PDA

View Full Version : saying hello

djgr
05-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Just got a segway (I think)
Going to shorten the story, a disabled friend bought a segway on E-bay only to discover he couldn't use it effectively.
We had a scooter so traded straight across.
We have lots of questions, the biggest being Where do we find the serial #, manufacturer #, the only # I've found so far belong to the handlebar grips and the battery pack?
Any way looking forward to talking to everyone and making use of my new toy.
djgr

bentbiker
05-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Going to shorten the story, a disabled friend bought a segway on E-bay only to discover he couldn't use it effectively.
We have lots of questions, the biggest being Where do we find the serial #, manufacturer #, the only # I've found so far belong to the handlebar grips and the battery pack?
djgr
Not sure what you mean by "I think", but welcome. Neither your profile nor the post states which model you have, but I believe all models have the serial number on a label on the rear edge of the platform. You may have to lift the edge of the mat slightly (you do on the i2 -- right mat).

Your question indicates that you probably didn't receive the manuals -- or at least you haven't yet read them. I strongly recommend that you read these and watch the safety video. The i2 and X2 manuals and video are available for download at:
http://www.segway.com/support/manuals-guides.php

The older models' manuals and video are at:
http://www.segway.com/support/manuals-guides-archive.php

jgbackes
05-04-2009, 02:21 PM
If you want to see pictures of all of the models and read up on various topics including tires and batteries,

Check out the Segway WIKI at

http://social.segway.com/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

Lots of stuff for the newcomers and old timers there.

jeff

djgr

cocosan
05-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Not sure what you mean by "I think", but welcome. Neither your profile nor the post states which model you have, but I believe all models have the serial number on a label on the rear edge of the platform. You may have to lift the edge of the mat slightly (you do on the i2 -- right mat).

Five-Flags
05-12-2009, 07:07 PM

Is there an echo echo echo echo echo around here??? :D :rolleyes: :eek: ;) :)

bentbiker
05-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Is there an echo echo echo echo echo around here??? :D :rolleyes: :eek: ;) :)

Yeah, I sent an alert to Will about the first 3 posts this guy made. Somebody is trying to get off of moderation so that he can do something to the site (spam?). I know Will kept him on moderation, but I see no reason why this should be tolerated. He's copied two previous posts and posted paragraphs that had nothing to do with the thread on two others. I think the site is better sans cocosan.

MTOBATTERY
05-13-2009, 10:58 AM
A long time ago I moderated a board and as mod we could see the IP of the poster. We would compare the IP to others registered on the site and find out that many people would try to get numerous screen names to play games...

Bob.Kerns
05-13-2009, 12:18 PM
A long time ago I moderated a board and as mod we could see the IP of the poster. We would compare the IP to others registered on the site and find out that many people would try to get numerous screen names to play games...

True. But you'd also see false positives, due to proxy servers, NAT, dynamic IP allocation by ISPs, and in some cases, anonymizers. Not to mention, shared computers, either in the home, or in public places (cafes, libraries).

For example, if you look at my IP, and if you look at my wife's IP, and my daughters', and my other computers, you'd see, from where you sit, all the same IP address.

The point being, that while the IP address is a useful clue, it needs to be used with awareness of its limitations. Banning IP addresses often does more harm than good. When dialups were common, the offender would usually have a different IP next time, while that IP might block others from his area randomly.

That's still true of most wired broadband connections, but since they're always on, they change IP addresses only occasionally. But wireless devices change their IP quite frequently. And are sometimes proxied -- meaning a large group of people will share the same IP. Or if not proxied, they may be behind a NAT, with the same result.

iPhones, for example. My iPhone currently has addresses 10.81.6.195, 192.192.88.93. But those addresses are private addresses that cannot be used on the exterior internet. Somewhere, ATT is translating the 10.811.6.195 address when it forwards traffic to my phone, and you'll see something else. And the 192.168.88.93 is translated by my wireless router, and again by my cable modem, and what you'll see is 76.126.178.243. And that's what you'll currently see for all computers at this location. (Including my iPhone, since it's using my wireless here. But when I leave, that will change).

You can see this in operation -- check your computer's IP address, and then go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ and see what it says your IP address is. For most people these days, these will be two different numbers.

If you have reason to think someone is creating bogus accounts, the IP address can be important confirming/disconfirming evidence. But it's not conclusive by itself.