PDA

View Full Version : Info keys

mabyj27
06-06-2009, 06:34 PM
A friend of mine bought a stoageunit and inside with alot of other things was a segway with no brain or info key as I'm told ,and I 've found one on ebay but will it work on this segway ?do these info keys need to be par'd up or cinfigured to the segway????????????

budsiskos
06-06-2009, 08:27 PM
first off, no the key will not work because you'll have to take it to a dealer for programming.

the best thing to do would be to contact segway and see what they have to say on the matter or try getting in touch with a local dealer. but we seem to recently have had a similar incident and you may want to look into it.

http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=22010&highlight=garbage+found+segway

also, just because you bought the storage unit and are legally entitled to the contents, segway may see this in a different light as they can be very protective of their customers and units. so they'll probably still contact the previous owner and the seller of the storage unit.

KSagal
06-06-2009, 09:17 PM
A friend of mine bought a stoageunit and inside with alot of other things was a segway with no brain or info key as I'm told ,and I 've found one on ebay but will it work on this segway ?do these info keys need to be par'd up or cinfigured to the segway????????????

The first generation of segways had a display on the handlebar, and had keys that would start them, and those keys can be made at many segways dealers with the serial number of the segway, and proof of ownership. This proof of rightfull ownership is what the previous poster referred to...

If you have the serial number, you can contact Segway Corporate, and tell them your story, and they will assist you in getting a release from the previous owner, if one is needed...

The second generation of segways had no display on the handlebar, and instead have a removable infokey, which has a display, and is kind of like the key fob that unlocks or remote starts your car. This device can only be programmed at Segway Corporate.

So, you can see that any way you cut it, you will have to get the factory involved in your trying to get a key for your segway...

Good luck.

wwhopper
06-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Find a standard computer plug and plug the Segway in.

You may find that the charging lights come up red. In that case you will need a set of batteries in addition to the key.

So your Segway could cost you $1800 or more to get it operational.

gbrandwood
06-08-2009, 04:23 AM
When am I going to find a Segway out on the street or in a lock up? :(

There's one in my shed but that's mine!

A couple of x2s would be nice - but I'd settle for any - even an RMP.

I just checked my street corner again but there's none there...

Finally, I don't know if dealers or INC are actually doing the programming of "other" InfoKeys. Do you not just have to buy one from them programmed for you? This is different to how it works with the old iButton keys - but the keys were a stock item that could be purchased from many different places.

wwhopper
06-08-2009, 08:16 AM

Keep on the lookout, you never know when one will show up!

Finally, I don't know if dealers or INC are actually doing the programming of "other" InfoKeys. Do you not just have to buy one from them programmed for you? This is different to how it works with the old iButton keys - but the keys were a stock item that could be purchased from many different places.

The infokey works with the radio board and the specific machine. At the moment they are programmed at Inc. A dealer calls up to Inc. and orders one with the serial number of the Segway - or key code number of the Segway that needs one. At the moment a programed infokey costs $214.19 US

The gen one ibuttons could be programed from at the dealer level, or many here on chat got the program early on and could do it as well. All you had to do was get ibuttons, colored holders, and a piece of hardware that plugged into the computer and the ibutton was connected to for programming.

gbrandwood
06-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Keep on the lookout, you never know when one will show up!Hopefully they are "like" buses. None for ages and then three come along at once! :thumbsup:

florin
06-08-2009, 11:37 AM

Perhaps you can organize a "SegwayFesT" kind of event somewhere in the UK, than I'm sure you would see a few more than you do know.

KSagal
06-08-2009, 03:21 PM
I liken this to those who say they only buy lottery tickets when the prize is over $50 or $100 million...

I always respond that I would be happy if someone just walked up to me and gave me a $100 prize...

And...

I was thinking that if someone wanted to just get rid of their segway, you need not feel bad, or leave it in the trash, you should just think of me as your own private segway safe haven... Just let me know, and drop it off...

Or, you could leave it plugged in and weather protected, and then post here clues to its whereabouts... Then you could have a segwaychat based geo cash setup kind of thing...

wwhopper
06-08-2009, 03:27 PM
II was thinking that if someone wanted to just get rid of their segway, you need not feel bad, or leave it in the trash, you should just think of me as your own private segway safe haven... Just let me know, and drop it off...

Or, you could leave it plugged in and weather protected, and then post here clues to its whereabouts... Then you could have a segwaychat based geo cash setup kind of thing...

I can see a group now forming.

Now to come up with a place where those rescued Segways can live out their lives in harmony and saftey!

KSagal
06-08-2009, 04:23 PM

Now to come up with a place where those rescued Segways can live out their lives in harmony and saftey!

If you give me your segway, I will happily give you a greyhound!

martinbogo
06-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Woof. Woof.

gbrandwood
06-09-2009, 07:47 AM

Yes! The term over here would be "Segway Recycling". Don't throw away your old and tired (maybe non-working) Segway Personal Transporter, instead, allow us to recycle and restore it. :) Remember, a Segway is for life, not just for Christmas!

Five-Flags
06-09-2009, 07:32 PM

I have a lovely place in Florida where they wouldn't suffer the harsh weather and winters.... :D :D :D :D

KSagal
06-09-2009, 09:05 PM
hey Hey! I got first dibs! I said that I would offer the service first... Sort of...:rolleyes:

Anyway, I surely have never happened upon a tossed away segway or anything else of comparable value... But one day...

Five-Flags
06-10-2009, 03:48 PM
hey Hey! I got first dibs! I said that I would offer the service first... Sort of...:rolleyes:

Yes, but you'll have to admit that the surroundings and climate are far gentler for a poor, aging Segway to relax and enjoy its remaining days here in sunny Florida... :D :) :D :) :D

KSagal
06-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Yes, but you'll have to admit that the surroundings and climate are far gentler for a poor, aging Segway to relax and enjoy its remaining days here in sunny Florida... :D :) :D :) :D

My good friend and neighbor across the street is 87, living there with his 84 year old wife... My friend and neighbor next door is 80, living here with his 81 year old wife...

Not every senior desires to go to the sun belt, though many do. My own mother moved from Connecticut to Las Vegas when she retired...

I could provide a nice cushy life for any retired segways that look to me for relief from the trash heap... And if they tell me that they want to go south, I will let you know... We can set up an underground railroad or some such thing for them...:rolleyes: