PDA

View Full Version : Update to CBS 60 Minutes II Story

dave27
11-12-2002, 08:35 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/11/12/60II/main529110.shtml

CBS) Dean Kamen, the man who said his human transporter invention would change people’s lives, has a new invention that, he says, could change the world. The quirky inventor demonstrates for correspondent Dan Rather how his latest device creates electricity without pollution and turns contaminated liquid into distilled drinking water. See the invention on 60 Minutes II on Wednesday, Nov. 13 at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

After Kamen’s demonstration, Rather gulps down what only moments before was a green and briny liquid. “I hope I don’t double over the rest of the day,” says Rather as he drinks the machine-purified water.

The multi-millionaire inventor also gives Rather a unique look at his other inventions, including the much anticipated personal transporter known as the Segway. Kamen has been lobbying around the country for legislation that will allow the Segway to be used on sidewalks.

“More than half the human population lives in cities,” says Kamen. “If we could give them an attractive, productive alternative to using great big vehicles to get around at speeds of seven or eight miles an hour, which is the average speed of a taxicab in the 20 largest cities on the planet, it would by itself be a huge, huge solution to the congestion and pollution and energy-demand problems the world is facing today.”

The Stirling engine is the basis of Kamen’s latest attempt to change the world. Engineers have dreamed about it for at least a century and Kamen thinks he has conquered the technological obstacles. He hopes the Stirling engine will enable him to build a device that can deliver electricity and clean drinking water to remote locations.

-dave

Casey
11-12-2002, 08:57 PM
Thanks Dave,

That pretty well lays it out. It will still make interesting TV for everyone but those who were still hoping for some fantasy device.

ftropea
11-12-2002, 09:14 PM
Awww man! And here I was writing a 1,000 word essay explaining how I was wrong and that Ginger really did fly! j/k

As I said, I'm looking forward to the piece - although I don't expect, at best, more than an update on the Stirling project, the Segway-HT and Kamen's most beloved invention - FIRST.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Blinky
11-13-2002, 09:42 PM
I guess it is the stirling after all :)