PDA

View Full Version : Battery issues on E, I, P

Phil
07-04-2009, 10:25 PM
I dug out the Segways today to try to get them going again and think that I have some battery issues.
I remember reading a year or so ago that there might be a place to have the batteries repaired since a replacement might be too expensive considering the amount of time that I am on them.
I have a set of batteries for my E, I and P.
Any info as who to contact would be great as the Search feature here seems to be non working as when I click the Search link the box opens underneath and I am not able to type in my keywords to search.
Thanks,
Phil

wwhopper
07-04-2009, 10:29 PM
On the east coast - Jason is the Battery Man!

Contact Jason at MTO Battery

Jason (at) MTObattery (dot) Com

MTOBATTERY
07-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the recommendation!

bentbiker
07-04-2009, 11:00 PM
I dug out the Segways today to try to get them going again and think that I have some battery issues.
I remember reading a year or so ago that there might be a place to have the batteries repaired since a replacement might be too expensive considering the amount of time that I am on them.
I have a set of batteries for my E, I and P.
Any info as who to contact would be great as the Search feature here seems to be non working as when I click the Search link the box opens underneath and I am not able to type in my keywords to search.
Thanks,
Phil
Are the batteries on the E and I NiMH or were they upgraded to Li-Ion? What kind of problems are you having? Rebuilding the batteries won't be cheap, but you may not need it depending on your problems.

Phil
07-05-2009, 10:07 AM
They are all NiMH as I never had ANY upgrades and am on the original versions I believe.
We actually got the P going yesterday and rode it around for 30 minutes or so and I tried to let it run down last night so that I could completely recharge it from scratch but when I left it on the walk behind mode, it would just shut down. I did plug the P back in last night and this morning we are not able to get it to run.
The P has a steady green light on the charging base and when you try to start it it goes into power mode and then into a red screen with the top and bottom segments missing and with a wrench icon.
The I does the same as the P but all segments are showing when it goes red.
I think that it might be good to find someone within driving distance to "borrow" their batteries so that I could verify that it is my batteries.
Anyone know how I could find out if this is possible?
I know that a Pam in Destin area allowed me to try her P batteries a few years ago so I know that mine are bad, not sure why they started working for a little while yesterday.
Thanks and I saw that I should have probably placed the original post in another area AFTER the fact.

bentbiker
07-05-2009, 11:18 AM
I know that a Pam in Destin area allowed me to try her P batteries a few years ago so I know that mine are bad, not sure why they started working for a little while yesterday.Pam moved as far away from FL as possible within the continental US. However, we surely have members in AL or LA. I agree that your best approach is to continue to try to cycle the batteries a few times if you can, to condition them.

Joushou
07-05-2009, 12:03 PM
The p has a faulty rear battery-pack, and the i has a platform error... try the following:

Remove and reseat batteries, and reboot
If same error occurs, try to switch the packs around, and see if the error changes (The p should show a faulty front pack now, which would show that that pack is dead)
Make sure the two cable-connectors are properly connected

If the p keep showing dead battery, send them to Jason, and get them rebuild. (Send them both, even though it's only one down).
Not sure what could be wrong with the i...

Phil
07-05-2009, 02:55 PM
What is weird is that the P when tried shows errors several times and now it is working.
After several minutes though it goes into shutdown mode.
When I try to swap the batteries on the P what indicator will show that the faulty pack is no in the front?
Also when I try to start the I, the initial red screen shows jsut the top and bottom segments filled in, and then it switches to all the segments and the wrench.
If there is anyone nearby that has good MiMH batteries that would fit a I and or a E and would let me try them out to rule out that the platform is not bad, before I have the batteries rebuilt, it would be great.

Joushou
07-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Top and bottom only while red means that it's plugged in...

It could be that the rear-battery isn't taking charge, but it had just enough to pass the bootup test... Now you used it up, and since it's not willing to charge, it can't get past the point that it will pass the tests.
And, wrench with lower half of the segments on means rear pack isn't working properly, upper half is front, so you should see the 3 segments on at the top when you swap the batteries.

The i seems very confused... First, it recognizes it as plugged in, and then platform error...
Make sure that the connections between the control-shaft and powerbase are all intact...

For a full list of the error-codes, look here: http://social.segway.com/wiki/Error_Codes

Phil
07-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the info again,