PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Segway clubs out there?

PaulDV
09-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Hi everyone!

I am putting together a Segway community website and one of the sections is planned to be a listing of Segway clubs around the world.

So, as the title of the thread says: are there any Segway clubs out there?

If you know of any (or perhaps you run one!) would you mind sending me a private message with any pertinent details please?

I'm looking for club name, website (if one exists) and any contact details you may have.

If it's not your club, I shall be trying to contact the club organiser before the website goes live to get their permission to list them.

Cheers,
Paul.

Alanmcd
09-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Segway Riders Club Of Central Florida.

http://www.segwayofcentralflorida.com/node/343

I am not a member nor do I even live in Florida but I know the couple who started this club.

-Alan

PaulDV
09-30-2012, 06:15 PM
That's great Alan, exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Cheers,
Paul.

KSagal
09-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Years ago there was a top down experiment called Seg America. It was started by a dedicated and great group of folks from around the country.

I described it as a top down experiment, because it was a national club with no foundation.

Most social clubs with a theme start as local enthusiasts, who share a love for one thing or another, riding motorcycles, quilting, square dancing, or maybe segways. The local club has a lot going for it, because people can get together, and have lots of fun sharing their passion.

At some point, these local clubs like to visit other local clubs to share on a wider level, and to share one strain of the passion with others who may have a different strain...

Eventually several local clubs band together to regional, and regionals into a national organization.

Instead of all that, some folks from around the United States, using the internet mostly, started this great organization, but it was hard to get a lot of excitement and new members after the first push, because there is little a person in New York can do to improve the daily enjoyment of segways in Kansas, or a person in Florida can impact very little on a person in Boston...

Still, this organization sponsored several segway fests, national conventions that were very successful, where many folks had a wonderful time.

I would love to see the traditional format, of strong local clubs that enhance the value of their members directly, who eventually band together, loosely at first, and then into a more substantial structure.

In keeping with the theme of this thread, you should look into SEG America. Its name means Segway Enthusiasts Group of America. I am sure there are lots of references to it here on this forum as well as other places.

PaulDV
10-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Thanks for that Karl.

I had heard of SEG America and had done some cursory searching for them, but the majority of links I got were, unfortunately, to the fanfare that 'SEG America Closes Its Doors'

I've checked out what is letf of the website - I assume it was more extensive than it is now - but there's not much on there apart from a few linked informational pages.

I'll add what clubs I have found (just the two at the moment) and people can add more themselves as and when they come across them.

Cheers,
Paul.

drsmr2
08-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Greetings!

Are there any Segway groups in the Maryland, Delaware or Virginia area? I am looking for groups or individuals to glide with for tours, events, trails, etc. I am hopeful this group will help me find other Segway owners nearby.

Thanks in advance.

Denise

KSagal
08-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Greetings!

Are there any Segway groups in the Maryland, Delaware or Virginia area? I am looking for groups or individuals to glide with for tours, events, trails, etc. I am hopeful this group will help me find other Segway owners nearby.

Thanks in advance.

Denise

DC Seg was very big. I would look for them, although Washington DC may be farther than you wanted to go.

I have heard of other groups but am not current on them. I would check in with local dealers and tour groups and ask them directly...

Good luck.

jgbackes
08-26-2013, 01:17 AM
San Francisco Segway Group (http://www.bayareaseg.com)

eJM
08-26-2013, 05:13 AM
Jeff, I think that site isn't up to date. Even the link to SegwayChat is wrong. None of the news items are dated, so I don't know what is current.

Jim