PDA

View Full Version : Target market?

yop
10-31-2002, 04:50 PM
Who do you think Segway should target its sales to?

Segway is trying to develop a reputation for being safe and useful. At the same time, they need to overcome the "dork factor".

The ideal clients are the businesses that they have been targeting: UPS, FedEx, police, park rangers, etc. Unfortunately, these customers don't seem to be completely thrilled with the Segway. For these applications, the Segway needs to be able to run continuously for several hours. Current battery technology doesn't seem to be able to meet this need.

The absolute worst possible customer demographic would be young men, ages 18-24. They're too liable to try to do something crazy. Sell too many to them, and Segways will end up banned from sidewalks. Unfortunately, this is exactly the demographic that got caught up in the pre-reveal hype.

The elderly might make for a good market. They would get a lot of utility from a Segway, they would use it responsibly, and they vote. However, if Segway markets too exclusively to the elderly, they run the risk of marginalizing their product. Segway will become seen as even more dorky.

I think the best market for Segway in the beginning will be women. Women are less likely to use their Segways in an extreme manner, so they should cause fewer incidents that might lead to anti-Segway legislation. Women will get a lot of utility from a Segway: a Segway is a much, much better way to get around that walking in high heels. Finally, the "dork factor" works differently for women than it does for men. Instead of disdaining the Segway as dorky, women will probably like the Segway because it is attention-getting and cute, like the VW Beetle.

After Segway successfully gets the women hooked, then they can start marketing to men.

Future scenario: A guy has crush on a girl. On foot, she looks up to him, because he's 4 inches taller than she is. When she's on her Segway, though, it's 4 inches the other way. And she's faster, too. It makes him uncomfortable, so he buys one for himself.

GlideMaster
10-31-2002, 10:46 PM
Hi Yop,
Just a point of information on women in high heels. When I took my Segway training we had a women who took the training in heel out or floppy type high heels and she had no problem what so ever doing the training on the Segway. But I know there would be situations that would be dangerous ridding in heels on heels.

quote:Originally posted by yop

Who do you think Segway should target its sales to?

Segway is trying to develop a reputation for being safe and useful. At the same time, they need to overcome the "dork factor".

The ideal clients are the businesses that they have been targeting: UPS, FedEx, police, park rangers, etc. Unfortunately, these customers don't seem to be completely thrilled with the Segway. For these applications, the Segway needs to be able to run continuously for several hours. Current battery technology doesn't seem to be able to meet this need.

The absolute worst possible customer demographic would be young men, ages 18-24. They're too liable to try to do something crazy. Sell too many to them, and Segways will end up banned from sidewalks. Unfortunately, this is exactly the demographic that got caught up in the pre-reveal hype.

The elderly might make for a good market. They would get a lot of utility from a Segway, they would use it responsibly, and they vote. However, if Segway markets too exclusively to the elderly, they run the risk of marginalizing their product. Segway will become seen as even more dorky.

I think the best market for Segway in the beginning will be women. Women are less likely to use their Segways in an extreme manner, so they should cause fewer incidents that might lead to anti-Segway legislation. Women will get a lot of utility from a Segway: a Segway is a much, much better way to get around that walking in high heels. Finally, the "dork factor" works differently for women than it does for men. Instead of disdaining the Segway as dorky, women will probably like the Segway because it is attention-getting and cute, like the VW Beetle.

After Segway successfully gets the women hooked, then they can start marketing to men.

Future scenario: A guy has crush on a girl. On foot, she looks up to him, because he's 4 inches taller than she is. When she's on her Segway, though, it's 4 inches the other way. And she's faster, too. It makes him uncomfortable, so he buys one for himself.

n/a
11-01-2002, 02:04 PM
quote:The ideal clients are the businesses that they have been targeting: UPS, FedEx, police, park rangers, etc. Unfortunately, these customers don't seem to be completely thrilled with the Segway.

I got the impression that the grups u mention seemed to be satisfied for the most part. Pls. say more about how u got your impressions?

Targeting women is an original idea as well as your reasons for targeting them. But having to wear helmets would not be favourable for women. They care about their appearance too much. Helmets could mess up their hair.

yop
11-02-2002, 12:00 PM
Commercial customers:
For tasks like mail delivery, Amazon warehouse "picking", or street patrols by police, the Segway is not an ideal solution, not yet. The problem is the Segway's limited range. For these tasks, the Segway will be asked to run continuously for several hours. Unfortunately, battery technology is not up to the task yet. When battery technology is improved (or fuel cells, or whatever), I expect to see these organizations buy thousands and thousands of Segways. But until that technology matures, the Segway just doesn't fit their needs well enough. The stuff that Kamen and Co. developed seems to work exceptionally well. Once the battery people catch up (or once the Stirling comes out), then I expect we'll see some serious comercial sales.

Helmets:
I'm not concerned about this at all. If people want to ride their Segway without a helmet, they will, law or no law. I expect Segway helmet laws to be like anti-jaywalking laws: in place but not enforced. Same deal with laws that ban Segways from sidewalks. In my opinion, the legislative battle is more of a battle over public opinion. If it were banned from sidewalks all over the country, they would have a very difficult time selling. But as long as sidewalk riding is allowed in some places, I expect people will buy and ride them on the sidewalk, no matter what the local law actually says. The fact is, the Segway can be ridden safely on the sidewalk by basically anyone. I think the police will realize this and enforce (or not enforce) the law accordingly.

Blinky
11-03-2002, 03:00 AM
Yop writes..
quote:The ideal clients are the businesses that they have been targeting: UPS, FedEx, police, park rangers, etc. Unfortunately, these customers don't seem to be completely thrilled with the Segway. For these applications, the Segway needs to be able to run continuously for several hours. Current battery technology doesn't seem to be able to meet this need.
I don't agree or disagree with you in regard to these businesses not being completely thrilled with the Segway-HT. As far as I know I don't think that there has been any public out-cry from these companies. When the testing period is done by these companies I am sure we would then know if they are happy with them or not.

Your observation of how more battery life would be needed for the Segway to be effective is very interesting. Why not take into consideration the fact that the Segway-HT might make these companies more productive. Why is more battery power needed if a company could get 2 hours of work done in the same time as it does for someone without riding a Segway?
Of course this is something that we are still waiting for, some facts or stats about this matter. But, I definitely agree with you about the Segway-HT needing more battery power for commercial and residential use.

How it has been done with cell phones, I think longer lasting batteries will be made for the Segway-HT. Maybe by the time they release the Segway to the public there will a longer lasting one.

yop
11-03-2002, 08:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by Blinky
But, I definitely agree with you about the Segway-HT needing more battery power for commercial and residential use.

Actually, I think the current incarnation of the Segway is already extremely well-suited to the ordinary consumer. Current battery life is good enough for everyday trips. A trip that is three miles in each direction would leave you with plenty of battery life to spare.

Also, I expect Segway charging services to spring up pretty quickly. In exchange for ten cents of electricity, you could charge three or four dollars an hour. Startup costs are pretty minimal: a little floor space and some electrical outlets. In fact, I expect to see some "part-time" Segway charging/storage places popping up almost immediately. Say there's a really popular lunch restaurant next door to your hardware store. The Segways in the restaurant are a nuisance. Why not stop selling hardware for a couple of hours and charge people a couple of bucks to watch over and charge up their Segways while they eat? Zero startup cost, immediate profit.

Back to women on Segways: women definitely won't want to wear helmets. But maybe they'll want to wear some other head covering. Riding along at 12mph, add in a 15mph wind gust, and you have a recipe for a bad hair day. Since we can't invest in Segway LLC itself, maybe we should look into investment opportunities in a women's fashion hat maker....

Weskifm, do you think there is any way to modify the Segway to accomodate riding in high heels? What kind of maneuvers would be dangerous? How about upgrading the Segway with a shock absorber system? And a tilt system to deal with lateral g-forces in tight turns (like some high-speed trains)?

ftropea
11-04-2002, 03:53 PM
Some professional women I know, nowadays wear sneakers to and from work.. changing into the high-heels at the job. Maybe the Segway-HT will continue to promote that trend... So the solution is just wear the appropriate footwear for the right situation. And I don't have to tell you... women know no limit to owning shoes (ask my wife)... the right one for the right occasion! :)

That target market question is interesting...

I can't wait to see the first Segway ads targeted for consumers. Which age group will they target initially? Will they promote inner city travel? Getting to and from work quicker... going to the local market.. visiting friends... What do you think?

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

GlideMaster
11-04-2002, 06:27 PM
Frank I'd hate to be the Director of Marketing trying to make the decision for Segway on who would be my taget market. But then again even though I get to ride every week I STILL WANT MY OWN. Everything is mute unless Segway would let me sell, distribute, instruct or demonstrate for them in the Midwest or West. :):D:D[8D]

quote:Originally posted by ftropea

Some professional women I know, nowadays wear sneakers to and from work.. changing into the high-heels at the job. Maybe the Segway-HT will continue to promote that trend... So the solution is just wear the appropriate footwear for the right situation. And I don't have to tell you... women know no limit to owning shoes (ask my wife)... the right one for the right occasion! :)

That target market question is interesting...

I can't wait to see the first Segway ads targeted for consumers. Which age group will they target initially? Will they promote inner city travel? Getting to and from work quicker... going to the local market.. visiting friends... What do you think?

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Blinky
11-05-2002, 01:31 PM
Weskifm writes..
quote:Frank I'd hate to be the Director of Marketing trying to make the decision for Segway on who would be my taget market. But then again even though I get to ride every week I STILL WANT MY OWN. Everything is mute unless Segway would let me sell, distribute, instruct or demonstrate for them in the Midwest or West.
Hey! are you on strike :)

ftropea
11-05-2002, 03:54 PM
Marketing...

Well, I'm curious to see which whey take it. Am I in the demographic? Are you?

I'm going to do a flash commercial using an idea I posted in another thread... I'll use still images in place of the what would be video. I'll post it tonight or tomorrow...

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea