PDA

View Full Version : From X-1 to HT

Casey
11-08-2002, 12:08 PM
Looks like this non-nerd likes Segway. Chuck Yeager was the first human ever to fly "Supersonic". I saw him on TV this week making his last supersonic flight. It doesn't look like Segway was a letdown to someone who has spent much of his life breaking the sound barrier, although it was mentioned that it would nice if it had wings.

By the way, that is Segway #1 he is riding. I don't know if you had seen this before, but it is the first time I have seen where #1 went.

http://www.benchmark-research.com/Whats_New.htm

quote:FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Specialty Chemicals/Technology Firm Successful Bidder for #1 Segway Human-Transport

HOUSTON/MIDLAND, TEXAS (April 1, 2002) -- Wayne
Kinsey, President/CEO of Benchmark Research & Technology,
Inc., a Houston and Midland, Texas-based specialty chemical and
technology company, announced today that the company was the
successful bidder for the Segway™ HT #1. An auction for the
first three prototypes of the Segway Human Transporter (HT),
invented by Dean Kamen, netted $364,800 for FIRST, a nonprofit
organization founded to inspire an appreciation of science
and technology in young people, their schools, and communities.
The Segway HT is the first self-balancing, electric-powered
vehicle designed to enhance the productivity of people by
increasing the distance they can travel and the amount that they
can carry. The Segway HT has been highly lauded by ABC's
Good Morning America as a breakthrough in personal
transportation.

The auction, held by Amazon.com, began February 19th and ended Thursday, March 28, over an hour after the scheduled 6:00 PM PST deadline. The auction drew more than 500 bids. Segway HT #1 drew a bid of $160,100 from Wayne Kinsey, the President and CEO of Benchmark. Segway #2 and Segway #3 were won by bidders from Illinois and Virginia, respectively. FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology), the non-profit organization to which the proceeds from the auction will go, was founded by Segway's inventor, Dean Kamen. With its potential for ushering in a new age in transportation, Kinsey likened the Segway HT to Henry Ford's first truly mass-produced automobile. “Can you imagine what it would be like to own the first Model T,” Kinsey challenged.

Kinsey founded Benchmark Research & Technology, Inc. in 1981. The company is engaged principally in the development, manufacture and distribution of specialty chemicals for use in oil and gas well cementing and stimulation operations and in the manufacture of textiles, but also works in several other technology areas.

ftropea
11-08-2002, 12:16 PM
Wouldn't it be cool to get Yeager, Andy Rooney and a few other prominent seniors to appear in a Segway ad?

Rooney was quoted saying..

"The best time I had was riding something called a Segway Human Transporter. They need a new name for it but it was a good way to look at the show.

It has a gyroscopic stabilizing system. You lean forward to go forward, backward to back up. It travels three times as fast as you walk.

It'll cost $3,000 and I want one for Christmas."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/04/05/60minutes/rooney/main505491.shtml

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

n/a
11-08-2002, 01:21 PM
quote:It doesn't look like Segway was a letdown to someone who has spent much of his life breaking the sound barrier, although it was mentioned that it would nice if it had wings.

Where did u get the info about Yeager liking the Segway Casey?

Casey
11-08-2002, 02:08 PM
quote:The smile says it all. Now if it only had wings…