PDA

View Full Version : NYC Historic post, 1st meeting,

Itsi Atkins
05-18-2003, 12:29 AM
The first meeting for the NYC owners group will be held from 4pm - 5pm at the Cafe Blue located in the Dag Hammarskjold Park on East 47th St. between 1st & 2nd Ave. Demos and social hour for guest and media from 5pm - 6pm. All Segways are invited to glide over to Rockefeller Plaza to view the Christie's Auction Motorcars. Segway programs with a reprint of the Segway patent and "Ginger" coloring books will be given to all Segways in attendance. Hope to see al New Yorkers. Please rsvp to segwaynyny@aol.com (itsi)

David
05-19-2003, 01:47 AM
I'll be there!

-David

Itsi Atkins
05-19-2003, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the rsvp from David, Segway Bill, Larry! Cafe Blue (Seg Clubhouse) has 8 exterior outlets for us to powerup, so everyone will be refreshed before the glide ride to Christie's Motorcar Auction.

Stan671
05-19-2003, 08:22 AM
I will be there - coming in from New Jersey.

Stan Dobrowski

larryKay
05-19-2003, 11:15 AM
Looks like we will be the world's largest private contingent of Segway ownerd in one place at one time!!!

Larry

Itsi Atkins
05-19-2003, 02:03 PM
Thanks Dexter for the rsvp. We will also be celebrating Ginger's Birthday. Cafe Blue (Cafe Segway) 47/1st will be our host. 8 exterior electric outlets and an air compressor for our use. See you, spread the word. Doc and Ginger haven't heard from you yet! best

statmed
05-19-2003, 04:06 PM
Hope to be there as well. Have it on my calendar, hope nothing comes up last minute.

This should be fun!!

H.M. Stern
statmed@optonline.net

I Love It When A Plan Comes Together (Hannibal Smith)

geekfactory
05-19-2003, 04:37 PM
Damn it. I won't be there. I have to be in Colorado for a client. :-( I'll be there in spirit, though... Think of me!

larryKay
05-19-2003, 07:02 PM
Are you going to invite any media such as TV or newspapers? What do you think about getting more publicity?

Larry

Itsi Atkins
05-19-2003, 10:56 PM
Peter, Greekfactory Try to have your client from Colorado come to NY. He will get a vip Segway demo bonus. We really need you at this meeting. Itsi

dexter
05-19-2003, 11:52 PM
What kind of questions do you answer?

Don't you like answering alot of questions?

Do you think the Segway owners might ask questions about other things?

If they did would you answer them?

:)

Dave C.
me: www.idexter.com
work: www.idealjacobs.com
play: www.nyline.org

Itsi Atkins
05-20-2003, 12:12 AM
Dexter, I emailed Larry direct regarding his questions. This meeting goal is to organize and I feel it is not a media event.

SegwayLongIsland
05-20-2003, 01:02 AM
Hi everyone. Sorry for the absence.

One of my patients nominated me as an Honorary Medical Officer for the FDNY's honorary Society and I've been tied up with that and the swearing-in-ceremony, etc.

I've been into motorcycles for 25 years and am suppposed to be in Lake George for the Americade convention June 2-7, but will go up late in order to attend the First Segway Owners Group!

Ginger & I will both be there!! Count us IN!

Wayne

Brooster
05-20-2003, 01:18 AM
Congrats Wayne! Best to you and Ginger.

Broo

Brooster

Itsi Atkins
05-21-2003, 12:30 AM
LeonardoNYC, We haven't heard from you. It would be great to meet you.

Itsi Atkins
05-21-2003, 11:28 AM
Frank, both Peter and Tom can not make it, so is it possible to have a live real time feed of the meeting on the segwaychat site with sound and picture. thanks

geekfactory
05-21-2003, 03:55 PM
I'd gladly chime in via phone, if I can... You name it.

Itsi Atkins
05-22-2003, 01:54 AM
Frank I can film the event, but can you get voice and face in real time over the web? I would love to hear from you itsi

mac
05-22-2003, 08:02 AM
Count me in - and let's pray for good weather. It'll be great to meet fellow Seggers.

ftropea
05-26-2003, 02:26 PM
Hey everyone!

I've been in contact with Itsi about this event. He's doing a really great job getting everything organized. Azeeza and I can't wait to get together with the rest the owners. It's an important opportunity so I hope everyone who can will attend.

I'm going to try and help prepare a few things for this meeting. I know GeekFactory has indicated he might be able to attend by phone. I'm looking into bringing a laptop with me as I understand there might be an internet connection at the location. If this works out, we'll be able to "broadcast" the minutes via our SC Live! chat room or AOL IM for those unable to attend in person.

If there are any concerns/thoughts about the meeting, please post them here. Itsi really needs to know in advance if you're going to make it or not, so please either post here or send him an email.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

[/sc] Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me (segwaychat@segwaychat.com)

lipinsky
05-26-2003, 03:46 PM
I am going to try to make it, but it would be helpful if in the future we do this outside of business hours -- like after 5PM.

Itsi Atkins
05-29-2003, 08:54 PM
Anyone who has not rsvp please do so. It will be a great time and looking forward to getting everyone together. Cafe Blue 47th & 1st has 8 outlets so powerups are no problem.

ftropea
05-29-2003, 11:48 PM
I'm probably going to set something up with Itsi where we can run SC LIVE! on location.. it's looking good.

I love the idea of Seg Cafes... and the prearrangement Itsi set up for us is great :)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

[/sc] Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me (segwaychat@segwaychat.com)

SegwayBill
05-30-2003, 06:58 PM
Itsia
There will be four Segways in my group.I will bring a spliter 8 outlets will not be enough.

Bill

dexter
05-30-2003, 09:09 PM
Will anyone be gliding back to Penn Station afterward?

Dave C.

Stan671
05-31-2003, 12:59 AM
I will be there and there is a good chance that my Segway owning Dad will be also.

Stan Dobrowski

dexter
05-31-2003, 04:28 AM
Will you take a train from Jersey, Stan671?

I'd like to take the train again (it will be my second time on a train to NYC on my Seg!) but I'm worried about getting back to Penn Station on my own after dark.

Dave C.

larryKay
05-31-2003, 04:34 PM
Dexter, not to worry. Stan is lit up. He has two lights on his Segway for gliding after dark. Nightime falls after 8:15PM or so. it really is twilight until almost 9PM. I don't think that the first NYC Segway gathering will last too late. See you there as I commute from Westchester on metro North.

Larry

Stan671
06-01-2003, 01:07 AM
Actually, Larry, I have replaced the two lights with one powerful light that I just received from Segway. I created a topic about it called "Segway Solo Logic lighting system".

Dexter, I will most likely be driving into the city and parking someplace near the event. I will be bringing in Laura (who is driving to my house from Phili) and maybe my father (and his Segway) if he can come.

If it is the three of us, then we will have a full car. But if there is only two, then I would be happy to give you a lift in the car.

Stan Dobrowski

Itsi Atkins
06-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Check to see if I got it right. The 18 people atteding the June 4th meeting are: itsia, David,Stan671 +2, larrykay, statemed +2, dexter, segway LI, Mac, Frank T +1, limpinsky, Segway Bill +3, Michael Skelton. Did I miss anyone or is my count incorrect? Thanks, the address for the event is: Cafe Blue in Dag Hammarskjold Park East 47th st. betw. 1st and 2nd. The time is 4pm to 5pm for the business meeting, 5p for coffee and cake & exhibit of Segway related items. We need to be in Rockefeller Plaza for a tour of the Christie's motorcars by 6pm.

dexter
06-01-2003, 11:10 PM
Stan671 Thank you for the offer, but I think I'll be OK gliding back... if not I will drive in myself in my hatchback. If I knew someone else was going back to Penn Station I'd definitely take the train in... as it stands it is just a "probably" <g>. Hence my question.

Thanks though! Looking forward to seeing you and everyone there.

Dave C.

dexter
06-01-2003, 11:14 PM
Itsia Since my health has been someone up-and-down of late there is a chance I might not be able to make it. It is UNLIKELY that I won't show. But if I'm not there don't waste any time looking for me, especially when it becomes time to leave for Rock Center. Don't assume I got elbowed under a bus on the way there, because I can glide with more aplomb than that. :)

As I said, it is UNLIKELY that I won't show. I did very well on my trip in for the AIDS walk, and I'm saving my energy for this.

Dave C.

Itsi Atkins
06-02-2003, 01:51 AM
thanks Dexter for the note, hope to see you.

Itsi Atkins
06-03-2003, 12:06 AM
gerald walker we need you, please attend the meeting. thanks

statmed
06-03-2003, 09:28 AM
With the threat of rain for tomorrow, do we have any backup plans? Do you want to just meet and save the glide for another day or do we want to put it off for another week on 6/11.

Also, I'll be solo, you have me with 2 additional.

H.M. Stern
statmed@optonline.net

L.I. Glider
06-03-2003, 11:00 AM
Itsia:

Add 2 more to the count - we'll be there as well!

Regards,
Joanne and Steve

Itsi Atkins
06-03-2003, 05:55 PM
Plans stay as posted. We have some cover at Cafe Blue maybe bring a sheet of plastic for a quick shower. We have reserved & guarded parking at Rockefeller Plaza (Meci's) 50th St. I think the rain will pass by that time, so come and see, enjoy Ginger Birthday cake (Buttercup Bakery) Coffee, Tea and me, get the Segway Patent Book, Ginger Coloring Book all comp, see new Segway leather bags,metal stands, shipping cases,[arade skins and ride to Christie's and see..?????.....A GREAT NEW MODE OF TRANSPORT.

statmed
06-03-2003, 07:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by itsia

We have reserved & guarded parking at Rockefeller Plaza (Meci's) 50th St. I think the rain will pass by that time

So, do I understand that we have parking arrangements for those of us driving down. If so, what's the cost and where is the location. I just finished the ramps to load my Segway into my pickup, this is gonna be fun!!!

H.M. Stern
statmed@optonline.net

Itsi Atkins
06-03-2003, 09:59 PM
ALL MEMBERS CHECK THE SITE IF THE WEATHER IS HORRIBLE, BUT I think the rain will stop by 4pm. I DO NOT have any arrangements for automobiles. I have arranged due to sidewalk traffic and congestion of public viewing the cars to have the Segways parked in a protected area in site of the classics and under supervision. Again no arrangements for parking cars you are own your own both at 1st Av and Rockfeller, This was intended for New York City Segway owners to ride their Segway and meet others, how did cars get involved?

SegwayBill
06-03-2003, 10:07 PM
Itsia
It looks the rain might stop in time. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Bill

statmed
06-03-2003, 10:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by itsia

This was intended for New York City Segway owners to ride their Segway and meet others, how did cars get involved?

Cars are involved because I come from City Island in the Bronx. To get to NYC I would have to take a bus to the elevated #6 train and unfortunatly I cannot get the Segway on the bus or up the elevated train, so I have to drive to get into NYC. If there was a better way I would do it.

H.M. Stern
statmed@optonline.net

mac
06-04-2003, 01:54 PM
I didn't Seg in this morning because it was pouring (and I work just around the corner from Cafe Blue!!!) If the rain holds off, I'll try to leave and go home to get it - otherwise, I'll just show up on foot.

mac
06-04-2003, 02:12 PM
Hate to be a naysayer, but this is what 1010WINS is showing hour by hour:

TIME 1pm 2pm 3pm 4pm 5pm 6pm 7pm 8pm 9pm
rain rain sun rain cloudy rain rain rain rain

ftropea
06-04-2003, 02:15 PM
Hey Mac,

I spoke with Isti this morning.. mostly about the weather.

There is a chance it could clear up (depending which station you listen to.. the forecasts are inconsistent.)

Anyway, stay tuned as Itsi plans to post here around 2 PM about the meeting.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Itsi Atkins
06-04-2003, 03:19 PM
2:13 still ok going for it, bring a jacket its a little cold. no more posting I need to go outside.

Itsi Atkins
10-29-2004, 12:56 PM
I found this first posting about our owners group June 4th of 2003,
16 months of Segway meetings. Please help us grown, hope to see the old members, (please Frank we miss you).
Lets make this another historic date. Nov. 4th at the same place now called the Patio Cafe not Cafe Blue.
Another year and half of Segway support in NYC might make it all happen, hope to see you all.
'itsi

Itsi Atkins
10-30-2004, 02:29 AM
Ok Larry, Lapinski. Fran, Steve , Peter, Ginger, Dexter, It is time to come back and say hello. The group misses you all and need your impute. Try to glide by or if you can't make the Nov.4th meeting, then join us on the welcome glide for 10mph Segway across America. thanks

tomamil
10-30-2004, 06:08 PM
I'll see you there, Itsi, provided the weather that morning allows me to Seg into my office from Brooklyn.

Tom A. Milstein

Segways should be everywhere by now!

Itsi Atkins
11-12-2004, 12:50 PM
This is an Historic posting as the first group gathered on June 4, 2003. But check out two very important meetings our 2nd with Dean and a CW PAVE award and our 17th with 10mph and a CW PAVE award.
We are going to sell a NYC Segway calendar with photos of meeting for each month meeting. It will go on sale Jan. 05. I need photos of any of the past 17 meetingsm, so if you have them send them to me or Macgeek. thanks itsi

woodenapple
11-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Itsi,

The calendar is a GREAT idea! Be sure to post about it again after they are available, because I know a lot of us here will be interested in buying one.

Be sure to post here on the general forum and not just on the 'buy and sell' forum, because this is of general interest beyond just another item for sale.

Rodney

May all your days be Segway days!