PDA

View Full Version : Gen 1 control shaft adjustment: stuck

PeteInLongBeach
04-11-2011, 01:17 AM
I haven't used my i180 in a while, but since the i2 is down (again!) I'm using it in the interim. I need to remove the control shaft to load it in the car next weekend, and just noticed the telescoping adjustment is stuck and I cannot compress the shaft to facilitate its removal from the base. I can loosen the lock collar, but it appears the internal rubber sleeve is stuck and binding around the upper shaft.

I have to assume that others have had this issue before, so I'm wondering what is the best method to un-stick it ? I don't want to use anything that might perish the rubber or damage the plastic. I'm wondering if I can slip a tiny screwdriver between the rubber and the shaft and squirt some amorall or other rubber treatment down there. The lock assembly is riveted to the control shaft, so the only way to remove it is to drill out the rivets... don't want to do that.

eJM
04-11-2011, 04:30 AM
I'm not sure if this would work, but I think something a lot thinner than a screwdriver would be better. Do you have or can you borrow some feeler gauges? Those may be thin enough not to cause any damage. You might spray a tiny amount of WD-40 on both sides and try to slip a blade into the shaft to free the grip of the rubber.

http://www.grumpsplace.com/images/auto/feeler-gauge-set.gif

Jim

PeteInLongBeach
04-11-2011, 05:23 AM
I'm not sure if this would work, but I think something a lot thinner than a screwdriver would be better. Do you have or can you borrow some feeler gauges? Those may be thin enough not to cause any damage. You might spray a tiny amount of WD-40 on both sides and try to slip a blade into the shaft to free the grip of the rubber.

http://www.grumpsplace.com/images/auto/feeler-gauge-set.gif

Jim

Perfect ! I do have a feeler gauge set in the garage. I'll try that and some rubber protectant spray (wd40 is petroleum based and can perish certain rubber compounds). I might also try a hair dryer to warm/soften the rubber a bit.

Gihgehls
04-11-2011, 05:36 PM
I'd probably try tapping it down with a rubber mallet.

emrnyc
04-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Thats worked for me....
I'd probably try tapping it down with a rubber mallet.

KSagal
04-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Along the lines of the hair dryer, (Something I am not too familiar with...;)), you may also try a can of freeze, used for electronics. Use it on the shaft itself, and it should shrink more than the, or at a different rate than the rubber.

Good luck. Keep us informed.

PeteInLongBeach
04-12-2011, 03:28 AM
I used rubber dressing / preservative and the hair dryer, and it released it easily.

Now, if only the fix for the i2 could be this easy... and cheap.

KSagal
04-12-2011, 07:46 PM
I used rubber dressing / preservative and the hair dryer, and it released it easily.

Now, if only the fix for the i2 could be this easy... and cheap.

<O:p</O:p
To what fault on the i2 are you referring?<O:p></O:p>

PeteInLongBeach
04-12-2011, 08:14 PM
<O:p</O:p
To what fault on the i2 are you referring?<O:p></O:p>

http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?p=213799#post213799