PDA

View Full Version : turtle mode wont turn off! help!

nassau98
04-30-2009, 03:47 AM
Hi there, new here!
Our brand new i2 will not allow the speed limiter to turn off. All other functions are fine with the info key (on off; alter speeds etc)

When the turtle button is pressed, the numerical display shows flashing lines, the turtle flashes, but then remains, and the numerical display returns.

any ideas?

dgbint
04-30-2009, 04:39 AM
New out of the box, yes, you are correct, the infokey is locked in beginner mode.

That was deliberately done, so that most people would go out and have their initial fun, and they had to be in beginner mode. They had no choice.

If you read the manual, it will tell you how to simply press a few keys, and unlock this lock.

Most people glide a fair bit, before they sit down and read the manual.

It would be defeating the purpose of this safety feature if we gave you the answer too easily.

Michael

wwhopper
04-30-2009, 07:23 AM
That is what I tell all the new gliders, they so want to go out full bore and wreck the machine in the first 5 miles of usage.

Your suppose to learn how to use it first, then you get moved up to the faster speed.

SegNerd
05-07-2009, 06:22 PM
That is what I tell all the new gliders, they so want to go out full bore and wreck the machine in the first 5 miles of usage.

Your suppose to learn how to use it first, then you get moved up to the faster speed.

Hmm... too bad my first-gen didn't work like that. I first crashed my once, and had it stolen once, and THEN I learned how to use it. :eek:

dgbint
05-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Hmm... too bad my first-gen didn't work like that.

Oh !
Didn't you get a black key ?
Did you elect not to use it ?

Hmm ....

Michael

nassau98
05-10-2009, 12:30 AM
i WILL try reading the manual in future ;)

Bob.Kerns
05-10-2009, 01:19 PM
i WILL try reading the manual in future ;)

After recently forgetting how to do this and finding myself stuck in turtle-land, I threw the manual onto my iPhone with ReaddleDocs (there are several suitable alternative apps, but I like this one).

Now I always have the manual with me if I need to remember something -- most recently, how much torque to use on the lug nuts.

SegNerd
05-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Oh !
Didn't you get a black key ?
Did you elect not to use it ?

Hmm ....

Michael

Yes, I have all the keys, and I started out with the black training key. I just moved ahead to full speed when I thought I was ready, and it turns out I probably wasn't quite ready.

I guess you have a point that this could still happen with an i2, although the safeguard it apparently uses would be a more effective method of judging your readiness than just guessing. :)

KSagal
05-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Yes, I have all the keys, and I started out with the black training key. I just moved ahead to full speed when I thought I was ready, and it turns out I probably wasn't quite ready.

I guess you have a point that this could still happen with an i2, although the safeguard it apparently uses would be a more effective method of judging your readiness than just guessing. :)

I dunno...

When I got my first segway in 2003, it came with clear instructions that you were supposed to charge it for 12 hours after you assemble it, before you ride it...

Like most of the early owners, I did assemble the machine and plug it in. I then read everything that was in the box, and watched the video. Then started the video a second time, and said the heck with that, and took the segway for a short glide before it was completely charged...

Had I gotten my i2 first, I suspect that I would do something similar...

I did get a very early i2, and did the same basic thing... I read while I was filling time while assembly and early charging, which I did not do very much... And I did glide right away, and it was stuck in turtle mode. I then went right to the book, and re-read...

Of course, I did not know of this site back in 2003, and there were no dealers to speak of near here (I went to the factory to buy) and there were no tours either, so my first exposure to an actual segway was at my purchase...

Now, lots of people have some exposure to segway via tours or dealers before they get home with their own first segways, and here is where a little knowledge is just enough to get you into trouble.

I would not worry too much about not reading the manual before gliding. Although many here will not admit it, they mostly all fall into the same traps as you did... It is exciting to get your seg home, and very very hard to wait for anything before those first few fun glides...

Lily Kerns
05-11-2009, 09:10 PM
If all else fails, read the manual!