PDA

View Full Version : 60 minutes transcript (RECOVERED)

Casey
11-15-2002, 10:01 AM
I inadvertantly deleted this thread attempting to remove a double post of my own.

I recovered this from my computers cache. Please accept my appology for any problem it might have caused.

Casey
11-15-2002, 10:03 AM
charmed
Founding Member

171 Posts
Posted - Nov 13 2002 : 7:19:56 PM Show Profile Email Poster Edit Topic Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Topic
Courtesy of Spliff (Caution- a bit of a spoiler if you intend to watch the show tonight)-

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/11/12/60II/main529072.shtml

Frank, you called it pretty close.
Edited by - charmed on Nov 13 2002 7:20:50 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey
Founding Member

430 Posts
Posted - Nov 13 2002 : 7:30:51 PM Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
quote:When the gas chamber is heated from the outside, with anything from burning wood chips to charcoal, the gas expands, creating pressure. That pressure drives a piston from the hot chamber into the cool chamber. In Kamen's design, that mechanical power achieves two goals: it creates electrical power, 300 continuous watts – enough to run a few electrical devices - and, as a bonus, creates enough heat to distill contaminated water, making it drinkable.

Rather and Kamen tested a prototype using water from the polluted Merrimack River near Kamen’s plant. Afterwards, Rather drank some of the water. He was fine.

Kamen dreams of using his device all over the world. Rather asked Kamen if that is a realistic goal. He replies, "Most of the invention that's required to go from the idea to reality, I believe, we've mastered. And we can do this."
Go to Top of Page
Blinky

154 Posts
Posted - Nov 13 2002 : 7:40:14 PM Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Looks like another harmful and sneaky invention Dean Kamen has invented to make money. Who is with me to protest down to city hall?When will he ever invent something to help humanity.

being sarcastic of course.
Go to Top of Page
Casey
Founding Member

430 Posts
Posted - Nov 13 2002 : 7:45:35 PM Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
I wonder if they will protest to ban these things from San Francisco. Somebody might get burned on the hot end or frozen on the other.
Go to Top of Page
Casey
Founding Member

430 Posts
Posted - Nov 13 2002 : 8:54:32 PM Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Just read this story on CBS and you will know what the show was almost word for word.
Go to Top of Page
Lawrence
Founding Member

217 Posts
Posted - Nov 14 2002 : 09:53:26 AM Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
quote:"He's a clever designer, and I have no doubt he can make an engine that works," McHugh said of Kamen. "But can he make it faster, lighter and cheaper enough to change someone's lifestyle? If he had stripped off the media hoopla, his devices would be interesting. In reality, it's kind of a disappointment."

http://www.cmonitor.com/stories/news/state2002/1114kamen_2002.shtml

This is one professor who was not very impressed by Kamen's inventions.
Go to Top of Page
Whewtbing
Starting Member

3 Posts
Posted - Nov 14 2002 : 12:42:19 PM Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
At one point Rather says something about a Stirling powered Segway and Kamen agrees with him. I thought that in context he was talking about using the Stirling APU/Generator to charge the Segway, but it was not crystal clear. Is the Stirling going to power the Segway or will it just be available as a remote charging source?
Go to Top of Page
Casey
Founding Member

430 Posts
Posted - Nov 14 2002 : 1:02:07 PM Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
I did not understand Kamen at any time to say anything about a stirling mounted on a Segway. I may have missed it, but the only reference I heard him make to that combination was to the effect of the stirling being used to charge the battery on the segway by plugging Segway into the stirling generator. I did watch and listen uninterupted and intently and don't think I missed anything on that subject.
Go to Top of Page
ftropea
Admin

355 Posts
Posted - Nov 14 2002 : 1:05:39 PM Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
I have the show taped... I don't remember him saying it could/would be mounted on the Segway either...

I take it that the Stirling/Water Distiller combo is one product/application that he's working on. He did have a mock-up for it. I expect we'll hear about other Stirling products.. a host of new products.. but not anytime soon.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea
Go to Top of Page
ftropea
Admin

355 Posts
Posted - Nov 14 2002 : 1:07:12 PM Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
quote:Originally posted by charmed

Courtesy of Spliff (Caution- a bit of a spoiler if you intend to watch the show tonight)-

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/11/12/60II/main529072.shtml

Frank, you called it pretty close.

Charmed: I'm getting good at this prediction thing. OK, I predict tonight's New York Pick 3 will be '733' :D

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea
Go to Top of Page
Lawrence
Founding Member

217 Posts
Posted - Nov 14 2002 : 3:07:53 PM Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
quote:I have the show taped... I don't remember him saying it could/would be mounted on the Segway either...

Kamen has stated that earlier on Cyberposium. Most recently he has told that to Van Arsdell (American Stirling). Rollin posted an link on that on TIQ a few hours ago.
Go to Top of Page
Seeker

89 Posts
Posted - Nov 14 2002 : 6:13:50 PM Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
quote:Originally posted by Whewtbing

At one point Rather says something about a Stirling powered Segway and Kamen agrees with him. I thought that in context he was talking about using the Stirling APU/Generator to charge the Segway, but it was not crystal clear. Is the Stirling going to power the Segway or will it just be available as a remote charging source?

My thoughts are that it would make sense to have the Stirling riding along with you on a basket on the Segway. Because otherwise, if the Stirling was something you left at home, then it might not be with you, when you really needed it. If it was at home then you would be just as well off to not have a Stirling and just plug your Segway into the house to recharge it.

Seeker
Go to Top of Page
Blinky

154 Posts
Posted - Nov 14 2002 : 7:50:52 PM Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Seeker writes..
quote:My thoughts are that it would make sense to have the Stirling riding along with you on a basket on the Segway. Because otherwise, if the Stirling was something you left at home, then it might not be with you, when you really needed it. If it was at home then you would be just as well off to not have a Stirling and just plug your Segway into the house to recharge it.
Personally, I feel the size of the stirling engine as it is right now is to big to be place on or next to a Segway. Some may disagree, but I think Segway LLC should wait before even thinking about doing this.

Who knows what the effects of long time use on a stirling engine will have on it self. What would happen if the Segway get into a "HIGHLY PROBABLE COLLISION"oh geeze, some of you will enjoy that one.

You might blow up someone on the sidewalk, or possibly someone riding a bike who might just happen to to be passing you. It would be to much of a loss.
Go to Top of Page
Brooster

115 Posts
Posted - Nov 14 2002 : 8:17:59 PM Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Whewtbing is right ... the statements were a bit confusing as to whether the stirling would one day be an "onboard" device.

Brooster
Go to Top of Page
Seeker

89 Posts
Posted - Nov 14 2002 : 8:56:46 PM Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply

Hi Guys,

Here's a quote from the Cyberposium transcript, from earlier this year :

quote:
And we decided, what if we could scale one down small enough that you could clip it on here? (pointing at Segway) We decided to do that, and we started spending lots and lots of money about seven years ago doing that. Well, it might work. I wish I could tell you it was one of those really quick ideas. It's not. It requires a lot of different disciplines of engineering, a lot of tooling. I mean, there is no conceivable way to make that one of those really quick ideas.

So it looks like their intension is to have a Stirling which rides onboard the Segway, and it seems like Kamen has said that they've been working on that model for 7 years. But as far as I know, Kamen has never shown off a Stirling that small.

Seeker
Go to Top of Page
jim
Starting Member

1 Posts
Posted - Nov 14 2002 : 9:04:51 PM Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
I felt it was very interesting to hear comments from people interviewed about the segway. They resemble comments and concerns voiced of the "horesless carriage". Did anyone else notice this?
What are your feelings on this?

Casey
11-15-2002, 10:14 AM
Now to repeat the post that caused the problem. Actually I'm the one that caused the problem. :(
------------------------------------------------

Hi jim, welcome.

I have commented before that the anti-Segway detractors/haters are acting the same as the anti-horseless carriage detractors/haters did about a hundred years ago.

It seems the more things change, the more they stay the same as the old saying goes.

There doesn't seem to be a shortage of people to protest against just about any product that is brought out, regardless of whether there is a valid reason to dislike it or not.

Blinky
11-16-2002, 02:13 PM
It is a shame that most of the protesting that is done by people is based mostly on 'not knowing' and some kind of fear people have with "new things".

Its like how most of our parents while growing up did not like to hear our music. How older people have a hard time adjusting and a fear of learning a new computer.

It can get out of hand sometimes. I think it is great people can protest and voice their concerns out to the world.

What I hate is people not knowing or understanding something fully, especially with no experience with something, and not giving it a chance. This goes for all things.