PDA

View Full Version : No Break Kickstand

wayne
05-06-2003, 08:05 PM
I will never break my kickstand, and thats a fact.

Spring loaded and bolts direct to the Segway.
The stock kickstand is hard to engage, have to tilt the Seg back to much.
With mine I just push down and turn to lock, to raise just turn to the left and the spring loaded kickstand pops up.

http://www.kcaps.com/kickstand.jpg

Seg-On

terryp
05-06-2003, 08:38 PM
Clever design. Maybe you could improve it by allowing it to automatically release if the bottom end moved toward the rear of the platform. Then if someone forgot to release it, it couldn't trip the HT. Then again, it would be hard to forget when it's so visible. Or, instead of a round knob you could use a horizontal lever that would be in the way of your foot if you tried to step on. Not bad as-is though. Looks really sturdy.

Practicing Safe Segs in Seattle

hubbahbubbah
05-06-2003, 09:16 PM
Wayne, I love your posts! So inventive!

Man, I wish I had a Segway just so I could come up with accessories for it. Nice job...

How do you work it exactly? Do you deploy and retract it with your feet or hands? What is the behavior of the Segway if you try to ride it while deployed?

Hubbah

::: http://stinkyshorts.blogspot.com :::

larryKay
05-06-2003, 11:17 PM
Stock screw holes ? Are these on the Segway or on the carrier ? looks great. For sale ?

Larry

pam
05-07-2003, 09:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by larryKay

Stock screw holes ? Are these on the Segway or on the carrier ? looks great. For sale ?

Larry

Hey, guys, this is the perfect opportunity for me to throw in a plug for our "Segway Stuff" forum. All of Wayne's products are there for sale, along with other things that board members have designed and offered for sale - plus some 3rd market things. It's so easy for things to get lost in the "discussion" thread that it was decided to keep these things all together so you could find them. Go on over and look!
Pam

MONTIE
05-07-2003, 12:04 PM
Again thanks Wayne....Montie

Lohja
05-07-2003, 03:30 PM
Good design Wayne. How much? One suggestion--make it longer so the Segway will not be level when parked. I believe the Segway should be elevated at the back. If it's level, it will be two inviting for someone to step on the platform.

Visit my Segway Blog page at http://galsegway01.blogspot.com

wayne
05-07-2003, 03:52 PM
Lohji,

You can stand on the Seg without any problem , you will not break it. But to tilt it back would be no problem either.

Seg-On

Brooster
05-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Wayne, we're tryin' real hard to cut you some slack on this one, but if it becomes any more evident that this thread was started for sales-related purposes, we will move it to the "Segway Stuff" forum. You're a great guy and a valued contributor to the community, but "the rules is the rules," and believe it or not we really don't find any great pleasure in continually moving threads to the appropriate forums. Help us out here, okay? :)

Thanks.
Broo

Brooster

BruceWright
05-07-2003, 06:06 PM
With all of your accessories, the kickstand, the glide pad, the side panels, the front tray, the bag....

Is your segway going slower with all that weight?

;)

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

wayne
05-07-2003, 06:09 PM
Booster,

I understand completely.
Just trying to let folks know that there is a cure for the broke plastic kickstand.
If you think its for the best or you feel more comfortable with this topic being moved then its your call.

Thanks

Wayne

hubbahbubbah
05-07-2003, 07:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Brooster

Wayne, we're tryin' real hard to cut you some slack on this one, but if it becomes any more evident that this thread was started for sales-related purposes, we will move it to the "Segway Stuff" forum. You're a great guy and a valued contributor to the community, but "the rules is the rules," and believe it or not we really don't find any great pleasure in continually moving threads to the appropriate forums. Help us out here, okay? :)

Thanks.
Broo

Hey Broo,

I totally agree with the philosophy of locking sales threads out of this forum, but this one is completely relevant. Sometimes the sale of a new item is big news. In this case, we have been talking about the broken kickstand issue forever and it seems like this is absolutely relevant to that topic.

Further, it seems to me that the for-sale forum's new posts are very easy to miss. Maybe if the design was changed so that it would be easier to keep up with the new postings to that forum -- people would be less tempted to sell stuff in the 'Discussion' area. Is it possible to do something about that?

Hubbah

hubbahbubbah
05-07-2003, 07:40 PM
I would add that, as a matter of policy, news of new sale items should be allowed on the 'Discussion' forum, in my opinion.

Before we had the Segways delivered, we spoke endlessly about anticipating it. Now that we have them, the topic is often about how to extend them in different ways -- thus an accessory that solves a heretofore bothersome problem should be a welcome discussion topic. I.e. an accessory to charge batteries, a new way to carry more stuff, or a new way to light up the road ahead. The criteria should be 'Is it newsworthy?' If it is, the 'Discussion' forum should be OK.

Moderators, what do you think?

Hubbah

Brooster
05-08-2003, 12:04 AM
Okay guys, here are my feelings on the matter, and I want to make it clear that I'm not speaking on behalf of the entire Moderator Team here at SegwayChat. Wayne, I appreciate your response, and your nice e-mail.

Hubbah, I think there's sometimes a very fine line between starting a thread for the purpose of discussing and sharing an "idea" (and sometimes an idea is indeed "newsworthy") ... and advertising and creating interest in a "product." It's a line--that for a moderator--is sometimes very difficult to call. Do I consider Wayne's kickstand innovative and newsworthy? Absolutely. Did I see Wayne openly offer this as a "product" for sale? Absolutely not. Did I see people asking him how much he would charge for it? Yes. Did I see Wayne name a price or reply saying, "send me an e-mail," which might indicate that he was doing business in our main forum? I didn't, and that's why the thread is still here. Have I personally moved a good number of Wayne's other "product" threads to the "Segway Stuff" forum? You betcha. Did I move JM Lexus' and Nevrland's initial Segway HT marketing efforts from our main forum to the "Stuff" forum? I did indeed.

Let's consider the following hypothetical situation: If I (or some other member) were to start a thread drawing attention to a new dealership--and if that dealer were to do the same thing (just for the sake of argument, let's just say the dealer did it in his very first post here at SC)--whose thread would seem more like "news," and whose would seem more like advertising? What would your perception be if you were a moderator?

Here's another hypothetical: Let's say a bright, inventive and enterprising guy like Wayne has indeed come up with a wonderful new kickstand that can solve all of our long-documented kickstand woes. He has two choices. "Choice number one" is he can mention in an existing kickstand discussion thread that, "hey, I've come up with this great kickstand that I'm thinking about marketing it, and here's a link to a photo in my new thread over at Segway Stuff." If you were a moderator, what would your reaction be to his exercising choice number one? You'd probably say, "Oh, well that's cool!" "Choice number two" is starting a new thread in the main forum. As a moderator, having moved several of this person's threads before, what would your perceptions be about his excercising choice number two? What would your perceptions be when people start to ask, "how much?"

I hope you can appreciate that it's hard to be in the unpopular position of having to make value judgements, and having to try to "mind-read" people's intentions and/or motives.

I appreciate a good business opportunity as well as the next person. I appreciate the heck out of things being made available to us. I'm delighted that Segway LLC is experimenting with re-sellers/dealers, and I'm excited about the opportunities that creates for everyone. There doubtless will be a flood of other opportunities spawned by this technology.

But the bottom line--of our Administrator's rule pertaining to all of this--is really pretty simple. Folks, please don't start threads in our main forum to sell your stuff. Frank's provided an area on the board where people are welcome and encouraged to do just that. Hubbah, I really don't know what we can do to make the "stuff" forum more "visible," but we're certainly open to suggestions. We just don't want to allow our main forum to become one big "Spam-fest," and it will if we begin allowing marketing and advertising. We like our forum just the way it's always been, and we think most of our members feel the same way. We now have over 900 members, so we must be doing something right. :)

Thanks for your understanding, and for "listening."

Broo

Brooster

wayne
05-08-2003, 12:36 AM
Booster,

Before this get out of hand lets just move this topic.
I have no problem with that.

But just so you will know after all the discussion about the kickstand and nothing was being done about it I figured that I could make myself one and let everyone see it they would know that there was another solution to the kickstand problem everyone is having. That is why I did not say FOR SALE.
If there was an interest in this by someone I felt that they could contact me or better yet make their own.

I'll look for this topic under Segway Stuff tomorrow.

Glide Safe Everyone.

Wayne

hubbahbubbah
05-08-2003, 12:56 AM
Hey Broo,

I'm pretty much with you all the way. It is a fine line, and it's difficult to draw it. I was just speaking up for balance... and I think all is good as long as we keep an open mind.

Hubbah

Brooster
05-08-2003, 11:09 AM
I appreciate your understanding, guys, and your being cool about this. Thread will be moved over to "Segway Stuff" per Wayne's request.

Brooster

segwayowner
05-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Is it for sale? how much?

DES: Segway owner

Brooster
05-08-2003, 06:18 PM
:DThis is pretty funny, Wayne, because I may one day need one of your kickstands myself! Just today, the little metal "90-degree-angle" retaining arm on my kickstand snapped ... right at the 90-degree bend. Segway's sending me a new kickstand assembly, but it'll probably eventually break too, I would guess.

Brooster

wayne
05-08-2003, 06:32 PM
I really didn't think anyone would be interested in the kickstand because everyone one would talk about the original one but no one ever really did anything about it.

I had two inquires last night about the kickstand with one person saying they wanted one.

So I may go ahead and make a few just to see how it goes.

E-Mail me if anyone has an interest for the kickstand.

Booster if you want to give it a try let me know.

I'm going to take my original kickstand off, someone may get desperate and want it.

Seg-On

Brooster
05-08-2003, 06:48 PM
Thanks Wayne, I'll see how it goes with the second kickstand from Segway, and if that one breaks I may contact you. The problem (my problem, anyway) seems to be that the metal they're using in that retaining piece is just too soft, and it breaks down under normal use. Maybe they've remedied this already ... we'll see!

Broo

Brooster

hubbahbubbah
05-09-2003, 04:18 AM

:DThis is pretty funny, Wayne, because I may one day need one of your kickstands myself! Just today, the little metal "90-degree-angle" retaining arm on my kickstand snapped ... right at the 90-degree bend. Segway's sending me a new kickstand assembly, but it'll probably eventually break too, I would guess.

Brooster

Wow, I missed this post until now (ahem, *caugh*, grin), but that's pretty funny Broo!

Hubbah

hubbahbubbah
05-09-2003, 04:21 AM
Hubbah, I really don't know what we can do to make the "stuff" forum more "visible," but we're certainly open to suggestions.

I have an idea. How about putting a "Segway Stuff" link in the menu system at the top of the screen, right under the "Segway Discussion" option?

Hubbah

Brooster
05-09-2003, 09:39 AM
I'll talk to the boss, and see what he thinks ... maybe a new "Stuff" button on the menu bar across the top? Thanks for the suggestion Hubbah.

Brooster

wayne
05-10-2003, 09:52 PM
Due to the response on my kickstand I have desided to produce some for sale.

Painted--$43.50

Powder Coated--$63.00

Bolts direct to the Segway with or without BC Carriers.

http://www.kcaps.com/kickstand.jpg

So, if you want a kickstand that last, check it out.

Seg-On