PDA

View Full Version : Brooster's Proactive Solutions Thread

Brooster
11-08-2002, 10:26 PM
The "Sidewalk" discussion ...

I think that at some point it approaches the point of "ad nauseum," or the ridiculous. We've already seen far too much of this sort of thing on TIQ. I propose that we move toward a more productive discussion, with a focus on the positive, and what MIGHT be possible.

Debating whether or not Segway should be allowed on "sidewalks" carries with it the implicit assumption that we all live in like conditions. We don't.

After a point (which was reached at TIQ long ago), arguing for the sake of arguing, in my opinion is a "wash" ... it doesn't do anything ... it doesn't contribute anything productive. We all know the arguments ... there's not a lot more to be said.

Here are what I see as the "core" issues ... and they will vary greatly with geographical area, demographics, infrastucture, and local "history" and "culture." These are not necessarily in order of importance (we could argue about that as well).

A) Population (and automobile) density.
B) Physical layout (width) of sidewalks.
C) The very existence of sidewalks (many small or "farm" communities don't even have them).
D) The median age of a community's population.
E) Percentage of population who might be prone to use Segway as a "troublemaking" device (I'd propose that most couldn't afford it).
F) The general propensity of a community to embrace new technology.
G) The community's law enforcement capabilities.
H) The community's perception of "equal access" (availability) to the technology.

These are only a few "core issues." There have to be many more. What bugs me about the "sidewalk" debate is the egocentric perspective that most of the debaters take. Most people aren't able to see beyond the sidewalk in front of their home or business ... what "works" for them must "work" for everyone. It seems like most people are unable to take a global perspective ... to see the bigger picture ... to look beyond their own noses.

I'm not interested in hearing about why it might work in Manchester, New Hampshire, and why it might not work in Santa Cruz, California. We all know that communities are as different as individual people.

Nor am I interested in hearing protracted arguments about bicycles on sidewalks. Most of us grew up being able to ride our bikes on any sidewalk we wanted ... but that's not what this site is about.

I'm interested in "the common denominator" .... in what needs to be done to get Segway on the market ... and out there where it can be tested in real life. I'm interested in positive, pro-active solutions and applications.

Let's help Segway get this done. Identify some issues and ways in which they might be addressed. Better yet, let's identify some real-life applications. We know that the Segway folks are here and looking, and we know that we have ideas. So let's fire up and fire off.

Broo

Brooster

Brooster
11-08-2002, 10:37 PM
I'll start it off.

I live in Chicago, basically overlooking an enormous water-main break that's caused big traffic problems on "inner" and "outer" Lake Shore Drive. I've stood on my balcony watching individual police officers and other city employees shuttle back and forth in Ford Crown Victorias ... just to talk to each other and coordinate activities.

A single truck with a generator, charging say 20 Segways, could allow the city workers to get around much more efficiently, interact with the public, answer questions about traffic problems, and free up heavier assets for more pressing issues.

Hey, just a thought ...

Brooster

GlideMaster
11-09-2002, 12:20 AM
Hey Brooster, do you swim? I forgot you were that close to the break. Hope your car was not parked near the main break. I wanted to Segway today but there was just to much going on if you know what I mean. Keep dry.
;)

quote:Originally posted by Brooster

I'll start it off.

I live in Chicago, basically overlooking an enormous water-main break that's caused big traffic problems on "inner" and "outer" Lake Shore Drive. I've stood on my balcony watching individual police officers and other city employees shuttle back and forth in Ford Crown Victorias ... just to talk to each other and coordinate activities.

A single truck with a generator, charging say 20 Segways, could allow the city workers to get around much more efficiently, interact with the public, answer questions about traffic problems, and free up heavier assets for more pressing issues.

Hey, just a thought ...

Brooster

Brooster
11-09-2002, 03:34 AM
I do swim Weskifm ... LOL.

I'm a block and a half south of "the hole" ... that swallowed a couple of parked cars. That 36-inch water main, very close to a major pumping station, erupted like a geyser and took a lot of soil (basically sand) away with it as it flooded the Drive.

It's all in view from my balcony. If the city had a fleet of Segways to press into service, to get around on and inform motorists in the surrounding area, things would have gone a lot smoother today.

Brooster

n/a
11-09-2002, 09:51 AM
Interesting input Broo.

quote:I'm not interested in hearing about why it might work in Manchester, New Hampshire, and why it might not work in Santa Cruz, California. We all know that communities are as different as individual people.

Actually I think that is interesting.

quote:Nor am I interested in hearing protracted arguments about bicycles on sidewalks. Most of us grew up being able to ride our bikes on any sidewalk we wanted ... but that's not what this site is about.

I hope the site remains open and flexible for discussions that are loosly related to Segway and Kamen's vision of how he hopes they will impact society. At least I hope we remain flexible until there is sufficient Segway related news to keep discussion going.

quote:I'm interested in "the common denominator" .... in what needs to be done to get Segway on the market ...

Sounds like u want to work for Segway. ;)

quote: ...and out there where it can be tested in real life. I'm interested in positive, pro-active solutions and applications.

By all means, lets have discussions on this.

quote: Let's help Segway get this done. Identify some issues and ways in which they might be addressed. Better yet, let's identify some real-life applications. We know that the Segway folks are here and looking, and we know that we have ideas. So let's fire up and fire off.

We have been discussing "real-life applications" for quite a while. I am looking forward to new ideas.

quote:I live in Chicago, basically overlooking an enormous water-main break that's caused big traffic problems on "inner" and "outer" Lake Shore Drive. I've stood on my balcony watching individual police officers and other city employees shuttle back and forth in Ford Crown Victorias ... just to talk to each other and coordinate activities.

What other technology be better suited to such tasks I wonder. Mobile phones with cameras maybe?

Seeker
11-09-2002, 01:48 PM
quote:
E) Percentage of population who might be prone to use Segway as a "troublemaking" device (I'd propose that most couldn't afford it).

Hi Brooster,

Good thread. I prefer to discuss the possibility of solutions to problems, rather than just focussing on problems.

I believe there are some solutions which may work to address 2 of the problems you've mentioned above.

I think that there will be some trouble makers among the population of Segway riders. One way to minimize the amount of problems associated with Segway riders would be to have Segway riders obtain licence plates (though not licences). That way people could report riders who were driving at excess speeds, or out of control, to the authorities.

Another way to cut down on excessive speeds, I think, is to have a detector mounted on the Segway which detects the speed of objects in front of the Segway, and first issues a vibrational warning to the driver to reduce speed. Then possibly if this warning was not heeded, the machine could assume control of the speed, to reduce it to an acceptable level. ( If the driver was first given the opportunity to reduce the limit himself, then he would not be taken by surprise should the machine have to assume control).

It would be fair to ask whether any driver should be passing by a pedestrian at more than a few miles per hour, just as you would not be driving by a school zone at a fair clip, especially when school is on for the day.

If these 2 measures were introduced, this may go a good way to addressing another concern you had touched on :

The possibility of reporting Segway drivers who misused their privileges on the sidewalk, and of controlling speed (beginning with first with a low instrusive method), are two approaches I can think of, which may be worth exploring.

Seeker

GlideMaster
11-09-2002, 03:39 PM
Hi Seeker,

I'm not one to bring up problems without the solution but. I'm in the crazy city of Chicago. If one of the Chicago nay sayers gets a bright idea to just call in every person on a Segway there would be a big problem . That's just like here in Chicago Taxi drivers get tickets without being stopped sometimes.

I think we really have to resign ourselves to the fact that there will always be that twenty (20) percent that disagrees with any and everything that is created. And yes that 20% probably even disagrees with the creation of mankind.

quote:Originally posted by Seeker

quote:

Hi Brooster,

Good thread. I prefer to discuss the possibility of solutions to problems, rather than just focussing on problems.

I believe there are some solutions which may work to address 2 of the problems you've mentioned above.

I think that there will be some trouble makers among the population of Segway riders. One way to minimize the amount of problems associated with Segway riders would be to have Segway riders obtain licence plates (though not licences). That way people could report riders who were driving at excess speeds, or out of control, to the authorities.

Another way to cut down on excessive speeds, I think, is to have a detector mounted on the Segway which detects the speed of objects in front of the Segway, and first issues a vibrational warning to the driver to reduce speed. Then possibly if this warning was not heeded, the machine could assume control of the speed, to reduce it to an acceptable level. ( If the driver was first given the opportunity to reduce the limit himself, then he would not be taken by surprise should the machine have to assume control).

It would be fair to ask whether any driver should be passing by a pedestrian at more than a few miles per hour, just as you would not be driving by a school zone at a fair clip, especially when school is on for the day.

If these 2 measures were introduced, this may go a good way to addressing another concern you had touched on :

The possibility of reporting Segway drivers who misused their privileges on the sidewalk, and of controlling speed (beginning with first with a low instrusive method), are two approaches I can think of, which may be worth exploring.

Seeker

Brooster
11-11-2002, 01:50 AM
Lawrence, I appreciate your comments, and your desire to keep the discussion loose in the absence of other news. And yes, I'd love to work for Segway. I doubt there's many of us here who wouldn't, given the right opportunity.

Seeker, excellent input ... thank you.

I don't mean to be a pain in the *** by starting this thread, but I'm ready for more positive input. I want to read about present (and/or future) real-life problems, and how they might be addressed using the Segway as a solution.

When I read posts about bicycles on sidewalks, it just puts me to sleep. That's old news. People have been arguing about bikes on sidewalks since I was a 10-year-old, riding my Schwinn StingRay. I never knocked any little old ladies down back then, and Segway riders probably won't knock down any more in the future.

I think we need to "move on." Having a product released and on the market would help. Come on Dean, let's put the rubber on the road. It's time to get this thing done.

Brooster