PDA

View Full Version : The Hidden Segeay (What a waste)

GlideMaster
10-29-2002, 11:26 PM
Hi Guys
I'm at it again. Went to the Museum of Science and Industry today: I read that 31 Oct. was suppose to be the last day of the viewing of the Segway. Well much to my dismay the Segway in the glass case was no where to be seen: at least not by the general public. A little investigating revealed that the Segway was sitting in a corner behind the plywood walls where the giant train set is being restored and where the Christmas trees are being decorated. It was a walled off area for workmen only. I was extremely irritated because I understand it had been sitting HIDDEN for a while. Don't worry, soon as I get my Desktop back online I'll post photos. Even though I have about 54 hours riding I am still itiching to buy an I series and they have one being HIDDEN in a glass case behing plywood walls. I'm quite sure that I could give Segway plenty of free exposure around the University of Chicago (which I don't live far from) plus they could make money because I'm will to pay for mine. I don't think the King of Balance would be very please to know that the Segway is just sitting there and not being able to be viewed by the public. The Museum should have had one to ride around during all of these wasted months: I mean the place is huge and requires a looooooooooot of walking. It's almost time for me to take out my monoski and go skiing. Now if I could just take a Segway with me and no not to ride on the mountain. :(

Blinky
10-30-2002, 02:13 AM
It would be great to find out what exactly is the exact display. Keep us updated if you can about what the word is going around there.

When you do get your own Segway, a lot of people do question how safe and how this thing will adapt to society. It would be great to get some feedback on it too.

Enjoy skiing, Don't break a leg!

GlideMaster
10-30-2002, 02:51 AM
Slow down Blinky, it's not ski season yet and no I've never broken a bone in twenty eight years.

I feel I've ridden the Segway enough hours to be able to say that I feel the Segway is very safe. It's like a car or a bike; it's only as safe as it's driver or rider. I also feel that the Segway should not have any problem being accepted by society. But you know there is always that 20% that don't like anything no matter what it is.

I'm not sure what you mean "what exactly is the exact display."????
The Segway is in an acrylic casing or display, on a platform not much bigger than the foot print of the Segway. "They" say it's not functional. The point I was trying to make in my original posting is that the darn thing is HIDDEN behind plywood walls and is not accessable to the public as intended. If I hadn't asked I would not have known the Segway was even in the museum. For some reason I thought the purpose of a museum was to exhibit objects or items. :(

quote:Originally posted by Blinky

It would be great to find out what exactly is the exact display. Keep us updated if you can about what the word is going around there.

When you do get your own Segway, a lot of people do question how safe and how this thing will adapt to society. It would be great to get some feedback on it too.

Enjoy skiing, Don't break a leg!