PDA

View Full Version : Can you ride Segway on a supercross track ?

philippeseg
05-27-2009, 02:44 AM
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQU0C19eVvc

Gihgehls
05-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Segway newbies, take note. The handlebars are too low, and if you want to see how NOT to climb hills, jump to 5:20 in the video. See how he thinks he is leaning forward, but is actually just sticking out his butt?

KSagal
05-27-2009, 08:33 PM
So, I don't have much experience on X2s... Do they have more torque and more climb than an i2? I know they have more float on soft sand, and more absorption of bumps, but do they really have more climb?

behindblueeyes
05-28-2009, 08:17 AM
It looks like fun. I wish I were there. How high should he have the handle bar? It looks good to me. Any higher and it moves to his chest.

Gihgehls
05-28-2009, 11:09 AM
So, I don't have much experience on X2s... Do they have more torque and more climb than an i2? I know they have more float on soft sand, and more absorption of bumps, but do they really have more climb?

At ~2.5 HP per motor, while they don't have as much torque (not sure what you mean by climb.... ability to climb?) as an i2, they have far more traction. This makes low speed (high torque) climbs easier and safer. If by "more climb" you mean "more ability to climb" then overall i'd say yes, they do have more climb.

KSagal
05-28-2009, 01:47 PM
At ~2.5 HP per motor, while they don't have as much torque (not sure what you mean by climb.... ability to climb?) as an i2, they have far more traction. This makes low speed (high torque) climbs easier and safer. If by "more climb" you mean "more ability to climb" then overall i'd say yes, they do have more climb.

I was watching the X2 struggling with some of the steeper climbs in that video... I was wondering how an i2 would do in the exact same video. ( I Know that it would have more problem with loose surfaces, but much of that seems pretty well packed tight.)

I was also thinking of my lawn mowers... I pull a rotary mower behind my i2. I have a gang of three, but climbing a hill on my lawn makes this much drag a bit too much. I don't loose traction, as I have some ett tires on, but at some points, the forward motion is gone, and stick shake is real, because not only the weight of the mowers being pulled, but the drag is greater because the wheels turn gears which turn the blades... I was wondering if the X2 would pull in this situation better...

I have already asked someone who knows, and received my answer which I believe is correct, but was curious what the consensus is...

Gihgehls
05-28-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm glad you got some information, but I'm unhappy you aren't sharing it. Anyway, it's hard to make a direct comparison between models because the software is different. If you converted an i2 to an x2 so that the software was the only different thing, you'd find that the true x2 would tollerate being pushed around more than the i2, and that it would give you stick shake later.

gbrandwood
06-08-2009, 04:41 AM
I've just watched the video in full. First comment is that the x2 has some BMX style handlebars fitted which actually look okay in my opinon - plus the cross bar on it would be great as a 3rd handle (like the accessory bar) and of course a good platform for mounting several accessories.

As for the x2 versus i2s capabilities on this track - I would also like to see how a standard i2 performs and also an i2 with knobbly tyres on it.

As already stated above, I think the key thing here is that the x2 has software tuned for harsher environments and of course the tyres on the x2 are supreme for these environments. The x2 should beat an i2 hands down here. Otherwise Segway's off-road model is not really offering the off-roader much benefit.

Araneanz
09-30-2009, 04:51 AM
I've just watched the video in full. First comment is that the x2 has some BMX style handlebars fitted which actually look okay in my opinon - plus the cross bar on it would be great as a 3rd handle (like the accessory bar) and of course a good platform for mounting several accessories.

As for the x2 versus i2s capabilities on this track - I would also like to see how a standard i2 performs and also an i2 with knobbly tyres on it.

As already stated above, I think the key thing here is that the x2 has software tuned for harsher environments and of course the tyres on the x2 are supreme for these environments. The x2 should beat an i2 hands down here. Otherwise Segway's off-road model is not really offering the off-roader much benefit.

Based on my limited experience an i2 with the x2 kit installed should perform just as well an x2. Using the knobbly tires vs the standard i2 tires on a BMX track make a lot of difference.

Naturally, the users gliding style does make a lot of difference on how the i2/x2 will perform.

gbrandwood
09-30-2009, 07:55 AM
Based on my limited experience an i2 with the x2 kit installed should perform just as well an x2.Whilst I'm sure your FrankenSeg (:)) works fine, I recall specific references being made, by Segway INC, between the two models in terms of software. Actually, the comparison was made between an XT and Gen1 i series. Therefore I can only assume that a native x2 will perform better in some situations better than a converted model.

There's only one way to tell. We'd have to put the same rider on the same course with both machines (one at a time of course!) and video the results and record the rider's feedback. Do the test with a good rider and maybe with someone without as much experience. I'd be interested to know if any differences are perceptible.

But I agree that your gliding style will probably have the biggest overall effect.

Joushou
09-30-2009, 10:33 AM
I believe the x2 allows bigger "bursts" of torque, while the i2 would growl and roll back down.

gbrandwood
09-30-2009, 04:27 PM
That would make sense. I also recall something about allowing for catching a little more air time, before the base assumes the rider isn't actually present and shuts down.

Joushou
09-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Well, i can remove one foot for several seconds before it complains, but it goes into RBM after less than half a second, if no sensors are depressed.

gbrandwood
09-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Listen to Jon Stevens, Product Developer @ Segway, talking about the design of the XT - hardware and software.

I'm guessing if a drop of about 0.5 seconds triggers RBM on an x2, it will be slightly less on an i2. Nothing really specific given away in the video but several definite references are made to changes in the software.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALu3KhLGnTY

Araneanz
10-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Whilst I'm sure your FrankenSeg (:)) works fine, .

:) I like it! FrankenSeg does have a nice ring to it, my Segway just got a new name.

I forgot to mention in my post that FrankenSeg seems to go faster with the x2 tires on. GPS reports max speed of 20.5 kmph vs 19.5 with the i2s in place.

Must get my hands on a real x2 to experiment with!:)

Joushou
10-01-2009, 05:02 PM
It does indeed go faster, as the wheels are larger...

scoob5o
10-01-2009, 10:08 PM
i bought an x2 and at the same time ordered the wheels for i2 usage the type of riding i do i prefer the x2 setup.. i have only mounted the i2 wheels once for the weekend and i found the other advantages of a smaller footprint as far as the handeling i didn't really notice a difference other than i could feel every pebble i ran over. and of course more battery life:thumbsup:

Joushou
10-02-2009, 05:39 AM
You will gain way more battery-life, as you're not actually going 20km/h anymore, AND you have less traction! ;)

I was also interested in the i2 setup for a while, but when i notice times where my turf-tires have a hard time getting traction, i don't want to know what i2-wheels would have done... :S

Someone should make an ATV-rim at half-width :D

gbrandwood
10-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Another difference between FrankenSeg and a native x2 is the LeanSteer Frame. Why does the x2 have that chunky frame with a slot in it? Does anyone know? I know it looks a bit tougher - and I originally thought it was reinforced, but it is clearly intended for something else.

Joushou
10-08-2009, 09:02 AM
It is a very strong reinforcement, but yes, it does indeed look like it got another intention... No clue what, though

gbrandwood
10-08-2009, 09:23 AM
It is a very strong reinforcement, but yes, it does indeed look like it got another intention... No clue what, though
It might add some strength to the structure but I think this is only incidental and not it's primary aim (I think the LSF is already rock solid and would not be the part I would focus on if something in particular needed to be reinforced on an x2). Someone must know... it's been there since its release back in 2006... Personally I think it is a bit ugly and doesn't make sense to me for INC to be manufacturing two different parts, unless, there is a reason for it.

Joushou
10-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Agreed, it's not pretty... Makes it look a bit more "rugged" though...

But take a look at that bend on the i2 LSF... Notice the reinforcements, that aren't present on the x2... They're welded/soldered onto the LSF of the i2.

Gihgehls
10-08-2009, 01:56 PM
When Doug Field was asked if the extra bar on the x2 LSF is for extra strength, his only answer was "It sure looks cool..."

Joushou
10-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Heh... If it weren't because of the "i2" text on the i2's LSF, i would probably got one of those... And if i paint it over, i lose the Segway laser-etching! D':