PDA

View Full Version : Should I really buy one of these quirky things?

JanFromEarth
03-25-2011, 05:38 PM
OK. Considering where I am posting, this is a rhetorical question but I have always been fascinated by them. I put a "wanted to buy" ad in Craigslist and a pawnshop called and wants to unload a Segway 180 for $1K and it needs new batteries.

Having had that call I thought I should contact somebody who knew something about these machines. So.....Hi there. How can you help me?

KSagal
03-25-2011, 09:49 PM
My suggestion would be to find a reputable tour company, and go for a glide. (We call riding a segway gliding)

You may fall in love. (You may not)

Remember, that model you suggested is an older model, has not been made for several years, and parts availability may be a problem if you break it. (Batteries are easier to get, but expensive)

Of course, the answer you would expect from here is 'Yes! Buy it' and I will not disappoint. I love mine. Currently, I have the newer i2.

Good luck, have fun, keep smiling.

JanFromEarth
03-26-2011, 08:13 AM
I have this fear of buying one, using it twice, and then keeping it to ride in parades or something. I started thinking about it because I am going to start using our Metro system and it is just far enough that walking with a computer bag is a pain. Wearing a suit is a bummer on a bicycle so this seems a good option. I see myself zinging to our Metro stop and home on this thing.

How about you?

Rolacoy
03-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Karl is right go on a tour. I would see what the batteries cost and give some thought to a used i2. As far as buying one we really like ours.

Banned_Seg
03-26-2011, 03:02 PM
It may be well worth taking a look at it, and if the parts and pieces are all in one piece, it has keys and is not listed as stolen....

It could net you well more than a grand by parting the I-180 out.

Handlebars alone were going for $1200 last I checked.

Old school gen one wheels and tires - a few bucks

and the mother board with keys could get you close to 2 grand from the right buyer.