PDA

View Full Version : Big setback for Segway?

n/a
10-29-2002, 07:23 PM
quote:Segway makes no headway in UK

THE Segway Human Transporter may have a harder time taking off than millionaire-inventor Dean Kamen envisioned. While lobbying in many US states is under way for the self-propelling, self-balancing scooter to be used on sidewalks, UK legislators have apparently classified it as a vehicle. Hence, it will not be permitted on sidewalks (or pavements, as they are called in UK) and will probably need a licence to be used. The Segway, unveiled last December, was supposed to have revolutionised personal transport. The non-polluting device carries a single rider at up to 24 kmh. How will it be treated in Singapore? Going by how closely vehicular regulations here follow those of the UK, the gyroscopic wonder is unlikely to be rolling down Orchard Boulevard any time soon.

http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/motor/story/0,2276,62137,00.html

Blinky
10-30-2002, 02:28 AM
As a Segway fan, I would hope that the same trend in the UK does not carry over here in the United States. I was hoping there was more to the article, it is very interesting.

I wonder what the legislators saw in Segway-HT that have them classify it as a vehicle. Is this their final decision/determination.

Although, we all know here in the United States, it is legal in many of the states. Not that America is known for copying the decisions on other countries law, it would be interesting if the UK plays a part in American legislation. If so, this would definitely hinder any kind of booming launch by Segway.

Segway will have a lot of work ahead of them to make sure this doesn't happen in other countries, as well as the remainding states here.

I wonder why when negative news like this comes out Segway does address or comment about it.

More information about the UK's move would be great too.

JohnM
10-30-2002, 12:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by Blinky

I wonder what the legislators saw in Segway-HT that have them classify it as a vehicle.

Perhaps, after consulting the Oxford English Dictionary, it was obvious.
quote:
vehicle - A means of conveyance provided with wheels or runners and used for the carriage of persons or goods.

ftropea
10-30-2002, 12:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by JohnM

quote:Originally posted by Blinky

I wonder what the legislators saw in Segway-HT that have them classify it as a vehicle.

Perhaps, after consulting the Oxford English Dictionary, it was obvious.
quote:
vehicle - A means of conveyance provided with wheels or runners and used for the carriage of persons or goods.

Is that the whole definition? So would a shopping cart classify as a vehicle as well? I mean, it does have wheels and it is used to carry goods. Wow... maybe we should ban old ladies and their shopping carts to the streets :D

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

JohnM
10-30-2002, 01:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by ftropea
Is that the whole definition? So would a shopping cart classify as a vehicle as well? I mean, it does have wheels and it is used to carry goods. Wow... maybe we should ban old ladies and their shopping carts to the streets :D

Thanks for equating Segways with shopping carts. Do you believe that shopping carts will change the world, too?

ftropea
10-30-2002, 01:17 PM
I didn't equate the two.

I was being sarcastic by the way. For now on, I'll use <sarcasm on> and <sarcasm off> tags for the sarcasm challenged :D

Do you think push-type shopping carts should classify as "vehicles" and be banned to the streets? By that definition, they certainly would classify as such. However, that's probably a stretch... but that's what happens when we live and die by rigid/broad definitions - people come up with unreasonable conclusions.

By the way, getting back on topic.. anyone know what the average sidewalk width is in the UK? Maybe they're extremely narrow and hence UK'rs had a hard time imagining anything but people using them.

(btw, in their own little way, carts did change the world.)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

n/a
10-30-2002, 01:18 PM
quote:Is that the whole definition? So would a shopping cart classify as a vehicle as well? I mean, it does have wheels and it is used to carry goods. Wow... maybe we should ban old ladies and their shopping carts to the streets :D

I thought the issue of motorized or not was also part the definition of what is and is not allowed on sidewalks. I dont know about the laws in england though as to what is allowed on sidewalks.

Maybe it Segway will try to get legislation passed to allow Segways on sidewalks for those needing assistive mobility devices, ie., those with walking impairment of some sort in places where Segways are banned for pedestrians in general. And maybe they can get legislation passed for use of Segways for other groups like police, mail carriers, etc.

quote:I wonder why when negative news like this comes out Segway does address or comment about it.

Blinky, that news that I posted was very fresh. Apparently little has been written about it at that point. Segway may issue a statement in the near future. It is easy to understand Segway's reluctance to comment on setbacks. They, like any other company need to project the impression they are succeeding.

n/a
10-30-2002, 01:23 PM
quote:Thanks for equating Segways with shopping carts. Do you believe that shopping carts will change the world, too?

I didnt interpret that statement as u did JohnM. Not even anti-Segway fanatics equate Segways with shopping carts.

JohnM
10-30-2002, 01:30 PM
Frank,
A hint: If you want to remain on topic, talk about Segways, not shopping carts. ;)

ftropea
10-30-2002, 01:48 PM
Follow your own advice, JohnM. Stick to the topic.. we're talking about the Segway HTs - not vehicles :D

B-T-W: Talking about sidewalks, this guy did an analysis of some sidewalks/streets in the US compared to some in England:

"The purpose of this report is to give a concise comparison of typical residential streets in the midwestern United States and in northern England. The American example used in the study is Columbus, Ohio, and the English example is Garstang, Lancashire. The study area includes both the houses that line the street and the entire area that they enclose."

Page 1: http://www.hcs.ohio-state.edu/ukstudy2000/project/sprojects/nritchie/nrirep.htm
Page 2: http://www.hcs.ohio-state.edu/ukstudy2000/project/sprojects/nritchie/nrirep2.htm

Here is something interesting from page 2 of the report:

[u]Distance between the house and the street</u>

United states - There is 30ft to 40ft (9.1m to 12.2m) between the house and the street.

England - There is 10ft to 20ft (3m to 6.1m) between the house and the street.

I didn't know that. So it seems there could be anywhere between 50% - 66% less space between English homes and the street than in the US.

Then, it goes on to describe their sidewalks:

[u]Public area (sidewalks):</u>

(Size and organization of the area adjacent to the street within the front property that can be freely accessed by the general public.)

United states - A 9ft (2.7m) wide area made up of a 4ft (1.2m) wide sidewalk that is offset from the street by a 5ft (1.5m) wide grass buffer. Within the grass buffer stands a mailbox and occasionally some street trees.

England - A 3ft to 5ft (0.9m to 1.5m) wide sidewalk that runs directly beside the street.

So in the US, we have wider walking areas - using some of it to create a grassy buffer between the sidewalk and the street (aka - Segway lane? hehe) - while England's sidewalks are narrower and lead right to the curb. Maybe that's a factor for the UK in deciding whether or not to allow Segways on sidewalks.

Also, the report shows their streets are narrower too...

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

JohnM
10-30-2002, 11:30 PM
Follow your own advice, JohnM. Stick to the topic.. we're talking about the Segway HTs - not vehicles :D

Here's the original quote you supplied at the start of this exchange:
quote:
While lobbying in many US states is under way for the self-propelling, self-balancing scooter to be used on sidewalks, UK legislators have apparently classified it as a vehicle.

Looks like you took us off topic at the get go. Shame on you, Frank.

ps - Headed south for a few days. I'll keep my eye out for Segways when I change planes in Atlanta.

ftropea
10-31-2002, 12:38 AM
JohnM - Sounds like you really need that vacation! Here is hoping you come back refreshed, and hopefully w/o that chip the size of NH on your shoulder ;) hehe j/k You're really a toughy JohnM - I'm not even in your league!

Back to my point about the sidewalk width...

Looks like the sidewalks over on the other side of the world differ (being much narrower) from our own here in the US. I wonder if that accounts for "No headway in the UK" Segway situation Lawrence points to at the start of this thread.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

zeppo123
10-31-2002, 12:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by JohnM

Thanks for equating Segways with shopping carts. Do you believe that shopping carts will change the world, too?

Shopping carts have changed the world. They are everywhere. When we see negative things pop up for Segway, it just makes me wonder why they just don't release the consumer version now.