PDA

View Full Version : Segway: First Impressions

BBBix
11-18-2002, 12:06 AM
Well, this is my first post. My name is Bill. I am a 16 year old member of FIRST team 418, Purple Haze from the Science Academy at LBJ High Scool in Austin, TX. On Oct. 1st, we were invited to demonstrate out robot at the Scoiety of Petrolium Engineers (SPE) convention in San Antonio.

We were setting up out robot when, much to our suprise, 8 Segways come rolling into our booh. Throughout the day, I would hop on them whenever there was no line and I accumlated about 30 min of time on them.

Wow.......These devices are amazing, I'm hooked. The first thing that I noticed when I steped onto it was how stable it was. It took about 30 sec to get the hang of it. Too much fun. Just lean forward to go forward, and back to go back. I want one, I just need the 3k for it (very hard being a student).

The best part was, I jokingly asked one of the Segway reps when Dean Kamen was coming (I had no idea that he would show up) and I was told that he would me there in 2 hrs. How Cool!!!!! I got to meet Dean. Yaay.

Since I could not figure our how to post photos, I will just link to them.

This is part of my team with Dean Kamen (our robot is just barely visible in the background). I am the second one in from the left.
http://www.lbjhs.net/~bixlerw/team.jpg

And here is me on one of those amazing devices.
http://www.lbjhs.net/~bixlerw/me.jpg

I look forward to the day I gat one...

Until Later,
Bill B.

Cube128
11-18-2002, 12:52 AM
I wish my high school was involved in FIRST :(

Blinky
11-18-2002, 01:00 AM
Welcome Bill,

Congrats to you on your ride on the Segway. Some of us could only be so fortunate to being able to get a ride. From what other users on this forum have said about their experiences, I am also dying to get a ride already.

You are surely on the right track with being in the FIRST program. Money for you won't be a problem if your passion's with technology brings you to success.

I could easily get one right now in my current situation, but I am thinking of waiting a little bit longer until the price dips a little. This initial price was going to be high, so why spend it when I don't have to.

Blinky
11-18-2002, 01:03 AM
Cube128 writes..(edited: wrote casey in error [:p], oops)
quote:I wish my high school was involved in FIRST :(
You and I my friend. It would have been great for me even without the possiblity/potential chance of riding a Segway. FIRST is without a doubt a great program for the younger generation.