PDA

View Full Version : VP Sales Peter Poulin No Longer with Segway

ziggystardust_
09-03-2002, 01:13 PM
http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?day0/222460131&ticker=

Very interesting. Even more interesting is the fact that Poulin's info is still up on the Segway web site.

I have my theories on what this all means. Let me hear other's opinions

jerryshoe
09-03-2002, 02:06 PM
Hi Ziggy,
I just posted an NPR story about sluggish sales at Segway. Could the explanation for Poulin's departure be that simple?

zeppo123
09-03-2002, 02:58 PM
So he closed a number of large accounts? What do they consider large?

ziggystardust_
09-03-2002, 03:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by jerryshoe

Hi Ziggy,
I just posted an NPR story about sluggish sales at Segway. Could the explanation for Poulin's departure be that simple?

The simplest explanation is usually the correct explanation. Sales VPs are always a fantastic target when sales don't happen as expected

ziggystardust_
09-03-2002, 03:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by zeppo123

The article mentioned USPS, GE and Disney. My only issue with that (unless sales figures are being withheld) is that USPS is in trials, not in buy mode (I certainly don't consider 40 units to be an actual purchase by USPS), GE Plastics is one of their vendors, and I haven't heard anything about Disney sales, though Kamen did mention that Disney is going to 'test' the segways. So really, if that is what they are listing as Poulin's accomplishments, what did he really accomplish?

charmed
09-03-2002, 03:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by ziggystardust_

The article mentioned USPS, GE and Disney. My only issue with that (unless sales figures are being withheld) is that USPS is in trials, not in buy mode (I certainly don't consider 40 units to be an actual purchase by USPS), GE Plastics is one of their vendors, and I haven't heard anything about Disney sales, though Kamen did mention that Disney is going to 'test' the segways. So really, if that is what they are listing as Poulin's accomplishments, what did he really accomplish?

You make good points, Ziggy. Still, just watching from the sidelines, I wouldn't be TOO surprised if some of these trials turned into significant fleet sales.

Now that the Feds are taking over the airports, I would expect to hear something from this sector, as well.

zeppo123
09-03-2002, 03:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by ziggystardust_

I sure don't consider the numbers we have seen as large accounts. You could rent 40 a day here on the beach no problem. I am surprised we keep seeing such a tight hold on Segways. If anything it is almost like they are trying not to sell any. I guess this is due to ongoing legislation but even if all 50 states pass laws they can still change them if they feel it is needed. If Kamen et al are so convinced of the safety why not turn some loose and get the price dropping?

ziggystardust_
09-03-2002, 03:59 PM

I sure don't consider the numbers we have seen as large accounts. You could rent 40 a day here on the beach no problem. I am surprised we keep seeing such a tight hold on Segways. If anything it is almost like they are trying not to sell any. I guess this is due to ongoing legislation but even if all 50 states pass laws they can still change them if they feel it is needed. If Kamen et al are so convinced of the safety why not turn some loose and get the price dropping?

My guess is that Segway has really one shot to succeed. If they release too early and the legislation isn't in place, the Segway etiquette hasn't permeated and they don't have commercial sales what we'll end up seeing is a release that will include illegal riding, unsafe riding, and a buy-prohibitive price point. I think Segway is just holding out to make sure all the pieces are in place for as well as they can be in place. With only one chance to do it right they want to make sure they've dotted as many i's and crossed as many t's as possible.

n/a
09-03-2002, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the info on Poulin Zigman. U called that a long time ago. And thanks for your insightful postings.

Seg-wager
09-04-2002, 05:52 AM
Sorry, the link isn't working for me, maybe I'll try it again later.

Casey
09-04-2002, 08:17 AM
I think they must have blocked it. All I get is a page with a logo.

Frank

ziggystardust_
09-04-2002, 09:27 AM
looks like businesswire links are only good for that day's news (yesterday in this case) and then it is moved into the members area so that members can search the archives.

At any rate here's the text of the release for your reading enjoyment

__________________________________________________ ____
DISTRIBUTION: Business Editors & High-Tech Writers

LENGTH: 555 words

HEADLINE: NetBotz Appoints Peter Poulin as VP, Business Development; Company Continues Breakneck Pace; Hires Seasoned Executive

DATELINE: AUSTIN, Texas, Sept. 3, 2002

BODY:
NetBotz(R) Inc., the leading provider of IP-based intelligent security technology, today announced the appointment of Peter Poulin as vice president, business development.

In his new role with NetBotz, Poulin will oversee the company's aggressive expansion into new markets, partnerships and strategic alliances worldwide.

"Peter's strong experience in driving results at both big and small companies demonstrates a broad range of skills that we can exploit as we continue to grow our business," said Tom Goldman, NetBotz president and CEO. "We are experiencing tremendous market acceptance and so we looked for the right person to help us build the strategic partnerships we need to fulfill market demand. Peter is that person and a great addition to our team." "NetBotz is one of the few companies that combines a product the market wants and buys, a culture that supports growth and a talented group of employees who everyday makes the impossible happen," said Poulin. "Moreover, after speaking with a number of its more than 1,000 customers, I heard the same thing over and over: NetBotz is a customer-focused organization. I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to help the company reach the next level of market success."

Before joining NetBotz, Poulin was vice president, sales, at Segway, LLC, the Manchester, N.H., based business that developed the Segway Human Transporter (HT), a solution to short-distance travel. As head of enterprise sales at Segway, Poulin was responsible for closing a number of large accounts, including the U.S. Postal Office, General Electric and Disney, among others. Prior to that, Poulin was vice president, sales, at Works Inc., where he created and implemented the company's initial sales and distribution strategy. Poulin went to Works from Compaq, where, over a 13-year career there, rose to the position of director, Worldwide Internet Commerce. In that role, he had global P&L responsibility for Compaq's internet business with its channel partners.

Poulin earned a bachelor of engineering degree from Cornell University.

About NetBotz (www.netbotz.com)

NetBotz Inc. is the leading global provider of intelligent security technology that monitors and protects critical assets and spaces. Close to 1,000 companies use NetBotz. The NetBotz solution prevents business and financial losses attributed to network downtime by providing early warning of conditions that threaten the integrity of a company's data, technical and equipment assets. Based in Austin, Texas, Netbotz is a privately held company with funding from QuestMark Partners, SSM Venture Partners, CenterPoint Ventures, Osprey Ventures, Hill Partners Inc., and Sanchez Venture Partners. NetBotz has received the Best in Show Award in the Network Management Category at NetWorld+Interop and is a recipient of KPMG's Start-up Standout Award.

NetBotz and RackBotz are registered trademarks of NetBotz Corporation in the United States and other jurisdictions. WallBotz is a trademark of NetBotz Corporation in the United States and other jurisdictions. All other company and product names mentioned are used only for identification and may be trademarks of their respective companies. CONTACT: NetBotz Inc., Austin
Joan Osleeb, 512/439-5837
joan@netbotz.com URL: http://www.businesswire.com

baantjer
09-04-2002, 10:18 AM
and if you really want to have a link: NetBotz Appoints Peter Poulin as VP, Business Development; Company Continues Breakneck Pace; Hires Seasoned Executive (http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?bw.090302/222460131)