PDA

View Full Version : Kamen's water purifier

n/a
11-14-2002, 05:11 PM
We have seen a prototype on TV, but not a single patent. Does that mean that the water purifier is a long way off or have we not found some patents?

Casey
11-14-2002, 05:25 PM
They have slipped past me with this water purifying business. As I originally understood it, the distilled water was to be a byproduct of burning hydrogen to heat the stirling. The other purpose of the stirling was power generation.

Now they show this contraption that simply looks like a distiller (moonshine still) that could be operated by directly heating it to evaporate the water away from the contaminates. I have no idea at this point how the stirling enters that equation.

The other idea of powering a laser with a stirling and using the laser to purify the water also made some sense because the stirling could be heated with any available fuel.

But what Kamen is doing now is beyond me.

dave27
11-14-2002, 05:54 PM
I think this may relate to the APU patent - but I could be wrong.

-dave

Blinky
11-14-2002, 09:55 PM
Casey writes..
quote:They have slipped past me with this water purifying business. As I originally understood it, the distilled water was to be a byproduct of burning hydrogen to heat the stirling. The other purpose of the stirling was power generation.
Well, we can only assume that we have seen one version of Kamens stirling engine. I think he maybe found an even better use for it, especially something that would sell for him to acquire more money for his future projects.

Its part business and part humanitarian on his part, so it seems anyway. He basically said it himself last night.

NOTE: Good luck for you guys finding a patent on this one, I would like to see them.