PDA

View Full Version : Kamen reveals latest invention on 60 Minutes II

Hybrid
11-11-2002, 01:31 AM
(CBS) Wednesday: November 13, 8 p.m. ET/PT

The man who invented the scooter known as “IT” reveals his latest invention and shows Dan Rather how he thinks it will change the world.

Is this the Stirling debut? Or is the Ibot officially on the market? Or ...

Brooster
11-11-2002, 02:04 AM
We'll check this out ... thanks Hybrid, and welcome to the board.

Brooster

Brooster
11-11-2002, 02:21 AM
Here it is ... yes, Kamen's gonna be on ... supposedly. I don't understand the bit about the October 30th "recap," but here's the link:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1999/05/24/60II/main48284.shtml

Brooster

n/a
11-11-2002, 07:47 AM
Thanks Hybird, that is exciting news. I would imagine he will official reveal the stirling. The ibot has already been revealed to the media.

charmed
11-11-2002, 09:08 AM
Interesting, to say the least. Remember the last time Kamen and Co. were scheduled for 60 minutes? The pandemonium, the anticipation, and after, the amazingly wide spectrum of interpretations of what was actually presented.

I can't wait for this one (although I will have to glean the info from this space as 60 minutes doesn't play in europe).

I hope it is the stirling, or at least includes some new concrete data/time frame info on the stirling.

It could very well be the iBot- even though it has been revealed before, perhaps the FDA is done with their trials and it is indeed ready for market? I could see this as being worthy of a 60 minutes piece.

I'm hoping that a few dedicated souls around these parts have video tapes in place. If it was anything like the last 60 minutes piece, there will no doubt be much to glean between the lines.

Casey
11-11-2002, 09:21 AM
What fascinates me is what appears to be "May 24, 1999" in the URL. That would make it an old story being "Recapped".

charmed
11-11-2002, 09:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by Casey

What fascinates me is what appears to be "May 24, 1999" in the URL. That would make it an old story being "Recapped".

Noooooooo......can't be! Can it?

It is billed as-

"The man who invented the scooter known as “IT” reveals his latest invention and shows Dan Rather how he thinks it will change the world."

Sounds like a new piece, no?

Casey
11-11-2002, 09:53 AM
quote:Sounds like a new piece, no?

I'm at the CBS site trying to figure that out. The way 1999/05/24 shows in the URL is exactly how the dates appear in the URL's for CBS Archives.

That may well be coincidence, and hopefully is. But I can't help but wonder whay it appears that way.

Casey
11-11-2002, 10:22 AM
I also can't help but wonder why they say ""The man who invented the scooter known as “IT” reveals his latest invention" instead of "The man who invented the Segway scooter reveals his latest invention"

It might be that they felt "It" would draw more attention than "Segway". But I think "Segway" is as well knowm as "It".

As all of you do, I hope it really is something new in this continuing saga, but that date reference sure looks suspicious to me.

Casey
11-11-2002, 11:20 AM
Talk about "the more things change, the more they stay the same". Here is a thread I found in the "fantasticforum.com/archives/miscnews/04feb01kamenIT"

quote:lutefisk
Buccaneer
posted 04 February 2001 07:58 PM
Just heard that Dean Kamen, the creator of "It" or "Ginger"
will be on the TV show: 60 Minutes II on Tuesday night at
9:00. (the time may be different where you live.)
IP: Logged

Snorrithor
Swashbuckler
posted 04 February 2001 11:53 PM
Everyone likes Free Advertising!
IP: Logged

lutefisk
Buccaneer
posted 06 February 2001 10:09 AM
Just saw The "Kamen" spot. The wonderful wheelchair
Kamen and his team invented was featured. It goes up and
down stairs with ease! As I expected, Mr.Kamen wouldn't
talk about "Ginger" but, he did show a Sterling engine that
he was working on and he spoke about putting excitement
back into Science.
Wow! What a house this man has! He has a Helicopter in a
room all by itself. He commutes to work by Helicopter. He
also has a huge, steam engine in his living room!
I can't wait to see what Mr.Kamen has come up with!!
[This message has been edited by lutefisk (edited 06
February 2001).]

And another from burrelles.com quote:February 06, 2001

* Adult time; how doing time in adult prisons affects teens; trends in moving the decision from judges to prosecutors
* Parting the waters; the crisis in Venice as global climate changes cause the city's waters to rise
* The wizard of "It"; Dean Kamen discusses his inventions and the rumors about his newest project
* Television technology of TiVo
* Correction on last week's story

muckle
11-11-2002, 12:04 PM
OK, before I get all worked up over this, can we definitely ascertain whether this a NEW piece or not?

Casey
11-11-2002, 12:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by muckle

OK, before I get all worked up over this, can we definitely ascertain whether this a NEW piece or not?

I've been trying, but CBS Archives are garbage, and google isn't doing any better.

muckle
11-11-2002, 12:46 PM
Hmmm... As groovy reminded me on that 'other site', Dan Rather wasn't part of the original 60 Minutes piece. I think Lesley Stahl was.

So, it sure seems to be new!

Somewhere, Bob Metcalfe is chuckling.

Casey
11-11-2002, 12:53 PM
Again, I am not saying it isn't new. But Dan Rather does a lot of reruns of old stories that originally featured other 60 minute hosts. I don't think that is a clue as to whether it is new or not.

He often shows excerpts from past interviews with an update.

n/a
11-11-2002, 12:58 PM
quote:I'm hoping that a few dedicated souls around these parts have video tapes in place. If it was anything like the last 60 minutes piece, there will no doubt be much to glean between the lines.

Me too Charmed.

Perhaps it is time to look for new patents again and check out the Deka site.

muckle
11-11-2002, 01:57 PM
>> (Rather) often shows excerpts from past interviews with an update.<<

D'Oh! So I guess that puts us back at square one.

ftropea
11-11-2002, 02:23 PM
"The man who invented the scooter known as “IT” reveals his latest invention and shows Dan Rather how he thinks it will change the world."

Looks like it should have been worded a little better. They probably mean this:

"Dean Kamen reveals his latest invention, the Segway Human Transporter (also known as Ginger or IT), to Dan Rather and explains why he thinks it will change the world."

But we should still be excited about this...

Are they gearing up for another media wave? Wednesday - 60 Minutes.. what's next?

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

charmed
11-11-2002, 02:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by ftropea

Looks like it should have been worded a little better. They probably mean this:

"Dean Kamen reveals his latest invention, the Segway Human Transporter (also known as Ginger or IT), to Dan Rather and explains why he thinks it will change the world."

But we should still be excited about this...

Are they gearing up for another media wave? Wednesday - 60 Minutes.. what's next?

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

The wording is unfortunate, and probably intended to be double-speak.

Still, if they ignore the stirling I will be very, very disappointed.

Casey
11-11-2002, 02:53 PM
Once again TIQ has gone into "Fantasy" mode. I have watched 60 MinutesII quite a lot. For the most part it borders on tabloid television, and is presented in sound bites. I suppose DK might be desperate, but if I were him I would not be introducing anything on that program. An important reveal would be more apt to occur on 60 Minutes, or again on ABC. Kamen's ties are to ABC and Disney, not CBS.

muckle
11-11-2002, 02:56 PM
>> For the most part it borders on tabloid television, and is presented in sound bites <<

I don't know how true this is. I watched it a week and a half ago (ebay, comics), and AFAIK these were first-run, regular 60 Minutes-type stories. Wasn't anythink tabloidy about it.

Casey
11-11-2002, 03:04 PM
They have a propensity to get on the trail of something to expose, then go after it with a vengence. Very much like National Inquirer etal. That is what I mean by "borders on tabloid television". That is also true of 60 Minutes which has been caught in outright lies and successfully sued. quote:NAMI Condemns CBS's 60 Minutes For "Sound Bite Journalism"

http://www.nami.org/pressroom/20020424.html

Casey
11-11-2002, 04:00 PM
quote: IBot and the Segway.

Oops, you forgot his primary subject. First.

dave27
11-11-2002, 04:41 PM
I think it might be about the IBOT - but I'm hoping for the Stirling:

A Food and Drug Administration advisory committee is scheduled to vote Nov. 20 on whether to preapprove the chair.If it gets the panel's nod, the iBOT may gain final approval from the FDA by mid-2003.

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?level_3_id=7&page=5090986

-dave

ftropea
11-11-2002, 08:24 PM
USFIRST.ORG has posted news about the Sixty Minutes II Dean Kamen interview:

http://www.usfirst.org/about/news/60minutesII_11-8-02.htm

"60 Minutes II to air a segment on Dean Kamen and FIRST.

Dean Kamen, the man who invented the personal mobility device known as “IT” reveals his latest invention and shows Dan Rather how he thinks it will change the world, on (CBS)Wednesday: November 13, 8 p.m. ET/PT.

As many of you know, the 60 minutes II crew was at the FIRST Championship in April 2002, so it is likely that FIRST will be featured in the segment.

Please spread the word."

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

muckle
11-12-2002, 11:24 AM
According to a couple of folks on TIQ, they saw a promo that showed Dean Kamen and Dan Rather dipping cups into a container and then drinking from them. Sure sounds like Stirling! Cool.

charmed
11-12-2002, 02:07 PM
This, from Danumkc, on the Gary Bridge thread:

(CBS) Wednesday: November 13, 8 p.m. ET/PT
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1999/05/24/60II/main48284.shtml

The man who invented the scooter known as “IT” reveals his latest invention and shows Dan Rather how he thinks it will change the world.
Dean Kamen, the man who said his human transporter invention would change people’s lives, has a new invention that, he says, could change the world. The quirky inventor demonstrates for Rather how his latest device creates electricity without pollution and turns contaminated liquid into distilled drinking water.

Please, please, 60 minutes, include hard info on output and availability.

Such a shame that I won't be able to watch the show. Tape it, someone, please.

danumkc
11-12-2002, 03:04 PM
Thanks for moving it for me. Not sure how I posted it in there, but I just started a new topic so we can discuss the invention further.

Casey
11-12-2002, 04:28 PM
Is this it? Issue 8.09 - Sep 2000

quote:Lately, Kamen has broadened his work beyond health care. He believes technology and ingenuity can solve all kinds of social ills - like pollution, limited access to electricity, and contaminated water in many third-world countries, where bacteria from human feces in drinking water is a leading cause of cholera. To help ameliorate the water problem, Deka's team of 170 engineers is working on a nonpolluting engine - funded by several million dollars of Kamen's own money - based on a concept first floated in the early 1800s but never realized.

The device is called the Stirling engine; Kamen hopes it can be developed into an affordable, portable machine that will run a water purifier/power generator that could zap contaminated H20 with a UV laser to make it safe for drinking. "It can burn any fuel, and you can do all kinds of things with it," he says. "It might be very valuable in emerging economies, giving them access to electricity, even the Net."

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.09/kamen_pr.html

nocanfly
11-13-2002, 08:34 PM
So is anyone planning to do a live recap here when the 60 Minutes segment starts? I'm on the west coast so it would be helpful.

charmed
11-13-2002, 08:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by nocanfly

So is anyone planning to do a live recap here when the 60 Minutes segment starts? I'm on the west coast so it would be helpful.

Maybe we could sweet talk Lawerence into doing one of his famous transcription jobs on it?:D

ftropea
11-13-2002, 08:51 PM
I'm going to try and do some still captures and post them... we'll see.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Blinky
11-14-2002, 11:24 PM
Now that this much anticipated segment came out, what do you guys now think about the Segway-HT? They probably could have spent some more time explaining a lot of question that have been floating around here about it safety and other things like that.

If you watched it, they did hit the safety topic but did not demonstrate anything for us public who are interested about it. This would be my only critical opinion about this half hour part of the show.

The stirling was very interesting. I wonder how they plan on launching that nice piece of equipment to the most needy people on the planet.

Seeker
11-14-2002, 11:45 PM
When Kamen spoke on the Talk of the Nation program in January of this year, he said this :
"We’re looking forward over the next year or two to showing some pretty exciting technologies with respect to energy"

So do you think what we've just seen on 60 minutes was what Kamen was referring to, when he talked about 'showing' technologies with respect to energy, or do you think he meant actually producing the Stirling engine ?

Seeker

Seeker
11-15-2002, 12:56 AM
I was looking back over the Vanity Fair article, from April of this year.

Here's a quote from it :

"They have produced two prototypes, one the size of a shoebox, the other the size of a breadbasket, and Kamen hopes to introduce them as commercial products in the next two years."

So, if this article has it right, it will be sometime in 2004, when the first Stirling engines would hit the market !

Seeker

Blinky
11-16-2002, 02:17 PM
If this is true, I think it would be great to own one and play around with it. I am not sure what uses I will have with a stirling engine of my very own right now, I would still buy one.

I wonder who would lead that campaign to lead the stirling engine into success.

Any takers? :D