PDA

View Full Version : Mileage ?

djbmsu
08-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Looking to purchase a 2007 Segway i2 with over 2000 miles should a segway with this many miles bother you. It has new tires and in very good condition with extras so it is the mileage I am questioning ?
Thanks for all replies .

KSagal
08-18-2011, 01:13 AM
I have a 2006 machine with far more miles and it is fine. Postings here have been in excess of 10,000 miles or more. Excellent condition as you said is far more important than the miles.

Bob.Kerns
08-18-2011, 01:59 AM
I have over 4200 miles on my 2008 i2.

I've replaced the tires a few times (three, I think, the last time quite recently).

I've had my gearbox's pulled to examine the elastomeric couplers, which weren't quite brand new -- but were pretty close. I suspect age is as much a factor as miles with those, but they're not difficult to replace or expensive.

My biggest repair was when the spot welds failed on the bracket that the bag hangs from. I brazed it back together, and it's better than new.

If you have the standard kickstand, it will fail. But it will fail precisely because it doesn't work in the first place. Either ignore it, or get a better one. Or you can do what I did for a long time (still have it on there, in fact) -- splint it with some plastic from a milk jug, and some packing tape.

I have the anodized black finish; I've gotten some scratches. I've repaired those with a black Sharpie -- works tolerably well.

In other words, it's a pretty low-maintenance device. The critical item is the batteries. They're expensive, and they do eventually wear out. So long as they're kept charged, what you should see is a gradual decline in range with time. I don't think miles are going to matter a lot. After 3 years, I figure I've lost at most 20% of my range.

If you can ride it on level ground for, say, 5 miles, and only lose about 3 bars of charge, your batteries are pretty good. Ideally, you'd just see 2 bars down. If you lose 4, your batteries are considerably weakened; you have around 50% of the range.

That's just a rough estimate. I picked 5 miles as a compromise between taking a long time to evaluate, and being too short to get a good reading. 5 miles is about 1/2 hour riding mostly at full speed.