PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is Bob Metcalfe talking about?

ftropea
08-29-2002, 02:55 PM
After "Ginger" was revealed on Dec. 3, 2001 at Good Morning America, Bob Metcalfe (a friend of Dean Kamen) was quoted as saying, "...The It I was talking about, which I did not disclose, was NOT Segway. That's all I can say."

So what is the "IT" Bob Metcalfe is talking about? We know from Dean Kamen that project "Ginger" is the Segway-HT, so is there another project, or perhaps a new version of the Segway, that we have yet to see?

Kamen hints at what he might of seen during this exchange:

quote:Question to Bob: "What is IT?"

Answer from Bob: "Well I can't tell you exactly what IT is because I've been sworn to secrecy, even my kids know and they've been sworn to secrecy. What I can say is IT is a revolutionary invention that will change the world. ITs' not as big as something like Cold Fusion, but IT is a little bigger than the internet."

Question to Bob: "How big is IT, what is IT's size?"

Answer from Bob: "Well, this invention can come in all sizes. IT can be small, or IT can be big."

Question to Bob: "When will WE know what IT is?"

Answer from Bob: "I don't know, but I imagine since all the media exposure, probably within a day or so."

http://amo.net/NT/01-20-01WhatIsIt.html

Metcalfe seems to be saying that the invention is "scalable." Dean Kamen often refers to one of his upcoming inventions as "scalable." That invention is the Stirling Engine, a low cost - low noise - low pollution heat engine that could radically redefine how we generate power in the next decade.

This would also seem to fit Metcalfe's "Cold Fusion" quote. Metcalfe said, "Some months ago when speculation was running high, I said that Kamen's It was more important than the Internet, but not as important as cold fusion, had cold fusion worked out."

Why the comparison to cold fusion? Perhaps Metcalfe is thinking power generation and although cold fusion would be world-changing, he seem to feel "IT" comes in a pretty close second. Exciting if true. What do you think?

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea
----------------------------------
Ginger : Robotics :: PC : Computers

charmed
08-30-2002, 09:05 AM
I think the IT Kemper was talking about relates to future uses of Segway technology (DS, mainly, but advanced human/machine interface tangentially), as well as stirling, etc.

I like to think of it thusly:

"You ain't seen nothing yet", the coach says of the young team, meaning, until you see the the embodiment, you won't get IT.

His comments came after the reveal of IT, or Ginger, as well as the quieter, but no less interesting web site introduction of the Stirling. The IT that Kemper saw was the potential of these inventions.

In the Ad, world, people are often criticized as "they don't get IT", where 'it' is a concept, a vision, not a specific product.

I think Kemper was saying (and continues to say, through his silence on the subject) that he 'gets' IT.

That said, I wish Kemper would pipe up on the subject.

Seg-wager
08-30-2002, 01:12 PM
Search me. I wish he would say something more about it. I'm hoping he was talking about the Stirling and the future efficient energy use & clean water tech. especially for developing nations that don't have the same opportunities we do. Having clean water piped to my house 24/7 is a luxury and a blessing.

Nice board. Thanks for setting this up, Frank. :)

ftropea
08-30-2002, 01:51 PM
Seg-wager: No problem. Welcome to the site. If there is anything you would like to added in terms of features/enhancements, please post a topic in the OT forum. This forum is for all of you.

Charmed: Personally, I'm very interested in what Metcalfe was talking about. I'm not sure I buy the whole "GPS" or "Interent Connectivity" thing as those technologies are more software driven - not mechanically driven - and don't seem up Kamen's alley. Although, DS is really software based so who knows :P

I agree that when he says, "..you ain't seen nothing yet.", that he's sort of saying.. "Hey, Kamen has a big vision here. There are going to be many different products based on this tech. Throw in the Stirling and you ain't seen nothing yet." - (not a Metcalfe quote - made up!)

You're right about "getting IT" though. At the GMA reveal, they must of said, "We hope you GET IT." about 3 - 4 times to the TIQ contigent.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

n/a
08-31-2002, 07:37 AM
A number of clues indicate that Metcalfe was talking about the stirling. The comparison to cold fusion, scalability, the reference to stirling being core technology on the Deka site.

On the other hand, I imagine that the Segway is scalable as well. The patents do mention toy versions of it. Before the reveal Metcalfe was enthusiastic about the idea of a Post-pc device that forshadowed an advanced type of Segway. I dont think this fits as well with the clues though. My best guess is that Metcalfe saw/was told about a prototype of the complete, beefed up Segway including the stirling and maybe the water purifier.

I imagine that the Segway we saw was a very basic model because of price and legislation considerations. As Kamen has said elsewere they have experimented with a lot of different models. More than one Segway employee also talked about a family of products. Bricklin who has probably hade some inside info also hinted that the Segway was indeed at a very early stage of it's evolution. So I think Metcalfe was given a peek at the future of the product.

quote:We're all someday going to want some sort of Global Positioning System-guided, Internet-connected descendent of Kamen's amazing IBOT -- the next big thing not in personal computing but in post-PC-plus personal transportation.

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9911/26/ibot.idg/

g.diddy
08-31-2002, 09:50 PM
I believe Metcalfe, his statements have given me reason to go on. IT is coming soon!

n/a
09-01-2002, 06:08 PM
quote:I believe Metcalfe, his statements have given me reason to go on. IT is coming soon!

In the Wired article that mentioned the stirling in 1990, the reporter said it would be coming in about 2 years. That would be this year.

ziggystardust_
09-01-2002, 10:30 PM
Metcalfe's IT is a stirling powered Segway that can also create potable water. IT is a transportation/electricity/clean water solution for what ails billions in 3rd world countries.

Metcalfe saw the Segway, saw a prototype of the Stirling (Kamen carries that thing around everywhere), and heard about the clean water capability. So IT is part reality (Segway) and part vision (completed Stirling and water purification system).

The big question is whether Kamen can create a stirling that is small enough, powerful enough, and cheap enough to produce in order to make it a viable business venture.

and btw, Ginger=Segway as Fred=iBot

n/a
09-02-2002, 10:13 AM
quote:The big question is whether Kamen can create a stirling that is small enough, powerful enough, and cheap enough to produce in order to make it a viable business venture.

I think Kamen turned that issue on its head. He is looking for clever business people who can find a way to sell stirling/water purifier to the people who need it the most yet can least afford it. The business solution to the problem could be a big creative challenge in itself. Perhaps in a conventional business sense this sounds highly unlikely, but Kamen is no conventional thinker, not when it comes to invention and perhaps not when it comes to business.

ftropea
09-02-2002, 01:31 PM
Yeah - I mean, have you ever flipped through a Sears catalog recently? You've seen ads for portable, rechargable power units - right? They have handles, can jump start your car or power a small TV and radio on a picnic. Now, I've seen those ads and have always thunk to myself, 'Yeah - that's pretty cool. I might buy one one of these days.' Now, I didn't buy one... but it could very well of been an impulse purchase if I was ever walking through a Sears and happened to come across it.

So selling the Stirling power unit - in order to be successful - is going to have to do some serious and careful marketing if they want people to perceive it a something more than a power pack akin to the rechargeable ones you can buy today. Now, we all know better... Lawrence and all - you know how significant the Stirling is to the world. However, explaining that big idea in a 30 sec sales pitch on TV or in a 2x2 inch ad in the Sunday paper is going to be tough.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

n/a
09-02-2002, 06:30 PM
quote:However, explaining that big idea in a 30 sec sales pitch on TV or in a 2x2 inch ad in the Sunday paper is going to be tough.

Maybe that is part of the reason why Kamen plans to put them on Segways.

I did get the impression that Kamen's APU will have some special features, like functioning as heater, cooler air-conditioner. It would be interesting if somebody posted what is available on the market.