Specs on I-series Segway
http://www.segway.com/segway/specs_iseries.html
Specs on E-series Segway
http://www.segway.com/segway/specs_eseries.html
Compare these two
http://www.segway.com/segway/specs_compare.html

n/a
11-18-2002, 09:40 AM
Blinky, are you posting this for the flood of new members that will be coming here after seeing GMA? All of us old timers have seen those links. ;)

bicycledriver
11-18-2002, 10:52 AM
This web page says the Segway will increase the area I can cover in a given amount of time by a factor of 50 compared to walking. Since the accessible area is proportional to the square of linear speed, this requires the average Segway speed to be seven times average walking speed. Since both pedestrians and Segway drivers will suffer similar intersection delays, which affect average speed, that means the Segway's cruising speed must be significantly faster than seven times normal walking speed of 2.5 miles per hour. Thus the Segway marketing material is based on the assumption that the Segway will be normally be driven at speeds of over 17.5 miles per hour - about the same or faster than a typical bicycle commuter travels. This calls into question the safety of traveling at such speeds on sidewalks versus the roadway, which is where commuter cyclists prefer to travel.

Steven Goodridge

JohnM
11-18-2002, 11:56 AM
Another inaccuracy at this web page says,
quote:
With a top speed of 9 MPH on sidewalks, you'll reach your destination three times faster on Segway HT than you would by walking.

First to reach your destination three time faster (assumming an average walking speed of 3 mph), your average speed would have to be 9 MPH on sidewalks.

The other and bigger issue is the delays at intersections that Steve refered to. Covering a given distance to work, say my 4.4 miles, will envolve a fixed number of interections controled by traffic lights, whether I drive my car, ride a bike, use a Segway or walk. In my case, 15 lights. This is constant and the average time spent sitting waiting for the lights to change will remain constant, regardless of my mode of transportation. This is a great leveler for the slower modes. If there are lights on every corner, bikes will move almost as fast as cars, walkers will move almost as fast as Segways, because such a large portion of your travel time is actually spent stationary, waiting for the green/walk lights. Its a case of hurry-up and wait, and no matter how much you hurry-up, the wait remains the same.

Runnin' with the Big Dogs

Blinky
11-18-2002, 07:46 PM
JohnM writes,
quote:The other and bigger issue is the delays at intersections that Steve refered to. Covering a given distance to work, say my 4.4 miles, will envolve a fixed number of interections controled by traffic lights, whether I drive my car, ride a bike, use a Segway or walk. In my case, 15 lights. This is constant and the average time spent sitting waiting for the lights to change will remain constant, regardless of my mode of transportation. This is a great leveler for the slower modes. If there are lights on every corner, bikes will move almost as fast as cars, walkers will move almost as fast as Segways, because such a large portion of your travel time is actually spent stationary, waiting for the green/walk lights. Its a case of hurry-up and wait, and no matter how much you hurry-up, the wait remains the same.
Do any of the states legislation say that Segway's are illegal on the streets? Why not ride off the curb and ride with traffic to get across the other side.

Just a thought

Blinky
11-18-2002, 07:49 PM
Lawrence writes,
quote:Blinky, are you posting this for the flood of new members that will be coming here after seeing GMA? All of us old timers have seen those links. ;)
Now that you mention it those intentions would have been a great excuse to post it on here. :)

I posted it to give people a good look at the numbers before they think about getting one. Besides, since I am not an 'old timer' like your self and others on this forum, I thought it was a good idea to start a thread about it.

Casey
11-18-2002, 07:50 PM
The Segway site goes out of it's way to point out that the higher figures they give are under ideal conditions. They also give figures allowing for various conditions.

Casey
11-18-2002, 07:55 PM
For instance this is a description of distances you can travel.

quote:Range:
Up to 15 miles (25 km) on a single charge
Accounting for a variety of real-world conditions we expect you'll be able to travel about 10 miles (16 km) on a single battery charge. Under severe conditions—such as rugged terrain or variable speed— we expect you will be able to travel about 5 miles (8 km). Under optimal conditions, however—no wind, flat terrain and at constant speed—you could travel as much as 15 miles (25 km).

I don't see where they try to mislead anybody. On the speeds they point out it is the maximum speed they are quoting.

quote:Performance:
Top speed and turning rate
The maximum forward speed and turning rate of your Segway HT can be set at different rates based upon which key is used:

* Beginner Key (black):
Maximum speed: 6 mph (9.5 kph)
Slower turning rate

* Sidewalk Key (yellow):
Maximum speed: 8 mph (12.6 kph)
Medium turning rate

* Open Environment Key (red):
Maximum speed: 12.5 mph (20 kph)
Most responsive turning rate

Blinky
11-18-2002, 08:00 PM
So do the numbers equal out since we have to stop at red lights when walking too?

or does this sound to fair?