PDA

View Full Version : HELP is it clockwise or counter clockwise?

Silver Fox
08-22-2009, 05:46 PM
I have been trying to remove the tires on my X2 and all 4 of the Allan bolts are very tight. If I apply any more force I want to make sure I'm going in the right direction. Thanks in advance for your reply. :confused:

wwhopper
08-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Righty tighty

Lefty lucy

Bob.Kerns
08-22-2009, 06:22 PM
It's a reasonable question, though -- I HAVE encountered reverse threads on some devices, for symmetry and tightening, rather than loosening, under load.

It's not common, and I don't know of ANY current use, as there are other ways to solve the problem, and the confusion it causes can be major!

But having had encounters with reverse threads, it is always something I ask myself when I encounter a fastener that won't turn...maybe the other way?

Silver Fox
08-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks, Will and Bob for your fast repies.

Still no luck, I've applied so much force counter clockwise that I though the bolts would snap. I'm thinking of freezing one of them with a can of dust off and trying again.

scoob5o
08-22-2009, 07:59 PM
is there air still in your tires i believe that the allen bolts hold the two halfs of the split rim together and the 12mm hexhead bolts are for removing the wheels from the trans.. i have a set of i 2 wheels and tires that i swap out for riding in the mall and i just remove the 12mm bolts the guy at my dealership said for changing the tire from the wheels that it is a split rim design like an old truck tire deflate the tire undo the allen bolts and split the two halfs apart pop them into the new tire and rebolt and inflate

KSagal
08-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks, Will and Bob for your fast repies.

Still no luck, I've applied so much force counter clockwise that I though the bolts would snap. I'm thinking of freezing one of them with a can of dust off and trying again.

I am not familiar with the bolts you are speaking of, as I did not know that allen bolts hold on the wheels, but I would use a penetrating oil, like WD40 or Liquid Wrench before the propellant in a can of compressed air.

Silver Fox
08-22-2009, 11:22 PM
1328 These are the bolts that won't budge

scoob5o
08-22-2009, 11:41 PM
are you using a regular "L" key allen wrench if so its not long enough to get the torque to break them free. The best thing would be a socket on a long handle ratchet and of course make sure all the air is deflated by removing the shrader core from the valve stem.

jgbackes
08-23-2009, 12:32 AM
these are not split rims you don't need to worry about that. You will have MUCH better luck if you put the wheel back on the segway and hold the wheel with your legs. They may have been installed with RED loctite which requires heat to loosen.

jeff

DarthSegVator
08-23-2009, 06:52 AM
The best thing would be a socket on a long handle ratchet and of course make sure all the air is deflated by removing the shrader core from the valve stem.

Remove the air from the tire?

Huh?

Arturas
08-23-2009, 07:41 AM
What the air in a tire has to do with the bolts??:))))))))))

Why do you want to unscrew these bolts? Maybe you don't have the middle parts on your other wheels? Well i did it couple of times. I use a wrench that has a T form. Sure you will have to use some force, but believe me these bolts give up when you use your power:)

Joushou
08-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Use the force...

Don't use a T-wrench, use a wrench with a long shaft, and some oil... Liquid wrench would ease things, if you have any...

Arturas
08-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Use the force...

Don't use a T-wrench, use a wrench with a long shaft, and some oil... Liquid wrench would ease things, if you have any...

Sure long shaft works great, i use it for gearbox screws. But what i meant is that you can use many tools, you just need to know how to use them and have enough power to work with them.

If you won't be able yo unscrew bolts with T wrench then look for the shaft.

scoob5o
08-23-2009, 01:49 PM
I was lead to believe that the wheel design was a split rim design so i f there was air in the tire pushing against the two halfs of the wheel with the side wall of the tires it would create extra force on the bolts.. I have mounted alot of old truck tires that usto have this type of design and you couldnt work with it unless the air was drained /removed to relieve the stress on the hardware to disassemble. I havent dismounted my x2 tires yet so im not speaking from experience on the segway tires, I was lead to believe this from the service guy at the local segway dealer

Joushou
08-23-2009, 02:02 PM
No, it's not a split-rim, it's just a hub-adapter, that is very well tightened...

Silver Fox
08-23-2009, 04:33 PM
1. First of all I want to thank everyone for there suggestions.

I tried Freezing; I tried the Force, I tried Liquid Wrench, I tried letting the air out, WHY? I don’t know at this point I would have tried dropping it off a cliff, and then I tried HEAT thanks to Jeff.

But not just any heat (your wife’s hair blower just won’t do) you need PROPANE the MANLY HEAT, you need to get the RED Loctite above 300* and keep it there wile at the same time applying force with a cheater bar attached to your Allen wrench and then they come off.

I hope this info and the photos can help someone else, especially if your thinking of buying tires without the hub already attached:)

Joushou
08-23-2009, 04:54 PM
The reason he suggested letting the air out, is that he thought that the bolts hold together a so called "split-rim"... Meaning, the rim is in two parts, and when the tire inflates, it puts so much pressure on the two halfes, that they're almost impossible to separate... He didn't know it was just a hub (And for some reason, his dealer had also said it was a split rim... *Whips that guys dealer*).

jgbackes
08-23-2009, 05:41 PM
When you put it back together, use blue loctite.

jeff

Joushou
08-23-2009, 05:50 PM
No! Use the red again! It's so much more fun to take apart! ;)

... Follow Jeff's advice, and use the blue one...

KSagal
08-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Did anyone mention there is a little set screw in the side? If you remove it, the whole thing comes out easily...

Just kidding. But I have done the hard disassemble in the past, only to find the easy way later on...

Good for you in persevering... Congrats on getting the job done.

jgbackes
08-24-2009, 01:33 AM
Karl,

You stopped my heart... I thought wow, how could I have missed a setscrew! You are sooooo mean ;)

Did anyone mention there is a little set screw in the side? If you remove it, the whole thing comes out easily...

<snip>