isn't exactly "cheap."

$10,100 - The cost of 2 Segway-HT i167 Series Segways + S/H

Plus any additional cost to get to a training.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

ftropea
11-19-2002, 11:39 AM
I know you want me to get at least one... but the wife and I do almost everything together, and we talked about this a lot... she really wants to get two, if we get them at all.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

n/a
11-19-2002, 01:39 PM
quote:Talk isn't cheap, wekskifm. In fact, I doubt you'll find bigger supporters than us, not including Segway employees or their families.

Amen to that Frank. Had we used the time that we did to discuss and defend Kamen, Segway and his visions against unfair criticizm, and develop discussion forums, to earn some extra cash, that would add up to several Segways for us all. So in our case talk is very expensive.

I wonder if Kamen would have preferred that we bought his Segways instead of discussed them as we did.

Your enthusiasm for the Segway is appreciated though Weskim. U have ridden it, most of us have not. That might make a difference when we do but I still doubt it. It didnt convince Frank.

charmed
11-19-2002, 01:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by Lawrence

quote:Talk isn't cheap, wekskifm. In fact, I doubt you'll find bigger supporters than us, not including Segway employees or their families.

Amen to that Frank. Had we used the time that we did to discuss and defend Kamen, Segway and his visions against unfair criticizm, and develop discussion forums, to earn some extra cash, that would add up to several Segways for us all. So in our case talk is very expensive.

I wonder if Kamen would have preferred that we bought his Segways instead of discussed them as we did.

Your enthusiasm for the Segway is appreciated though Weskim. U have ridden it, most of us have not. That might make a difference when we do but I still doubt it. It didnt convince Frank.

Reading between the lines here, Lawrence, I see the above as a shameless plea for complimentary Segways for the SegwayChat founders (or at least Frank T). I second it. From a marketing standpoint there is no better move they could make at this juncture.

By the way, I think Frank is convinced, just not liquid enough at this point in time.

n/a
11-19-2002, 02:02 PM
quote:Reading between the lines here, Lawrence, I see the above as a shameless plea for complimentary Segways for the SegwayChat founders (or at least Frank T). I second it. From a marketing standpoint there is no better move they could make at this juncture.

Charmed, u werent reading between the lines, u were reading my unconcious thoughts.

quote:By the way, I think Frank is convinced, just not liquid enough at this point in time.

I stand corrected. But I wonder, would he have bought them at $3000 a piece. Would u Frank?

ftropea
11-19-2002, 02:12 PM
Yeah... at 3K a piece, I would purchase two with the additional costs of S/H + attending training...

And in actuality, I could probably convince my wife to let us buy just one to "play with" - because at 3K it becomes more of a "toy for him" sort of thing.. something that I can get for Christmas.. something which is less of a financial investment, or where we as a couple have to reconcile the "practicality" of getting it.. what we'd do with it.. how much it would be worth to us...

More simply...

At 3K - it becomes less of a "major purchase." The purchase requires less rationalization... less eyebrow raising... It's an easier sell on my wife.. (although she's already sold... but deep down we're trying to be fiscally responsible here!)

If you're rich, you probably don't get what I'm trying to say :)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

GlideMaster
11-19-2002, 03:43 PM
Hi Frank,

Look I know what you mean, we have to keep peace in the house. That is if we want to live there. But if you can, I think one is better than none for now and then maybe they will come up with an updated series by the time you're ready to get the second one.

Personally, I think you should get one free or at least a 50% discount for having such a positive site on the Segway. I think this site has done more free advertising for Segway than they have done for themselves.

<center>REMEMBER:
Responsible Riders Ride Segway
and
Segway Riders Ride Responsibly</center>

quote:Originally posted by ftropea

I know you want me to get at least one... but the wife and I do almost everything together, and we talked about this a lot... she really wants to get two, if we get them at all.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Cube128
11-19-2002, 05:56 PM
You should see the Amazon discussion thread on the Segway. Everyone hates it, and thinks it for lazy people. They say that this is only a rich kid's toy.

Casey
11-19-2002, 06:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by Cube128

You should see the Amazon discussion thread on the Segway. Everyone hates it, and thinks it for lazy people. They say that this is only a rich kid's toy.

Sounds like TIQ has some plants in Amazons Forum. I'd noticed TIQ is just about dead today, maybe they migrated over there.

n/a
11-19-2002, 08:43 PM
quote:They say that this is only a rich kid's toy.

Actually I can understand the resentment. The first Segways will be bought by people with a lot of disposable income I think. Maybe we should make our presence felt on Amazon, just a little?

Cube128
11-19-2002, 09:20 PM
I already am. I answered a few questions from some people interested in purchasing, and I've added some facts to the discussion. Right now, it seems the only thing they can come up with is the price. In regards to the "Rich kid's toy", it is worth pointing out that the original bikes were just that. They were very expensive, and only wealthy people bought them. They were thought of as toys by people who couldn't afford one.

Brooster
11-19-2002, 11:29 PM
At about 10:00 last night, Lady Broo saw me moping around the house and said something about me looking like I'd just lost my best friend. "Yeah, well, you know ..." I said.

"Yeah, I know," she replied.

She walked out of the room and came back in with a sealed manilla envelope. She smiled and said: "Merry Christmas for the next three years, honey!"

I guess you know what was in that envelope! A printed confirmation from Amazon.com. I'm still just in absolute shock. I have a heck of a wife, don't I? Holy smokes, we're gonna have a Segway i-Series! It still seems too good to be true!

Like 4Seg, we've still not received the e-mail with the "contest code." I have my essay ready to go, and I sure hope we get it soon because they begin drawing winners tomorrow.

&lt;deep breath&gt; WOW!

Brooster

GlideMaster
11-20-2002, 12:01 AM
Congratulations Brooster, now like Frank you are going to have to share. Looks like we may have that Segway Rally yet. Now who would sponsor a Segway Rally? Maybe someone who sponsors FIRST? Now is the word Segway an acronym for something.
SEGWAY

S=serious
E=enthusiastic
G=guys
W=waited
A=a
Y=year
Serious Enthustiastic Guys Waited A Year

<center>
REMEMBER:
and

ftropea
11-20-2002, 12:02 AM
You guys are making me look bad! :)

But I'm really happy about that!!!

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

GlideMaster
11-20-2002, 12:12 AM
Frank you didn't look bad on that Segway you rode. I'm willing to bet that some way some how you'll have your Segway by next March if not earlier.

One thing though, the site still looks good.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

charmed
11-20-2002, 07:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by Brooster

At about 10:00 last night, Lady Broo saw me moping around the house and said something about me looking like I'd just lost my best friend. "Yeah, well, you know ..." I said.

"Yeah, I know," she replied.

She walked out of the room and came back in with a sealed manilla envelope. She smiled and said: "Merry Christmas for the next three years, honey!"

I guess you know what was in that envelope! A printed confirmation from Amazon.com. I'm still just in absolute shock. I have a heck of a wife, don't I? Holy smokes, we're gonna have a Segway i-Series! It still seems too good to be true!

Like 4Seg, we've still not received the e-mail with the "contest code." I have my essay ready to go, and I sure hope we get it soon because they begin drawing winners tomorrow.

&lt;deep breath&gt; WOW!

Brooster

That's got to be the sweetest thing I have ever read in the long and winding Segway story. I couldn't be happier for you, Broo! What a woman!

Here's hoping you three gentlemens' essays rise like cream to the top of the heap, and you are drinking tall frosty ones at Villa d'Kamen in the very near future.

I hope Segway is reading these pages. The three of you have already eloquently written your essays many times over.

Hey Brooster- who are you going to take with you should you win the contest?:)

bicycledriver
11-20-2002, 12:23 PM
My wonderful wife bought me my newest road bike last Christmas for $2000 dollars. That's a lot of money to spend on what some people consider a toy, but it all comes down to the amount of pleasure and use one gets out of it.

I've put about 1000 miles on that bike this year, bringing the cost to $2 per mile. (In the same year I'll put another 1000 miles or so on my other bikes that I ride off-road or in bad weather.) If I do the same mix of riding next year that will become $1 per mile, and after 10 years (my last road bike is 17 years old) the cost will be down to 20 cents per mile. At four minutes per mile that's five cents per minute of cycling pleasure. I can live with that; I imagine Segway buyers can work out the same sort of justification.

Steve Goodridge

Casey
11-20-2002, 01:22 PM
Nice rationalizing Steve. You are right, we can always figure a way to justify what we really want.

Enjoy that new bike. My old Raleigh is 30 years old and it has had nothing but new tires a few times. Could use a new saddle though. I no longer use it but my grandkids use it and my wifes same age Raleigh when they visit. A good one goes a long time. My son took the Ross a few years back and it no longer exists as far as I know.

BBBix
11-20-2002, 01:56 PM
Well, I am 16 years old and money is kinda short. Any ideas of ways that I could raise 5k in the near future and justify getting a Segway in the process? The only idea that I had so far was to charge companies to tow around their sign on the back of a trailer......Any ohter ideas?

Bill B.

GlideMaster
11-20-2002, 02:44 PM
Well BBBix you know that old adage:

Have Parents Will Buy............not to be confused with Have Gun Will Travel. That was a TV program way before your time BBBix.

When you get your Segway don't forget the following:

<center>REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by BBBix

Well, I am 16 years old and money is kinda short. Any ideas of ways that I could raise 5k in the near future and justify getting a Segway in the process? The only idea that I had so far was to charge companies to tow around their sign on the back of a trailer......Any ohter ideas?

Bill B.

Brooster
11-20-2002, 04:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by charmed

Here's hoping you three gentlemens' essays rise like cream to the top of the heap, and you are drinking tall frosty ones at Villa d'Kamen in the very near future.

I hope Segway is reading these pages. The three of you have already eloquently written your essays many times over.

Hey Brooster- who are you going to take with you should you win the contest?:)

Thanks Charmed! Yeah, I think you know who's going with me should I win. :D

Now, if we could only get a contest code from Segway, we might stand half a chance!

Brooster

P. Sage
11-20-2002, 05:56 PM
I remember when CD players came out in 1983. I went into a high-end stereo store to check them out. They were about $450 (remember that the dollar was worth a lot more then too).

I told the guy that I'd buy one when the price dropped to $99. He said "It'll never happen. These things are complicated! They have lasers and computers in 'em. They might go down a little but never under $325 or so."

Of course now we see them for $20 (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/letsgodigital/cxcd303.html, for example).

So I think that Segways will be selling for $1000 in 5-10 years and $500 in 20 years.

What will happen? If the product is a success, the part count will go down. Instead of two sisterboards acting as the controller, there will be two chips. Instead of a big gyroscope cube with all kinds of mechanical objects and fluids in it, there will be a monolithic MEMS device with each of those components miniaturized, etc. The only major costs really will be the motors and batteries, and the structural elements.

charmed
11-20-2002, 06:23 PM
Hi P. Sage

you wrote: "Instead of a big gyroscope cube with all kinds of mechanical objects and fluids in it, there will be a monolithic MEMS device with each of those components miniaturized, etc."

Just to let you know, the gyros in the Segway are piezo electric, not mechanical (and reportedly relatively inexpensive).

Advancements in battery technology could really drive the price down, however, as well as extend the range.

Blinky
11-21-2002, 10:11 AM
quote:Advancements in battery technology could really drive the price down, however, as well as extend the range.
I would actually thing that the new advancement in the Segway-HT's battery will make the price go up. Why spend money on new technology for the Segway and then the company sells it for the same price as the old one.

They would probably make the money back that they invested. I could see the old battery Segway costing a little less than one with a new one.

It is going to be interesting to see how things work out.

Casey
11-21-2002, 11:14 AM
It is an old car manufacturers trick to increase content rather than decrease price. While they pay wholesale for the new content, a price decrease is for the full amount.

That could also be done if a better battery became available for Segway at the same time volume and increased productivity would make a price cut possible.

charmed
11-21-2002, 01:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by Blinky

quote:Advancements in battery technology could really drive the price down, however, as well as extend the range.
I would actually thing that the new advancement in the Segway-HT's battery will make the price go up. Why spend money on new technology for the Segway and then the company sells it for the same price as the old one.

They would probably make the money back that they invested. I could see the old battery Segway costing a little less than one with a new one.

It is going to be interesting to see how things work out.

I guess my point is that batteries are getting better and cheaper. If a new battery weighs, say, 50% less but stores and delivers a comperable amount of energy, the overall weight and size of the Segway can also be cut back. If existing batteries can be exchanged with new versions for the same cost or less (check out cell phone and computer batteries for good examples).

The new lithium polymer batteries, for example, are lighter and smaller than their nicad or nimh counterparts, and per amp hour, getting very competitive in price.

So far, the advanced battery market seems to be driven by portable electronics and toys. Hopefully an emerging personal transportation market can help spur things on.

Lazarus
11-21-2002, 10:55 PM
I bought mine 2 days ago!...Linda

GlideMaster
11-21-2002, 11:07 PM
Welcome to the club, hope you entered the contest. But I hope I win. :):):)

<center>REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by Lazarus

Brooster
11-22-2002, 02:25 AM
Here's hoping we all win! Getting to meet Dean and the engineering team, seeing the prototypes, riding on the "agility course," and seeing that big house on the hill that we've all heard about ... what a cool thing it would be.

Brooster

charmed
11-22-2002, 09:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by Lazarus

Excellent news, Linda! The owner's club is growing.....

Brooster
11-22-2002, 09:33 AM
Yep Charmed, we're up to four, I guess. Two in Chicago and one in St. Louis ... where do you live, Linda?

Brooster

Lazarus
11-22-2002, 09:48 AM
I live in western MA...in an area known as the 5 college area. (Amherst, Mt.Holyoke, Smith, Hampshire, UMass).

I plan to use my Segway in place (at times) of my rollator--which is a walker. Mine has three 6" wheels and a triangular form..with handbrakes like a bicycle. The problem is that where I can use my walker or my electric scooter, I will need a way to introduce people to my 'electric walker' and get them to let me enter buildings with the Segway as they do with my walker.

Maybe at first I'll travel with friends in wheelchairs so the Segway will be seen as another mobility device for some disabled people? I live in a perfect area to do this. I appreciate any ideas.
Linda

Jameskk
11-22-2002, 11:52 AM
Make that 5 owners!!

I am new to this board and I placed an order when they first became available on Monday.

I live in South Carolina.

GlideMaster
11-22-2002, 12:19 PM
Welcome aboard James, hope you entered the contest. Well now we know at least five (5) people in the world will own Segways.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by Jameskk

Make that 5 owners!!

I am new to this board and I placed an order when they first became available on Monday.

I live in South Carolina.

ftropea
11-22-2002, 03:14 PM
JamesKK,

Welcome to SegwayChat! We look forward to hearing about your experiences with the Segway-HT. What interest me in particular is how and where you use it, how you like the product and what others you know think of it.

Make sure you let other people ride! Don't be greedy :)

Plus, I hope all of you win that NH trip. I like the chances that one of you will win. Our forum members will be plenty interested in hearing all about it :)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

RAG1247
11-24-2002, 07:31 AM
Make that 6 purchasers

I placed my order on the 18th andthen had some problems with a message indicating invalid code, but the Segway people were very helpful in solving the problem.

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

GlideMaster
11-24-2002, 01:39 PM
Welcome aboard RAG1247, hope you entered the contest. Well, now we know at least six(6) people in the world will own Segways. :)

<center>REMEMBER:
and
Segway Riders Ride Responsibly

Segway, The Mind Changer</center>

quote:Originally posted by RAG1247

Make that 6 purchasers

I placed my order on the 18th andthen had some problems with a message indicating invalid code, but the Segway people were very helpful in solving the problem.

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

n/a
11-24-2002, 03:32 PM
To those of u who are new and have ordered your Segways, I would be very interested in your reasons for putting in your order. It would also be interesting to hear more about who u are.

Brooster
11-24-2002, 11:27 PM
Welcome Jameskk and Rag1247!

Brooster

4Seg
11-25-2002, 01:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by RAG1247

Make that 6 purchasers

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Rag! congrats!

If we could only be resellers...

TLane
11-25-2002, 03:24 PM
New member here--

Placed an order as well. We'll be giving it a true test over the next couple of years: a 7 day a week, 7 mile round trip commute through downtown MINNEAPOLIS. HeHeHe....

It's 3-5 years of bus fare but a shorter commute time & the convenience
of stopping at the bank, post office, pet store, etc. We already have to dress for the wait at the bus stop.

Hope they have the snow tires soon. :-) Taking bets on how much charge the batteries hold in February. ;)

T Lane

ftropea
11-25-2002, 03:34 PM
TLane,

Welcome to the forum! We're establishing a community of Segway owners here at SegwayChat, and I'm really glad to have you as our newest member!

Did you enter the essay contest?

Also, when you do receive your Segway - will you be providing pics for us?

May I suggest that you also start a new thread (new post) and tell us more about your commute and how you plan to use your Segway?

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

GlideMaster
11-25-2002, 04:08 PM
Hi TLane, just wanted to say welcome on board future owner number seven (7). I plan on getting snow tires when I get mine. The winters here in Chicago are sometimes like Minneapolis winters.

They do advertise snow tires at the end of one of the videos on the Segway.com site.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by TLane

New member here--

Placed an order as well. We'll be giving it a true test over the next couple of years: a 7 day a week, 7 mile round trip commute through downtown MINNEAPOLIS. HeHeHe....

It's 3-5 years of bus fare but a shorter commute time & the convenience
of stopping at the bank, post office, pet store, etc. We already have to dress for the wait at the bus stop.

Hope they have the snow tires soon. :-) Taking bets on how much charge the batteries hold in February. ;)

T Lane

Brooster
11-25-2002, 05:26 PM
Congrats and welcome T Lane. And then there were 7. Will ol' Frank be #8? :)

Brooster

ftropea
11-25-2002, 05:33 PM
All of you make me look bad... what can I say? ;)

But that's OK, I'm happy about it!

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Jnadke
11-25-2002, 09:49 PM

Cars also are re-designed each year, and are continually upgraded with more stuff. Once the assembly line is applied to the Segway, and it is mass-produced, prices should drop. Doesn't mean Segway necessarily has to drop them, but it's just cheaper when mass-production is factored.

Blinky
11-25-2002, 10:09 PM
quote:Cars also are re-designed each year, and are continually upgraded with more stuff. Once the assembly line is applied to the Segway, and it is mass-produced, prices should drop. Doesn't mean Segway necessarily has to drop them, but it's just cheaper when mass-production is factored.
Are the Segways not produced this way already? Perhaps this meaning was meant for an even larger assembly line :).

I do agree with you, prices can't go any higher..

GlideMaster
11-25-2002, 10:13 PM
Well we have another future owner! Hodgepoj, you are the man of the hour with the most recent order placed, #8 on this site. Don't forget to enter the contest.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

TLane
11-26-2002, 07:28 PM
Segway just called... Going to New Hampshire!

:-o

Cube128
11-26-2002, 07:37 PM
TLane, you won? Nice... do tell us all about it.

Casey
11-26-2002, 07:39 PM

Congratulations. Now if a few more win you can have a SegwayChat reunion at Deans house.

Brooster
11-26-2002, 07:45 PM
Congrats T Lane! Great to hear we have a winner!

Brooster

Blinky
11-26-2002, 08:29 PM
TLane writes,
quote:Segway just called... Going to New Hampshire!

So soon? Congrats on your purchase and luck in the NH pool. You have to let us know how that goes.

GlideMaster
11-26-2002, 08:38 PM
Congrats, glad to hear one of our group has made it. Enjoy the ride.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

TLane writes,
quote:Segway just called... Going to New Hampshire!

So soon? Congrats on your purchase and luck in the NH pool. You have to let us know how that goes.

Brooster
11-26-2002, 08:46 PM

Congratulations. Now if a few more win you can have a SegwayChat reunion at Deans house.

That'd be a neat thing Casey, but I suspect that the winners will be accommodated in smaller groups, at different times.

T Lane, when will you be going? I'm really excited that we've had a winner in the group! That's awesome news!

Brooster

TLane
11-26-2002, 09:01 PM
Sorry for hit & run. I'll post more after I confirm rezzies W/Segway.

T Lane

4Seg
11-26-2002, 09:15 PM
T Lane Congrats!!! Wow! What luck! (and talent for a good essay of course)

Team, Does Frank know this? Wouldn't IT be great if we could all go somehow; to finally to meet the people behind the tube and the mouse on the other end and also the Segway LLC group?

TLane, I'm excited for you! Keep us posted!

Mike
http://www.stlsegway.com
Yahoo: stlsegway

Brooster
11-26-2002, 09:29 PM

Sorry for hit & run. I'll post more after I confirm rezzies W/Segway.

T Lane

Cool! Thanks-- [8D]

Brooster

steve1501
11-26-2002, 09:44 PM
T Lane - congratulations on being selected as a winner of the dinner with Dean as well as being the first one on the block with a Segway (ok, a really big block. I am new to the forum and put in my deposit on November 18th with the opening bell. Lets see, with T Lane winning the first slot of a trip to New Hampshire, everyone should remember that there are 29 left. And whether you win or lose the contest, it is neat simply to be a part of history as an early adopter.

Steve

Brooster
11-26-2002, 09:50 PM
Hey Steve, good opening post, and welcome to the board. You're buyer number 9 confirmed among our group. Where ya from?

We don't know that T Lane was winner #1 (I suspect there are 5 or 6 by now), but you're right ... there are plenty of chances left! Keep those fingers crossed! Mine are! Kinda hard to type that way, though ... :)

Brooster

4Seg
11-26-2002, 10:51 PM
Steve1501,
Welcome! Hope you enjoy your visits to SegwayChat.com, I know I have. Some of us have been around for quite a while. This is a moment we have all waited for.

Happy to hear about your purchase. Hey, by the way, what time in the day did you purchase yours?

Mike

steve1501
11-27-2002, 12:04 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind welcome. I am from Nashville, which is the home of country music and America's team - the Tennessee Titans (well, that should stir the cauldron a bit). To answer Mike's question, I logged on to Amazon as soon as I got out of court and learned that the units are being marketed. About 10 seconds later, I placed my deposit. By the way, has anyone logged on to Ebay and noticed that people are trying to resell units and copying Amazon's info. Fortunately, there have been no takers because anyone knowledgeable to want a Segway is knowledgeable enough to know where to get one.

Steve

Brooster
11-27-2002, 01:53 AM
Thanks Steve ... you'll enjoy the ride ... the i-Series is a great machine.

Yeah, the eBay thing is pretty unbelieveable. If someone from Segway were to notify eBay, they'd probably shut that down immediately.

Brooster

Blinky
11-27-2002, 02:37 AM
Brooster writes,
quote:Yeah, the eBay thing is pretty unbelieveable. If someone from Segway were to notify eBay, they'd probably shut that down immediately.
It seems as though these people selling the Segway's are trying to get lucky and sell one to someone who has no clue about the web, but knew enough to find themselves to Ebay, and make some money with it.

Not sure if Ebay should say anything unless Amazon or Segway LLC for what ever reason asks them to do so.

Brooster
11-27-2002, 04:18 AM
Look at the read count for this thread! 1410 as I write this. You can't tell me people aren't interested!

Brooster

steve1501
11-27-2002, 10:30 AM
Brooster: The thread count is impressive, but the better indicator would be the sales count from Amazon. I wish that Amazon would post a counter showing the number of units sold. That would be the true measure of interest.

Steve

n/a
11-27-2002, 12:18 PM
Congrats T-lane, how about submitting a copy of your winning letter here? It would be interesting to see what it took.

Casey
11-27-2002, 02:10 PM
Excerpts From the First Winning Entries:
quote:
"My father-in-law is the kindest, most generous man I've ever met. He wants nothing, yet he loves to give and see others happy. He is fascinated by the Segway's ingenious design, never dreaming of owning one! November 26 is his birthday—this seems like the perfect gift."
- Marlene Sanders, daughter-in-law of Norman Sanders, Jacksonville, Fla.

"The Segway HT is an extension of body and mind—reacting smoothly to move you elegantly. Maintain an upright balance while controlling ballet-like movements with cues that are invisible, undetectable. Arrive un-winded, exhilarated. It is the 'ascent of man' from invertebrate to primate to biped to Segway!"
- Ezra Goldman, Naperville, Ill.

"My dream... Gliding effortlessly onto the sidewalk, crowded with commuters. Someone calls my name and I turn on a dime to see a neighbor who looks out of breath. He says he's running late for work. I smile. Their way, the old way. My way, Segway."
- Michael Osver, Washington, D.C

n/a
11-27-2002, 03:12 PM

quote:
"My father-in-law is the kindest, most generous man I've ever met. He wants nothing, yet he loves to give and see others happy. He is fascinated by the Segway's ingenious design, never dreaming of owning one! November 26 is his birthday—this seems like the perfect gift."

"The Segway HT is an extension of body and mind—reacting smoothly to move you elegantly. Maintain an upright balance while controlling ballet-like movements with cues that are invisible, undetectable. Arrive un-winded, exhilarated. It is the 'ascent of man' from invertebrate to primate to biped to Segway!"

"My dream... Gliding effortlessly onto the sidewalk, crowded with commuters. Someone calls my name and I turn on a dime to see a neighbor who looks out of breath. He says he's running late for work. I smile. Their way, the old way. My way, Segway."

Somebody really loves her father-in-law. She deserves to win for that alone.[:p]

Where are the others guys and gals?

GlideMaster
11-27-2002, 03:29 PM
Brooster this almost sounds like how you received yours. Lady Broo really loves you, maybe your early trip is coming. Hope so.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by Lawrence

quote:

Somebody really loves her father-in-law. She deserves to win for that alone.[:p]

Where are the others guys and gals?

Brooster
11-27-2002, 07:30 PM
Yep, that'd be nice Weskifm, but so far our phone's not ringin'.

:)

Brooster

GlideMaster
11-27-2002, 07:38 PM
Well Brooster, I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that, whether I get it now or in March, I'll be happy as long as I know I'll have it soon.

Who knows maybe the King of Balance will Mave Mercy on Us and let us get them even sooner than March.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

Brooster
11-27-2002, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I'm kinda resigning myself to that too, Weski. We'll get 'em eventually ... you and I were in the game on the first day, so I can't see it being much later than March.

:)

Brooster

hodgepoj
11-27-2002, 10:40 PM

What contest? Apparently there's a contest to get invited to dinner in New Hampshire. What am I missing?

I placed my order with Amazon on 20 November. Whwn I received confirmation from Segway the next day they told me about a contest to get delivery before Christmas. I sent in a short essay to enter that one.

Dr. Paul O. Johnson
Senior Exhibit Developer
The Science Place
Dallas, Texas 75210

GlideMaster
11-27-2002, 10:45 PM
Dr there should have been a link with you confirmation to take you to the Segway.com site to enter the contest. Check your confirmation.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by hodgepoj

What contest? Apparently there's a contest to get invited to dinner in New Hampshire. What am I missing?

I placed my order with Amazon on 20 November. Whwn I received confirmation from Segway the next day they told me about a contest to get delivery before Christmas. I sent in a short essay to enter that one.

Dr. Paul O. Johnson
Senior Exhibit Developer
The Science Place
Dallas, Texas 75210

Brooster
11-27-2002, 11:36 PM
Dr. J, the "contest code" should have come to you in a separate e-mail. There'll be a link to the contest site in that e-mail, and that's where you have to enter your essay. If that's where you submitted your essay, you're entered. The dinner with Dean is part of that "early delivery" program. You can read about the whole deal by clicking the contest link from either the Amazon page or from Segway's home site, segway.com. Good luck!

Broo

Brooster

Blinky
11-28-2002, 02:08 AM
For the people who bought the Segway and submitted the 75 word essay towards the contest, I think it would be great if you could share those with us when the whole thing is over.

That is if some of you would not mind doing so.

GlideMaster
11-28-2002, 03:21 PM
Not a bad idea; eventually.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

For the people who bought the Segway and submitted the 75 word essay towards the contest, I think it would be great if you could share those with us when the whole thing is over.

That is if some of you would not mind doing so.

hodgepoj
11-28-2002, 04:17 PM

Dr. J, the "contest code" should have come to you in a separate e-mail. There'll be a link to the contest site in that e-mail, and that's where you have to enter your essay. If that's where you submitted your essay, you're entered. The dinner with Dean is part of that "early delivery" program. You can read about the whole deal by clicking the contest link from either the Amazon page or from Segway's home site, segway.com. Good luck!

Brooster

Well, I went back and looked and you're right, mostly. I hadn't noticed it the first time around but the training for contest winners is in N.H. with Segway picking up the tab for airfare and lodging. But I could find no mention of a dinner with Dean. Which one do you consider to be more valuable, training or dinner w/ Dean?

Dr. Paul O. Johnson
Senior Exhibit Developer
The Science Place
Dallas, Texas 75210

RAG1247
11-28-2002, 05:46 PM
Well I did it again. On the 18th I ordered one and last night I ordered a second unit and am awaiting the email with the contest code for the second purchase. Maybe I can be more creative in my writing this time.

I may be forced to start robbing 7-11's to pay for both and it will mean many trips to each store since they say they only keep $500 in cash out of the vault!

It seems to me that it will be a lot more fun traveling in pairs. I only hope that I can train my 3 year old yellow lab to ride the second unit!

My guess is they have already picked the second set of three winners, leaving 24 spaces remaining. Good luck to all (and to me).

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Casey
11-28-2002, 05:59 PM
Our first double Segwayer. If your lab won't ride it I'm sure we can find some volunteers to help you out of your dilemma.

Brooster
11-29-2002, 03:01 AM
Well, I went back and looked and you're right, mostly. I hadn't noticed it the first time around but the training for contest winners is in N.H. with Segway picking up the tab for airfare and lodging. But I could find no mention of a dinner with Dean. Which one do you consider to be more valuable, training or dinner w/ Dean?

Hi Dr. J., Happy Thanksgiving.

Right in the contest info it mentions a catered dinner at Dean's estate. That's not to say every winner is guaranteed Dean's actually being there (I'm sure he has other commitments from time-to-time), but I do get the idea that Dean is genuinely interested in meeting and getting to know Segway's very first group of owners.

As far as which is more valuable to me--the four-hour training or dinner with Dean--that's an easy one for me to answer.

I've already been through a very cursory training session with Eric Fleming from Segway, when I rode the i-Series at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry last June. While it certainly wasn't the full-blown four-hour course (which I think will be very valuable), if I had to ... I could probably teach myself at this point. Segway training will be an ongoing affair, available in many areas.

A chance to actually sit down and visit with Mr. Kamen, however, would be perhaps a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Broo

Brooster

Brooster
11-29-2002, 03:08 AM
Rags makes it a deuce! Double congrats!

Lady Broo and I will take turns switching off between the Segway and a bike ... but you'll have the real "double meal deal." Nice!

Brooster

GlideMaster
11-29-2002, 08:41 AM
That's the way to go Rags, you know what they say; two Segways are better than one. I hope the Lab can keep up. Will the battery run out of energy first or the Lab? Enjoy!

<center>REMEMBER:
and

emanresu
11-29-2002, 10:13 AM
Just placed my order this morning- Friday.

emanresu
11-29-2002, 10:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by emanresu

I wonder how long I have to wait to get the code number so I can enter the contest???

GlideMaster
11-29-2002, 11:42 AM
Congratulations emanresu,

You may get it on the same day or at least the next day if all goes with out a hitch. Some people have had to wait a day or two. I got mine a few hours after I placed the order.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

I wonder how long I have to wait to get the code number so I can enter the contest???

steve1501
11-29-2002, 11:44 AM
Emanresu- I placed my order on the 18th, and it took a day or so to get my contest code.

Steve

emanresu
11-29-2002, 11:52 AM
Thanks a bunch!

Brooster
11-29-2002, 04:10 PM
Congrats Username-spelled-backwards! The contest code will come in a separate e-mail from Amazon, that may come as late as 48 hours after your order. In that e-mail (It was like the third e-mail we received?)there will be a link to the Segway contest site, and your contest code will already be a part of the URL.

Hopefully after you enter your 75-word essay, you won't get a message saying "Invalid Contest Code" like we did. I know that happened to at least one other person. It's frustrating to wait that long and enter your essay only to have that message pop up!

Segway was quick to respond to the problem, and we were able to get the code to work the next day. Good luck!

Brooster

emanresu
11-29-2002, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the info, very informative.

J10
11-29-2002, 11:42 PM
I'm in. :)

Ya that's right, I'm back.

Brooster
11-30-2002, 12:38 AM
Congrats J10! Welcome ta da club! Be sure to sign into the roll call thread so that 4Seg can get you entered on our owners' list.

Broo

Brooster

Blinky
11-30-2002, 03:19 PM
It would be fair for me to say 'Congrats' to you also J10, as I did for the other buyers [8D]

Good luck in that essay contest.

GlideMaster
11-30-2002, 03:44 PM
Congrats J10, welcome in.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

GlideMaster
11-30-2002, 09:26 PM
It would be nice if we could get some of the contest winners to become part of SegwayChat. Come forth and share your training experiences with the members of SegChat.

<center>WILL THE REAL WINNERS PLEASE STEP FORWARD AND BE RECOGNIZED!</center>

<center>REMEMBER:
and

Blinky
12-01-2002, 04:35 AM
Don't worry Weskifm, they will come when they are ready ;)

GlideMaster
12-01-2002, 01:25 PM
Hi Blinky,

It seems the word Segway should be synanamous with the word patience.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

Don't worry Weskifm, they will come when they are ready ;)

cosmo
12-02-2002, 12:54 AM
Placed my order on 11/28!

Brooster
12-02-2002, 01:08 AM
Great Cosmo, congrats and welcome!

Please be sure to provide your info for our "Owners' Roll Call" thread, where we're trying to keep track of the number of purchasers, the times of their order confirmations, where they live, etc.

Brooster

GlideMaster
12-02-2002, 07:04 PM
Hi Cosmo,

Just wanted to welcome you on board and wish you good luck on your essay to Segway.
<center>
REMEMBER:
and

flashgoirl
12-02-2002, 11:56 PM
Hi hi. I'm one of the early winners. Just returned from NH last night and am still overwhelmed by the fabulous experience. I'm counting the minutes until my Segway arrives.

Stats: I'm in Seattle, WA and plan to use it for neighborhood transportation - and at some point perhaps even communiting to work. My bus "stop" is about 8 miles away and it would be awesome to Segway to it and then pop it on the bus with me. I'm def. not locking it up at the bike stand ;)

I'm enjoying reading all of your posts and although I'm new to this site, I've been following Segway news since last year's announcement. Hope to continue following the adventures of other new owners.

Cheers!
Beth

"When buying dog toys one must always consider the delicate balance between fluff and squeak." - pt

Blinky
12-03-2002, 12:00 AM
Welcome flashgoirl,

Don't forget to post in this thread http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=536. They are keeping track of all the buyer members..

congrats on your purchase!

flashgoirl
12-03-2002, 12:19 AM
Thanks Blinky! Perhaps some of you veterans can help me out. My Segway (still thinking of a name for it) should arrive this week and I plan on taking lots of pics. Is there a way to apply to have a member photo album for this site?

Thanks!

"When buying dog toys one must always consider the delicate balance between fluff and squeak." - pt

GlideMaster
12-03-2002, 12:38 AM
Congrats flashgoirl and welcome aboard.
You can probably go to members in the top right corner next to search and click on member ftropea and send him an email explaining what you want to do.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by flashgoirl

Thanks Blinky! Perhaps some of you veterans can help me out. My Segway (still thinking of a name for it) should arrive this week and I plan on taking lots of pics. Is there a way to apply to have a member photo album for this site?

Thanks!

Casey
12-03-2002, 12:44 AM

Thanks!

Click on the "ContactUs" button at the top right of this page and tell Frank what you have in mind. He is the site administrator.

ftropea
12-03-2002, 01:02 AM
flashgoirl,

Welcome to SegwayChat! We're glad to have you as a member.

May I ask how you found this site? Was it through a web search or did someone tell 'ya about it?

Regarding that photo album... when you get those pics - let me know and I'll create an album account for you.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

flashgoirl
12-03-2002, 02:22 AM
Found it through Google (who other than my husband is the love of my life)! I sure will let you know - we're planning on having an unpacking party - first charge party - first ride party - etc... etc... etc...

n/a
12-03-2002, 03:03 PM
Congrats, and welcome Beth.

quote:My Segway (still thinking of a name for it)

U might want to call it flywheel. U have to have been on TIQ for a while to understand why.

GlideMaster
12-03-2002, 06:39 PM

Found it through Google (who other than my husband is the love of my life)! I sure will let you know - we're planning on having an unpacking party - first charge party - first ride party - etc... etc... etc...

Hi flashgoirl,

Speaking of having a party! Ain't no party like a Segway party cause a Segway party don't stop.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

Blinky
12-03-2002, 08:55 PM
flashgoirl writes,
quote:Found it through Google (who other than my husband is the love of my life)! I sure will let you know - we're planning on having an unpacking party - first charge party - first ride party - etc... etc... etc...
It sounds like you and your family will have a ton of fun when you do. It is going to take you 6hrs normally to charge the Segway-HT battery. I wonder if you have to make the initial charge a little longer than the 6 hours the first time using the Segway. I guess you can fill us in when you do get it.

Details of the Segway's instructions would be great. Please keep us informed.

flashgoirl
12-03-2002, 09:08 PM
Hey guys - so the first charge is 12 hours. I'm taking the day off to sit and watch it charge - how strange is that? After the initial charge, then it is only 6 hours for a full charge on full depletion. The good news is there is no impact on the battery memory to do spot charges - so it's recommended that you leave the machine plugged in when not using it....

Pics will follow in the next couple of days - I promise!

Casey
12-03-2002, 09:12 PM
flashgoirl,

How about letting us know if the number on your poster corresponds in any way with the serial number on your new Segway.

Thanks.

Edit: I found the answer in another thread.

GlideMaster
12-03-2002, 09:13 PM
Hi Blinky and Flashgoirl,

Charge batteries for at least a full 12 hours before your first use. Subsequent recharges will take 6 hours or less.

Per the Book of Seg, ah, and a good book it is.

But I must admit that when I first received the one I ride, I did not see the Preliminary User Matrerials booklet at first and just took the Segway out of the box and started riding after adjusting the Control Shaft. I'm sorry but I did not know at first. I guess I just got too excited.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

Segway, The Mind Changer </center>

flashgoirl writes,
quote:Found it through Google (who other than my husband is the love of my life)! I sure will let you know - we're planning on having an unpacking party - first charge party - first ride party - etc... etc... etc...
It sounds like you and your family will have a ton of fun when you do. It is going to take you 6hrs normally to charge the Segway-HT battery. I wonder if you have to make the initial charge a little longer than the 6 hours the first time using the Segway. I guess you can fill us in when you do get it.

Details of the Segway's instructions would be great. Please keep us informed.

hodgepoj
12-03-2002, 10:17 PM

You're a goldmine of information, weskifm. So who wrote the Book of Seg and where is it available?

Dr. Paul O. Johnson
Senior Exhibit Developer
The Science Place
Dallas, Texas 75210

GlideMaster
12-04-2002, 12:16 AM
Hodgepoj,

You should get the Book of Seg when you get your training.

The Book of Seg is really called the Basic Rider Optimization Training for the Segway (tm) Human Transporter (HT)
Participant Workbook

And so it is written so it is done.

Also the King of Balance or the Dean of Balance(if you haven't figured it out yet) is none other than Dean Kamen.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

You're a goldmine of information, weskifm. So who wrote the Book of Seg and where is it available?

Dr. Paul O. Johnson
Senior Exhibit Developer
The Science Place
Dallas, Texas 75210

Dr. Paul O. Johnson
Senior Exhibit Developer
The Science Place
Dallas, Texas 75210

axiotek
12-04-2002, 02:31 PM
I think I've finally decided to place an order despite the ambiguity of the law in MA. I'll let you know what my poster number is. Thanks for the great site.

GlideMaster
12-04-2002, 10:20 PM
Welcome aboard axiotek, I'm sure you will not regret your purchase.

<center>Have Seg Will Travel</center>

<center>REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by axiotek

I think I've finally decided to place an order despite the ambiguity of the law in MA. I'll let you know what my poster number is. Thanks for the great site.

GlideMaster
12-06-2002, 11:40 PM
Welcome aboard greenbean, I'm sure you will not regret your purchase.

<center>Have Seg Will Travel

REMEMBER:
and

Brooster
12-07-2002, 03:28 AM
I thought I was the the one who first said "Ahh, the Book of Seg ... and a good book it is."

?

Oh well, no big deal ... it's not like it's gonna make a difference ...

Brooster

GlideMaster
12-07-2002, 09:11 PM
Brooster are we still waiting? You and I have written so much on this site I don't know what I've said. Now you've got me wondering. I have to go back and look.
But who ever, it must have been a good saying cause pt ran with it.
But like you said, no problem we just want our Segway. By the way did you notice all of the Segways in the background of the training facility? Whats the hold up?

REMEMBER:
and
Segway Riders Ride Respopnsibly

I thought I was the the one who first said "Ahh, the Book of Seg ... and a good book it is."

?

Oh well, no big deal ... it's not like it's gonna make a difference ...

Brooster

Blinky
12-07-2002, 09:35 PM
Well who ever said it first can now relax because it was bought Dec 4th and nobody claimed it before that.

Its a catchy name too. Can you guys think of any more? ;)

Brooster
12-07-2002, 10:24 PM
LOL ... A little "phrase borrowing" never hurt anyone ... it's all good.

Weskifm, I'm a little behind on my reading, having been away from home for job training last week. Was there a picture of the training facility?

Edit: Ooooh! I just found what you were talking about! PT has done an incredible job.

Broo

Brooster

pt
12-08-2002, 12:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by weskifmBrooster are we still waiting? You and I have written so much on this site I don't know what I've said. Now you've got me wondering. I have to go back and look.But who ever, it must have been a good saying cause pt ran with it. But like you said, no problem we just want our Segway. By the way did you notice all of the Segways in the background of the training facility? Whats the hold up?

i never visited this site until my wife told me about when we got back. during my training i just called the book "book of seg" and thought it was funny, when i got back and saw it here as well, seemed perfect. wes, woo if you want your_name_here@bookofseg.com email addresses email me privately.

ya'll have been great, i'm really happy to be part of this community.

more pics and video coming soon too ;-]

cheers,
pt

http://www.bookofseg.com

Brooster
12-08-2002, 12:26 AM
We're happy to have you here, pt! You lucky dawg! :)

Brooster

GlideMaster
12-08-2002, 05:58 PM
pt I sent that email. I was looking closely at the background in some of your pictures. It looked like they may have had a few hundred new Segs just sitting. Am I correct?

REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by pt

quote:Originally posted by weskifmBrooster are we still waiting? You and I have written so much on this site I don't know what I've said. Now you've got me wondering. I have to go back and look.But who ever, it must have been a good saying cause pt ran with it. But like you said, no problem we just want our Segway. By the way did you notice all of the Segways in the background of the training facility? Whats the hold up?

i never visited this site until my wife told me about when we got back. during my training i just called the book "book of seg" and thought it was funny, when i got back and saw it here as well, seemed perfect. wes, woo if you want your_name_here@bookofseg.com email addresses email me privately.

ya'll have been great, i'm really happy to be part of this community.

more pics and video coming soon too ;-]

cheers,
pt

pt
12-08-2002, 08:09 PM

pt I sent that email. I was looking closely at the background in some of your pictures. It looked like they may have had a few hundred new Segs just sitting. Am I correct?

you are correct :-]

cheers,
pt

BBBix
12-08-2002, 10:42 PM
Whay do they have all of those segs just sittin' there? Just for looks? Or are they all of the ones for those who ordered them on amazon?

Bill B.

pt
12-08-2002, 11:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by BBBixWhay do they have all of those segs just sittin' there? Just for looks? Or are they all of the ones for those who ordered them on amazon?Bill B.

if you're a biz customer, you can get them now, perhaps that is what it is for.

cheers,
pt

BBBix
12-09-2002, 12:31 AM
I would tend to think that they would ship them un-assembleld (as they did for you). If this is the case, then it would seem odd that they would have all of them there assembleld. There is a photo at the bottom of the page (http://www.segway.com/shop ) that has a computer generated picture like what was in your viedo. I wonder if there is any relation.... It looked like there were none missing from the pile of them (or were there? correct me if I am wrong). This would make me think that if they were being sold to business customers, there would be some missing.

Just a few thoughts,
Bill B.

GlideMaster
12-09-2002, 12:39 AM
pt it is great to have you on board. I guess you say why is that? Because that means I get a rest from some of the questions. Good luck. Now I can give my Book of Seg a rest. But don't get me wrong. I enjoy sharing most of my knowledge and experiences on the Seg. [8D]

REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by BBBixWhay do they have all of those segs just sittin' there? Just for looks? Or are they all of the ones for those who ordered them on amazon?Bill B.

if you're a biz customer, you can get them now, perhaps that is what it is for.

cheers,
pt

Brooster
12-09-2002, 02:05 AM

I would tend to think that they would ship them un-assembleld (as they did for you). If this is the case, then it would seem odd that they would have all of them there assembleld. There is a photo at the bottom of the page (http://www.segway.com/shop ) that has a computer generated picture like what was in your viedo. I wonder if there is any relation.... It looked like there were none missing from the pile of them (or were there? correct me if I am wrong). This would make me think that if they were being sold to business customers, there would be some missing.

Just a few thoughts,
Bill B.

The interesting thing about your above-referenced shot ... those aren't i-Series Segs.

Brooster

BBBix
12-09-2002, 02:22 AM
Yeah, they are p-series on the segway site and i-series in the viedo. Maybe every FIRST team will get one for free (my fingers are crossed). Maybe they are for the winnig team at nationals (all the reason to do better).

;)

A hopeful FIRST member,
Bill B.

Casey
12-09-2002, 08:32 AM
quote: Segway™ HT i and e Series models are also available immediately to commercial and business customers.

I think that would be the answer.

Brooster
12-09-2002, 09:11 AM
I'm not sure I'm following your point, Casey. Yes, the i and e-Series models are available to business clients. And the i-Series, as we know, is available to you and me for a limited time through Amazon. Why then, is the p-Series (which has never been available to anyone) pictured with red holiday bows? I'm not sure what your answer was in reference to, but that was my question. :)

Brooster

axiotek
12-09-2002, 01:18 PM

Whay do they have all of those segs just sittin' there? Just for looks? Or are they all of the ones for those who ordered them on amazon?

Bill B.

A Boston Globe biz article a week ago Sunday featured a similar large photo showing a QA employee riding one with a caption suggesting a queue for testing purposes. My guess is that they are assembled, tested and then disassemble for shipping, likely scenario.

steve1501
12-09-2002, 03:29 PM
Brooster - Please give the uneducated (like me) a brief explanation of the differences between the p, i, and e class of Segway.

Steve

Casey
12-09-2002, 03:57 PM

I'm not sure I'm following your point, Casey. Yes, the i and e-Series models are available to business clients. And the i-Series, as we know, is available to you and me for a limited time through Amazon. Why then, is the p-Series (which has never been available to anyone) pictured with red holiday bows? I'm not sure what your answer was in reference to, but that was my question. :)

Brooster

What I was saying is that I think all those "excess" Segways are destined for commercial and industrial clients.

The Christmas bows can simply be that they wanted a Christmas picture and there sat all those Segways just waiting for a cameraman. It doesn't necessarily indicate that those units are for consumers, and I don't think they are.

BruceWright
12-09-2002, 05:30 PM
The P-series picture on the Segway site isn't a photograph. It's a cg-rendering with an image of a christmas bow photoshopped onto it.

http://www.segway.com/shop/

This is not an indication that they are producing P's in mass quantities.

GlideMaster
12-09-2002, 06:59 PM
To be as brief as possible the e-Series Segway has an electronick kickstand and can be left unattended and will stand by itself while still on.
The i-Sereis Segway only has a Mechanical Kickstand or Parking Stand and will not stand by itself.

I would quote the Book of Seg, Ahh and a good book it is, but I've done that before somewhere on the site in one of the topics.

REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by steve1501

Brooster - Please give the uneducated (like me) a brief explanation of the differences between the p, i, and e class of Segway.

Steve

GlideMaster
12-09-2002, 08:00 PM
Well Brooster since you have not received your print for placing your order I've got an idea. Maybe I can get it copied for you. I know a few places that might have the capabilities. Then their's always work. Ooops copyright infringement. Just a thought.

REMEMBER:
and

Blinky
12-09-2002, 08:12 PM
Brooster,

I would call Segway's help line, if they have one, about you not getting your poster. It has been enough time in between your order date to now to have recieved it already.

You may sound a little impatient to Segway in doing so, but atleast you will have some peace of mind finding out what is going on.

axiotek
12-09-2002, 08:32 PM

To be as brief as possible the e-Series Segway has an electronick kickstand and can be left unattended and will stand by itself while still on.
The i-Sereis Segway only has a Mechanical Kickstand or Parking Stand and will not stand by itself.

Why is this westifm other than they wanted a slightly different model for different uses? Why would they not incorporate the self-standing unattended in the i-series. Does it consume more power?

GlideMaster
12-09-2002, 09:05 PM
Well axiotek one reason may be that the e-series because of it's self balancing capabilities while unattended cost a lot more. Why spend 5g more if you don't need that particular function.

REMEMBER:
and

Why is this westifm other than they wanted a slightly different model for different uses? Why would they not incorporate the self-standing unattended in the i-series. Does it consume more power?

Brooster
12-09-2002, 09:30 PM
Thanks Casey, for the clarification.

Weskifm and Blinky, I'm not all that worried about the poster, to be honest with you. It's still not here, and yes, it's been a while since November 18. I'll call someone if it's not here in another week or so. I'd like to have it, but I'd like to have the real thing a lot more ... if ya know what I mean. :)

Steve1501, the i-Series is the one we're buying, and which a few of us have been lucky enough to ride. The e-Series is very similar to the i-Series, but a bit beefier (caries another 75 pounds) and accommodates front and side cargo bags. It's the one the postal service has been testing. As Weskifm said, it has a self-balancing feature referred to as "e-Stand." The p-Series is a bit smaller, has lower ground clearance, and is distinguishable by not only its low ground clearance but by it's solid "disc" wheels. It's the p (for "personal," one would assume) that was widely expected to be the model released to consumers; indeed, it likely will be at some point.

It was actually a bit of a pleasant surprise to many of us, when Segway announced that the first sale would indeed be the i-Series ... which is what at least a few of us expressed a preference for here at SegChat.

Sorry, I'm a bit pinched for time, but those are the basic distinguishing features. There are pictures of all three on Segway's Web site.

Regards,
Broo

Brooster

axiotek
12-09-2002, 09:40 PM

it's self balancing capabilities while unattended cost a lot more. Why spend 5g more if you don't need that particular function.

yes, but isn't that just a software issue? Obviously the electronic kickstand is improved hardware feature, but the e-balancing - software? or some combination hardware/software. Can the i-series ever be upgraded to the e-series?

drucilla
12-10-2002, 01:44 AM
hi, I ordered my segway on Nov 19, and have gotten my poster. it is numbered 1001

mind if my segway and i pass?

GlideMaster
12-10-2002, 02:19 AM
Hi axiotek, no the e-series is not upgradable to the i-series. The e-series is as you indicate a combination of hardware and software.

REMEMBER:
and

it's self balancing capabilities while unattended cost a lot more. Why spend 5g more if you don't need that particular function.

yes, but isn't that just a software issue? Obviously the electronic kickstand is improved hardware feature, but the e-balancing - software? or some combination hardware/software. Can the i-series ever be upgraded to the e-series?

GlideMaster
12-10-2002, 02:31 AM
Hi drucilla, Welcome to the World of Seg, ahh and a good world it is. I ordered my Seg on the first day (18 Nov.) at 8:35 and have poster number 1050. Who knows how they numbered the posters. We know it wasen't according to when a person placed their order.
Yes you and your Seg may pass.

REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by drucilla

hi, I ordered my segway on Nov 19, and have gotten my poster. it is numbered 1001

mind if my segway and i pass?

Brooster
12-10-2002, 09:11 AM

Hi drucilla, Welcome to the World of Seg, ahh and a good world it is.

LOL! Ahhhh, the world of Seg!

Welcome, Drucilla. We're happy to have you here.

Brooster

Casey
12-10-2002, 11:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by BruceWright

The P-series picture on the Segway site isn't a photograph. It's a cg-rendering with an image of a christmas bow photoshopped onto it.

http://www.segway.com/shop/

This is not an indication that they are producing P's in mass quantities.

Maybe you're right, but this is from a Union Leader article.

quote:Inside the plant, about a quarter of the floor space is taken up by an agility course used in training. About 80 assembled Segways are roped into a square. Six are set aside with bows on them for the next early winner training class to use.

muckle
12-10-2002, 11:47 AM
Hey weskifm, are you familiar with 'crosskates'? It's supposed to be like skiiing - wondered if you knew anything about them. They look pretty cool, but expensive...

http://www.altskate.com/crosskate.htm

What do you think?

GlideMaster
12-10-2002, 12:00 PM
Hi muckle, I've seen the skates on TV but never tried them.
What I do is monoski. Check out the below site. You'll love the pictures.

http://www.usmonoski.org/id23.htm

<center>Ahhh The World of Seg, and a good world it is.</center>

REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by muckle

Hey weskifm, are you familiar with 'crosskates'? It's supposed to be like skiiing - wondered if you knew anything about them. They look pretty cool, but expensive...

http://www.altskate.com/crosskate.htm

What do you think?

GlideMaster
12-10-2002, 12:07 PM
Hi Jameskk, Welcome to the World of Seg, ahh and a good world it is. I'm like you I'm still waiting, although I am a current rider I just want my own.

<center>Ahhh The World of Seg, and a good world it is.

Have Seg Will Travel

REMEMBER:
and

Carl
12-10-2002, 02:14 PM

In order to self balance, a Segway must have a sufficiently high center of gravity. I think they deliberately added weight to the handlebars of the e-series Segway so that the center of gravity would be high enough for the electronic kickstand to work. (I think there was a FAQ on the Segway web site that asked whether the carrying bag or whatever could be removed from the e-series Segway; the response was no, that piece is required for the electronic kickstand.)

Maybe they didn't want to do this for the i-series because they thought people would be lifting them in and out of car trunks, etc., more often.

Jameskk
12-10-2002, 04:44 PM
I was in Atlanta a couple of months back and saw the electric stand in action (one of the Ambassador's had one).. it's very jerky when you first step off until it stabilizes but it's still kinda jerky while it keeps balanced.. personally I prefer the kickstand.. the electric stand is good for people who make frequent short stops like the postal service. Also, you must keep the bag attached for the kickstand to function (uses this as weight). Also, I saw one of them get onto a train with the segway and you must position the seg perpendicular to the movement of the train... otherwise you will fall flat on your face. The police officer demoed this to me when he steped off and when the train started moving the seg fell flat over because it was standing still yet the train was moving.. I guess it confuses the sensors too much. I hope they teach this is the Segway training classes, otherwise unsuspecting city segers will get on the train or subway and get seriously hurt. I also saw the police in Atlanta go up over sidewalks at least 6-8 inches high.. but once the segway came to the top of the sidewalk it had a severe whip back motion as it tries to regain balance and could be danagerous, but going down a 6-8 inch fall was not as much of a problem. Very versitile vehicle.

Weskifm - I assume your employer has the Segway?? Postal Service?

pt
12-10-2002, 04:58 PM
it sounds like the riders weren't following the training instructions. going over sidewalks, etc.. is covered in training and i can tell ya this, my segway has never "fallen" down and i commute with it everyday. as far as riding it on trains, i don't think that's a good idea for any form of wheeled locomotion, the rider should have stepped off.

i'll have more examples of just how stable it is on www.bookofseg.com shortly. i've taken it up and down the steepest hills in seattle, over all sorts of terrain that i wouldn't even walk on, it's more than impressive, it's amazing.

cheers,
pt

quote:Originally posted by Jameskk

I was in Atlanta a couple of months back and saw the electric stand in action (one of the Ambassador's had one).. it's very jerky when you first step off until it stabilizes but it's still kinda jerky while it keeps balanced.. personally I prefer the kickstand.. the electric stand is good for people who make frequent short stops like the postal service. Also, you must keep the bag attached for the kickstand to function (uses this as weight). Also, I saw one of them get onto a train with the segway and you must position the seg perpendicular to the movement of the train... otherwise you will fall flat on your face. The police officer demoed this to me when he steped off and when the train started moving the seg fell flat over because it was standing still yet the train was moving.. I guess it confuses the sensors too much. I hope they teach this is the Segway training classes, otherwise unsuspecting city segers will get on the train or subway and get seriously hurt. I also saw the police in Atlanta go up over sidewalks at least 6-8 inches high.. but once the segway came to the top of the sidewalk it had a severe whip back motion as it tries to regain balance and could be danagerous, but going down a 6-8 inch fall was not as much of a problem. Very versitile vehicle.

JosephM
12-10-2002, 05:05 PM
I WANT MORE STUFF PT!! But I still can't understand why it being on a train, monorail, bus would make it tip over. I think you would only go forward.

Visit our FIRST Help Boards at http://tucker.helix-designs.com//index.php !!

pt
12-10-2002, 05:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Joseph MI WANT MORE STUFF PT!! But I still can't understand why it being on a train, monorail, bus would make it tip over. I think you would only go forward.

you're correct, a train, monorail, bus, etc..while the rider is on would -not- cause any tipping, the unit would move 1-2 inches either way and if the rider wanted to even that could be avoided. but again, in those situations, i would step off, it seems the proper thing to do, but that's just me.

i think the poster is just try to ruffle folks.

cheers,
pt

Jameskk
12-10-2002, 05:22 PM
dudes - I am not making this up.. dang.. I am not a Seg basher.. I went to Atlanta just to try and see one of these... I went on a Disney Cruise just to try and ride one.. and I was one of the first to place my order!!!

I am just reporting what I saw!!!!!!!!!

When two of them got on the train.. one rider turned to face the door and the other told me to watch this and when the train started the segway went flying forward so fast that he grabbed an overhead handlebar and the seg fell and went sliding toward front of the empty train... when he went to pick it up it was going crazy until he turned it around facing the side of the train and stepped back on like the other rider. I guess the momentum from the train moving the center of gravy yet the floor not moving causes it the freak out, I don't know. But this is what I saw. I still think it is awesome. The Atlanta police liked them too.. well, at least one of them liked it.. the other officer said he liked the bike better because you can sit.

JosephM
12-10-2002, 05:30 PM
Ok, but I can't find the science behind it.? :-p

Visit our FIRST Help Boards at http://tucker.helix-designs.com//index.php !!

hodgepoj
12-10-2002, 06:15 PM

I can tell ya this, my segway has never "fallen" down and I commute with it everyday. As far as riding it on trains, I don't think that's a good idea for any form of wheeled locomotion, the rider should have stepped off.

Well now, that's an interesting view, pt. Not a good idea to ride any form of wheeled locomotion on a train? Why not, pray tell.

Dr. Paul O. Johnson
Senior Exhibit Developer
The Science Place
Dallas, Texas 75210

pt
12-10-2002, 06:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by hodgepojWell now, that's an interesting view, pt. Not a good idea to ride any form of wheeled locomotion on a train? Why not, pray tell.

maybe i'm a safety freak, but my personal choice would be to dismount from anything with wheels while in or on moving vehicles. that includes rollerblades, bikes, etc...when seats are available, i'd even sit down, if seat belts are available, i'll wear those too. but that's just me.

cheers,
pt

Jameskk
12-10-2002, 06:47 PM
I agree

Maybe they should teach this in the SegClass.

Link to Picture of Segs on an Atlanta train.. notice the position:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/09/12/coolsc.segway/index.html

pt - Love your website!

hodgepoj
12-10-2002, 06:52 PM

Well axiotek one reason may be that the e-series because of it's self balancing capabilities while unattended cost a lot more. Why spend 5g more if you don't need that particular function.

How much money is 5g?

Dr. Paul O. Johnson
Senior Exhibit Developer
The Science Place
Dallas, Texas 75210

Casey
12-10-2002, 07:28 PM
In common vernacular a g is a grand is $1000

GlideMaster
12-10-2002, 08:01 PM
Casey, did I miss something here?

Have Seg Will Travel

REMEMBER:
and

In common vernacular a g is a grand is $1000

Casey
12-10-2002, 08:10 PM
quote: Casey, did I miss something here?

I don't know. Give your definition of a g and we can compare notes.

GlideMaster
12-10-2002, 08:24 PM
Casey here is my definition.

"In common vernacular a g is a grand is $1000"

But then if you are a scientist or a dealer it could mean a gram.

Have Seg Will Travel

REMEMBER:
and

quote: Casey, did I miss something here?

I don't know. Give your definition of a g and we can compare notes.

RobbW
12-10-2002, 08:29 PM
I'm too excited for words and the adrenaline rush is still active from when I ordered about a week ago, but I guess I had better get over it because there is a loooooong way to go I fear before receipt.

Of course, I did enter the Segway Early Delivery contest but upon re-reading it, I think I'll be waiting until July. Probably August if bad prose counts for anything these days. ;) Only bad Vogon Poetry is worse than my essay.

RobbW (from disgustingly happy, smiley Santa Clarita CA)

GlideMaster
12-10-2002, 08:50 PM
Hi RobbW, welcome to The World of Seg. Enjoy the ride.

Have Seg Will Travel

REMEMBER:
and

axiotek
12-10-2002, 09:15 PM
RobbW, I'm with you. I received my poster today #2222 after ordering on 12/4. I guess that means I should face reality and accept that my hopes for winning the essay are nil. I am still burning with envy at the folks out there who have ridden. I cannot thank pt enough for giving me a virtual ride. When will they do a show and tell in Boston?

Brooster
12-10-2002, 09:54 PM
Nice poster number, Axiotec! I'd kinda like to actually receive ours one of these days ... we ordered on 11/18. Hopefully Segway will be holding events in all the major cities in the near future, but you may have your own ride by that time. Trust me, you'll like it. A lot.

Welcome aboard, RobbW!

Brooster

4Seg
12-10-2002, 09:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by RobbW

I'm too excited for words and the adrenaline rush is still active from when I ordered about a week ago, but I guess I had better get over it because there is a loooooong way to go I fear before receipt.

Of course, I did enter the Segway Early Delivery contest but upon re-reading it, I think I'll be waiting until July. Probably August if bad prose counts for anything these days. ;) Only bad Vogon Poetry is worse than my essay.

RobbW (from disgustingly happy, smiley Santa Clarita CA)

RobbW, welcome! hey, will you add yourself to the Owner's Roll Call? http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=536 Please read the first post. I'll update the post when you add your info.

Most everyone is on that list (I'm trying to keep it updated nightly).

Mike

Blinky
12-10-2002, 10:00 PM
Welcome and great to have you too axiotek!

- blinky

GlideMaster
12-10-2002, 10:02 PM
Hey Brooster, I think Axiotec should play the number 2222 in the lottery. It might pay for a couple of Segs.

It would be nice if Segway were to hold more events in some of the major cities. (Chicago) hint hint hint. I would like to see other people who have never ridden a Seg get a chance. Like I always say, Segway, The Mind Changer.

Have Seg Will Travel

REMEMBER:
and

Nice poster number, Axiotec! I'd kinda like to actually receive ours one of these days ... we ordered on 11/18. Hopefully Segway will be holding events in all the major cities in the near future, but you may have your own ride by that time. Trust me, you'll like it. A lot.

Welcome aboard, RobbW!

Brooster

Blinky
12-10-2002, 10:08 PM
Any suggestions to what numbers I should play to win me some money Weskifm? besides '2222' because I will play those tomorrow [:p]

GlideMaster
12-10-2002, 10:49 PM
Sorry Blinky, but you know what happened to the psychic Miss Cleo.

Have Seg Will Travel

REMEMBER:
and

Any suggestions to what numbers I should play to win me some money Weskifm? besides '2222' because I will play those tomorrow [:p]

RobbW
12-11-2002, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the welcome everyone - and I did update the roll call. =)

Maybe I'll be able to meet some of you in Los Angeles on the 17th? I have no idea where or when yet and Los Angeles tends to be sort of big but I'm sure we'll get all the details shortly. Something tells me it's not going to make me feel any better about waiting another 3-6 months. heh heh heh

That gives me an idea...see my new thread...

RobbW

GlideMaster
12-11-2002, 04:00 AM
Yes RobbW maybe you'll be able to meet some of us, but it'll have to be in Chicago in my case. That's where I glide often.

Enjoy the glide and try not to get too attached on the 17th.

Have Seg Will Travel

REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by RobbW

Thanks for the welcome everyone - and I did update the roll call. =)

Maybe I'll be able to meet some of you in Los Angeles on the 17th? I have no idea where or when yet and Los Angeles tends to be sort of big but I'm sure we'll get all the details shortly. Something tells me it's not going to make me feel any better about waiting another 3-6 months. heh heh heh

That gives me an idea...see my new thread...

RobbW

ftropea
12-11-2002, 12:27 PM
Weskifm wrote:

"Yes RobbW maybe you'll be able to meet some of us, but it'll have to be in Chicago in my case. That's where I glide often. Enjoy the glide and try not to get too attached on the 17th."

Excellent.. I really like that expression :)

That's another point for Weskifm.. Book of Seg, Enjoy the Glide - those are fun terms.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

GlideMaster
12-11-2002, 01:13 PM
Hi Frank, thanks for the points. Please tell me those points are redeemable toward receiving my Seg a little early or maybe even worth a few credits with Segway LLC toward being one of their Midwest trainers. Have Seg Will Travel

I guess I, like Segway LLC want the Seg to be global; thus
The World of Seg. from which all other elements have become a subset of that world. Some of those elements that have developed and become a subset of The World of Seg have been The Book of Seg, Enjoy The Glide, The Ambassadors of Glide and Segway, The Mind Changer. These elements and others past, present and future will continue to meld in order to keep The World of Seg whole. You and your site above all others has been the major orchestrator of The World of Seg. It is your continued efforts that will make the Glide Enjoyable. You along with those of us that presently glide and will be gliding in the future will be the true Ambassadors of Glide.

Have Seg Will Travel

REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by ftropea

Weskifm wrote:

"Yes RobbW maybe you'll be able to meet some of us, but it'll have to be in Chicago in my case. That's where I glide often. Enjoy the glide and try not to get too attached on the 17th."

Excellent.. I really like that expression :)

That's another point for Weskifm.. Book of Seg, Enjoy the Glide - those are fun terms.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Brooster
12-11-2002, 03:36 PM
Ahhh, and a good glide it is! :D

Brooster

GlideMaster
12-11-2002, 03:41 PM
Ambassador of the Glide Brooster why aren't you hard at work. Some people just devote all of their time to The World of Seg.

Have Seg Will Travel

REMEMBER:
and

Ahhh, and a good glide it is! :D

Brooster

GlideMaster
12-12-2002, 05:59 AM
Hi Jameskk, my employer does have Segways. The Postal Service does not have the Segway in Chicago. Enjoy The Glide

Have Seg Will Travel

REMEMBER:
and

\quote:Originally posted by Jameskk

GlideMaster
12-12-2002, 07:36 AM
Hi JWood, welcome to The World of Seg. Enjoy The Glide.

Have a safe trip and Glide one for those who have yet to Glide.

Have Seg Will Travel

REMEMBER:
and

GlideMaster
12-12-2002, 08:51 PM
Hi SidSway, welcome to The World of Seg. Enjoy The Glide.

Enjoy The Glide and When You Segway, May The Glide Be With You.

Have Seg Will Travel

REMEMBER:
and

Brooster
12-12-2002, 08:54 PM
Weskifm, I'm worryin' about you man, ... you're slipping into a bad case of Glide-itis! :)

Brooster

GlideMaster
12-12-2002, 09:10 PM
Hey Brooster you know how it is. Once you Glide the feeling can't be denined. I learned that from JJ??.

Enjoy The Glide and When You Segway, May The Glide Be With You.

Have Seg Will Travel

REMEMBER:
and

Weskifm, I'm worryin' about you man, ... you're slipping into a bad case of Glide-itis! :)

Brooster

Blinky
12-12-2002, 09:14 PM
Don't tell me 'JJ' from the show "Good Times".

GlideMaster
12-12-2002, 09:58 PM
No Blinky, there you go trying to play baseball with the brown bombers.

<center>Enjoy The Glide and When You Segway, May The Glide Be With You.

Ahhh The World of Seg, and a good world it is.

Have Seg Will Travel
REMEMBER:
and

Don't tell me 'JJ' from the show "Good Times".

Blinky
12-12-2002, 11:55 PM
quote:No Blinky, there you go trying to play baseball with the brown bombers.

I didn't mean anything bad by that. I was just wondering who "JJ" was.

Casey
12-13-2002, 08:28 AM
The only JJ I can think of was a tall black kid on a comedy show. But I don't remember what show. Why so sensitive Weskifm? If you don't want us to guess how about telling us who you were referring to as JJ.

PS: I just talked to my wife about it, she's kind of a TV fanatic, and she says he was on Good Times and had a phrase "dynomite" that he used a lot. Other than him I can't come up with any other JJ. It must be someone you know that isn't in the public light.

Brooster
12-13-2002, 09:30 AM
Ooops! Double post ... haven't done that one in a while ... sorry!

Brooster
12-13-2002, 09:32 AM

Hey Brooster you know how it is. Once you Glide the feeling can't be denied.

Hey there Weski, happy Friday! I've been thinkin' about it, and I'm not sure which I know better at this point ... how it is, or how it isn't!! Ya know what I mean? :) [8]

Have a great weekend.
Broo

Brooster

ron
12-13-2002, 09:48 AM
Hi all Ron, From Falls Church, Va...The next 3/4 months is going to kill me....I hear the del. date may be soomer...then posted???

Poster #2319

4Seg
12-13-2002, 10:03 AM
Ron congrats! If you haven't already, please check out the "Owner's Roll Call"

Merry Christmas!

GlideMaster
12-13-2002, 11:19 AM
Hi Casey, it's not so much sensitivity just years of wisdom. Check your e-mail.

Have Seg Will Travel
REMEMBER:
and

The only JJ I can think of was a tall black kid on a comedy show. But I don't remember what show. Why so sensitive Weskifm? If you don't want us to guess how about telling us who you were referring to as JJ.

PS: I just talked to my wife about it, she's kind of a TV fanatic, and she says he was on Good Times and had a phrase "dynomite" that he used a lot. Other than him I can't come up with any other JJ. It must be someone you know that isn't in the public light.

GlideMaster
12-13-2002, 05:40 PM
Hi Ron, sorry for the delayed welcome, but just wanted to welcome you to The World of Seg. Enjoy The Glide.

Have Seg Will Travel
REMEMBER:
and

steve1501
12-13-2002, 08:01 PM
I would love an earlier delivery date if possible, but I understand that Segway is not going put someone in the queue for shipping until after he/she has attended training. I called Segway, and they said that we should start getting our training dates after the first of the year.

Steve

GlideMaster
12-13-2002, 08:10 PM
So all I have to say is queue me I've had the training months ago.[8D]:):D[8D]:):D[8D]:):D[8D]:):D[8D]:):D

Have Seg Will Travel
REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by steve1501

I would love an earlier delivery date if possible, but I understand that Segway is not going put someone in the queue for shipping until after he/she has attended training. I called Segway, and they said that we should start getting our training dates after the first of the year.

Steve

Blinky
12-13-2002, 08:24 PM
Steve writes,
quote:I would love an earlier delivery date if possible, but I understand that Segway is not going put someone in the queue for shipping until after he/she has attended training. I called Segway, and they said that we should start getting our training dates after the first of the year.
Steve, is the training next year going to be all expense paid as well, like the early winners?

GlideMaster
12-14-2002, 01:51 PM
Hi Alan Travis, welcome to The World of Seg. Enjoy The Glide. By the way AIBO has to weigh fifty pounds to be able to Glide otherwise the Rider Detection system will not be able to detect AIBO.

Sorry Alan, I didn't pick up that you had purchased two Gliders. Well that just means twice the fun. Glide On.

<center>The GlideMaster</center>

np
12-14-2002, 05:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Alan Travis

Hello , My name is Alan Travis and I live in PHOENIX, Arizona. My Print # is 734 and I received my conformation 11/19/02 at 6.54 PM.

95 % of the reason I purchased my SEGWAY was for the chance to meet Dean Kamen and see his house and operation. I have been a Type A , student of engineering for most of my 48 years and I enjoy complex mechanical devices. I will let my Sony AIBO ride my Segway. Thanks for creating this forum,......Alan Travis

Alan Travis

Alan, welcome. So you could now write in your essay:
Hi Segway LLC, I don't really need Segway for myself, only for my AIBO. But I would like to go to NH for training, as he is not allowed to travel by air on his own. May I accompany him for his training, please?

Good luck in any case. Good luck to your AIBO too. Doesn't he have a name? - is he a he at all?

http://www.neuroprosthesis.org/blogger.html

Alan Travis
12-14-2002, 06:01 PM
Hello , My name is Alan Travis and I live in PHOENIX, Arizona. My Print # is 734 and I received my conformation 11/19/02 at 6.54 PM.

95 % of the reason I purchased my SEGWAY was for the chance to meet Dean Kamen and see his house and operation. I have been a Type A , student of engineering for most of my 48 years and I enjoy complex mechanical devices. I will let my Sony AIBO ride my Segway. Thanks for creating this forum,......Alan Travis

Alan Travis Go to Top of Page

Alan Travis

np
12-14-2002, 06:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by Alan Travis

Alan Travis Go to Top of Page

Alan Travis

wow, what a funny coincidence. I X-posted your message from the Owner's list, at the same time when you sent in yours ...

BruceWright
12-14-2002, 06:10 PM
Sorry, the AIBO already has his own scooter. It's called the Speed Board and it's available from Sony.
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=ERA201TP2

I guess you're going to have to ride the Segway yourself. ;)

flashgoirl
12-14-2002, 07:43 PM
We have one of those - it's awesome! Our 210 "Audrey" is fond of chasing her pink ball - check it out at pt's other site: http://www.insomedia.com/aibospeedboard We also just got the recognition software that lets her find her charging stand when she needs juice.

BBBix
12-14-2002, 08:17 PM
Flash,

Do you have a real dog (I am guessing yes from your signature)? If so, what does he/she thing of the abio?

Bill B.

pt
12-14-2002, 08:52 PM
the cat and dog are fine with the robot dog(s) as well as the segway ht zooming around the living room, they're so used to this stuff it's funny.

cheers,
pt

Do you have a real dog (I am guessing yes from your signature)? If so, what does he/she thing of the abio?

GlideMaster
12-15-2002, 01:10 PM
Does that mean you have two AIBOs and two Segways? So that means each AIBO has a Segway and you and flash are on foot. Are there two cats also? So instead of a dog house does that mean you have a Seg House? How many Seg Amps does it take to charge the AIBOs. Wait wait wait. The AIBOs can't ride the Seg, they don't weight at least 50 lbs. Nice try PT. If only they could Glide. When we have the Midwest Segway Rally you and Alan can bring your AIBOs to meet each other and see how they interact. My mind is a dangerous thing.

Have Seg Will Travel
REMEMBER:
and

the cat and dog are fine with the robot dog(s) as well as the segway ht zooming around the living room, they're so used to this stuff it's funny.
cheers,
pt

jjstafford
12-16-2002, 02:50 PM
Expensive? True. But if we Americans finally begin paying what we should for gasoline, it won't be hard to rationalize a Segway at $5k a pop - and perhaps reconsider our whole automobile dependent infrastructure.

I'd be very interested in the European economy's perception of the Segway. A twelve-mile range of operation was well within the normal scope bicycling and motorbiking (mopeds) when I lived there. I'm trying to imagine how my peers there might rationalize the Segway.

GlideMaster
12-16-2002, 11:20 PM
Hi Halon, sorry to take so long but I just wanted to welcome you to The World of Seg. Enjoy the Glide.

Have Seg Will Travel
REMEMBER:
and

GlideMaster
12-17-2002, 08:14 PM
Hi TLane, didn't know we had another Segway owner on board. Just wanted to welcome you to The World of Seg. Enjoy the Glide.

Have Seg Will Travel
REMEMBER:
and

GlideMaster
12-18-2002, 11:01 PM
Hi Frank, just thought you should get a welcome on board just like all the other new owners. So welcome aboard [8D] your own site. Welcome to The World of Seg. Enjoy the Glide. And May You Glide With Grace.

Have Seg Will Travel
REMEMBER:
and

Deviant
12-20-2002, 07:46 PM
Welcome, Stutoonz, to the forum, and congratulations on being on the frontier of Segway. 71 years is a lot more life experience than I have. I wonder what the highest and lowest ages of early adopters are? The owner list has info on geography, but not gender or age. Anyone else curious about more demographics?

GlideMaster
12-21-2002, 08:39 AM
Hi Axiotek, just wanted to officially welcome you aboard as a new owner. Welcome to The World of Seg. .

Have Seg Will Travel
REMEMBER:
and

So much on this site to read, I'm falling behind on my welcomes.

GlideMaster
12-22-2002, 12:48 PM
Sailor from Oakland CA Welcome to The World Of Seg, Enjoy The Glide.

Have Seg Will Travel
REMEMBER:
and

GlideMaster
12-23-2002, 09:57 AM
Wheelie I wish to apologize for not having you in my list of purchasers. And above all congratulations on being one of the essay winners.

<center>Glide On</center>

<center>Responsible Riders Ride Segway
and

GlideMaster
12-24-2002, 11:08 AM
Jameskk and Phil I hope you both enjoy your trip but, most of all Enjoy The Glide.

<center>Glide On</center>

GlideMaster
12-26-2002, 01:03 PM
Hi MrTechno, congratulations on the purchase of your new Segway. Welcome to The World of Seg. Enjoy The Glide.

<center>Glide On

Have Seg Will Travel

tak
12-26-2002, 09:18 PM
My sister woke me up at 7AM to tell me that I could order. I already had the "sorry no orders yet" page on my computer from the night before, & watch the page change in front of my eyes to "Place your order now". My poster is 383. Does that mean I'm order 383? Will I get it on the 1st of March, please,please, please?

pam
12-27-2002, 08:50 AM
Since there's 12 pages on this topic now, and I'm so late coming in, I hope I won't find a duplicate post a little later, but do remember, it's also
S=serious
E=enthusiastic
G=gurrls
W=waited
A=a
Y=year
Serious Enthustiastic Gurrls Waited A Year
After all, it's not only the guys out there! &lt;G&gt; (Although I did notice that only 5 of the 30 early contest winners seemed to be women... wonder if that's a comment on the percentages of each sex who entered)
Pam

Congratulations Brooster, now like Frank you are going to have to share. Looks like we may have that Segway Rally yet. Now who would sponsor a Segway Rally? Maybe someone who sponsors FIRST? Now is the word Segway an acronym for something.
SEGWAY

S=serious
E=enthusiastic
G=guys
W=waited
A=a
Y=year
Serious Enthustiastic Guys Waited A Year

<center>
REMEMBER:
and

Brooster
12-27-2002, 09:20 AM
Welcome Tak and Pam ... we're glad you're with us.

Tak ... From the sounds of it, you should be one of the very first to get one in early March. We've pretty much concluded that the poster numbers don't necessarily coincide with order number.

Pam ... Congratulations on being a contest winner! From the reports so far, it sounds like a wonderful experience.

Brooster