PDA

View Full Version : Didn't the Gen 1 Segways balance without a kickstand?

AggiePhil
06-07-2009, 08:56 PM
I can't seem to find much information on it at the moment, but I could have sworn that I read about how the Gen 1 Segways had an "invisible kickstand" mode that would balance the machine upright in the same place that you parked it. Is this the case? What was this called? And why are the Gen 2 machines unable to do it? Thanks!

rook2218joe
06-07-2009, 09:19 PM
There was a Gen I machine that could self balance called the e-167. Every once in awhile one will show up on the various Segway user group sites, on Craigs List, or on ebay. They are highly sought after by Segway users. I "missed" two for sale in Tampa @ $1500 each about two weeks ago...I just checked Craig's List a day or two too late.

Given the price I would have bought both of them, but the other side of Craig's List is that frequently people make listing without a telephone number. Living in St. Pete it would have been a simple drive across the bridge. I also think that the seller "under priced" what he (she) had to sell.

Keep looking you may find one (or two) at some point. I don't know if the incidence of "brake downs" is increased by this added electro-mechanical feature.

bentbiker
06-07-2009, 09:53 PM
I can't seem to find much information on it at the moment, but I could have sworn that I read about how the Gen 1 Segways had an "invisible kickstand" mode that would balance the machine upright in the same place that you parked it. Is this the case? What was this called? And why are the Gen 2 machines unable to do it? Thanks!
A search for "e-stand" will give you lots of reading material, but you can get most of the answers from http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=20236&highlight=e-stand .