PDA

View Full Version : Segway-HT lost in Chicago Museum!

ftropea
11-03-2002, 02:32 AM
Thanks to weskifm for e-mailing me this pic:

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Main+Album&mid=114&cid=9

Looks like the Chicago museum isn't displaying its Segway-HT very prominently! They should give it to weskifm and let him ride around town on it. It's sure to get more attention that way!

Someone should complain to the museum's management! Brooster, you listening!? ;)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Blinky
11-03-2002, 02:45 AM
Seems almost deliberate of the Museum to place the Segway-HT where it is. No visible plaque or sign or anything. I would definitely be upset about the display if I were involved with Segway.

Thanks Weskifm for the pic. I don't think there is an angle in the world you could have taken this picture to make it look like something the Museum cared for its display.

Brooster
11-03-2002, 04:00 AM
Yeah, I'm listening, Frank ...

This is a sad sight. Thanks to weskifm for the investigative work and the pic. I wonder if 4Seg has seen this?

I'm out in Seattle wrapping up a nice vacation. I'll be back in Chicago tomorrow evening. Best to all.

Broo

Brooster

GlideMaster
11-05-2002, 08:39 PM
Well it's 5 November 2002 and I made that trek to the Museum of Science and Industry here in Chicago AGAIN: and yes it was still their in the same place with even more junk around it blocking it behind the walls.
It must be nice to have so many Segways that one can just give it to a Museum just to be HIDDEN from the public. My many pictures should be worth a thousand words. Give me the dam thing I can ride it and give it as much exposure in a week than it's gotten in some places in three months.

SORRY I GUESS I'M JUST A SEGWAY FANATIC, BUT A RESPONSIBLE ONE.
I REALLY ONLY WANT TO SEE SOCIETY GIVE IT AN HONEST CHANCE. [:p]

quote:Originally posted by Brooster

Yeah, I'm listening, Frank ...

This is a sad sight. Thanks to weskifm for the investigative work and the pic. I wonder if 4Seg has seen this?

I'm out in Seattle wrapping up a nice vacation. I'll be back in Chicago tomorrow evening. Best to all.

Broo

Brooster

Brooster
11-05-2002, 09:11 PM
Hey there Weskifm ... unbelievable, isn't it? Sounds like you and I need to go down there and raise a little hell!

Brooster

GlideMaster
11-06-2002, 12:56 AM
Welcome back Brooster.
I think the King of Balance needs to go there and raise some hell.
Believe me it sits in the corner like a piece of junk. :)

Hey there Weskifm ... unbelievable, isn't it? Sounds like you and I need to go down there and raise a little hell!

Brooster

Blinky
11-07-2002, 09:04 PM
Weskifm writes..
quote:Welcome back Brooster.
Believe me it sits in the corner like a piece of junk.
You guys should get a wax model of Kamen and place it next to that display 'giving it hell!!'

Don't ask me where to find a wax model of Kamen, thats up to you guys. [}:)]

GlideMaster
11-07-2002, 09:15 PM
Hi Blinky,
If we replicate the King of Balance then it would be only fitting and proper that we provide a wax replica of the Segway. BUT OF COURSE GIVE ME THE REAL ONE. :)[8D][:p];)[^]

quote:Originally posted by Blinky

Weskifm writes..
quote:Welcome back Brooster.
Believe me it sits in the corner like a piece of junk.
You guys should get a wax model of Kamen and place it next to that display 'giving it hell!!'

Don't ask me where to find a wax model of Kamen, thats up to you guys. [}:)]

GlideMaster
11-07-2002, 09:40 PM
Well guys I thought this was such a PRO SEGWAY LOVERS SITE?????????
I'm really surprised that there are not more people outraged that this Segway is just hidden away in a corner behind closed walls. What happened to Mr J------ (the Segway police) that was monitoring the site for Segway. I feel better now that I've said my piece.

And in the words of the great Linda Ellerbee.
<center>"And So It Goes"</center>

quote:Originally posted by ftropea

Thanks to weskifm for e-mailing me this pic:

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Main+Album&mid=114&cid=9

Looks like the Chicago museum isn't displaying its Segway-HT very prominently! They should give it to weskifm and let him ride around town on it. It's sure to get more attention that way!

Someone should complain to the museum's management! Brooster, you listening!? ;)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Brooster
11-07-2002, 10:40 PM
Well, I guess it's one of those "ya had to be there" things, Weski. As far as I know, there's only three of us at this site who've seen that machine (you, 4Seg, and me) and all of us are lucky enough to have ridden one. Maybe it takes seeing and riding to fully appreciate what a sad thing it is to have it hidden away.

Brooster

Brooster
11-07-2002, 10:53 PM
Perhaps what's more sad is that more people haven't had a chance to ride ... and have no idea when they ever will.

What happened to Segway's plans for other public showings and demos? They still have the "Calendar and Events" page on their Web site, but there's not been an announced "event" since the Chicago public demo on June 11th of this year. I don't understand why they wouldn't be taking advantage of the public's curiosity, and getting out there to create more interest in their product. I thought for sure we'd see another event announced by now.

Brooster

JohnG
11-07-2002, 11:03 PM
It's a nonworking model. We've given or lent a number of these to museums for just this purpose. My understanding was this was on display for a few weeks in October and that was it.

I'm not sure why you're so upset, but I hope you feel better soon!

GlideMaster
11-07-2002, 11:09 PM
Hey Brooster,
I guess you're right. They do need to have some more showings for the public. I would love to demonstrate it to whomever. But you know how Segway is. They think that very few people know how to ride as well as their people. Boy would they be surprised.
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
Hope all is going well at the new place.

Perhaps what's more sad is that more people haven't had a chance to ride ... and have no idea when they ever will.

What happened to Segway's plans for other public showings and demos? They still have the "Calendar and Events" page on their Web site, but there's not been an announced "event" since the Chicago public demo on June 11th of this year. I don't understand why they wouldn't be taking advantage of the public's curiosity, and getting out there to create more interest in their product. I thought for sure we'd see another event announced by now.

Brooster

Brooster
11-07-2002, 11:12 PM
Thanks JG, I appreciate that clarification. It was brought to Chicago for the June 11th show and left for the summer. It was to go "off display" on October 31st. Weskifm went there on the 29th and found it hidden behind a temporary wall ... we just have been wondering why, as long as it's still there, it isn't out where people can see it. Knowing that it's only a non-working model makes it a bit easier to take.

Any other info you can share with us would be warmly welcomed. Thanks again.

Regards,
Broo
Chicago

Brooster

JohnM
11-07-2002, 11:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by weskifm

Well it's 5 November 2002 and I made that trek to the Museum of Science and Industry here in Chicago AGAIN: and yes it was still their in the same place with even more junk around it blocking it behind the walls.

http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/weskifm/Segway-Lost-Chicago-Museum.JPG

Junk!?!? That's Craig Breedlove's 'Spirit of America', first vehicle to break the 500mph mark at Bonneville. 526.277mph - October 15, 1964. The display Segway may be hidden away, but its' in pretty good company.
http://www.spiritofamerica.com/car/lsr_history.html

Brooster
11-08-2002, 12:07 AM
I don't think that's the junk Weskifm was referring to, John M. But you're right ... that is indeed the Spirit of America.

Brooster

ftropea
11-08-2002, 12:49 PM
Glad to get the clarification... Now that you think about it, it makes a lot of sense...

I'm feeling better already!

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

GlideMaster
11-09-2002, 12:08 AM
I've always been aware that the model was nonworking. I'm not really upset believe me. It's just the principal of it all. Guess I just expected more from the Museum of Science and Industry and also more interest and concern from Segway on how it's product is displayed or hidden; dud or not. Are they trying to prevent the recognition of the Segway? I guess you say if Segway dosen't care why should I. I feel the Segway is a great piece of engineering and has a great future in society. The MSI and Segway should have another exhibition for the public.
Even though I get to ride frequently (54 hrs so far ),a lot of the public would love to give it a try. [^]

quote:Originally posted by jgrohol

It's a nonworking model. We've given or lent a number of these to museums for just this purpose. My understanding was this was on display for a few weeks in October and that was it.

I'm not sure why you're so upset, but I hope you feel better soon!