PDA

View Full Version : NJ & Pa Building Segway/Bicycle Roads

Casey
11-08-2002, 05:01 PM
Posted on Sun, Sep. 08, 2002
By Jere Downs
Inquirer Staff Writer

quote:quote:Within months, the Segway - the self-balancing, electric-powered "personal transporter" - is expected on the market. Pennsylvania lawmakers amended the Motor Vehicle Code in June to allow the $3,000 superscooter, with a top speed of 12.5 m.p.h., on sidewalks and bike paths. New Jersey legislators plan to take up the issue next year.

The tandem development: nearly 1,000 miles of safe commuting routes for Segwayers and cyclists in Southeastern Pennsylvania and South Jersey. Bikeways planned to ease commuting for cyclists

By Jere Downs
Inquirer Staff Writer

Ed Hein says his daily commute is heart-healthy and ecofriendly. It only sounds suicidal.

Starting at 6:15 a.m. in Chalfont, Bucks County, he pedals his custom-built, 24-speed Bilenky bike south on Route 202, sucked along in the draft of trucks at up to 50 m.p.h. In Norristown, he scoots past snarled traffic. On Route 23, he shares a thin lane with big rigs headed toward West Conshohocken.

After 17 miles and 50 minutes, Hein, 38, is at GlaxoSmithKline, where he supervises the pharmaceutical giant's R&D software operations.

"I don't think it's insane," he says of the trip. "What's insane is global warming and heart disease and obesity in society."

Hein's refusal to surrender to the car sets him apart from nearly everyone else. Just 5 percent of the labor force in the eight-county Philadelphia region bikes or walks to work - the lowest since 1960, when the census began keeping track.

But change may be afoot, thanks to the confluence of invention and megabucks investments in industrial-strength bikeways.

Within months, the Segway - the self-balancing, electric-powered "personal transporter" - is expected on the market. Pennsylvania lawmakers amended the Motor Vehicle Code in June to allow the $3,000 superscooter, with a top speed of 12.5 m.p.h., on sidewalks and bike paths. New Jersey legislators plan to take up the issue next year.

The tandem development: nearly 1,000 miles of safe commuting routes for Segwayers and cyclists in Southeastern Pennsylvania and South Jersey.

Planners' maps show the region webbed with bikeways. Already, 267 miles are open, including the Delaware Canal Towpath (Bristol to Easton), the Schuylkill River Trail (Philadelphia Art Museum to Valley Forge), and two-thirds of Montgomery County's Perkiomen Trail (Valley Forge to Oaks).

Another 109 miles are either under construction or will be within three years.

In the conceptual stage and awaiting funding are 531 more miles of trails. In South Jersey, the largest of them is the nine-mile East Atlantic Bikeway along the White Horse Pike, linking Oaklyn and Clementon.

No packed-dirt paths, these. Most are scaled-down highways, as wide as 14 feet, with four-foot shoulders and bridges sturdy enough to carry police cars and ambulances. They will whisk riders through some of the region's nastiest congestion, and pass such commercial centers as Chesterbrook, Willow Grove and Fort Washington.

"They really are roads, just not for cars," said planner John Wood, who oversees Montgomery County's trail construction. They are "a way to get to work."

Since 1999 in Southeastern Pennsylvania alone, $26 million in mostly federal funds has been targeted to bike and pedestrian projects. Of that, $8.4 million is left, if not for long.

Some of it will be used for the 16-mile Chester Valley Trail, which will hook onto the Schuylkill River Trail at King of Prussia via a bike bridge over I-76, and skirt the Route 202 soundwalls to Downingtown. Most of it should be open by 2005.

The rest of the money is going into the final nine miles of the 19-mile Perkiomen Trail, which by next year will extend to Green Lane in northwest Montgomery County.

Also down the pike:

Work is to begin next year on the five-mile Cobbs Creek Bikeway linking West Philadelphia and Upper Darby and emptying into on-road bike lanes leading to Philadelphia International Airport.

The south end of the Schuylkill River Trail will be extended two miles, from the Art Museum to Locust Street, via the river's east bank. The project, a $6.4 million design challenge, is expected to get under way this fall and be finished next year.

In 2004, a nine-mile trail will be built in conjunction with construction of the new Route 202 from Doylestown to Montgomeryville.

Ed Hein, for one, is pumped. He concedes his current commute is "urban assault riding" and understands why hardly anyone is out there with him.

"When cars are stuck in traffic, it's easy," he said. But "it's unnerving when they are passing you at 50 and 60 m.p.h. The advantage you have on a bike is that you can see a lot more... . You can see them coming."

If bikeways are only now garnering serious attention - not to mention serious bucks - do not credit the masses.

Since 1970, the mileage driven by the average American in a year has increased 143 percent. When placing blame, experts single out sprawl, which has put ever-greater distances between home and job.

Laziness doesn't help, either.

"People just want to get in their car and turn on the ignition," said Robert Ravelli, author of the 1993 book, Car Free in Philadelphia: The Regional Public Transit Guide, and a transportation planner for the city.

Exacerbating the problem, government officials have "acted like there is no responsibility to accommodate bicycles or pedestrians because everyone is going to get everywhere by car," said Bill Wilkinson, of the National Center for Bicycling and Walking, an advocacy group in Washington. "It's a self-fulfilling prophecy."

In a roundabout way, that began to change in the mid-1990s.

To foster "green commuting," the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency threatened to cut off transportation funds to the Philadelphia region unless the business community produced a plan to reduce the number of solo drivers by 25 percent.

Companies rebelled at the prospect of being fined as much as $25,000 if employees did not comply, and EPA backed off.

The agency then allowed counties to choose their own alternative-transportation projects.

Most opted for bike and pedestrian networks - at least partly the result of Montgomery County's forging ahead with the Perkiomen Trail, said Chester County planner Lee Whitmore. That "shamed us into action."

Whitmore also noted a "complete turnaround" by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. Now, on major road resurfacing projects, the agency routinely stripes bike lanes and widens shoulders for cyclists. In Philadelphia alone, that policy has produced 150 miles of on-road bike lanes; in 1995, only Columbus Boulevard was striped.

Some believe pedal power translates into economic power, by turning the region into "a more livable location [that] attracts business and talent," said Laurie Actman, spokeswoman for the corporate consortium, Greater Philadelphia First.

Pittsburgh, however, will have a leg up on Philadelphia when the East Coast's first bike-and-blade station opens there next year. The $275,000 depot will have bike parking and repair, plus a cafe, in walking distance of a downtown riverfront trail and light rail station.

PennDot, which partly funded the depot, had first sought to build it in Philadelphia, according to Christopher Johnston, the agency official who managed the research funds. But Pittsburgh city and port authority officials rallied to the cause and captured the project.

Johnston is unfazed by the abysmally low number of bike commuters. Open enough trails, he says, and they will pedal:

"We build highways, confident that they will be used. We have to build bike facilities the same way."

Casey
11-08-2002, 05:10 PM
quote:But change may be afoot, thanks to the confluence of invention and megabucks investments in industrial-strength bikeways.

Could the "down with Segway" crowd be trying to shoot the device that is actually improving the bicycles lot? Going by the above article, it looks as if Pennsylvania and New Jersey are building roads for Segways and bicycles. Would this have been done for bicycles only? Maybe it's time for bicyclists to reconsider their anti-Segway retoric.

JohnM
11-08-2002, 06:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by Casey
Could the "down with Segway" crowd be trying to shoot the device that is actually improving the bicycles lot? Going by the above article, it looks as if Pennsylvania and New Jersey are building roads for Segways and bicycles. Would this have been done for bicycles only? Maybe it's time for bicyclists to reconsider their anti-Segway retoric.

Casey, Casey, Casey. Here you go again.

First, the feeling of bicyclists toward Segway reflects the feeling of the general population; some pro, some con, mostly indifferent. Those green organizations that promote cycling and walking are the ones most opposed to Segways. But I think there is a general feeling among cyclists that if a Segway can replace a car, everyone benefits. As the New York Bicycling Coalition said about Segway, "Hoped for benefits include increased industrial productivity, better public mobility, a new transportation option for the handicapped, and less reliance on gasoline powered vehicles. These benefits seem plausible and so NYBC welcomes this new technology."

Next, these kind of massive public works projects have been in the pipeline for years, since the passage of TEA-21 - The Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century. http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/tea21/factsheets/b-ped.htm
States that want to get federal highway money have to also buy into rail, bike and pedestrian projects. There are billions of dollars out there for alternative transportation projects and bike groups have been working hard to get their share. I've heard nothing about Segway being envolved. When I have brought the issue of TEA-21 up in these forums, the pro-Segway/anti-bike elements poo-pooed the idea of cooperating with sweaty bike groups. Segways are getting a free ride on this one.quote:Since 1999 in Southeastern Pennsylvania alone, $26 million in mostly federal funds has been targeted to bike and pedestrian projects. Of that, $8.4 million is left, if not for long.The money was budgeted in 1999. "Would this have been done for bicycles only?" It was Casey.

Re-read the story. The words Segway or Segwayist are used 4 times vs 25 times for bike, bicycle and bicyclist. Nuff said.

Finally, Ed Hein currently rides his bike 17 miles to work in 50 minutes. That's averaging 20mph. I wonder how he will feel about the slow moving Segways blocking his way on the new paths. Especially those with the dead batteries. ;)

ps Here's the original source.
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/4024590.htm

Casey
11-08-2002, 07:27 PM
You seem to have missed this part.
quote:The tandem development: nearly 1,000 miles of safe commuting routes for Segwayers and cyclists in Southeastern Pennsylvania and South Jersey.

Do you suppose the "Segwayers" part was thrown in by the bicyclists just to be nice to Dean Kamen? I don't think so from what I have seen of bicyclists attitude.

Segway is very much a part of the future planning for these "roads". Had it not been a part of the reason for the current projects, it would not have been mentioned at all.

quote:The words Segway or Segwayist are used 4 times vs 25 times for bike, bicycle and bicyclist

It is hardly surprising for the bicycle advocates to mention the bicycle in a ratio of 6 to 1 as opposed to Segway.

This information comes from a bicycle enthusiast forum.

JohnM
11-08-2002, 11:11 PM
Casey:

1. The money was budgeted in 1999. How can they have had Segways in mind?

2. This story is from the Philly Inquirer, not some bike forum, under the title, "Bikeways planned to ease commuting for cyclists". Does that tell you anything? http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/4024590.htm

3. Do you read my posts before you reply to them?

Runnin' with the Big Dogs

Casey
11-09-2002, 09:40 AM
quote:3. Do you read my posts before you reply to them?

Absolutely, and they are generally quite condescending. That makes it difficult to carry on a conversation with you.

The author of that article is the transportation reporter for the Inquirer. I have researched and found no other type of article by him/her. I found it on the following bicycle forum just as I said.

http://www.mail-archive.com/bike@list.purple.com/maillist.html#00066

http://www.mail-archive.com/bike@list.purple.com/msg00009.html

Reading other of Jere Downs articles I find him/her to be highly bicycle oriented and therefore also a bicycle advocate. Jere Downs who is obviously a bicycle and bicycle roadway usage advocate wrote that article with Segway named FIRST in calling them " nearly 1,000 miles of safe commuting routes for Segwayers and cyclists in Southeastern Pennsylvania and South Jersey."

The 26 million you point out quote:Since 1999 in Southeastern Pennsylvania alone, $26 million in mostly federal funds has been targeted to bike and pedestrian projects. Of that, $8.4 million is left, if not for long. was not allocated only for bikes.

As Segway was not officially in existence at that time it could hardly have been named directly in the appropriation proceedings. However as of now it IS named and a major part of the reason for those roads/paths.

If you read some of Downs other articles you will find a lot of concern that bicycles are loosing ground on road usage, expecially of bridges and divided roadways. My suggestion is that the appearance of Segway may actually be a help to bicyclists by giving a reason for more and better Segway/bicycle roadways that are off limits to car and truck traffic.

For cyclists, having to dodge a few of those slow horrible Segways may prove to be easier than avoiding being run over by 18 wheelers on the Jersey Turnpike (only an example).

quote:The money was budgeted in 1999. "Would this have been done for bicycles only?" It was Casey. quote:bike and pedestrian projects

n/a
11-09-2002, 11:23 AM
quote:quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Do you read my posts before you reply to them?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely, and they are generally quite condescending. That makes it difficult to carry on a conversation with you.

I with Casey on this. All of us moderators have welcomed your informative posts JohnM. I appreciate critical views being posted here when they are informed views. U have recieved a lot of postitive feedback on that. But u do have a clear tendency to make personal attacks. That is not what this forum is about. I, and perhaps the others here, (I cant speak for them) might be willing to engage in a brawl with u on TIQ. But here, we work hard to avoid provocative posts that imply that people are stupid uninformed, have ulterior motives etc. because they disagree with our viewpoint and state their reasons.

As for the topic being discussed here, I am enjoying it. By all means continue.

charmed
11-10-2002, 10:27 PM
I too am enjoying the exchange. I'll only mention one small bone to pick- periodically the Segway is presented as if it will be a pain for bicyclists to pass on a bike path.

I say this will not be so, unless there are literally millions of them sold (in which case, it won't just be the bikepaths in our infrastructure that will begin to look a bit different).

In Amsterdam, home of the bike, I routinely pass any number of odd slow moving contraptions- other bikes, pedestrians, tourists, perambulators, mini cars, roller bladers, etc. I haven't hit one yet, and in the year and a half I've been riding the streets, bikelanes, and sidewalks of Amsterdam I could count the number of collisions I have been witness to on one hand.

Bikes here are required by law to have a little thumb bell. We use it constantly to alert people they are being passed, or to just let people know you are coming through. Highly effective, stress-less, and all too simple.

On the other hand, in the dense center of the city, bike traffic (the fastest way to get somewhere, by far), rarely flows faster than 10 to 15 mph. There are just too many variables to safely go much faster. Even so, passing is not an issue (although there are the occasional hot-headed locals who enjoy riding up hard and silent on unsuspecting tourist pedestrians wandering onto a bike lane and screaming Dutch epithets at them for (sick) laughs, which is something altogether different).

Bikes and Segways will (the Gods be willing) live in great harmony with each other, IMO.

Brooster
11-11-2002, 01:21 AM
Good to see you here Charmed.

It seems that for the time-being, we're a bit mired in the bicycle vs Segway discussion ... which in my opinion, becomes more unnecessary and indeed "pedantic" with each post. But Casey, Lawrence and John M seem to enjoy it, so who am I to say?

I just want to talk about the Segway, and its applications. I realize that for people who've not yet personally seen one--let alone stood on one--we might as well be talking about walking on the Moon.

Well, it's real, and it's (hopefully) coming soon. And you guys are gonna love it. I think that when you all have the opportunity to get on one, the bickering will stop.

Broo

Brooster

Casey
11-11-2002, 08:25 AM
quote: the bickering will stop.

Well 'roaster, if it weren't for "bickering" there wouldn't be anything going on right now. I'm afraid though that the bickering as you call it is as much a product of personality clashes as anything else. That won't stop as long as there are people with varying attitudes. One hot head meets another hot head, and you have the formula for a barroom brawl. That seems to be true of the entire world. The best we can do here is to keep the personal attacks to a mininum as much as we can so we don't become a reflection of the other It/Ginger forums.

Like you, I wish there were more to discuss at the moment, but all the forums as well as news sources concerning Segway are "information challenged" right now. I know this quite well as I try to find new articles for our "News" section.

At least a partial solution for this dillema is for those who want good Segway discussions to scour the internet and other possible sources including other forums for good information we haven't discussed here, and keep their own threads going by being the main contributors to them. Your new thread is an attempt at that and I appreciate the effort on your part to help keep us talking until Segway finally manages to release the "Consumer" Segway. At that time we should enjoy a resurgence of interest and a decrease in the borderline subjects. Then we can have a period of personal reporting of Segway experiences accompanied by an increase of real information about our favorite "bickering" subject. ;)

JohnM
11-11-2002, 10:57 AM
Amen.

Runnin' with the Big Dogs

GlideMaster
11-11-2002, 12:28 PM
Brooster I'm with you. If they only knew from whence we speak. I guess if you've never tried it one would lack that link or logical or natural association to the Segway.

quote:Originally posted by Brooster

Good to see you here Charmed.

It seems that for the time-being, we're a bit mired in the bicycle vs Segway discussion ... which in my opinion, becomes more unnecessary and indeed "pedantic" with each post. But Casey, Lawrence and John M seem to enjoy it, so who am I to say?

I just want to talk about the Segway, and its applications. I realize that for people who've not yet personally seen one--let alone stood on one--we might as well be talking about walking on the Moon.

Well, it's real, and it's (hopefully) coming soon. And you guys are gonna love it. I think that when you all have the opportunity to get on one, the bickering will stop.

Broo

Brooster